Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Look man just because he's got a huge crush on the robot and isn't even that weird about it doesn't mean she's his girlfriend.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Junpei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Junpei?

Junpei didn't have a crush on a robot. He had a crush on a very real non-robotic girl.

Yosuke's arena story just has him obviously crushing on Labrys. It's understandable really, Labrys is extremely cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Junpei didn't have a crush on a robot. He had a crush on a very real non-robotic girl.

Yosuke's arena story just has him obviously crushing on Labrys. It's understandable really, Labrys is extremely cool.

Ahh, gotcha.

My secret shame is I haven't gotten around to playing the Persona 4 Arena games yet. They're even sitting on my shelf :negative:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Those of you who started NG+ with max social stats - how much extra time did that net you w/r/t building confidants? I plan on maxing everyone in this run and wanted to know how much I'd have to min/max my time.

I've seen people say they've maxed all confidants in NG+ by mid-October, or close to it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Don't forget about Takemi's Dekunda and Dekaja items that say they're single-target even though they're actually all-targeting :)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

I've seen people say they've maxed all confidants in NG+ by mid-October, or close to it.

Given that Empress doesn't unlock until the end of October, that seems intriguing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Given that Empress doesn't unlock until the end of October, that seems intriguing.

Ah, good point. They might've meant "basically everything except Empress" then, I dunno :v:

Given that Empress should easily rank up with every hangout it probably wouldn't take more than, what, three weeks to max her out? So if you have most other things maxed then mid to late November should be easily doable. (I did appreciate that they recognized how late Empress unlocked and so gave you a ton of dialog choices that give a ton of points in each one of her hangouts.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I took longer but that was because I was being incredibly inefficient.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Supremezero posted:

I guess you can take it to mean all 'possible' confidants. Obviously the ones that are unlocked later won't apply and by then you'll be able to devote your full attention to them. So saying mid-october for finishing outstanding links still seems plausible.

I maxed out Ann (my first rank 10 in ng+) before I even started on Makoto's.

One thing I wish they would change is the avilability of nighttime confidants in the early game. For the first few months after being allowed to wander around at night I had nothing to do and then as soon as Shinjuku becomes available i have to start juggling about 5-6 different night-owl links.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This has made Yosuke extremely relatable to me.

Character redeemed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

This has made Yosuke extremely relatable to me.

Character redeemed

don't admit this kind of thing on the internet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

don't admit this kind of thing on the internet
absolutely lmfao that that's the puddle of mud you're gonna drag me through, the robot with the boston accent is cute, oh noooo

I've been evangelizing Goro for a month now, I am unstoppable

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

absolutely lmfao that that's the puddle of mud you're gonna drag me through, the robot with the boston accent is cute, oh noooo

I've been evangelizing Goro for a month now, I am unstoppable

No no no

Goro and Robot Girls are good

Admitting you find Yosuke relatable though...

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

No no no

I think most of us would be lying if we said there wasn't a bit of us in him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Instant Grat posted:

Don't forget about Takemi's Dekunda and Dekaja items that say they're single-target even though they're actually all-targeting :)

They are all targeting? Seriously?

I just never used them because I thought they were single target...

But anyway, how useful. How incredibly useful.

Frees up skill slots for me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No no no

Yosuke can be kind of a shithead. You might be surprised to hear that almost everybody was kind of a shithead when they were teens as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

No no no

Let's not front here, Yosuke liking cute robot girls is probably his most human character trait

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hunt11 posted:

Yosuke can be kind of a shithead. You might be surprised to hear that almost everybody was kind of a shithead when they were teens as well.

was i a shithead in highschool? hmm let me think
* Weighed 60 pounds
* Best friend was a bear (long story)
* Wore a trash can to school every day
* Had the words "no homo" instead of a mouth

derra
Dec 29, 2012
My FeMC would date Junpei if he was available but had to settle for Shinjiro.

Ai is the best P4 girl.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

freshlybaked posted:

I think most of us would be lying if we said there wasn't a bit of us in him.

Yeah, it's one of those white lies you never own up to though.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I trust this thread's judgement greatly. Is Tales of Berseria worth it? I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia greatly. Would I enjoy Yakuza Zero if I've never played a Yakuza game before? The gameplay seems stiff.

EDIT: I'm trying to fill the abyss that beating Persona 5 has left behind.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

JackDarko posted:

Would I enjoy Yakuza Zero if I've never played a Yakuza game before? The gameplay seems stiff.

Yes yes yes yes yes. It's a prequel to the whole series, so you'll miss out on a few "oh it's that guy from the other game, cool to see him here"-moments, but there's nothing that requires knowledge of the rest of the series to have a blast beating burly men over the head with bicycles and traffic cones

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza and I absolutely loved it and I didn't even beat it. The combat isn't graceful, but got just enough nuance and style to be fun. The only problem with 0 is that since it's the newest, it'll make going on to past Yakuza's difficult due to QoL improvements, but they're releasing a remake of the first Yakuza this summer for PS4 in the style of 0 for only $30 and there's talk of the same for the second, so there's never been a better time to play a Yakuza game.

I've never played a Tales game in me life, but I've also heard just the world of Berseria.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also if you wanna get into Yakuza, Kiwami, which is a remake of the first, is coming out soon for a cool 30.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I've never played Yakuza games before I got 0 and it kicks rear end, it's very serious and well done on the story side but the side missions get really wacky and have a ton of goofy charm to them. The tone of the game can be all over the place which sounds like a negative but really is a huge plus, you might find yourself in one moment in a cinematic fistfight one of the heads of the Yakuza who chased you down a sewer on a motorcycle, and in the next moment be cusomizing your car for slot car races, then be running a cabaret club, then fight a giant man who is like 10 feet tall and carries around millions of yen.

Yakuza owns, it's a really hard game to describe until you play it but there is a ton of game there and if you enjoy the kind of dual nature of it it's fantastic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I trust this thread's judgement greatly. Is Tales of Berseria worth it? I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia greatly. Would I enjoy Yakuza Zero if I've never played a Yakuza game before? The gameplay seems stiff.

Berseria has a number of annoyances like an uneven dub (the voices themselves, the script is fine except for a few places in lategame sidequests where the translation totally throws a screw and turns into Babelfish nonsense), a mostly unremarkable soundtrack, and an equipment/inventory system that drowns you in trash loot. But it's still a strong RPG overall and definitely the best one in the Tales series since Vesperia, and with the added benefit of actually maintaining its story up to the finale.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I trust this thread's judgement greatly. Is Tales of Berseria worth it?
Yes, absolutely.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yakuza 2 has a side mission where you beat up a room full of diaper-clad body guards being forced into age play by their adult baby fetishist mobster boss (who you also get to beat up)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Q: Should I play [insert Yakuza game here]

A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPNQ9IX9VIc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to get back to my copy of Yakuza 2 that I got when they did the reprint.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

JackDarko posted:

ToB is my 1st completed Tales of series game and it's good. I clocked in 56 hrs but I haven't done all the side quests yet.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I just realised I never found the black market on my first playthrough. I will rectify this mistake immediately.

What benefits does Tanaka and his shady business give though? Is it even worth it?

I bought the Laptop, but I thought it was something Futaba would fix. Oops.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you buy like 100k worth of stuff from him, I think you can buy absurdly good armor that needs washing? Don't quote me on that, I haven't put enough money into shady commodities to do it myself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza and I absolutely loved it and I didn't even beat it. The combat isn't graceful, but got just enough nuance and style to be fun. The only problem with 0 is that since it's the newest, it'll make going on to past Yakuza's difficult due to QoL improvements, but they're releasing a remake of the first Yakuza this summer for PS4 in the style of 0 for only $30 and there's talk of the same for the second, so there's never been a better time to play a Yakuza game.

I've never played a Tales game in me life, but I've also heard just the world of Berseria.

There aren't really that many QoL improvements that are going to make playing old games hard going in the Yakuza series honestly. The biggest change was going to the 3D camera for everything in Yakuza 3. You can probably pick up any of 3, 4, 5, 0 or Kiwami(the remake of 1) later this year and not miss much of anything. It'd be gaming's greatest injustice if Yakuza 2 doesn't get a Kiwami level remake to bring it up to the same overall gameplay level of the rest of the series. (Many think it's the best Yakuza game as is).

Where as with Persona 5, if you go back to Persona 4 (Golden), you're going to get really annoyed at pressing triangle to open your persona menu and activating rush mode and having to menu navigate to guard and stuff.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 9, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I just realised I never found the black market on my first playthrough. I will rectify this mistake immediately.

What benefits does Tanaka and his shady business give though? Is it even worth it?

I bought the Laptop, but I thought it was something Futaba would fix. Oops.

Tanaka is absolutely worth repairing the laptop for. They sell transmutable items (Black Stones, Kogatanas, etc.) for a very reasonable rate, and they also give you access to some of the game's strongest accessories.

Plus they also sell washable armor for really low prices, so you'll likely get a good piece of armor for relatively little investment. Basically, you'll never have to buy armor from Iwai again once you have access to the market.

Edit: You do need to put some money into them to get access to the good stuff, but it's very easy to do so by buying an accessory or two. 100k is easy to get with a Mementos run or by using the money trick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ChaosArgate posted:

If you buy like 100k worth of stuff from him, I think you can buy absurdly good armor that needs washing? Don't quote me on that, I haven't put enough money into shady commodities to do it myself.

Yea if you spend 100k, you can buy 2x unindentified armor each time that will give you armor that is slightly better than the current palace you doing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I just realised I never found the black market on my first playthrough.

I'm sorry, the what now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ometeotl posted:

I'm sorry, the what now?

Buy the broken laptop from the 2nd-hand store, get the PC toolkit in akihabara and spend a night fixing it at your desk. And you'll find out just why the Sunday Shopping program doesnt have your old friend anymore...

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Anyone who didn't once buy from the black market for the whole game should've automatically gotten the bad ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

I'm sorry, the what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKprYUc8Fs