Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I should have taken a picture of the Mexican Airbnb I stayed in. Y'all need to stop being so bougie. The bathroom was a toilet, a sink and just a shower head in between in a single room. Like there wasn't a shower curtain or glass. You could easily splash the toilet or sink, which is great when you suffer and have to poop after you shower and it's all wet. Regardless your whole bathroom floor gets wet which is great when you put on socks and need to go to the bathroom and forget the floor is all wet from the shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Excessive HDR, it's a plague within the real estate photography industry.

I mean I don't mind HDR in general but goddamn

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I should have taken a picture of the Mexican Airbnb I stayed in. Y'all need to stop being so bougie. The bathroom was a toilet, a sink and just a shower head in between in a single room. Like there wasn't a shower curtain or glass. You could easily splash the toilet or sink, which is great when you suffer and have to poop after you shower and it's all wet. Regardless your whole bathroom floor gets wet which is great when you put on socks and need to go to the bathroom and forget the floor is all wet from the shower.

the Airbnb we stayed at in Amsterdam was similar, the sink was inside the shower and there was just a curtain between the shower and the toilet. It wasn't too bad; the curtain did its job and TBH having the sink/mirror in the shower was super convenient for shaving/brushing tetth

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

A bathroom remodel is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for I-beams to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the :females: than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, builder-grade sack of tears for the rest of your life. Your studs can move past it, and heal.

Gat dam

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Check it out, coffin bathtub.

Maybe it's just because it's the thread's theme but that looks like it's actually in a kitchen.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
What a girl wants
What a girl needs
Is a deathtrap tub
And rock mold on her feet

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Lime Tonics posted:

A bathtub in the dead middle of the room is about the stupidest design ever. I hated that aspect of OP's original bathroom too. It's just in the loving way of the traffic flow and it wastes an assload of floor space.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why didn't he just leave the broken mortar around the tub?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That would have made the bathroom look terrible!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lime Tonics posted:

I feel like I need to start clicking on everything to find the interactable objects.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Piell posted:

I feel like I need to start clicking on everything to find the interactable objects.

Yeah or tabbing to make them highlighted or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This reboot of Finders Keepers loving sucks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I need...red pages. Bring me red pages!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When I was a kid, I always hoped a contestant would go apeshit and just disembowel Larry Toffler with their bare hands while screaming "Maybe he swallowed the clue!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

A bathroom remodel is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for I-beams to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the :females: than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, builder-grade sack of tears for the rest of your life. Your studs can move past it, and heal.

This is far too good to remain buried on the last page.

:bravo:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Gardenator posted:

Do you mean a 60's cast iron tub covered in porcelain? Cause that's what i have. Except it's forming erosion channels from the decades of water run off, presumably from some kind of cleaner residue as well.

If you ever damage the thing, marine epoxy works great to replace any cracked porcelain. At least I am assuming it's working great, I'll find out when I finally remodel my bathroom.

Yes cast iron with the original porcelain finish on top...it doesn't have any chips/cracks/channels so that is why I am being careful. Haven't really cleaned it much in the 9 years I've been in the house other than wiping it down and the occasional good old scrubbing (the tub is very clean just gets a little non-bright white in the bottom)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

everdave posted:

Yes cast iron with the original porcelain finish on top...it doesn't have any chips/cracks/channels so that is why I am being careful. Haven't really cleaned it much in the 9 years I've been in the house other than wiping it down and the occasional good old scrubbing (the tub is very clean just gets a little non-bright white in the bottom)

Porcelain is a dream to clean compared to the cheap plastic tubs you get in so many modern apartments these days. Anything you can clean your teeth with you can clean porcelain with, so if you have a stubborn stain try some plain white toothpaste. For general grunginess you can get a lot done with some white vinegar and baking soda. The volcano method!

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Porcelain is a dream to clean compared to the cheap plastic tubs you get in so many modern apartments these days. Anything you can clean your teeth with you can clean porcelain with, so if you have a stubborn stain try some plain white toothpaste. For general grunginess you can get a lot done with some white vinegar and baking soda. The volcano method!

I can second the volcano method. It's great for getting stains out of tough surfaces. White vinegar by itself is also good if you have a rainbow sheen in the bottom of any pots or pans.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Baking soda is a legit amazing way to clean things. I use it all the time on pots that have brown stains in the bottom. Just apply baking soda liberally to a damp surface, and it doesn't take a lot of scrubbing for that stuff to lift right off.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

canyoneer posted:

Baking soda is a legit amazing way to clean things. I use it all the time on pots that have brown stains in the bottom. Just apply baking soda liberally to a damp surface, and it doesn't take a lot of scrubbing for that stuff to lift right off.

Also works if your bumbling roommate burned rice onto the bottom of your pots. Heat water, add vinegar, add baking soda, wait for the reaction to die down, scrub. Repeat as necessary. They're still grungy looking, but at least they're usable again.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks will be cleaning with baking soda and vinegar!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lime Tonics posted:

i can't decide if the coffin is levitating or not

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Close thread. Goldmine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Well, if it is, you can do to your I beams whatever you want.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Levitation would help the OP with his structural fuckup. Would it be possible to reduce the load using electro magnets to float the tub's weight? Or would that still be too heavy with the magnet apparatus underneath?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Levitation would help the OP with his structural fuckup. Would it be possible to reduce the load using electro magnets to float the tub's weight? Or would that still be too heavy with the magnet apparatus underneath?

Obviously he needs to have the magnet apparatus on the ceiling instead.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

.... Vinny?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FilthyImp posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Complete bathroom overhaul - ITT: Real Studs Post Studs, Post Stud Damage

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

everdave posted:

Thanks will be cleaning with baking soda and vinegar!

Many commercial cleaning solutions (if not most) contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment. (Some are even linked to cancer.) "Anti-bacterial" solutions, otoh, usually also kill off not just harmful but also beneficial bacteria that the human body needs to keep its immune system up to spec and thus contribute to the rise of allergies in Western countries. Most, if not all of your routine household cleaning can be done cheaply, safely, and eco-consciously by just using dish soap, baking soda, vinegar, and pine soap, the same solutions your grandmothers used and they worked just as well then as now :science:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

barbecue at the folks posted:

Many commercial cleaning solutions (if not most) contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment. (Some are even linked to cancer.) "Anti-bacterial" solutions, otoh, usually also kill off not just harmful but also beneficial bacteria that the human body needs to keep its immune system up to spec and thus contribute to the rise of allergies in Western countries. Most, if not all of your routine household cleaning can be done cheaply, safely, and eco-consciously by just using dish soap, baking soda, vinegar, and pine soap, the same solutions your grandmothers used and they worked just as well then as now :science:

Yeah, and I mentioned Goo Gone earlier but really you can get much the same results with a little vegetable oil and patience. Most of what commercial cleaners do is save you a little scrubbing action at most.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY & Hobbies > Complete bathroom overhaul - a sad, builder-grade sack of tears

ftfy

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

did the thing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

Many commercial cleaning solutions (if not most) contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment.

What is "missing" from most home cleaners now is TSP. That's why they all kinda suck compares to a couple decades ago.

And you can buy it. Just don't use it willy nilly because it really is bad for the environment, but when you need to clean the poo poo out of something this is usually the thing you want. You'll find it in paint stores/the paint aisles of a big box store because it's to go-to for cleaning surfaces before repainting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
smh if you're not using Dr. Bronner's for everything.

A feast for the senses, with the timecube rants on the label to read and the minty fresh smell

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Motronic posted:

What is "missing" from most home cleaners now is TSP. That's why they all kinda suck compares to a couple decades ago.

And you can buy it. Just don't use it willy nilly because it really is bad for the environment, but when you need to clean the poo poo out of something this is usually the thing you want. You'll find it in paint stores/the paint aisles of a big box store because it's to go-to for cleaning surfaces before repainting.

If it makes you feel any better, occasional household use is insignificant compared to agricultural runoff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

If it makes you feel any better, occasional household use is insignificant compared to agricultural runoff.

I get that, I just try not to add any more than I need to.

Me and my neighbors also have wells and septic, so I don't like this poo poo going down the drain locally.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

... no?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

smh if you're not using Dr. Bronner's for everything.

A feast for the senses, with the timecube rants on the label to read and the minty fresh smell

I use gold bond to clean my toilet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Burt Sexual posted:

I use gold bond to clean my toilet.

It's like a golden breath mint for your balls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A bathtub in the dead middle of the room is about the stupidest design ever. I hated that aspect of OP's original bathroom too. It's just in the loving way of the traffic flow and it wastes an assload of floor space.

What kinda traffic flow we talkin here, Sparky? He's got assloads of space to waste cause his bathroom is bigger than average living quarters for 90% of the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You really learn a lot about eco-friendly cleaners once you've got a septic system to worry about

• Locked thread