Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you ever play something that requires you knowing where a sound came from, 7.1 no question. If you're listening to music, stereo is fine. But I was stuck with stereo for a couple of rounds of PUBG and it was goddamned awful. Had no idea where I was being shot from, or where those footsteps were coming from, or the sound of a car approaching, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, I was hiding in a bush and having directional earphones Let me know exactly where the dudes were who were looking for me were , allowing me to wait until they all passed and merc them in the back. If I didnt have them I would definitely had left earlier and died.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I haven't had any issues locating people in PUBG with stereo headphones (I'm always the first guy pointing out compass positions when I hear shots or cars). Positional audio in headphones is a scam since all the little speakers are just jammed right up against your ears anyway. Just get a good pair of Sennheisers and a clip-on mic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As someone with 7.1 headphones, I'm quite confident you're insane.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Take it or leave it. I also have a 7.1 Logitech set that I tried for a while and then shoved into a closet after realizing I was much happier with my HD 558s. If you're going to get a surround sound headset at least make sure it doesn't require any lovely GameR SoftWareZ and actually has a hardware surround implementation.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 10, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

As someone with 7.1 headphones, I'm quite confident you're insane.

That's "virtual" surround though

Buca di Bepis posted:

Take it or leave it. I also have a 7.1 Logitech set that I tried for a while and then shoved into a closet after realizing I was much happier with my HD 558s. If you're going to get a surround sound headset at least make sure it doesn't require any lovely GameR SoftWareZ and actually has a hardware surround implementation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no headset can have "real hardware surround implementation" or whatever

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cowboy elvis posted:

I'm allergic to any sort of crafting system in games.

Same. The second a game wants me to be some hipster rear end cobbler/habadasher/urban forager I'm loving out

Looking at you, Fallout

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

ME:A was like ME1. Fun and dumb. And hopefully ME:A2 will show the same sort of improvement the original trilogy did.

Also, thanks to this thread I've been getting into PUBG. It's loving amazing. When it's fully developed and polished up it's gonna make so much money.

re: gaming headphones. Do I want to buy stereo or 7.1 headphones? I currently have a pair of lovely little Logitech speakers, and am looking to change it up.

Either is an improvement over speakers, get what is most comfortable for you. Note that "7.1" surround headphones are still just 2 speakers, it just uses spatialization software to make it sound like the sound is coming from in front/behind of you.

Unless of course you buy a loving 2000 dollar set of cans with a special sound board for the headphones to plug into.

/s

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

Counterpoint, they're logitech headphones.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had a good time playing through Andromeda. I think there's supposed to be another major patch out today.

There better be some DLC for that fucker though, the whole open world thing is rife for it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Regular headphones have done that sort of thing for a very long time. Like Soundblaster64 time.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just use these from my old walkman but the foam thing came off of one ear sometime in 1995

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I just use these from my old walkman but the foam thing came off of one ear sometime in 1995

This post gave me headphone PTSD

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

This post gave me headphone PTSD

The pleasant sensation of a few more follicles of hair being devoured by the slide adjustment

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dude McAwesome posted:

Also, thanks to this thread I've been getting into PUBG. It's loving amazing. When it's fully developed and polished up it's gonna make so much money.

What's cool is they're not even out of early access on PC yet, but they still made 60 million already. Once it gets polished and ported to the consoles, they're gonna be rolling in dough(unless ea or ubi beats them to market after ripping off their idea).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bolow posted:

The pleasant sensation of a few more follicles of hair being devoured by the slide adjustment

:stonk:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Counterpoint, they're logitech headphones.

When you're talking about surround sound gaming headsets there's not a whole lot of competition besides Logitech, Razer, Corsair and a million companies rebranding cheap bullshit.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's "virtual" surround though

Correct me if I'm wrong but no headset can have "real hardware surround implementation" or whatever

Not a good one, at least. Several do actually use a bunch of tiny drivers. I think Roccat has one that does 5.1 with that?

If all you're looking for is a software surround sound effect, MS added a couple in with the latest Windows 10 Creators update. It's very recent so I'm not sure people have had a lot of time to figure out how good it is, but it's an interesting move.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm pretty happy with these Audio-Technica headphones. Stuff sounds like the direction it's coming from in PUBG and other games :toot:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm pretty happy with these Audio-Technica headphones. Stuff sounds like the direction it's coming from in PUBG and other games :toot:

what do you use for a microphone

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Capn Beeb posted:

same

Reverand maynard posted:

I've always used a desk mic. There's no change in voice quality.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

This modmic gizmo. It seems there's a newer model however, here

Also the mic jack on PCs isn't powered very much so you may have to do some mic boosting in windows, or you can apparently get this USB soundcard thing.

Edit:

Apparently those Sabrent USB sound cards suck now, rip

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 10, 2017

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
Vanquish(fast paced 3rd person shooter from PlatinumGames) is coming to PC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/vanquish-will-launch-on-steam-later-this-month/

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
ME:A chat: The loyalty missions I've done so far (Cora, Vetra) are like a portal into what could've been-land had Bioware not gone all out on the OPEN WORLD ZILLIONS OF MEANINGLESS QUESTS-angle :( .

The final setpiece in Cora's missions was especially rad, I really liked how all the sounds became muted, because well you know, vacuum of space . Still not feeling the Kett, though. They seem really generic and boring compared to the Reapers in ME1/2.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They're literally the collectors.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They're literally the collectors.

Yup, minus everything that made the Collectors great. The plot twist even gave them a sympathetic backstory, I kinda felt bad for those lil dudes when I found out who they used to be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Missionary Positron posted:

ME:A chat: The loyalty missions I've done so far (Cora, Vetra) are like a portal into what could've been-land had Bioware not gone all out on the OPEN WORLD ZILLIONS OF MEANINGLESS QUESTS-angle :( .

The final setpiece in Cora's missions was especially rad, I really liked how all the sounds became muted, because well you know, vacuum of space . Still not feeling the Kett, though. They seem really generic and boring compared to the Reapers in ME1/2.

I haven't finished mea yet but it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear that they completely missed what made me2 so great

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

cowboy elvis posted:

What does the recycling system do? I'm allergic to any sort of crafting system in games.

It's where you get stuff to make ammo, med kits, and poo poo.

I HATE crafting in games, but it's fine in this game. Not like the rpg crafting systems that make you want to suck start a 12 gauge.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Stellaris patch today broke the game. The AI no longer wants to war and turns everyone into pacifists.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

Stellaris patch today broke the game. The AI no longer wants to war and turns everyone into pacifists.

It had to happen eventually

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
make love (with weird space aliens) not war

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

make love (with weird space aliens) not war

gently caress that enslave all Two Finger 2020

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's a trick, like the beginning of Mars Attacks!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Have they fixed all the animations of ME:A yet, or are they still patching more of that poo poo out?

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 11, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, enslave all Two Fingers. Force him to make BBQ for all GiP

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

Caste system is also hosed up now. Pops who are not even grown yet but placed onto food/minerals and off again will get a -10% happiness for 'former slave'.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah, enslave all Two Fingers. Force him to make BBQ for all GiP

Hell man you won't have to force me at our annual goon meet I'll do it gladly

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Buca di Bepis posted:

When you're talking about surround sound gaming headsets there's not a whole lot of competition besides Logitech, Razer, Corsair and a million companies rebranding cheap bullshit.

pft, buncha plebs in here. peep my gaming headset setup kid

:human being:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pft, buncha plebs in here. peep my gaming headset setup kid

:human being:

You just know some ARMA sperg actually does this

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'll play with my old russian steel helmet and a flight suit maybe i will do better because of immersion

edit: i can also tie some cast iron cookware to my butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I sit on my steel pot when playing internet shootymans so that I don't get my balls blown off.

Don't knock it. It's been working pretty well so far.