Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're only hurting yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

mossyfisk posted:

extra tidbit: "Wait, I went back to check and Chekov wasn't even in Space Seed"

Walter Koenig has a great response to this, which is basically: Khan needed to use the bathroom, and the only stall was occupied by Chekov, and when Chekov finally got out, Khan glared at him and said, "I...never forget a face!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It actually does look kinda related to the Kelvin uniform.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

You're only hurting yourself.

Optimists like Trek.

I'll be fine.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oh, awesome. Jeffery Combs is Brainiac in Injustice 2.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

It actually does look kinda related to the Kelvin uniform.

Believe me, I want it to be related more than anybody, but I just don't think these guys will give any lip service to canon at all. Remember this series is literally taking place at the same time as The Cage, but you know it will not look at all like the aesthetic of that ship/technology/uniforms. I'll give you the idea that technically The Cage might not be canon because it was never aired, but what Discovery will do is basically retcon The Menagerie out of existence, which effectively erases 4% of the aired episodes of The Original Series, which is not cool.

Why they couldn't just set it in 2245 instead I have no clue. :shrug: At least Berman and Braga had the decency to set Enterprise in an era we had never seen or heard about so despite their insistence on viewscreens, "phaser pistols" and Borg, the ships, tech and uniforms wouldn't be so anachronistic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's almost like the team working on ST:D just doesn't give a poo poo whatsoever. Huh.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Astroman posted:

Believe me, I want it to be related more than anybody, but I just don't think these guys will give any lip service to canon at all. Remember this series is literally taking place at the same time as The Cage, but you know it will not look at all like the aesthetic of that ship/technology/uniforms. I'll give you the idea that technically The Cage might not be canon because it was never aired, but what Discovery will do is basically retcon The Menagerie out of existence, which effectively erases 4% of the aired episodes of The Original Series, which is not cool.

Why they couldn't just set it in 2245 instead I have no clue. :shrug: At least Berman and Braga had the decency to set Enterprise in an era we had never seen or heard about so despite their insistence on viewscreens, "phaser pistols" and Borg, the ships, tech and uniforms wouldn't be so anachronistic.

I'm in the UK and we have aired The Cage

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
"A 22 minute Recut of 'Star Trek-The Motion Picture' set to Daft Punk's modern original score for 'Tron: Legacy'."

https://vimeo.com/217336882

e:
risky share, as I hadn't actually watched it yet, but I just finished it and it's actually pretty dang good, some scenes more than others. Halfway between a bitesize version of the motion picture and an extended music video for Legacy

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 14, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bohemian Nights posted:

"A 22 minute Recut of 'Star Trek-The Motion Picture' set to Daft Punk's modern original score for 'Tron: Legacy'."

e:
risky share, as I hadn't actually watched it yet, but I just finished it and it's actually pretty dang good, some scenes more than others. Halfway between a bitesize version of the motion picture and an extended music video for Legacy

It also goes a long way to showing how minimal the actual plot of TMP is

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

It also goes a long way to showing how minimal the actual plot of TMP is

I love TMP for its period aesthetics, if nothing else: earth tone onesie uniforms, beige carpetting, Spock's trip, that absolutely earnest "what forms of recreation do you enjoy, unknowable entity currently possessing my BFF?" dialogue - it's beautiful.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bohemian Nights posted:

e:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of those movies I have an affinity for but definitely can't ever recommend (kinda like Generations!). It's less than the sum of its parts, and this edit really underlines how much of itself this movie can live without. It sticks out from the rest of Trek - it doesn't fit with the show, it doesn't fit with the subsequent, less-ambitious Star Trek II-VI, it's just its own joyless parallel universe of Star Trek where everyone and everything looks weird. You get the feeling that they saw this as their one shot to make a Trek film, which is understandable, and they overreached. Still, if you find yourself marathoning some Star Trek, it's a decent palate cleanser and an interesting 2-hour footnote to a now-prolific franchise.

One thing I've noticed watching this (I've watched it twice now) is how many truly striking images of space and the Enterprise itself that TMP shows the audience. The problem with TMP, though, is those striking images stay in front of you for so long that they grow stale. So many two minute shots become 10-second shots in this edit and they honestly work better that way. This is especially true of when Enterprise is maneuvering inside V'Ger. In the movie you see these shots, you're impressed by them, but they stay for so long that matte lines and imperfections start popping out at you. The movie wants you to fully examine the artists' work but takes it too far. I actually appreciate TPM more through the lens of this edit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

spincube posted:

I love TMP for its period aesthetics, if nothing else: earth tone onesie uniforms, beige carpetting, Spock's trip, that absolutely earnest "what forms of recreation do you enjoy, unknowable entity currently possessing my BFF?" dialogue - it's beautiful.

Absolutely, TMP is a beautiful movie. In fact I would probably rather watch it than any of the other TOS movies. The uniforms I have to say I don't much like with the exception of Kirk's white jacket, which is both very Galaxy Quest and looks a LOT better on him than the TWoK red jacket, but then I hate those jackets anyway. Actually something that video reminded me of is just how many uniforms they made for the movie and presumably consigned to the dumpster for all the sequels -- Kirk and Spock must go through like a dozen costume changes between them. Clusterfuck though TMP is feels much closer to the original series in spirit (understandable since it's kind of a rejiggered "Changeling") and is pleasantly ambitious in reimagining the original series' soundstages and cruddy models into something that feels like a real universe. If I had to pick one Trek movie to recommend as a standalone film (NB never do this), I would probably pick TMP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most of the TMP uniforms were re-dyed and used for the cadet and enlisted uniforms for the remainder of the movies.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Astroman posted:

you should really just relax

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yeah costumes and canonicity are kinda on the low end of what could be wrong with it. Even TNG played a bit loose with what was established in TOS. What matters is if its at least as good as the better TNG episodes or end up being Voyager level trash.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I like the Wrath of Kahn uniforms. I think they look really neat - in fact I like them better than the jumpsuits seen throughout the rest of Trek. What's wrong with them?

I like flaps and panels and stripes and poo poo :shrug: this may be why I think Quark's outfits are baller af

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I like the Wrath of Kahn uniforms. I think they look really neat - in fact I like them better than the jumpsuits seen throughout the rest of Trek. What's wrong with them?

I like flaps and panels and stripes and poo poo :shrug: this may be why I think Quark's outfits are baller af

They're ugly as gently caress and not a single member of the cast looks good in them, and on top of that they lose the clear, simple visual symbolism of the tv uniforms. I would even take the goofy purple shouldered uniforms from late 90s Trek over the red jackets, that one at least looked good on Kira.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I am one of those people who can see the good in ST V, but not TMP. I think it's the plot of a lackluster episode spun out to two hours, when in it's original form it'd really struggle to fill that 44 minutes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The red jackets are fine for the movies where we ready know who everyone is and what they do, but they'd be horrible on TV. They're definitely built to allow the actors to get old and fat.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Drone posted:

It's almost like the team working on ST:D just doesn't give a poo poo whatsoever. Huh.

I pray for Voyager 2

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

The red jackets are fine for the movies where we ready know who everyone is and what they do, but they'd be horrible on TV. They're definitely built to allow the actors to get old and fat.

Well, they weren't originally designed that way; one of Meyer's first decisions when he was hired to direct was to tell Robert Fletcher that he wanted costumes that felt like "Horatio Hornblower in Space" -- so lots of flaps and buttons and regalia.

They kept having to take the jackets out and re-sew them as Doohan and especially Shatner plumped up (he looks positively embarrassing in Generations). In any event, the Monster Maroons are fine as long as they're the entire set. When they drop the belt, the trapunto turtleneck, or both, they're goddamn hideous -- heavy, double-knit wool art smocks. And they look even worse with the TNG pin, like with poor Jack Crusher here:

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 14, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Oof, someone get that poor man a belt.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Happy Mother's Day, star trek thread!

Don't forget to buy your respective moms flowers.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 14, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think TMP is a very attractive movie and the first 20 minutes or so with the Klingons, the v'ger cloud, and Kirk on Earth is fantastic. Then they spend eternity eyefucking the enterprise, Ilia and Decker show up, Xon gets melted and the movie never really recovers.

Iliia is a sexist, objectified, expendable "Metamorphosis" retread and Decker is just tedious. Joyless alien Spock and jealous, insecure Kirk are absolutely no fun to spend time with and aside from a couple decent McCoy lines, the rest of the cast has no life or character at all.

The pacing is, of course, inexcusable, but I think the worst aspect of it is the 2001-esque transcendental cosmic sci-fi woo that encapsulates so much of what is wrong with that era of sci-fi. It's a meditation on what it means to be human that somehow lacks even a shred of humanity, a romance that equates murder and possession with true love, and a social statement with nothing to say.

It's not the awful editing, or the weird acting, or the strange costumes that repulse me, it's the core premise. Everything that happens with Ilia and Decker is horrific, ill-considered, and ultimately meaningless and our heros don't really do anything besides stand on the sidelines and watch the travesty unfold. No edit, no reshoots, or anything else short of a complete rewrite could have saved that movie. It looks good, it sounds good, it brought Star Trek back from the grave, but its heart is rotten and it has no soul. gently caress TMP.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plus that thing becomes the Borg, right?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duckbag posted:

I think TMP is a very attractive movie and the first 20 minutes or so with the Klingons, the v'ger cloud, and Kirk on Earth is fantastic. Then they spend eternity eyefucking the enterprise, Ilia and Decker show up, Xon gets melted and the movie never really recovers.

Iliia is a sexist, objectified, expendable "Metamorphosis" retread and Decker is just tedious. Joyless alien Spock and jealous, insecure Kirk are absolutely no fun to spend time with and aside from a couple decent McCoy lines, the rest of the cast has no life or character at all.

The pacing is, of course, inexcusable, but I think the worst aspect of it is the 2001-esque transcendental cosmic sci-fi woo that encapsulates so much of what is wrong with that era of sci-fi. It's a meditation on what it means to be human that somehow lacks even a shred of humanity, a romance that equates murder and possession with true love, and a social statement with nothing to say.

It's not the awful editing, or the weird acting, or the strange costumes that repulse me, it's the core premise. Everything that happens with Ilia and Decker is horrific, ill-considered, and ultimately meaningless and our heros don't really do anything besides stand on the sidelines and watch the travesty unfold. No edit, no reshoots, or anything else short of a complete rewrite could have saved that movie. It looks good, it sounds good, it brought Star Trek back from the grave, but its heart is rotten and it has no soul. gently caress TMP.

The Human Adventure is Just Beginning (now that all this crap is out of the way)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

e:

Yo this is a really good click and you should all watch it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

Plus that thing becomes the Borg, right?

Only in The Return, the novel "written" by Shatner (really by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Timby posted:

Only in The Return, the novel "written" by Shatner (really by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens).

And in the Star Trek Online canon (which is generally better written than most Star Trek apocrypha and a lot of actual canon Trek material), the Borg have a dreadnought that looks a whole lot like V'Ger.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

e:

I didn't notice until watching this that the stupid looking gladiator suit security guys were from TMP. I always thought that particular bit of bad costuming came from Search for Spock.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

e:

I watched it.

It was probably better than the actual movie but only because it's shorter. There's too much in it that requires you to already know what's going on.

I do love the shots of the tiny Enterprise flying through VGER and I love the idea that some alien intelligence built this enormous incomprehensibly complicated thing just to return it to us, but it still feels like there wouldn't have been enough time for it to get anywhere nearly so exotic. Oh well, I'm sure it fell through a wormhole into the past or some poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Suddenly everyone hates TMP but thinks the uniforms are the best thing about it, are enthusiastic about catching STD and unironically called Star Trek Online well-written and better than canon.

Who killed Gabriel Bell this time?!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

drat you, it's bad enough to have to endure IL in the Comics thread. :argh:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The Tron cut was neat, but it definitely skipped over small bits of exposition and wouldn't hold up as a film by itself because it doesn't explain a lot of stuff. Some of the cuts felt TOO abrupt. But speeding up TMP made it more palatable. Although- and I never thought about this until I watched the short version, because normally I forget what's going on in TMP because uuuugggghhhh- I agree with Duckbag, the stuff with Ilia and Decker is jacked up. Ilia is replaced by a robot, Decker decides to merge with this giant computer because it's the closest he can get to his sexy bald lady, and then they just go PHOOOOOF and disappear. Is that really what Ilia would want, dude? I'd be more OK with it if he did it as more sacrifical and less "I finally get to be one with my girlfriend, in some weird poorly described post-human way!" It implies that all Decker cares about is Ilia, and if V'ger hadn't already stolen Ilia's body, he just...wouldn't care?

The short cut also shows how incredibly thin the characterization is.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, no one in that movie really feels like a person. They're all just mouthpieces for vague pseudophilosophical concepts. Disposing of one of the mouthpieces and replacing her with an identical looking one doesn't register because Ilia was never a woman -- just an unattainable dream girl perched on a mile-high pedestal. She's literally replaceable and if killing her is what it takes for for our handsome cardboard space man to have the ideal woman, that's apparently a good thing. It's the same creepy dynamic we get in Metamorphosis and it pretty much proves that Gene and co. we're existing in a weird alternate reality where feminism never happened.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Bohemian Nights posted:

e:

TMP was really gorgeous. I'd forgotten that. Thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will always love the jumpsuits with belt buckles but no belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek is filled with weird sex stuff

still less hosed up than the average proceedural