Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

Tagging forums-poster Error 404 with "True Steake"
I wanted to be true steake :(

I picture it summoning the platonic form of steak. You don't even eat it, you just bask in its perfectly seared magnificence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wish someone could cast Moss Healing Word upon my Dengue/Chikungunya/Zika plagued self

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

I picture it summoning the platonic form of steak. You don't even eat it, you just bask in its perfectly seared magnificence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN4V_tgXuNY

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
This discussion of 'litrpg' is an amazing rabbithole of madness

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554972&pagenumber=539&perpage=40#post472097584

Check out the previes of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYJOII6?pldnSite=1

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's just Americans stealing from the worst trend on Japanese lit

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793167&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

these rpgs don't sound very lit to me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i actually like the idea of books that talk about games as games, rather than just being in-universe lore retold/made up. a FFXIV novel just got announced which is taking the former approach, it's about the people who play the game and their experience playing it rather than like, telling the story of their characters as if they and the game world was real. but the responses I've read to that announcement (in the west, and the book is japanese only so far) is basically people being upset that it isn't the in-universe lore perspective.

i dunno i think it's a novel idea even if it's obviously ripe for ulillillia comparisons

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uli's book was legit the only book that gave me the reading version of ASMR

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

actually it's americans reclaiming the plot to their legendary classic, the 80s d&d cartoon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Plutonis posted:

Uli's book was legit the only book that gave me the reading version of ASMR

every now and then ill just read random pages from it. its so soothing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I really need to get a copy of that. If nothing else, it can live next to my copy of Felsic Current I've never gotten more than 10 pages into.

... I also really need to do a Let's Read of Felsic Current to make me get through that loving thing. Possibly with a toxx attached for extra motivation.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

EverettLO posted:

Perhaps, but who in their right mind wouldn't have Fomend’s Beating Sphere prepped?

Because it's impressively flashy but really just conjures a regular mace, and even then the shipping takes 1d2 weeks*. Fomend was a bit of a dick.

* Yeah, you can use 25gp as a component for an expedited portal and it says next day arrival but those things are always full of poo poo unless you live right in central Waterdeep or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 12, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A trend that is now banned in most literary contests in Japan because it's become so pervasive due to trash tier, entry level anime.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ready Player One is a masterpiece and I can't wait for the movie adaptation. Don't quote me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ettin posted:

Ready Player One is a masterpiece and I can't wait for the movie adaptation. Don't quote me.

Have they finished principal photography on that yet?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

Have they finished principal photography on that yet?

Not yet to my knowledge. Only some set photos have popped up so far too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ettin posted:

:dogout:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

some of spielberg's best movies were based off of lovely books, he might make something watchable out of rp1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

some of spielberg's best movies were based off of lovely books, he might make something watchable out of rp1

The doctor shakes his head, Im sorry maam, hes not going to pull through. The stupidity is terminal.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Someone who's better at math than me help me figure out how to make a 4e randomised powers game work with quick and dirty math.

I'm thinking a set number of "bodies" with a different balance of Init, HP and [W], then all primary stats are +5 and all secondaries +3?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moriatti posted:

Where are you located and what do you want for this? Skype is doctormoriatti and I'm US based

Sorry for taking so long to respond, while we can hash out the details further on Skype like you suggested, would a price of $25 plus shipping be okay with you, or do you want to haggle a little?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I did a more extensive write-up on my blog about experiences with specific mechanical tricks to get people to avoid the whole "15 minute working day" problem in dungeons.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/thoughts-on-risk-and-reward-mechanics-in-dungeon-crawlers/

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Sorry for taking so long to respond, while we can hash out the details further on Skype like you suggested, would a price of $25 plus shipping be okay with you, or do you want to haggle a little?

Going by eBay last sold listings, I'd like to haggle a small amount, but you're pretty close to the mark there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moriatti posted:

Going by eBay last sold listings, I'd like to haggle a small amount, but you're pretty close to the mark there.

Yeah I based that figure off the price on the back of the book plus a couple more bucks, I figured that would be a good high mark for an out of print but common book without being an exploitative dick like many people on ebay are when it comes to auctioning RPG stuff(seriously unless it's mint and/or a first printing I really can't see any justification behind selling any individual TSR D&D core book for more than 20 bucks except perhaps the Rules Cyclopedia, and even that shouldn't be more than 40-50 bucks), anyways I'll probably contact you on Skype later today to finalize the details(right now I need sleep)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 12, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

It won't be Indiana Jones 5 either.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I based that figure off the price on the back of the book plus a couple more bucks, I figured that would be a good high mark for an out of print but common book without being an exploitative dick like many people on ebay are when it comes to auctioning RPG stuff(seriously unless it's mint and/or a first printing I really can't see any justification behind selling any individual TSR D&D core book for more than 20 bucks except perhaps the Rules Cyclopedia, and even that shouldn't be more than 40-50 bucks), anyways I'll probably contact you on Skype later today to finalize the details(right now I need sleep)

Totally fair, and I can see how you got that number.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to post these books to SA Mart this weekend but if anyone here would like first dibs on some of these titles, PM me a reasonable offer and we'll chat about it.

Books up for sale posted:

Star Wars Saga Edition Core Rulebook – Like New condition (Includes Map)
Star Wars Saga Edition Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide – Like New condition
Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised Core Rulebook – Like New condition
Star Wars Roleplaying Game Rebellion Era Sourcebook – Like New condition
Star Wars Roleplaying Game Power of the Jedi Sourcebook – Like New condition
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Player’s Handbook – Very Good condition
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Dungeon Master’s Guide – Very Good condition
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Monster Manual – Very Good condition
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (3.X) – Very Good condition (Includes Realms map)
Forgotten Realm’s (3.X) Dungeon Master’s Screen – Worn around the edges (Includes encounters booklet and original slip cover)
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Champions of Ruin – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Monsters of Faerun – Very Good condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) City of Splendors: Waterdeep – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Races of Faerun – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Underdark – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Player’s Guide to Faerun – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Lords of Darkness – Very Good condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Faiths and Pantheons – Like New condition
Forgotten Realms (3.X) Magic of Faerun – Very Good condition

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Longshot but probably USA, right?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am in the USA.

Is there an affordable way to ship books internationally? It seems like it's going to be ridiculously expensive regardless of weight and size.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, back in the 80's, there were two licensed games that everyone knows about. Star Wars d6 by West End Games, and Middle-Earth Role Playing (MERP) by ICE.

The stuff that Slavicek, Gorden, and the rest made for the Star Wars rpg frequently became canon for the Star Wars universe, with much of it even surviving the recent purge. Their species names, in particular, have survived. Even weird stuff - like, the Interdictor cruiser is being reintroduced in Rebels after being invented in the late 80's. It's left a permanent mark.

On the other hand, the MERP materials had little to no impact on Middle Earth canon. The closest I can find is people using their invented Nazgul names in stuff like the CCG. (Oh, and the fabulous maps have fans.) Its expansion of the setting is, however, largely derided and ignored.

Why do you think this was the case? I have my own ideas of why this disparity happened, but I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

dwarf74 posted:

Why do you think this was the case? I have my own ideas of why this disparity happened, but I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

Because Star Wars in the 80s was still a property that was being produced. The Tolkien universe in the 80s was something that had been dead for just as long as Tolkien had, being written 40 years earlier. And (thankfully) unlike the whole fiasco around the Dune universe, the canon itself did not continue to be added onto or revised after the author's death.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Has there ever been a situation where a property has survived its creator gracefully? It seems like whenever somebody adds to a dead canon it just ends up being terrible.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't know about "derided", but I think the distinctly ICE-y, vaguely Shadow World-y material for the stuff covering geography outside the main canon made it feel more like fanfiction than legitimate expansion.

Drone posted:

Because Star Wars in the 80s was still a property that was being produced. The Tolkien universe in the 80s was something that had been dead for just as long as Tolkien had, being written 40 years earlier. And (thankfully) unlike the whole fiasco around the Dune universe, the canon itself did not continue to be added onto or revised after the author's death.

That's not really true. The extensive curation and publication of Tolkien's notes built out a lot of the world.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lovecraft springs to mind.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So, back in the 80's, there were two licensed games that everyone knows about. Star Wars d6 by West End Games, and Middle-Earth Role Playing (MERP) by ICE.

The stuff that Slavicek, Gorden, and the rest made for the Star Wars rpg frequently became canon for the Star Wars universe, with much of it even surviving the recent purge. Their species names, in particular, have survived. Even weird stuff - like, the Interdictor cruiser is being reintroduced in Rebels after being invented in the late 80's. It's left a permanent mark.

On the other hand, the MERP materials had little to no impact on Middle Earth canon. The closest I can find is people using their invented Nazgul names in stuff like the CCG. (Oh, and the fabulous maps have fans.) Its expansion of the setting is, however, largely derided and ignored.

kind of the other way around from what Drone said. star wars was kind of dead by time the WEG SW game game out. however, WEG kept plugging along, and lasted long enough to catch the next wave of Star Wars licensed stuff, and the beginning of the "expanded universe," at the beginning of the 90s. WEG Star Wars was around when Bantam Spectra started publishing Star Wars novels again (particularly those written by Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson) and when Dark Horse Comics began publishing Star Wars comics. there's a lot of interplay here, it's not one causing the other: WEG embroidered on the Bantam and Dark Horse Star Wars ideas, and some of the Bantam books (especially the Tales from... collections) were written by authors who'd consulted the WEG guides.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a property has survived its creator gracefully? It seems like whenever somebody adds to a dead canon it just ends up being terrible.

The Holy Bible

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Maybe on a deep level it comes down to how "serious" each property feels. There's a more freewheeling attitude to Star Wars.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Barnes and Noble had an interesting series of articles on the publishing history of the Star Wars EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

The Holy Bible

Plutonis did not say this, but the ideas contained in it are close to his own.

• Locked thread