Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lurdiak posted:

The honeymoon is ending between Zelda and her cool friend.

She's not cool as much as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

She's not cool as much as dumb.

I think she's kinda supposed to be both.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Duckbag posted:

I think she's kinda supposed to be both.

She's supposed to be the one who has her poo poo together as opposed to Zelda, but also kina sheltered because her family is rich.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Haha this is beautiful

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
FACTS LOGIC TRUTH REASON *rips shirt to reveal an M-shield* I AM MAN HEAR ME ROAR

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kirschen is right to wonder if Trump will bring along Pollard, another person who gave away US secrets

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Is the joke going over my head or is there nothing here except "cyber attacks are bad"? Because I'm not sure if there's a whole lot of debate on the matter.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pants Donkey posted:

Kirschen is right to wonder if Trump will bring along Pollard, another person who gave away US secrets

He IS CONTINUING TO gently caress THE CHICKEN OF JONATHAN POLLARD WHO IS ALREADY OUT OF JAIL

Unless we're trading Pollard for Vannu, get hosed you old bag.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Personally, I was wondering more about him bringing Bannon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

He IS CONTINUING TO gently caress THE CHICKEN OF JONATHAN POLLARD WHO IS ALREADY OUT OF JAIL

Unless we're trading Pollard for Vannu, get hosed you old bag.

If there is one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that political cartoonists form habits they have incredible trouble breaking.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i remember when the jonathan pollard release cartoon was just some lovely re-used cartoon and i felt mad as hell

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

alt-right internet types keyed in on coverage of coded white supremacist language, and started promoting various innocuous things as being white supremacist symbols. The OK gesture is one of those. Note this is difficult to generally evaluate with certainty; because of the faux-ironic trolling reality-attacking approach these people use with everything, it's likely that a bunch of them, knowingly or not, do use these fake signifiers as actual white supremacist indicators.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, it started as a "trick", except other Neo-Nazis and the like started using it in complete seriousness. Once that started happening, people reported on it, then the *channers claimed victory for the success of their "trick" in getting people to think Nazis used it as a white power signal (which is exactly what was happening).

They basically gave the OK hand sign the Pepe treatment; it's now another thing Neo-Nazis and such are doing entirely unironically.

Edit: In case you're wondering how the OK hand sign could be a white power signal, the idea is that the three extended fingers are a W, and the finger circle + arm make a P. WP, "White Power".
These posts reminded me:

That carnation on Pepe's jacket is yet another one of these loving it-is-but-it-isn't-but-it-is co-opted signifiers.

Here's a good breakdown of the tactic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nazis sure love them some grade school level codes.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
boy these nazis sure are getting my goat!! i sure hope they don't try to co-opt the things that really matter to me. Like, for example, cutting off my own penis. Yes indeed, that sacred act of cutting off one's own penis. I sure hope these crafty nazis don't start doing that! yes indeed that would trigger me highly.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Angepain posted:

boy these nazis sure are getting my goat!! i sure hope they don't try to co-opt the things that really matter to me. Like, for example, cutting off my own penis. Yes indeed, that sacred act of cutting off one's own penis. I sure hope these crafty nazis don't start doing that! yes indeed that would trigger me highly.

da share z0ne alt account spotted

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Angepain posted:

Oh thank you baby Jesus I thought I was the only one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pretty sure Trump doesn't even know who Pollard is.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It's funny to see even the hi-effort political cartoonists completely unable to keep up as Trump lurches from scandal to scandal.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angepain posted:

To be fair, penis cutting has been used to signify membership in ethnic groups, so it's not that far fetched.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

BonHair posted:

To be fair, penis cutting has been used to signify membership in ethnic groups, so it's not that far fetched.

Nah you ruined it. They won't touch anything "ethnic"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can we get them hotboxing nitrogen?

See, air is like 78% nitrogen and then you've got 22% of troublesome minorities, like carbon dioxide. Cause a lot of problems. It'd be better if air was really pure, just 100% of the nitrogen master race. Breathing that pure air devoid of minority molecules is what a strong Aryan Übermensch would do. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cartoons :pants:

GIZMOS

What could it mean?

Garrison needs to hurry and Make Bitcoin Great Again!

Unfortunate timing, Branco.

A strong contender for Worst Label this year

They still can't get over the Foundation.

There's a couple variations on this.

aw, poor baby

Payne giving us hot takes the only way he knows how.

Meanwhile, Ramirez continues to desperately focus on Obama. Donald who?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

If it's one thing those intolerant lefties keep saying over and over again to discredit their opponents, it's "crooked!"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

Gotta admire the fucker. The Obama presidency may be over, but that's no reason to stop drawing the same tiny-wheeled car, the same huge bumper and the same "uppity friend of the family lefty with his nose up in the air".

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein wrote a memo laying the groundwork for the firing of FBI Director Comey. He says Comey was unaccountable. Here’s a version of Rosenstein’s memo published in The Atlantic.

But Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe writes in the The Washington Post that Trump obstructed justice when he fired Comey. He thinks Trump should be impeached.

Meanwhile, Senat minority leader Chuck Schumer is demanding a special prosecutor to investigate any possible Trump/Russian caper.

Gerald Seib calls this a “troubling undercurrent for Trump.” He quotes a WSJ/NBC poll saying, “The survey found a strong desire, cutting across political affiliations, for an independent commission or a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of Russia’s role in the 2016 election.”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pants Donkey posted:

aw, poor baby

Back pay is a good thing :confused:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Show us on the doll where the big bad academic touched you drunky duck.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hate Tinsley and I hate his endless, jokeless, anti-university cartoons, but if you change "America" to "the Dean" or "the Provost" then this would be a pretty accurate depiction of the seven years that I've worked in academia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

To be fair to Tinsley, that's actually a properly-constructed joke.

Bicyclops posted:

I hate Tinsley and I hate his endless, jokeless, anti-university cartoons, but if you change "America" to "the Dean" or "the Provost" then this would be a pretty accurate depiction of the seven years that I've worked in academia.

Yeah, I could fill pages with the nuances and problems of anti-administration sentiment at universities. Often the rage is valid, but directed at the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Discendo Vox posted:

To be fair to Tinsley, that's actually a properly-constructed joke.

Yeah well sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Often the rage is valid, but directed at the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

That's a really excellent summary of both sides of the "faculty vs. the administration" dynamic that plagues the whole sector. It's become an "us vs. them" thing, and it gets in the way of solving any actual problems, which is frequently red tape administrivia or an inadequate distribution of resources based on faulty metrics, but is also frequently recalcitrant senior faculty refusing to adapt (and taking it out on people at the adjunct/non-titled/Assistant Professor levels).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Conservative Cartoonists posted:

OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY OBAMA HILLARY

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Pants Donkey posted:

Ah yes, Dems are the ones known for covering their cars in political bumper stickers and novelty plates. Yahum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pants Donkey posted:

A strong contender for Worst Label this year

Also for Most Racist Caricature. It's not 1870.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ularg posted:

Ah yes, Dems are the ones known for covering their cars in political bumper stickers and novelty plates. Yahum.

You should see a college parking lot, then. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

People on all parts of the political spectrum that own cars love putting bumper stickers on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I was at SUNY Albany during the period where private sector fucko George Philip was president and decided it was totally a good idea to eliminate five whole departments in the humanities (French, Italian, Classics, Theater, Russian) because hey, enrollments were down and we gotta run this thing like a business, right?

• Locked thread