Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Good game until it turns out that the main character is Neo from the Matrix.

It's the westworld of video games, great setting, lots of potential, retarded writing that ends up ruining everything.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The first third of fahrenheit where you play the murder cover-up simulator with multiple ways of hiding/destroying evidence feels inspired, and I wish more games tried this.
I recommend Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Although it's about freeform murder uncover.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Unity's release was a complete clusterfuck on so many levels (performance, bugs, microtransactions, lovely gameplay). Some of that has been fixed or isn't relevant, but underneath it's still a so-so game with a bad plot and a bad main character.

It may have been a clusterfuck but it did have a really funny glitch

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

I recommend Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Although it's about freeform murder uncover.

What does that mean

I think those Sherlock Holmes games are on sale a lot but I always kinda assumed they were bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible often calls me at 2 am to tell me they're actually good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah Crime & Punishment is a really cool rear end in a top hat Holmes simulator, The Devil's Daughter is similar but also sadly worse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

justin mcelroy likes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexRdpI3f-U

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

What does that mean

I think those Sherlock Holmes games are on sale a lot but I always kinda assumed they were bad
Crimes and Punishments is a special entry in the series. The other ones are pretty much standard 3D point and click adventure games. C&D is more freeform - there's a crime scene and there are suspects and it's up to you who you accuse of the crime or how thoroughly you investigate the murder. Some suspects won't even be available before you uncover enough material.

Anyway, once you build a theory about the crime (there's a special system gathering important facts that you connect into logical entities) you say who you think is guilty. You can also choose what to do with him/her - you can take the consequences to the full extent of the law or go for something in a morally grey area. You also don't have to even get the information if you caught the right person - you may ask the game to tell you but you don't have to. There are several cases in the game, it's a pretty cool title.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 14, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not a huge fan of how the final resolution of the cases works (the possibility of getting it wrong sounds neat but in practice doesn't add a whole lot to the game) but yeah it's a pretty cool mystery game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

Crimes and Punishments is a special entry in the series. The other ones are pretty much standard 3D point and click adventure games. C&D is more freeform - there's a crime scene and there are suspects and it's up to you who you accuse of the crime or how thoroughly you investigate the murder. Some suspects won't even be available before you uncover enough material.

Anyway, once you build a theory about the crime (there's a special system gathering important facts that you connect into logical entities) you say who you think is guilty. You can also choose what to do with him/her - you can take the consequences to the full extent of the law or go for something in a morally grey area. You also don't have to even get the information if you caught the right person - you may ask the game to tell you but you don't have to. There are several cases in the game, it's a pretty cool title.

Thanks, that definitely sounds like something I'd be into (and they're both on sale on PS4 so I guess I'll grab the Crimes and Punishments one)

Why is the sequel worse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can you accuse a hospitalized child of committing serial murders, because otherwise it is an inferior detective game to the true champ, Persona 4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was a lot more interested in the Wild Hunt in the first Witcher game where they were apparently some kind of supernatural hell ghosts instead of just some elves.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't know anything about the wild hunt before 3 but that's what i thought they were at first. also i agree

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I dunno, I kind of dig that they are basically astronauts and this is an away team mission to some lovely backwater planet for them

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Are any of the Tales games you can get on the PS4 good? Cool combo videos are drawing me in to wanting to try these games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nina posted:

Are any of the Tales games you can get on the PS4 good? Cool combo videos are drawing me in to wanting to try these games

Berseria is one of the best tales games

(Zestiria is awful, don't play it)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nina posted:

Berseria is the best Tales game you can get on anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Are there ever going to be any side quests in this one? I'm playing it right now and am enjoying it a ton, but it seems weird that I've been at it for 20+ hours and it's been more linear and with less side content than even Zestiria was. It's not necessarily a bad thing I'm just curious

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that the one where they hired an editor to get rid of hours of plot-filler?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Are there ever going to be any side quests in this one? I'm playing it right now and am enjoying it a ton, but it seems weird that I've been at it for 20+ hours and it's been more linear and with less side content than even Zestiria was. It's not necessarily a bad thing I'm just curious

They're almost all backloaded kinda like Chrono Trigger, don't worry too much about it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Regy Rusty posted:

Most of the Side quests aside from Code Reds are all in the back quarter of the game. You'll be able start a couple in the middle of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good to know! Thanks

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Was there ever a port of Tales of Destiny 2, whether official or with a translation patch?
The real one on PS2 I mean, not the PS1 one that was actually Tales of Eternia that they relabeled on the US release for some reason.
Destiny was the first Tales game I played so I still have a soft spot for it, clunky as it is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

Was there ever a port of Tales of Destiny 2, whether official or with a translation patch?
The real one on PS2 I mean, not the PS1 one that was actually Tales of Eternia that they relabeled on the US release for some reason.
Destiny was the first Tales game I played so I still have a soft spot for it, clunky as it is.

Nope.

The farthest a fan translation got was translating the menus, iirc.

I remember there being a summary of it on GameFAQs (though it was written by somebody where English was not their first language so it's kinda hard to parse at times).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Good morning everyone. I hope today you remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itYR_y6QrU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I finally beat the first boss of the Ringed City last night. It took few attempts to learn how to dodge his two worst attacks, then on the kill I ended up eating both of the attacks and still managed to survive :v:

I can't imagine how hard that boss would be if you couldn't hug them to avoid most of the swipes, Bloodborne style.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PYF mothers in video games

Crono's mom for me

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Every Pokémon mom.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Elizabet Sobek.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Toadstool has kids?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Well we've never seen Mrs Bowser

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

tap my mountain posted:

Well we've never seen Mrs Bowser

Mrs Bowser is Kamek

Also tough mom from hit game fantasy final XIII

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Toadstool has kids?

Bowser Jr.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

OneDeadman posted:

Mrs Bowser is Kamek

Also tough mom from hit game fantasy final XIII

Kamek is male... but there's Kammy Koopa

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

PYF mothers in video games

Bayonetta

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I also have two right hands.

e: oh nm, the shadows are just hosed up and confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do people like the souls character creators outside of their ability to create weird abominations because they never seemed very good to me

• Locked thread