Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is a taff

Probably Japanese Katakana for "tough" romanized badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a screenshot completely removed from context.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Taking lots of screenshots of your games is a cool idea that I wish I did but i'm too lazy

They patched it on on PS4 a year or two back to automatically take a screenshot when you get a trophy so I have hundreds of photos of blank/loading screens since that's when they pop half the time

I dunno when they patched it or if it was just always there, but you can set it to automatically take a screenshot on pressing the share button and then make it so you have to hold the button to get the menu to come up like normal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Edmond Dantes posted:

Probably Japanese Katakana for "tough" romanized badly.

thats what giant bomb said on stream when they saw it yesterday

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"jadding the taff" is what the british call doing dishes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoSAJeVwg8

I like this version better than the HD version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3kGanKCZ5k

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

"jadding the taff" is what the british call doing dishes

oi mate fancy a round of rooty tooty point and shooty on me dendybox

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IXhqQBpsbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7hUfxzW40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7K3MgImic

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't remember if it was here or in the Steam thread but someone mentioned that The Surge has a time limit on recovering your tech scrap(The "souls" of the game); watching the GB Quick Play, you do indeed have a 2:30min limit to recover your stuff but that timer is also increased every time you kill a mook. So yes, it is an unnecessary mechanic that would be better removed but it's a bit more lenient than seems at first.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Horror games shouldn't be action-oriented.

Narrow definitions rarely do genres any favors.

Sakurazuka posted:

Tag urself im DESSERT EAGLE

Hi, it's me SENSOR BOMB, here.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phantasium posted:

Also everyone is named after foods and drinks, which 11 year old me somehow didn't notice.

I like that there is a Thirstquencher Army.

mutata posted:

Hi, it's me SENSOR BOMB, here.

Read too fast and thought you said Señor Bomb.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Yo, Quake Champions is a lot of fun but I don't have any friends. :(

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Real talk, when will they realize that Fallout:NV was the best goddamn fallout made to date with pretty mediocre combat, and that will be the focus to remake New Vegas with Fallout 4s clear strength above the rest, the combat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Real talk, when will they realize that Fallout:NV was the best goddamn fallout made to date with pretty mediocre combat, and that will be the focus to remake New Vegas with Fallout 4s clear strength above the rest, the combat.

bethesda didnt make new vegas

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

corn in the bible posted:

bethesda didnt make new vegas

I jolly well goddamn know it was Obsidian, because they can write better than they can make video games, I just want it to happen

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Has there been any word on what vlambeer is up to these days? Maybe some surprise announcement at E3?
From the sounds of things they've just been kind of doing solo projects for a while. JW the programmer and Jukio the Nuclear Throne composer have been working on Minit, an adventure game played a minute at a time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bethesda as a developer is completely creatively bankrupt and incompetent, their most worthwhile function right now is as a vector of destruction for Oculus Rift

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I feel like they (Bethesda) low balled the gently caress out of DOOM. With the Multiplayer beta they had, plus the lack of a demo, and nothing but the word of the people that made the game, It was difficult to put money into the game.

This is the only game that completely blew away my expectations, and the only reason I gave it a chance is because I grew up playing the gently caress out of shareware doom on dos

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I feel like they (Bethesda) low balled the gently caress out of DOOM. With the Multiplayer beta they had, plus the lack of a demo, and nothing but the word of the people that made the game, It was difficult to put money into the game.

This is the only game that completely blew away my expectations, and the only reason I gave it a chance is because I grew up playing the gently caress out of shareware doom on dos

Seems like they did the same with Prey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Serious question, since Castlevania is a great segue into it: how do you feel about Bloodborne as a horror game? It's action-oriented, but it's full of horrific imagery (going well beyond copy-pasted skeletons and Universal Monsters), has incredibly dark and unpleasant themes (I don't think the game is capable of resolving positively for basically anyone in it), and mechanically puts you in a state of fear because just like other Souls games any misstep can result in sudden and virtually instant death.

If you don't think it's a horror game, or that it's a bad one, why?

I didn't play it so I can't definitively comment, but I did watch an LP. I certainly appreciate its use of horror imagery and feel it's thematically stronger than Dark Souls as a result with the whole "things just keep getting worse" thing From Software loves to do. I think it's probably far too action oriented to be a true horror game though. Despite the difficulty it doesn't make you feel that vulnerable or helpless, and you can do sick combos on even the dark gods that dwell beyond the sight of man while wielding super rad weapons. I think horror is primarily about disempowerment.

It's certainly got some very horrific things in it, though, both thematically and viscerally.

E: Skellige's Most Wanted is a pretty good Witcher 3 quest.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 13, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So video games can't be true horror because you eventually have to win encounters in order to progress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

So video games can't be true horror because you eventually have to win encounters in order to progress.

That isn't what I said at all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm just pointing out that unlike movies or novels, video game protagonists have to win at some point because gameplay demands it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I'm just pointing out that unlike movies or novels, video game protagonists have to win at some point because gameplay demands it.

There's a reason a lot of horror video games don't have good endings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

...they do?

Sir have you played Pathologic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

I see you have not played The Graveyard

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

There's a reason a lot of horror video games don't have good endings.

Sure. I'm referring to the fact that there are obstacles you're forced to overcome before even reaching that ending. If you fail you get to try again. There's something implicitly empowering about that. To me anyway. I don't usually play scary games because I don't like being scared.

StrixNebulosa posted:

...they do?

Sir have you played Pathologic

No but its Wikipedia description makes it sound really loving cool

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

No but its Wikipedia description makes it sound really loving cool

It's a game about failure, even when you succeed, and its creeping dread is incredibly compelling to me, even if playing the thing is a drat slog. There's a remake in the works, but I don't know if it'll work on playability at all, or if it should.

Horror isn't just jump scares and succeeding - and there's room for that in videogames. You have to keep going/doing things to progress the game, but those things don't have to be successes.

Another example: the big ol' warcrimes twist in Spec Ops: The Line. Not a very good one as it's a linear experience, but it's all over horror happening because you won't stop playing the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should have left the 'gently caress this poo poo I'm going home' option in Spec Ops.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Did you beat it yet?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Bloodborne was a game that was scary to me because the imagery and gameplay gelled extremely well. I did feel extremely helpless at times too but was so engrossed that I kept at it and got pretty good. You should probably play it Lurdiak. It's easily in my list of top 10 games of all time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't play it so I can't definitively comment, but I did watch an LP. I certainly appreciate its use of horror imagery and feel it's thematically stronger than Dark Souls as a result with the whole "things just keep getting worse" thing From Software loves to do. I think it's probably far too action oriented to be a true horror game though. Despite the difficulty it doesn't make you feel that vulnerable or helpless, and you can do sick combos on even the dark gods that dwell beyond the sight of man while wielding super rad weapons. I think horror is primarily about disempowerment.

It's certainly got some very horrific things in it, though, both thematically and viscerally.

E: Skellige's Most Wanted is a pretty good Witcher 3 quest.

"You don't feel vulnerable or helpless if you're skilled enough" would mean that Resident Evil, the literal creator of the Survival Horror genre definition, is not a horror game which I don't think really makes sense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So this is kinda cool: Activision paid Yoji Shinkawa, the awesome concept artist on the Metal Gear series, to draw some Call of Duty stuff for a PS4 theme.

It's nice to see some new art from him without having to wait another five years for Death Stranding, and the end results are pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

So this is kinda cool: Activision paid Yoji Shinkawa, the awesome concept artist on the Metal Gear series, to draw some Call of Duty stuff for a PS4 theme.

It's nice to see some new art from him without having to wait another five years for Death Stranding, and the end results are pretty cool.

I frigging love Shinkawa art but it is so connected with Metal Gear in my mind now I can't see anything else.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Silence of the Lambs is ostensibly a horror film about a serial killer. Clarice Starling defeats the main antagonist, Buffalo Bill, and rescues his last victim. But Hannibal Lecter escapes from custody, and Clarice will carry scars from what happened for the rest of her life, because Buffalo Bill isn't really the monster in The Silence of the Lambs.

There are a lot of games that pull off very similar arcs, like Bloodborne and The Last of Us. You can't extricate an element like "the protagonist wins several encounters" or whatever from the overall themes of the story and the way they end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When it comes to videogames horror is much more about the aesthetic than 'is this scary Y/N'.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps the true horror is existence.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think video games could be the best way to present horror because you can directly control what a player knows and sees and ultimately the player is responsible for the consequences of their decisions.
Like the fighters guild quest in Oblivion where you do lizard drugs and it turns out you didn't kill ogres like you saw, but slaughtered a village of innocent people. You can't do that with movies or books.

Sadly, the cool things you can do are not really profitable compared to jump scares in a more generic killy game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

"You don't feel vulnerable or helpless if you're skilled enough" would mean that Resident Evil, the literal creator of the Survival Horror genre definition, is not a horror game which I don't think really makes sense.

I didn't say anything about skill level. And yes, the ironic thing about the classic Resident Evil games is that playing aggressively (if you know what you're doing) is much more effective and safe than taking your time because enemies don't know how to deal with aggressive speed, but the genius of those games is that every piece of feedback you get encourages you to play slowly and carefully.

But I digress. My point was about how horror, to me, in games, is more about the gameplay, feedback and theming than it is about the aesthetic. Splatterhouse isn't really a horror game to me, it's a difficult combat platformer with tons of horror elements. But Sweet Home and Clock Tower are horror games. And it could be argued the terrible Friday the 13th NES game is a horror game because of its structure, just not a very good one. Horror isn't about how hard or easy the game is either (that would make Godhand one of the scariest games of all time) but rather how failure is treated in-game. Many classic horror titles kick you back to the title screen or to your last manual save when you die, and they're right to do so. Checkpointing creates a safety net of convenience that, to me, takes away from the feeling of fear one can experience in games.

Keep in mind these are just my personal parameters. Genres aren't a set in stone thing, they're an attempt by humans to classify art into categories, which may be a futile exercise. Lots of things that I would classify as horror in film wouldn't pass muster in video game form because I judge the art forms separately. But yeah, in my view, Dead Space and RE4 are bad horror games but great action games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I think video games could be the best way to present horror because you can directly control what a player knows and sees and ultimately the player is responsible for the consequences of their decisions.
Like the fighters guild quest in Oblivion where you do lizard drugs and it turns out you didn't kill ogres like you saw, but slaughtered a village of innocent people. You can't do that with movies or books.

Sadly, the cool things you can do are not really profitable compared to jump scares in a more generic killy game.

These kinds of moments are very cool, but I never felt any deep emotions like terror because:

1) Writing a good video game story is hard to do, apparently
2) You can load the old save and experience the alternative route (if there is one)
3) It's hard to feel like I'm responsible for my actions in video games, because you don't have true freedom of choice. Game designers have to abstract the choice and consequences due to constraints, or omit reasonable choices because they simply didn't expected players to make them.

• Locked thread