Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Totally agree leg kicks are an effective attack

Bundt Cake posted:

Its totally normal and not weird, thats why it happens almost never

Oh okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

what are you getting at with that ..?

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I think he thinks he got you with some contradictory statements but that's only true at face value and it all falls apart when you realize that things don't need to directly end a fight to be considered effective in the octagon.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

what are you getting at with that ..?

Fighters almost never get injured from leg kicks if you ignore all the times that fighters get injured from leg kicks. Most of the times it happens though it just extends the beating like the Jorgensen fight and the heavyweight fight on the undercard of 211. It happens all the time is what I'm getting at.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Tyron Woodley vs Carlos Condit was shaping up to be a great fight before Carlos' knee unfortunately gave out on him. Fighters get hosed Up by leg kicks all the time, that is true, but few if any of them result in full ACL tears + meniscus tears + whatever else happened when Carlos fell down and couldn't stand back up. If leg kicks were that devastating there would be 4 total fights a year cause everybody on the roster would constantly be out rehabbing knee injuries and would all retire before the age of 28.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fighters almost never get injured from leg kicks if you ignore all the times that fighters get injured from leg kicks. Most of the times it happens though it just extends the beating like the Jorgensen fight and the heavyweight fight on the undercard of 211. It happens all the time is what I'm getting at.

Hey. Maybe I didn't make this clear. I don't agree about Woodley v Condit. Its not normal for a guy to get his leg tweaked on a takedown then it breaks when it gets kicked. I don't agree that that is the same as typical leg kicks accumulating or happening in the first round and surfacing later. I don't agree that it is equivalent. I hope this clears up why I think leg kicks are great.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Belgian Waffle posted:

I think he thinks he got you with some contradictory statements but that's only true at face value and it all falls apart when you realize that things don't need to directly end a fight to be considered effective in the octagon.

you were right lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Fat Twitter Man posted:

here are a lot of gay words about Stipe

I was figuring he deserved to be the favorite in this fight because the first one was super close and Stipe has shown better ability to adjust in the past than JDS has. Each of them got beaten up in the first fight because of a specific bad habit, JDS backing into the cage and Stipe dropping his hands when he punches, and I figured neither would be able to change those habits much. So it was a matter of how they would adjust their game plan. JDS went with the attrition strategy that won the first fight but added leg kicks. That was a really good idea and likely to be successful against Stipe, but Stipe's adjustment was not trying to wrestle after JDS shut down his wrestling the first fight. I dunno whether JDS chin has gotten worse or whether the KO just came from Stipe headhunting more.

Honestly I mostly just thought JDS' defense for the fight was poo poo. I dunno if it's a product of being old/beat up but it felt to me like he kept his hands too low without the head movement to survive while doing that. He was landing alright but Stipe was tagging him with everything and he never adjusted.

I just checked and JDS hasn't knocked someone out with his hands since 2012 :( . I'm sure he still hits like a motherfucker but it seems to me like he's lost some fast twitch speed.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

attackmole posted:

Honestly I mostly just thought JDS' defense for the fight was poo poo. I dunno if it's a product of being old/beat up but it felt to me like he kept his hands too low without the head movement to survive while doing that. He was landing alright but Stipe was tagging him with everything and he never adjusted.

I just checked and JDS hasn't knocked someone out with his hands since 2012 :( . I'm sure he still hits like a motherfucker but it seems to me like he's lost some fast twitch speed.

stipe made him look flat footed last time too

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Hey. Maybe I didn't make this clear. I don't agree about Woodley v Condit. Its not normal for a guy to get his leg tweaked on a takedown then it breaks when it gets kicked. I don't agree that that is the same as typical leg kicks accumulating or happening in the first round and surfacing later. I don't agree that it is equivalent. I hope this clears up why I think leg kicks are great.

I actually forgot he got injured on a takedown then got up and got kicked so yeah, I'm dumb and apologize. On the other hand it is even weirder to say that someone's knee getting injured during a takedown is some kind of fluke.

Bundt Cake posted:

He backed JDS into the cage constantly so it forced him to be flat. The second time Stipe just flattened him.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bundt Cake posted:

the difference was that Stipe kept trying and failing to wrestle him the first fight and this time he just knocked him the gently caress out

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
My ex just wrote on Facebook that Luke Rockhold just walked in the spa she works at. I'm feeling very inadequate.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Getting your knee injured on a takedown is a fluke. It can happen but it's not normal and is not what you are attempting to do when shooting a takedown.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dangersim posted:

My ex just wrote on Facebook that Luke Rockhold just walked in the spa she works at. I'm feeling very inadequate.

Does she spit or swallow?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokcLXUTlqU

BJJ Scout did a video on Maia/ Masvidal that's pretty good. Masvidal scouted a bunch of stuff that Maia does well, but it is really impressive that Demian Maia forces you to adjust to him and fight his kind of fight if you want any chance of beating him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Which favorite cusses of yours did I miss that I should go back and add?

https://streamable.com/zzjx9

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Uncle Dana is unhappy with Cousin Luke
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/dana-white-responds-luke-rockholds-think-run-mouth-213929179--mma.html

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Wanderlei wanting to gently caress Chuck!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Did the fans really want GSP/bisping?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

When he says the fans he means the people at WME who need to recoup their $4.2billion by selling lots of PPVs

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

LobsterMobster posted:

"I want to gently caress... Fight Chuck! gently caress Chuck!"

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

Reza Madadi telling Cristiano Marcello "get up, bitch"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

LobsterMobster posted:

Compilation of Derrick Lewis saying "that was some bullshit" after his terrible fight against Shamil Abdurakhimov

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Compilation of Derrick Lewis saying "that was some bullshit" after his terrible fight against Shamil Abdurakhimov

I did make this a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Se0dv0AyJM

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Basically any Derrick Lewis post fight interview but especially "Where Ronda Rousey's fine rear end at?"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the black beast is easier to understand than stipe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

black beast up in this ho

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Did the fans really want GSP/bisping?

id rather see bisping fight yoel. or gsp fight yoel

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

black beast up in this ho

Swangin n bangin, H-Town on dat boy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Google Butt posted:

the black beast is easier to understand than stipe

Not empty quoting.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Beating the poo poo out of Travis Browne made Derrick Lewis my second favourite heavyweight.

How do folks see the Lewis - Hunto fight going? I kinda feel like Mark Hunts done, like I don't expect a win. Then again dBB is fairly hittable?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

Same

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Southpaugh posted:

Beating the poo poo out of Travis Browne made Derrick Lewis my second favourite heavyweight.

How do folks see the Lewis - Hunto fight going? I kinda feel like Mark Hunts done, like I don't expect a win. Then again dBB is fairly hittable?

I don't think Lewis has the striking discipline to handle Hunt. He could very well be just another walk off KO.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think Lewis has the striking discipline to handle Hunt. He could very well be just another walk off KO.

Yeah he leaves a lot of openings for counters. If he takes Hunt down though the fight is over.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://streamable.com/zpjv6

drat, eddie has a pretty unique stagger when he gets cracked

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I'd like to see gsp silva, yoel bisping, and mousasi rockhold. and Whittaker vitor, for different reasons. hire me sean shelby

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

https://streamable.com/zpjv6

drat, eddie has a pretty unique stagger when he gets cracked

That is legitimately as close as humanly possible the same physical reaction to getting rocked in the Conor fight. Uncanny.

It's like seeing a video game that only has one animation for it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
eddie's cool

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont want to see yoel cuz hes a cheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU