Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Item Getter posted:

I'm still fairly early in the game (near end of Palace #3 it seems) and I've been very tempted to blow 100,000 yen (basically my whole wallet) on the 3rd tier SP recovery accessory since I have been having a lot of problems with Joker running out of SP during the dungeon. Is it worth it ...?

Get a couple more Death ranks first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Item Getter posted:

I'm still fairly early in the game (near end of Palace #3 it seems) and I've been very tempted to blow 100,000 yen (basically my whole wallet) on the 3rd tier SP recovery accessory since I have been having a lot of problems with Joker running out of SP during the dungeon. Is it worth it ...?

Get two more ranks of the Death confidant. She gives you a 50% discount on her entire inventory at rank 7.

After that, yes, they are very worth it. Doing each dungeon in the minimum amount of days is much easier once you have even a couple of those SP Adhesive 3s and they're useful for the whole game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Ouch. I understand his animosity with the phantom thieves, but what did Makoto ever do to him?

I thought he was secretly upset at this point that she hadn't exposed the phantom thieves, but I don't clearly remember when it happens.

Also I just realized that the entry cutscene before entering palace 5 means, Goro is totally gonna kill Okamura, isn't he?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 17, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Why would he have known that she was looking into the Phantom Thieves? I think that was their first on-screen interaction.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ChaosArgate posted:

Why would he have known that she was looking into the Phantom Thieves? I think that was their first on-screen interaction.

I assumed that Sae knew, but it's possible that the principal was the only person who knew. It's more likely Goro's just being a dick, although he's probably already strongly suspicious of Shujin students.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Blademaster_Aio posted:

You know, the game calls Akechi "pleasant boy", but his first few appearances are kinda unpleasant. He hits you where it hurts. First he says the phantom thieves should be tried in court, then he tells Makoto she's a good girl pushover.

Ouch. I understand his animosity with the phantom thieves, but what did Makoto ever do to him?
Makoto says later on that her and Goro have sort of a small rivalry, both being very smart 17/18 year olds with connections to the police department and Goro is kinda like, the only friend Makoto has at that point in the game. So it's not like some detective celeb just walked up to you sand said "what up, can't believe you're such a bitchass good girl, seeeee ya", but more like a bit of a put down from a helpful put down from her peer. Makoto flashes back to that conversation around the time of her Awakening, so it had some effect on her. I dunno if you could say that was his intention tho, since Goro's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but hey it worked I guess

Also Goro is completely right about the Phantom Thieves. They are a completely unknown factor in the world with vague motives and near unsolvable methods. Rather than everyone fawning over them as new heroes right away, they should probably be heavily investigated.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 17, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love Goro and he's not in the game nearly enough

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Moltrey posted:

Makoto says later on that her and Goro have sort of a small rivalry, both being very smart 17/18 year olds with connections to the police department and Goro is kinda like, the only friend Makoto has at that point in the game. So it's not like some detective celeb just walked up to you sand said "what up, can't believe you're such a bitchass good girl, seeeee ya", but more like a bit of a put down from a helpful put down from her peer. Makoto flashes back to that conversation around the time of her Awakening, so it had some effect on her. I dunno if you could say that was his intention tho, since Goro's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but hey it worked I guess

Also Goro is completely right about the Phantom Thieves. They are a completely unknown factor in the world with vague motives and near unsolvable methods. Rather than everyone fawning over them as new heroes right away, they should probably be heavily investigated.

Actually Goro is just heavily projecting, because the only perspective a sociopath like him knows is his own.

Also I wish he wasn't so transparently evil and not named Traitor Mctraitorson.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Healbot posted:

Actually Goro is just heavily projecting, because the only perspective a sociopath like him knows is his own.

Also I wish he wasn't so transparently evil and not named Traitor Mctraitorson.

poo poo, I didn't even realize the name Akechi was a nod to Mitsuhide until you said that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

poo poo, I didn't even realize the name Akechi was a nod to Mitsuhide until you said that.

His name's a nod to Akechi Kogoro, who is basically the Japanese equivalent of Sherlock Holmes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Terper posted:

I love Goro and he's not in the game nearly enough

:same:

The few scenes you do interact with him it's pretty boring and uninspired. Akechi is not a good person and you can tell immediately from how he speaks to Joker and company. Phantom Thieves are a vigilante group and in reality this is quite scary unpredictable turn of events along with the recent beginning game events.

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 17, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The last dungeon could really use a few more save points. Lost a good hour of progress because a group of enemies did a fantastic combo of one of them hitting Heat Riser, then another doing a AoE physical attack, which critted the MC, which gave them another shot and finished him off.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Named my Joker Mark Hamill.

So, I know that Sae and Akechi are all on board with the "Phantom thieves should be tried in court" idea, but what would you actually charge them WITH? They aren't legally stealing, unless you can establish a legal claim that a person owns their Palace in the metaverse. They aren't breaking and entering for the same reason. You couldn't really charge them with assault either, since the Shadow isn't the same as the Person. I could see a lawsuit for emotional damages, but that's civil rather than criminal. I don't know that much about the Japanese legal system, but even if you could prove the existence of the Metaverse, it seems like it would be tricky to get a charge to stick without rigging the trial.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

I'd love to see the sales numbers for the themes to see whose most/least popular, fun little impromptu character poll

I bought Joker, Igor, and Mona :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like the Goth Doctor and the Palace Six boss should hang out and go to Industrial Night together

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Joker talks to Akechi the same way he talked to Kamoshida. Basically he just smiles and nods and says these incredibly sarcastic things with a straight face and won't let himself get riled up at all.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Named my Joker Mark Hamill.

So, I know that Sae and Akechi are all on board with the "Phantom thieves should be tried in court" idea, but what would you actually charge them WITH? They aren't legally stealing, unless you can establish a legal claim that a person owns their Palace in the metaverse. They aren't breaking and entering for the same reason. You couldn't really charge them with assault either, since the Shadow isn't the same as the Person. I could see a lawsuit for emotional damages, but that's civil rather than criminal. I don't know that much about the Japanese legal system, but even if you could prove the existence of the Metaverse, it seems like it would be tricky to get a charge to stick without rigging the trial.
There's a question on a TV quiz show where, I don't recall exactly how it's stated, but it's basically: which would be considered causing bodily harm to someone: cutting their hair, or causing noise? The answer is causing noise, because the body's regular functions are disrupted, or something along those lines. Whatever the Phantom Thieves are doing, they are a) causing their victims' mental states to change without their consent and b) do this without wishing to divulge their methods. This is dire enough to necessitate investigation and trial. Perhaps you couldn't actually find them guilty of anything, but that's not what Sae and Akechi want: they want them to be put on trial so that the truth can come to light before anything terrible happens.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

For what it's worth the detective right at the beginning of the game reads out the list of charges against Joker:

quote:

Obstruction of justice, blackmail, defamation, possession of weapons... Manslaughter too, yeah? Talk about the works.

Obstruction of justice is the one that arguably covers stealing hearts; by manipulating their victims into confessing the Phantom Thieves are prejudicing any future trials of these people, thus making it more difficult for criminal justice to hold them to account. So goes the argument, at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NRVNQSR posted:

His name's a nod to Akechi Kogoro, who is basically the Japanese equivalent of Sherlock Holmes.

I really liked this when I learned about it. Also Akechi Kogoro's nemesis is The Fiend with Twenty Faces, a gentleman thief and master of disguise who sends calling cards to his victims before he strikes

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I see your point on obstruction of justice, although it feels like a bit of a stretch. I don't think blackmail or manslaughter hold up at all. Defamation requires the claims to be false right? So that's out. Possession of weapons is a tricky one...

So, their guns are airsoft weapons made real by cognition, and are therefore legal. But where do their melee weapons come from? Joker probably wasn't carrying a knife to his first day of school, but it appeared with his costume. But it can't be purely cognitive, because you can sell it to Iwai, and you buy replacement weapons too. Does the airsoft shop sell actual knives (also axes, crowbars, whips, katanas, knuckles and scimitars) or just LARP foam ones? While we're at it, Joker's glasses fix themselves in the first palace after he Awakens. Does this expand to general purpose repairs? If I lose a button on my shirt, would entering the metaverse fix that? What if it was those hipster torn jeans?

It's me, I'm the guy who wouldn't build up any social links because he's too busy using the Metaverse to conduct experiments into how all this actually works

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

I honestly expected his Nav outfit to feature a deerstalker hat.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
manslaughter holds up b/c remember they're linking p thieves to shutdowns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Blackmail comes from that's how they think the Phantom Thieves are getting all these terrible people to confess everything and just wrapping all that up in the Steal Your Heart wordage. Goro's problem with the Phantom Thieves in interviews is that at best, it can be considered immoral to change someone's heart and nature without their permission and at worst, it's a dangerous power that Cognitive Psience doesn't quite understand or the extent someone would do that.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 17, 2017

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Plus japanese cops are notorious for coercing people into confessing to crimes they may or may not have even comitted.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A thing which Akechi both knows, and is apparently 100% okay with based on the number of times he brings it up, which is zero. Persona 5 wouldn't BE a picaresque if there was nothing morally dubious about your actions, but there isn't anyone in the story itself who really has a leg to stand on when it comes to issuing moral critiques.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just like real life :smuggo:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rangpur posted:

A thing which Akechi both knows, and is apparently 100% okay with based on the number of times he brings it up, which is zero. Persona 5 wouldn't BE a picaresque if there was nothing morally dubious about your actions, but there isn't anyone in the story itself who really has a leg to stand on when it comes to issuing moral critiques.

Sojiro :colbert:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Eh, maybe. I'm not sure he'd want to though, considering you do literally save Futaba's life when nobody else could have done it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Akechi knows about the Thieves but given the social links you find basically any human kindness gets you accused of being a Phantom Thief.

"You lent me ten yen for bus fare! RANK UP MAX RANK You must be a Phantom Thief!"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Akechi knows about the Thieves but given the social links you find basically any human kindness gets you accused of being a Phantom Thief.

"You lent me ten yen for bus fare! RANK UP MAX RANK You must be a Phantom Thief!"

That's mostly because the MC lacks any subtlety in changing random hearts. "Someone's loving up your life? What's their name? No, like they're whole name. No reason, just curious. Really."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

That's mostly because the MC lacks any subtlety in changing random hearts. "Someone's loving up your life? What's their name? No, like they're whole name. No reason, just curious. Really."

Not to mention that he will immediately cop to it whenever someone brings it up. How did this remains a secret for a year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He usually only does the deed if he knows the person well to begin with, so it's not totally careless.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Having someone complain about a terrible person ruining their life and then Joker sitting up right, crossing his arms and legs and going "So what's their name" is extremely cool actually

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a reason the only people he does this with are his confidants. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Overheard: "Ugh my dog keeps coming inside after playing in the mud"

*Two hours later*

Morgana: "Okay Thieves, here's the situation..."

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Moltrey posted:

Having someone complain about a terrible person ruining their life and then Joker sitting up right, crossing his arms and legs and going "So what's their name" is extremely cool actually

Yeah, I love the shift between "we're pals hanging out" to "time to tear a demon in half, okay". It makes the whole thing feel pretty drat cool, and almost makes up for having to go to Mementos.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mementos biggest problem is the music. It's not great design, considering the competition in this game, but it didn't bother me enough to stop playing P3 either and in that game the randomly generated dungeon was far and away the area you spent most of your time exploring. But the music is inexcusably dull and grating. I'm hoping there's one more batch of DLC featuring a CD player that you can install in Morgana.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
No, Mementos's biggest problem is that the dungeon is really dull compared to everything else, and all the enemies are way underlevelled by the time you go there.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Alacron posted:

No, Mementos's biggest problem is that the dungeon is really dull compared to everything else, and all the enemies are way underlevelled by the time you go there.

I do like how it gets progressively more twisted, but yeah, it's not really interesting or fun to crawl. It's also not actively painful or anything, which it easily could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Tricksters don't give a gently caress.