Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Bogan King posted:

14 for 25 against removing abortion from NSW crimes act.

gently caress. even Queensland was going to have a tighter vote than that (if it hadn't been withdrawn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Kafka Syrup posted:

gently caress. even Queensland was going to have a tighter vote than that (if it hadn't been withdrawn).

It would have been aborted some other way if the vote was going to be close.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Land of the fair go

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's extremely weird to go on Crikey and New Matilda's comments section and find a bunch of usually left wing commenters cheering on the Government to drug test welfare recipients.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
4 of 8 women voted down the abortion bill. They just happened to be the 4 lib nats voting with their conscience exactly the same way as the entire rest of their party did. Party of free choice and personal responsibility.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anidav posted:

It's extremely weird to go on Crikey and New Matilda's comments section and find a bunch of usually left wing commenters cheering on the Government to drug test welfare recipients.

How so? Australians are really poo poo people the only difference is between shouting it loud and proud or hiding it behind a veneer that fades faster than you can say 'gently caress you got mine'

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Please link

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bogan King posted:

4 of 8 women voted down the abortion bill. They just happened to be the 4 lib nats voting with their conscience exactly the same way as the entire rest of their party did. Party of free choice and personal responsibility.

There are studies that show women are often more opposed to abortion legalisation than men (tied heavily to particular demos and poo poo of course). Why would you think a female member of the libs or nats would be pro choice?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Some leftists have extrapolated from their opposition to addictive legal activities - cigarettes, alcohol, gambling - and the dangers it brings in as well as its social/health issues it too should apply to all drugs. It carries with it an element of judgment of the participants as being "weak" and that they are participating in an activity that is actually damaging them which is causing issue to the greater society. It's this whole lot of stuff about body purity and bullshit like that.

It's not a stretch from the entire unease people have about watching welfare recipients dump their money in the pokies. The change is people move to ban pokies because pokies are legal, if illegal they'd treat it the same way they do drugs - blame the user.

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 11, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Jobseekers shouldn't be allowed to spend their money on anything that doesn't directly help them to get a job.

All clothes bought must be work-appropriate. No cigarettes. All food is now in the form of a nutritionally complete paste. Jobseekers will be weighed upon application. Overweight jobseekers will be sent to a fat camp because studies show being overweight negatively impacts your chance of getting employment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

It's this whole lot of stuff about body purity and bullshit like that.

See inner city hipster anti-vaxxers as well.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Arbeit Macht Frei

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Before Times posted:

Jobseekers shouldn't be allowed to spend their money on anything that doesn't directly help them to get a job.

All clothes bought must be work-appropriate. No cigarettes. All food is now in the form of a nutritionally complete paste. Jobseekers will be weighed upon application. Overweight jobseekers will be sent to a fat camp because studies show being overweight negatively impacts your chance of getting employment.

Try talking about cigarettes with other pro-drug people and you'll find a fair number have a huge blindspot for it. Not a smoker but sometimes their logic is all drugs should be legal, except alcohol and tobacco which should be illegal, in this weird invert. Cigarettes to them are not a drug, they're just pure evil.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
DEBT AND DEFICIT DISASTER

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Only tobacco that should be legal is that used in a mix.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

So Morrison just clarified the true cost of the company tax cut.

$65.4B

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Brown Paper Bag posted:

$65.4B

:allears:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Brown Paper Bag posted:

$65.4B

gottim yessssss

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Brown Paper Bag posted:

$65.4B

please let this be on record somewhere

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

please let this be on record somewhere

question time

actually useful for something today

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

question time

:getin:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

question time

If a tree falls in the woods...

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

$65.4B

Look at these leaners.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only tobacco that should be legal is that used in a mix.

You actually mix your weed?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

You actually mix your weed?

gently caress no. Tobacco's as expensive as weed here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I have a friend who swears by mixing with tea leaves :P

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Could the previous three posters all present their piss for inspection at the nearest office.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Could the previous three posters all present their piss for inspection at the nearest office.

I only do $3k worth of rack a week these days, so I'll pass.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Lid posted:

Try talking about cigarettes with other pro-drug people and you'll find a fair number have a huge blindspot for it. Not a smoker but sometimes their logic is all drugs should be legal, except alcohol and tobacco which should be illegal, in this weird invert. Cigarettes to them are not a drug, they're just pure evil.

Cigarettes do have the whole second hand smoke thing going though. You're not getting cancer standing around a dude pinging on the train. I guess what I'm saying is that there should be weed and tobacco edibles at Coles.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Random tangent: if weed were made legal would there be support for plain packaging and making dispensaries as utilitarian as possible?

I have a strong sense those in support would find themselves on the side of but the colourssssss without health considerations and the underlying motive of leaving out appealing to children.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Ironic that a lot of those welfare recipients (probably) voted for a poo poo government and will now be governed by their poo poo

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It's quite amazing just how many people think that they're the only ones deserving and everyone else is scamming the system. Probably the most blatant example is that woman in the USA who voted Trump and had her husband deported by ICE. She tried complaining about how he was 'one of the good ones' without any hint of a clue that passing the paper bag test is what makes you a good one not anything else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

aejix posted:

Ironic that a lot of those welfare recipients (probably) voted for a poo poo government and will now be governed by their poo poo

They don't. Poor areas vote Labor. Nice gently caress you to the idiot Poors post though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bogan King posted:

It's quite amazing just how many people think that they're the only ones deserving and everyone else is scamming the system. Probably the most blatant example is that woman in the USA who voted Trump and had her husband deported by ICE. She tried complaining about how he was 'one of the good ones' without any hint of a clue that passing the paper bag test is what makes you a good one not anything else.

Heres one closer to home

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/06/george-christensen-questions-deportation-of-man-who-fled-us-amid-drug-allegations

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Lid posted:

Random tangent: if weed were made legal would there be support for plain packaging and making dispensaries as utilitarian as possible?

I have a strong sense those in support would find themselves on the side of but the colourssssss without health considerations and the underlying motive of leaving out appealing to children.

It would be treated the same way cigarettes and alcohol are now, but probably with even more restrictions. The only advocacy for legalisation that gets taken seriously is based on arguments like 'think how much money we could make by taxing it' and 'it would be safer if it was regulated'.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish they'd legalise it because rolling the dice on ending up with a bag of lovely ditch weed is the loving worst.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

It would be treated the same way cigarettes and alcohol are now, but probably with even more restrictions. The only advocacy for legalisation that gets taken seriously is based on arguments like 'think how much money we could make by taxing it' and 'it would be safer if it was regulated'.

I'm not suggesting that wouldn't be the government position, but for decades now weed culture is imbued with bright colours are ornate bongs and getting a grinder from the tobacconist with some lame decal. All of that stuff being ripped away, justifiably, will ruffle feathers and that weed is now part of the big pharna sterility. Just a train of thought from seeing American dispensaries that look like, and are to be, full of whimsy and Willy Wonka-esque and considering it happening here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can still buy fancy ashtrays and lighters despite plain packaging, so I doubt that aspect of it would go away. That said, I think the proportion of weed smokers who are interested in that kind of thing is a lot lower than you might expect. Most people keep their mouth shut and try not to be an obvious stoner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

I'm not suggesting that wouldn't be the government position, but for decades now weed culture is imbued with bright colours are ornate bongs and getting a grinder from the tobacconist with some lame decal. All of that stuff being ripped away, justifiably, will ruffle feathers and that weed is now part of the big pharna sterility. Just a train of thought from seeing American dispensaries that look like, and are to be, full of whimsy and Willy Wonka-esque and considering it happening here.

Weed culture these days is literally an inflating plastic bag full of clear gas and a machine that looks like it's straight out of an operating theatre.

e: I guess you still get classic 90s Kevin Smith movie types, but the vast majority of people spending money on it have jobs. I went to a mate's place who I have only met recently and in his pot plant (a fern, not a weed plant) he had a bamboo water pipe and was astonished when I picked it up and said "nice one cheech".

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

open24hours posted:

You can still buy fancy ashtrays and lighters despite plain packaging, so I doubt that aspect of it would go away. That said, I think the proportion of weed smokers who are interested in that kind of thing is a lot lower than you might expect. Most people keep their mouth shut and try not to be an obvious stoner.

Yeah. It wouldn't be that hard to open an Off Ya Tree or Happy High Herbs next to a dispensary. I'd rather the dispensaries be sterile. Hell, we could make it that you could only get tobacco at dispensaries too.

I've never really gotten the attitude of some that we should ban tobacco. Greg Proops of all people had the best defense of tobacco, as the last personal freedom of the working class - the last ounce of control over their life, destiny and body. It should be legal and available, but just out of the hands of exploitative marketeers (same goes for gambling tbh)

• Locked thread