Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

starkebn posted:

How do you make them accountable though? All I can see is threat of disendorsing them, and that's poo poo for the party.

I want the Committee of Management (state exec sort of) to bar them from attending party room meetings and strip them of their media rights and portfolio responsibilities for the duration.

Ultimately yes, it's underpinned by the threat of disendorsement. It's poo poo for the party but not as poo poo as having these muppets representing us in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of hope joyce doesn't press charges so we can establish a precedent for pieing people we don't agree with, social issues solved by pie fight, what kind of idiot wouldn't want to live in that society

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol NSW are so poo poo at everything.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo, is it just a universal rule everywhere that the people who want to be in politics are the worst possible people to be in politics?

What the actual gently caress. "We're a grassroots party, lol you selected me now I'm goping to do loving whatever gently caress you."

Jesus christ.

We don't seem to have a great deal of trouble with our Greens MPs here in WA, just sayin'

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

We don't seem to have a great deal of trouble with our Greens MPs here in WA, just sayin'

WA best A

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

WA best A

:banjo::hf::banjo:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the big problem I haven't sorted out for myself is whether people vote for the party or for the candidate

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

hooman posted:

WA best A
Except for the grumpy old men who pie CEO's that support same sex marriage. Truly, a representation of the average WA'er.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

Except for the grumpy old men who pie CEO's that support same sex marriage. Truly, a representation of the average WA'er.

Least we don't have weird Christian Fundie Parties in our upper house

Unless you include the Nats...

Which I guess you should.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Least we don't have weird Christian Fundie Parties in our upper house

Unless you include the Nats...

Which I guess you should.
How many state and fed PHON members did you guys vote in again?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Yes. This is a universal truth.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

How many state and fed PHON members did you guys vote in again?

Well 3

But based on PHON's track record in WA, they'll be independents in about 3 months.

Edit: Also our LC is really loving broken with the way it favours the bush. If you look at the LA vs LC breakdown, it's pretty obvious that the nats and most of the PHON councillors are only in the game because of this.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 10, 2017

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hooman posted:

Jesus christ.

It's the inevitable result of the Greens becoming large enough that "Greens MP" is a legitimately plausible career track. Justin Field is the most oleaginous careerist hack you can possibly imagine, the ambition oozes off him. NSW has particular issues with it because of the size and relative ease of election to our Legislative Council, and also the fact that Byron Bay exists and is full of the worst people imaginable

Don Dongington posted:

There's a few reasons for this (although I will say there have been a few issues with WA MPs ignoring policy decisions). NSW local group autonomy is an issue where a lot of the State Council reps are "representing" local groups that are controlled by a small clique of office bearers all factionally aligned to a particular Parliamentary office, which totally fucks SDC decision-making. WA's branches have more state office oversight. It's also a lot harder to get MPs elected, you get less state resources to do it (NSW has the most lucrative state election funding system in the country). There's also the problem where NSW has no particular locus of power, which is great for decentralised decision-making but terrible in terms of having a party body with more power than the party room - WA has the state exec, NSW has three committees which between them are almost a state exec. Also there's the ticket election system - since we elect two or sometimes three MLCs at a go, there's a possibility for substantial political difference between them, where in WA each of your MPs was the head of a different ticket, which means they're more likely to trend roughly to the centre of the state's political alignment.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Why is he wearing no shoes?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
in qld we solve the problem of rogue mps by having no mps :smug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why is he wearing no shoes?

Hippies don't wear shoes

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

in qld we solve the problem of rogue mps by having no mps :smug:
That might change next state election.

Then again, change from within Labor might work too.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Quantum Mechanic posted:

At least it's not other states where the deadlock over MP accountability was handily solved by just not having any, lol

*sobs in tasmanian*

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
NSW is the most corrupt state with QLD as worst state?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Melbourne seriously upped the public transport game with possums now a feature on trams at night.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Jesus christ.

Yes.

I did youth parliament in my uh... youth. The adults and the children are one and the same.

You spend any time with LNP and Labor MPs up close and informally you realize quickly it's basically private school boys arguing over club rules. You're either into that or you're not.
Serving the public? loving lol, that's not what any of it is about.

Should be clear, I never went near that place again after doing youth parliament. gently caress that. I don't have a lot of self respect but I have more than that.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 10, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

Melbourne seriously upped the public transport game with possums now a feature on trams at night.

Still more intelligent than the average myki inspector.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

why not just @ beet next time

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The solution is probably to adopt the Queensland method, since Queensland has the best Greens state MPs and no internal drama out of them yet.

they don't have any

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Aesculus posted:

The solution is probably to adopt the Queensland method, since Queensland has the best Greens state MPs and no internal drama out of them yet.

they don't have any

and by gum we will continue to be the best (worst) branch.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

hooman posted:

"The major problem, or at least one of the major problems, for there are several... one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Paingod556 posted:

"The major problem, or at least one of the major problems, for there are several... one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

Terms in parliament as an MP/senator should be allocated similar to jury duty imo

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It pretty hosed up if you think about it that anyone can just not qualify for welfare.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Very impressed that greens thought political mechanics wouldn't get in there and let er rip.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Hippies don't wear shoes

Why is he wearing a suit?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why is he wearing a suit?

Leader of a cult commune.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

tithin posted:

why not just @ beet next time

if you're talking about twitter, I don't use it

I got it from facebook

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

starkebn posted:

if you're talking about twitter, I don't use it

I got it from facebook

It's a twitter meme, but yeah, it seemed you're very specifically talking about ex-forum poster Matthew Beet

starkebn
May 18, 2004

tithin posted:

It's a twitter meme, but yeah, it seemed you're very specifically talking about ex-forum poster Matthew Beet

:confuoot:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
A question for those more versed in parliamentary speak: if a bill's status is "not proceeding" and it's been "discharged from notice paper" does that mean it's dead?

Because if so, yay. I get to keep my measly ppl I guess

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

JBP posted:

Very impressed that greens thought political mechanics wouldn't get in there and let er rip.

"But that wouldn't happen to us, we're the Greens, we're different!"

actual quote I've heard from a Green, it's like they think the ALP have always been poo poo and didn't start out as a progressive movement with the best of intentions

nyerf posted:

A question for those more versed in parliamentary speak: if a bill's status is "not proceeding" and it's been "discharged from notice paper" does that mean it's dead?

I believe so yes

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
fun fact literally the only anti-stacking mechanisms that exist in the NSW Greens are a) a three-month wait until you can vote on a preselection and b) the ability of the state council to declare a preselection void, and last preselection the right were so desperate to push through their cheating shitlord of a candidate who won by 13 stolen votes that they argued against b) entirely.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/862263239387762688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spiteful little dog fucker

• Locked thread