Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vargatron posted:

The bottom of my tub is stained from the previous tenants and I don't know what I can do to clean it.

God I'd post pictures of my bathroom but I'm self conscious.

Tubchat itt.

Before you buy a bunch of harsh chemicals I'd recommend trying those "magic erasers". I know you can get the Mr. Clean brand but theres also probably a store brand version that's a bit cheaper depending on where you go. You just get them wet, use some elbow grease and they do wonders. I use them to get hard water stains off my fiberglass shower insert and they work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Vargatron, I can't remember the name of the product I use but my tub was equally as stained and horrible when my now-wife moved in. I went to the cleaning aisle of the local big box home improvement store and read the contents and warning blurbs on every bottle of tub cleaner till I found the one with the nastiest, most exotic sounding organic/fatty acids and the heartiest warnings on it, then applied it enthusiastically, draped rags (note: ones I didn't expect to keep after) over it to keep it from all running down the drain, left it for about 5 minutes and scrubbed the gently caress out of it with gloves. A few repetitions of that and the tub looked drat near brand new after.

Kelp Me! posted:

I stayed in a hotel in Shenzhen years ago that had a pretty dope bathroom:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sirotan posted:

Before you buy a bunch of harsh chemicals I'd recommend trying those "magic erasers". I know you can get the Mr. Clean brand but theres also probably a store brand version that's a bit cheaper depending on where you go.

$5 for 100 on AliExpress.

Keep in mind that it is abrasive. I'm not sure what the cutoff is for how hard something needs to be for that not to be an issue.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Toast Museum posted:

$5 for 100 on AliExpress.

Keep in mind that it is abrasive. I'm not sure what the cutoff is for how hard something needs to be for that not to be an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

melamine foam is in the 3-4 range.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

My uncertainty had more to do with the surfaces it might get rubbed on, since different materials are ranked on different hardness scales that don't relate to each other.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Toast Museum posted:

My uncertainty had more to do with the surfaces it might get rubbed on, since different materials are ranked on different hardness scales that don't relate to each other.

Yeah it might be good to test it on a small surface first if you're worried, but I've used it on fiberglass, porcelain tile, a ceramic bathtub, and the enameled surface of a stove. I've also used it very sparingly on my car where other people have been assholes and transferred paint from their doors. Never did any damage to the original surface of any of those things, and took the grime off like, well, ~magic~.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sirotan posted:

Yeah it might be good to test it on a small surface first if you're worried, but I've used it on fiberglass, porcelain tile, a ceramic bathtub, and the enameled surface of a stove. I've also used it very sparingly on my car where other people have been assholes and transferred paint from their doors. Never did any damage to the original surface of any of those things, and took the grime off like, well, ~magic~.

Also used it on ground in dust on an un-primed window frame, and it was the only thing that worked. I got my entire deposit back, and my landlord begged me for cleaning tips, because he'd never had any luck getting crap off the frames he forgot to paint in other units.

Magic Erasers are absolutely truth in advertising.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toast Museum posted:

For example faces. And children's faces. Don't wash faces with magic erasers.

http://counton2.com/2016/05/20/nc-dad-says-his-sons-face-was-rubbed-raw-at-daycare/
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/jacksonville-fl/THNM5SGEJM4JOE7K5
https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2njlmz/tifu_by_washing_my_face_with_a_mr_clean_magic/

It just keeps happening. :psyduck:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

magic erasers are so incredible... unless you try to get marks off of a painted wall. it'll either wear off the paint or it'll clean the area so thoroughly that you've gotta scrub the entire wall or repaint.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

While we're posting about bathroom poo poo, the lovely cheap bathmats that were previously in my bathroom apparently melted to the floor at some point and now there's gunk stuck to the tile. I tried scraping it off but no go. How the gently caress do I remove this crap.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Reene posted:

While we're posting about bathroom poo poo, the lovely cheap bathmats that were previously in my bathroom apparently melted to the floor at some point and now there's gunk stuck to the tile. I tried scraping it off but no go. How the gently caress do I remove this crap.

I've had that happen! It sucks. What kind of floor do you have? You have more options if it's not linoleum. You're going to want a spray bottle filled with hot water, a plastic scraper, and some goo gone. If you do have linoleum floors you'll have to work fast so the goo gone doesn't eat the floor's finish, but you'll be ok. Spray the latex bits with hot water to soften them up a bit - you could also try getting a towel wet and laying it over where the rug was to do a longer soak.

Once the latex is softened, put a few drops of goo gone on the edge of a piece and go at it with the scraper. This will suck and take forever, but as long as you don't scrape too hard your floor will be fine.

Edit: If you don't have linoleum you can also try heating up the latex with a blow dryer.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 9, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Speaking of lovely bathrooms, my parents' condo basement bathroom has a slanted floor. Not on purpose. Somehow, the concrete didn't find its level and the pipe for the toilet sticks up ridiculously high. To compensate, the builders filled the gap with a good solid inch of caulk. It's the worst toilet, can't even flush its own water sometimes, but my parents can't replace the loving thing because they'd have to chisel it out, take out everything in the bathroom, and have someone come in and level the concrete. They're Crazy Contractor People (the inside of their condo is unrecognizable from what it was 17 years ago; people in the association find excuses to invite themselves over to get reno ideas), but even that is a bridge too far.

Still better than the last house I lived in, which was built by a rapist with Hep C who liked to poo poo in every toilet and not flush.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Speaking of lovely bathrooms, my parents' condo basement bathroom has a slanted floor. Not on purpose. Somehow, the concrete didn't find its level and the pipe for the toilet sticks up ridiculously high. To compensate, the builders filled the gap with a good solid inch of caulk. It's the worst toilet, can't even flush its own water sometimes, but my parents can't replace the loving thing because they'd have to chisel it out, take out everything in the bathroom, and have someone come in and level the concrete. They're Crazy Contractor People (the inside of their condo is unrecognizable from what it was 17 years ago; people in the association find excuses to invite themselves over to get reno ideas), but even that is a bridge too far.

Still better than the last house I lived in, which was built by a rapist with Hep C who liked to poo poo in every toilet and not flush.

Chiseling out that floor would be totally worth it to install a tub inset 2 inches into the floor though. Then they could put rocks around it. Contemporary as gently caress.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Reene posted:

SuperClean. Just spray that poo poo on thick, leave the room with the fan on, come back some hours later and go at it with a plastic scraper/spatula and or a non-steel scrub pad.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

My parents rented a house while theirs was getting rebuilt after hurricane Sandy. This house had one corner sink a small amount. Somehow it didn't cause much in the way of cracking; maybe it was actually built off level. But there was just a subtle wrongness to the entire place. When I got up in the middle of the night to take a leak, I ended up hurtling towards the corner of the room when I tried to walk. Not fun, 0/10, would not recommend.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cthulhu house

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

They have a bare concrete floor in the bathroom?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FogHelmut posted:

They have a bare concrete floor in the bathroom?

Nah, but there's only a layer of linoleum over it. The rest of the basement is carpet, laminate, or painted bare concrete for the pump room and wood shop.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Complete bathroom overhaul - Only water, gently rub

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Some old tubs won't get clean without Ajax and a rough sponge on a plastic D handle. Really lean onto that D handle. Should not be a problem since we are all 300lbs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Nah, but there's only a layer of linoleum over it. The rest of the basement is carpet, laminate, or painted bare concrete for the pump room and wood shop.

Just lay some tile and level out the floor with extra mortar?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have the orginal 1960 cast iron tub in good shape but obviously the bottom of the tub is a little dingy, it is the original finish, is Ajax safe for this? Or something else?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
New interior design thread is here

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Gardenator posted:

Some old tubs won't get clean without Ajax and a rough sponge on a plastic D handle. Really lean onto that D handle. Should not be a problem since we are all 300lbs.

What if I'm skinny-fat? :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

everdave posted:

I have the orginal 1960 cast iron tub in good shape but obviously the bottom of the tub is a little dingy, it is the original finish, is Ajax safe for this? Or something else?

You should be fine, but if you're worried, try a milder abrasive like baking soda or coarse salt and a lot of elbow grease first.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

So, catching up with the thread, how's our b....Oh my stars. I see.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

FogHelmut posted:

Just lay some tile and level out the floor with extra mortar?

That'd be my solution. I think my dad wants to re-pour the floor for some reason, but I don't think it's something that couldn't be fixed with some judicious mortar application during tiling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

New interior design thread is here

Bless you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You should be fine, but if you're worried, try a milder abrasive like baking soda or coarse salt and a lot of elbow grease first.

Or borax. Stuff works wonders.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
This turned into the opposite of a Goonlair thread, a bunch of goons posting perfectly reasonable and well kept bathrooms in response to the big stinky dump of a disaster plopped down by the OP lmao

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Pirateparty posted:

This turned into the opposite of a Goonlair thread, a bunch of goons posting perfectly reasonable and well kept bathrooms in response to the big stinky dump of a disaster plopped down by the OP lmao

Honestly the next phase of this thread is to fall through to posts of kitchens.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Check it out, coffin bathtub.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nice view

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

everdave posted:

Do you mean a 60's cast iron tub covered in porcelain? Cause that's what i have. Except it's forming erosion channels from the decades of water run off, presumably from some kind of cleaner residue as well.

If you ever damage the thing, marine epoxy works great to replace any cracked porcelain. At least I am assuming it's working great, I'll find out when I finally remodel my bathroom.

Vargatron posted:

What if I'm skinny-fat? :colbert:

Get another skinny to sit on top of the cleaning person.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Lime Tonics posted:

and yet isn't sitting in a gravel pit and looks reasonably cleanable

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If my bathroom looked out onto the street I'd probably have frosted glass, at least the bottom half.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm not sure what it is but every single element in that photo looks photoshopped in

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm not sure what it is but every single element in that photo looks photoshopped in

Excessive HDR, it's a plague within the real estate photography industry.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A bathroom remodel is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for I-beams to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the :females: than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, builder-grade sack of tears for the rest of your life. Your studs can move past it, and heal.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FilthyImp posted:

A bathroom remodel is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for I-beams to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the :females: than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, builder-grade sack of tears for the rest of your life. Your studs can move past it, and heal.

:eyepop:

• Locked thread