Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

White mage's new action. I'm sure you won't be able to tell what the spell actually does from this, but just know that it's beautiful. (laugh)

quote:

Astrologian's new action. There are a lot of cards!?

quote:

Scholar's new action. You tear the page to…

quote:

And, while this isn't a healer, I noticed some people saying that the dragoon's screenshot from the other day wasn't an action shot (it was supposed to be scenic shot originally…), so here's a bloody bonus shot for dragoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Silvergun1000 posted:

That's cool. So I've got a 60 from when Heavensward launched, about how long would it take me to get a lvl 1 to lvl 60 without doing any serious FATE and leve grinding?

Also what's POTD and is that good XP?

PotD is that Palace of the Dead thing I mentioned. It's more useful for DPS because you'll get lovely dungeon queues as a DPS, but I also like running it through to 60 on everything because you can set up your hotbar so you don't have to move poo poo around as you get more abilities.

If you did LDR once a day once you hit 16 and literally nothing else, maybe a couple months? But you can also toss in 50DR once you get to 50.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looks like dragoons are getting Ala Mhorn.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

isk posted:

Later on, Monk has more problems with elevation than other strong classes, and Chakra isn't strong enough as a heal to matter most of the time, but it's quite good thru Ch 2 and still effective in Ch 3.
Unless you know what you're doing and by chapter 3 you have the right mix of classes and job skills to break the game into tiny pieces.

Of course, Martial Arts is a good, useful tool forever since punching people is one of the better attack options you have.

Silvergun1000 posted:

That's cool. So I've got a 60 from when Heavensward launched, about how long would it take me to get a lvl 1 to lvl 60 without doing any serious FATE and leve grinding?

Also what's POTD and is that good XP?

Assuming you just have Armoury Bonus and Rested XP, don't have to worry about gear and you're doing so semi-casually (daily roulette + an hour or two's worth of getting XP via highest dungeons or other good methods):
1-50 should take a couple days. 50-60 should take maybe a week. You'll hit a big hump from 58-59 but 59-60 is like, 4 Gubal's.

For 50-60 that's about how long it took me to get all of my alt classes up and I barely touched any FATE's or leves (because this was before they buffed HW fates to be worth it :v:)

POTD is Palace of the Dead, a sort of random semi-dungeon designed that any group of 4 can complete it. It's decent xp for the time investment if you spam certain floor stratums.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 13, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Can't really tell because they're on Lalafells, but the AST, SCH and DRG sets looks pretty cool.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can't really tell because they're on Lalafells, but the AST, SCH and DRG sets looks pretty cool.

Think all the sets got shown off in the benchmark preview.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

New WHM action: too many beans for breakfast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The SCH ability has you deface your book. Very un-scholarly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

For a better look, they're the same sets at the end of the Stormblood benchmark.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Unless you know what you're doing and by chapter 3 you have the right mix of classes and job skills to break the game into tiny pieces.

Of course, Martial Arts is a good, useful tool forever since punching people is one of the better attack options you have.

Assuming you just have Armoury Bonus and Rested XP, don't have to worry about gear and you're doing so semi-casually (daily roulette + an hour or two's worth of getting XP via highest dungeons or other good methods):
1-50 should take a couple days. 50-60 should take maybe a week. You'll hit a big hump from 58-59 but 59-60 is like, 4 Gubal's.

For 50-60 that's about how long it took me to get all of my alt classes up and I barely touched any FATE's or leves (because this was before they buffed HW fates to be worth it :v:)

POTD is Palace of the Dead, a sort of random semi-dungeon designed that any group of 4 can complete it. It's decent xp for the time investment if you spam certain floor stratums.

Cool, thank you for the answers! Now I just need to figure out how to get my security token removed since apparently my OTP app decided to lose all its settings since I last played!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wonder what they'll call the new BLM spells. Fire/Bliz/Thunder V would be pretty boring. Maybe they'll get Quake/Tornado or something silly like Meltdown/Apocalypse

comedy option they co-opt old mistranslated spells and we get Pearl and Merton

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

I wonder what they'll call the new BLM spells. Fire/Bliz/Thunder V would be pretty boring. Maybe they'll get Quake/Tornado or something silly like Meltdown/Apocalypse

comedy option they co-opt old mistranslated spells and we get Pearl and Merton

Rub :wiggle:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol I already got Arub from the WHM

I counter by casting XXXX followed by Zap!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
we need, NEED the thunder ancient magic equivalent to Flare/Freeze, Burst. beyond that I don't care.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Silvergun1000 posted:

Cool, thank you for the answers! Now I just need to figure out how to get my security token removed since apparently my OTP app decided to lose all its settings since I last played!

Yeah their app is not great about this. There is an emergency removal password given when you set it up and I recommend putting that in your password vault notes for FF14 so you'll have easy access to it if that happens again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zombones posted:

I am a Monk main and I can't even imagine doing my rotation on a keyboard.

I raid as a monk and do it pretty well on a M+KB. 123 for the back combos, ctrl+123 for side combos. Basically all the offgcds are in my mouse's side buttons and it also has 2 buttons next to the left mouse button. Not that hard really.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

DemonMage posted:

Yeah their app is not great about this. There is an emergency removal password given when you set it up and I recommend putting that in your password vault notes for FF14 so you'll have easy access to it if that happens again.

That's good to know, thanks! Fortunately I was able to get the token removed pretty easily by talking to their customer service people so that solved the problem!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I main MNK on controller, and honestly I couldn't tell you what 95% of the skills' names, but I know by muscle memory exactly what skill I'm hitting and when I'm hitting it on what rotation.

poo poo, now that I think about it, I think I've instinctively mapped out skills on other jobs in the same format I mapped out MNK skills. I honestly can't imagine playing on a mouse and keyboard, as the button/dpad + shoulder button method is so ingrained in how I do it.

e: Which I should say is a good sign of game design, as controller play would seem like a automatic hindrance for a MMO

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

poo poo, now that I think about it, I think I've instinctively mapped out skills on other jobs in the same format I mapped out MNK skills.

I do this too. It only makes sense. Different jobs of the same role are pretty similar. I'm leveling DRK and I have its buffs that mirror PLD's, and cross-class skills, in the same place on my keyboard.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
If I do leave my garuda-egi on sic, how much am I loving up? I use voice attack to control most of my abilities (hands are broke), and weaving in pet abilities is just...too much. (I'm still trying to master the SMN opener, I keep loving up)

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I main MNK on controller, and honestly I couldn't tell you what 95% of the skills' names, but I know by muscle memory exactly what skill I'm hitting and when I'm hitting it on what rotation.

poo poo, now that I think about it, I think I've instinctively mapped out skills on other jobs in the same format I mapped out MNK skills. I honestly can't imagine playing on a mouse and keyboard, as the button/dpad + shoulder button method is so ingrained in how I do it.

e: Which I should say is a good sign of game design, as controller play would seem like a automatic hindrance for a MMO

If it gets this easy on a controller, maybe I should go for it. You get the benefit of many orders-of-magnitude more key combinations on a keyboard, but I do often find myself doing finger-gymnastics while circle-strafing + executing rotations at the same time on the keyboard.

Edit: The problem I face with the keyboard would, admittedly, be likely solved with a better strategy at remapping the keys.

Nahrix fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 13, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Valicious posted:

If I do leave my garuda-egi on sic, how much am I loving up? I use voice attack to control most of my abilities (hands are broke), and weaving in pet abilities is just...too much. (I'm still trying to master the SMN opener, I keep loving up)

From what I heard Garuda is kinda lovely on sic because she'll blow Contagion early. If you want a pet that you don't have to manage, use Ifrit.

e: Also, how does that work if you don't mind me asking? Are you just saying "Bio. Bio 2. Miasma. Bane." and so on?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Valicious posted:

I'm not an expert on SMN but you'd probably be better off with Ifrit. Garuda on sic loses a ton of potency by using contagion on cooldown instead of waiting until you have a full set of buffed dots up, Ifrit on sic doesn't suffer from using its thing on cooldown unless it happens to be right before a part where no one is taking any physical damage.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

vOv posted:

From what I heard Garuda is kinda lovely on sic because she'll blow Contagion early. If you want a pet that you don't have to manage, use Ifrit.

e: Also, how does that work if you don't mind me asking? Are you just saying "Bio. Bio 2. Miasma. Bane." and so on?

I have two rows of hotbars, and I say "one, two, three, etc" and try to speak as rapidly as possibly for off-GCD abilities
Not on youtube, but on my Facebook. My friend shot a video and posted it without me knowing
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154554046498568&id=615528567

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if i'm playing any class with a complicated opener (that i'm not very familiar with), i just repeat 'i do this and then i do this'. i have practically every dps formatted the same on my controller, which has the drawback of making any non-melee dps class nearly impossible to play because they're so different.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Looking at those new ability screenshots, it sure would be nice if the AST one is a long cooldown that lets you force a card. I figure since there are eight cards there now, you would turn your character to face the direction that has the card you want as a selwction mechanic.

Of course, If wishes were fishes, Yoshi-P would give MCHs a "detonate Wildfire now" button, or make it so that Wildfire detonates itself if it would fall off during a mechanic or transition.

That would keep me playing MCH more than a flamethrower would.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 13, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just finished 3.5, and while the ending wasn't even close to as compelling as the end of 2.5, it's also a lot less likely to be handwaved away since it's direct set up for the expansion it's leading into. 3.4 was probably the highlight of the post-release 3.x story for me, because it did a good job of broadening the setting (even if it felt super rushed), and I hope we see more along those lines, though ideally while staying grounded in more terrestrial concerns as well. Just to nitpick, I kind of wish they'd shoved the Triad into the MSQ somehow. As an idiot who somehow managed to still fall off the ledge for Titan Hard in the recycled fight, I can see why trials can stress people out, but I still think there's value in including them as part of the core experience, and finding more use for Azys Lla would have been cool too.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Idling in FF14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2WtnbTet-Q

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Valicious posted:

The main thing is contagion, which is a fairly big dps loss. If you can't handle her on obey, I'd suggest using Ifrit instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really genuinely recommend learning to use Garuda's skills. Just assigned them to hotkeys and learn to use them. Having Contagion available is really significant.

A big thing that helps me with that is: You can cast Pet spells while mid-cast for other spells. Once you get the feel for doing that you realize that you've got like 2 seconds of Do Nothing time in which to hit your hotkeys and it becomes really non-stressful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Garuda on Obey means pressing a single extra button after applying your three basic dots but before using Bane. Contagion adds a lot of uptime to all of your bread-and-butter dots and as a casual I appreciate it a lot. Even if I hear Ifrit is sometimes better.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Now that I'm playing again, I've been thinking of giving tanking a shot, but given that I've pretty much only just unlocked the tank I want to play (DRK), how much am I going to wind up hating life with all the well-geared DPS that I'm going to have to hold agro against? Would it just be a better idea to stick to a healer or DPS for now or is holding threat not really as big of a deal?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
With SB around the corner and everyone and their mother and their mother's dog wanting to sample the flavors of SAM and RDM, it's actually a pretty decent time to learn how to tank.

Things to know about DRK: Darkside and Grit aren't mutually exclusive and you should generally be running Darkside all the time (toggling it off to regain mana between pulls is also a thing to do.)
You'll want to keep an eye on your mana, especially at higher levels when you actually start spending a significant amount of it. Once you get Soul Eater and especially when you get Delirium (DPS combo) you'll rarely use Power Slash ever again (threat combo.)

Things to know about Tanking: your Weapon is your most important item to keep up to date and your left side gear is a close second as well. Basic Defense and Magic Defense are pretty important.
Defensive cooldowns are not just boss-only things and should be used judiciously. A few trash packs in most instances outright do more damage than the bosses thanks to the sheer amount of normal+special attacks they do.
Try to remember all of the things your previous tanks did and do the things you liked them doing and don't do the things you didn't like them doing. (If you don't remember this, that's fine it's something to keep in mind whenever you do non-tank stuff.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Silvergun1000 posted:

Now that I'm playing again, I've been thinking of giving tanking a shot, but given that I've pretty much only just unlocked the tank I want to play (DRK), how much am I going to wind up hating life with all the well-geared DPS that I'm going to have to hold agro against? Would it just be a better idea to stick to a healer or DPS for now or is holding threat not really as big of a deal?

Dark knights have the easiest time holding AOE threat and the hardest time holding single target threat, although the latter won't really matter until you get to endgame raids.

Also tanking is the easiest role in the game so don't worry about it too much.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, Tanking is super easy. The mechanically hardest part of the job is learning cooldown management and when you can safely drop tank stance to increase party DPS while main tanking, but that's not even a requirement the vast majority of the game.

The actual real hardest part of the job is getting a feel for your party comp and player skill of your buddies, and pulling accordingly. But it becomes second nature eventually.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Losing aoe threat as DRK is borderline impossible unless you start the fight with no MP.
You shouldn't have trouble against geared DPS on bosses if you keep grit on, either, with the exception of the very start of the fight, especially against certain jobs if they decide they're too good to use Quelling strikes. Once you're geared you can start off with two or three Power Slash combos and them dump grit for the rest of the fight, but until you're geared relative to the dps you should start with a power slash (maybe) and then just do as much damage as you can without turning grit off.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Dark knights have the easiest time holding AOE threat and the hardest time holding single target threat, although the latter won't really matter until you get to endgame raids.

Also tanking is the easiest role in the game so don't worry about it too much.

dpsing is far and away the easiest job in the game because, as we've established, you don't even have to do your loving job and still get clears

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
tanking is the easiest job to play to an acceptable level assuming we actually hold people to a standard of mediocrity

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's not really true, either, because a mediocre tank can still gently caress up a run but a mediocre dps can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Unless you're fighting Nidhogg.

• Locked thread