Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

They probably wouldn't even sniff your corpse if you died.

They will as they are obligate carnivores

Pick posted:

I still have that Rockstar because that is one of the only things he ever gave me to remember him by.

This is v funny but also :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
pick your friend sounds like a hugh dick tbh

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it is good to have a cat

Me [25 M] with my cat [3 M] 1.5 years, is my cat going to forget me?

u/willmycatrememberme

quote:

So I'll get right to it: I'm currently all the way across the country, separated from my cat, and have been for about a month now. I still have a month left in this city for an amazing opportunity I got from my college. It's great but there's one problem.

My SO (27 M, 1.5 years, friends for 12 years) is currently taking care of my cat. We adopted the cat together shortly after he moved in. We both have never had a pet before, so this is our first "dad" experience.

We both love our cat. He is genuinely a sweet and loving little guy. I suffer from childhood PTSD, anxiety, depression, blah blah and honestly getting this cat probably saved my life. He's my little buddy. He follows me and my SO from room to room, greets you at the door, sits on your lap, hangs out with you when you study in the living room even till 4 am, doesn't fight when you try to cut his nails, lets you pick him up--he's great.

Being away from him sucks. I keep thinking I hear his little bell. I used him as an alarm clock because he knows I'm supposed to feed him in the morning (and SO feeds him at night).

But now I'm gone and my SO is handling all of that and I guess I'm a little embarrassed to say I have nightmares of coming home and him not recognizing me or not caring about me anymore. He still reacts when I say his name over FaceTime but he doesn't "get" it because cats and phones.

Also, my SO will be moving because our lease is ending, so when I come back he'll be in a totally new/different environment!

So I guess I'm looking for experiences or anecdotes about cats and coming back after a while. I know my cat is probably more bonded to my SO at this point than me but will he forget me completely with the length of time I'll be gone and the stress of moving?

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: I'm doing an internship across the country for 2.5 months. My cat is back home with my SO and my SO and my cat will be moving to a new place soon. Will he forget me when I come back?

ETA: Thank you so much for all your replies. I'm trying to get back to them individually but I'm getting overwhelmed. This was my first post on Reddit. I'll update you all next month to let you know if my cat recognized me or not, haha!!

:3:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Pick posted:

I still have that Rockstar because that is one of the only things he ever gave me to remember him by.

Goddamn Pick, goddamn

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

for sale: 1 rockstar, never opened

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

pick your friend sounds like a hugh dick tbh

Everyone says this, so why did he throw me away when I am conventionally desirable?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

being left holding the bag (of cats)

Me [39F] with my friend [60'sF] Have been house and cat sitting (approx 20 cats). She has now been gone the time frame agreed but is showing no sign of returning, and is now not responding to emails....

u/enolaalone76

quote:

Hi, I'm stuck as what to do here, so any impartial advice much appreciated!

My 'friend' (I'm using the term loosely as of now) and I both live in rural Italy. I normally live in the neighbouring village, 10 minutes away. She needed to return the her native New Zealand for a duration of 2-3 months and as I was only renting my house, it made sense for both of us for me to stay in her house while she was away as she has approx 20 cats that need feeding etc. Plus I also do house-sitting, key holding and pet sitting as a job.

The problem is that we're now at the 3 month point and she is showing no signs of returning, I gave her a months notice of my intention to leave at the start of February to which she agreed but she's now stopped responding to emails and facebook messages (I know she's seen them).

I've stayed here rent-free but have paid my usage of the utility bills and my food etc. We're now into the coldest months of the year here, and her house is huge (15 rooms). Her central heating system is faulty, and half of the radiators are unable to be turned off. It is now costing me more to live here just paying gas and electric than if I'm at my new place paying rent plus bills.

She was sending me money for cat food so that wasn't an issue and if it wasn't for the cats I would lock up the house and leave. She also has a dog who has been staying with a family in my village, but they're now angry at her failure to return and are wanting me to take the dog too..

I've sent a final email stating that I can no longer financially stay, but no response. And its not just the money, I know no-one in this village and if we get the usual 4ft of snow I risk being stuck here, plus the time it takes to clean up after 20 cats whilst I also have to work. I've just about had enough!

Edit: I should add that I don't drive, otherwise I could move out and return to feed the cats and the buses are infrequent so I'd have to stay all day here anyway...

tl;dr: House sitting for for friend for agreed 3 months but she's not showing signs of returning, has 20 cats here so I can't just leave...help!

this woman is living the dream. a 15 room estate in the Italian countryside with your 20 cats? hopefully I can retire half as well

the bitcoin of weed fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Everyone says this, so why did he throw me away when I am conventionally desirable?

Don't stick your dick in crazy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

being left holding the bag (of cats)

Me [39F] with my friend [60'sF] Have been house and cat sitting (approx 20 cats). She has now been gone the time frame agreed but is showing no sign of returning, and is now not responding to emails....

u/enolaalone76

lmao I'm so glad for once my wish came true

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's what the Ovipositor is for!

Blue Train posted:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Haifisch posted:

Part of me wanted to give him a pc of my mind

this is from several pages back but it made me laugh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Train posted:

If you died he would eat you

There are stories of dogs doing this too. Maybe the real lesson is that humans are just wasteful

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Maximum dweebage

I [27/M] left my wallet on the plane now I have to blow off the girl I REALLY like [25/F]. HELP ME!!

rofl i wonder if he knows that he could have just asked someone who works for the airline at arrivals if they've seen his wallet

i've accidentally done that once but after talking to someone who worked for the airline, they told me they have to clean the plane and likely would find it and what you know, they did

i bet his wallet is still in the airport lost and found

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

There are stories of dogs doing this too. Maybe the real lesson is that humans are just wasteful

:capitalism:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

I once read a story of someone dying and their hamster built a burrow with their skin/hair/fat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

I once read a story of someone dying and their hamster built a burrow with their skin/hair/fat.

See now​ this is love

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Love is having someone to put the gun to your temple on your behalf

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He always seemed to have a really good time when we were together but then he'd get arbitrarily mad and start talking about his l'esprit d'escalier experiences after having a fight with the person installing his new windows and then say "you have to leave" or even if it was an arranged time for me to come by he'd say "I didn't want you here."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sounds like you should be more considerate of his ptsd

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

new phone who dis posted:

Maybe one day she will realize it's a class thing but unlikely.

My ex had basically the white trashiest of white trash families. His dad was a literal biker, there was mad drama at his sister's wedding because one of her bridesmaids got busted for dealing meth the day before, that sort of thing.

My Iranian boyfriend with middlingly observant Muslim parents was walk in the loving park compared to that.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

My ex had basically the white trashiest of white trash families. His dad was a literal biker, there was mad drama at his sister's wedding because one of her bridesmaids got busted for dealing meth the day before, that sort of thing.

My Iranian boyfriend with middlingly observant Muslim parents was walk in the loving park compared to that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pick posted:

He always seemed to have a really good time when we were together but then he'd get arbitrarily mad and start talking about his l'esprit d'escalier experiences after having a fight with the person installing his new windows and then say "you have to leave" or even if it was an arranged time for me to come by he'd say "I didn't want you here."

Pick why do you keep posting about this really douchey dude. He's an rear end in a top hat, that pretty much covers it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blue Train posted:

Don't glue your coo on Hugh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don't glue your coo on Hugh

Actually pick is the crazy one in that scenario and I was answering her question

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

Pick why do you keep posting about this really douchey dude. He's an rear end in a top hat, that pretty much covers it.

Because I still want to understand what the gently caress happened.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Meridian posted:

If SA is still up in 2028 this thread will still be hearing about Hugh and his microspine or whatever it is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He's the one that got away, which is ironic.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Pick posted:

Meridian posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat, that pretty much covers it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pick posted:

You have a bad personality so you are left with the guys that have been rejected by women who have dignity, self-respect and standards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like isn't the dream of deeply embittered strange-looking shy guys that an attractive, well-mannered, fiscally responsible blonde with a big heart and even bigger boobs shows up and is endlessly patient and supportive and loving and that he learns to love again?? Why was he just a dick instead?

I felt like my patience and love was meant for greater things than just getting along with someone who was doing fine anyway.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

How big of boobs are we talking

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah as soon as she got to the brothers well-connected and upper class girlfriend it was immediately clear these are just gladhanding waspy aristocratic types but then she had to bring race into it. lady he doesn't hate your country and culture because it's brown, he hates it because it's poor (the brownness definitely helps though)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Pick posted:

Like isn't the dream of deeply embittered strange-looking shy guys that an attractive, well-mannered, fiscally responsible blonde with a big heart and even bigger boobs shows up and is endlessly patient and supportive and loving and that he learns to love again?? Why was he just a dick instead?

I felt like my patience and love was meant for greater things than just getting along with someone who was doing fine anyway.

I tick many of the same boxes and because of that, I get access to cool and good and attractive dudes who are good at socializing and expressing their emotions.

Maybe try that?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pick posted:

Like isn't the dream of deeply embittered strange-looking shy guys that an attractive, well-mannered, fiscally responsible blonde with a big heart and even bigger boobs shows up and is endlessly patient and supportive and loving and that he learns to love again??

Lmao no it's to be hit by a speeding bus you idiot

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pick posted:

Have you considered dating HIV+ guys? Some of them are really great guys but they are also kind of like scratch and dent so maybe they are willing to lower their standards enough for you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I have a tarantula and I do not think she would notice if I died

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

I tick many of the same boxes and because of that, I get access to cool and good and attractive dudes who are good at socializing and expressing their emotions.

Maybe try that?

Then why do you post here? I'm trying to substitute for a love my parents were never able to express towards me, what's your excuse :colbert:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Pick posted:

Why? I mean, it's lovely that things turned sour and the guy wasn't a cool dude or a good friend and everything, but I think it's pretty safe to say that's on him and you don't need to analyze the entire relationship trying to figure out what you did wrong or whatever. Can still do the whole self improvement thing without having it be about that failed friendship.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't think that any of my pets would notice if I was dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blue Train posted:

Actually pick is the crazy one in that scenario and I was answering her question

Wow go gently caress your self I spent a lot of time at my desk coming up with that rhyme instead of doing my job.