Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Here's the thing that gets left out of GURPS conversations when it goes all LOL OMG RULES:

GURPS is fully modular. And I don't mean modular like "well, you can just ignore those rules if you like," I mean it's explicitly designed to operate that the level of granularity you want for your game. It's a game that has rules for everything but doesn't ever force you to use them.

For example, you can run a perfectly fun and fine campaign with just GURPS Lite, which is thirty pages (about half of them game rules, the other half is character creation). Okay, but what if one of your characters wants to use a sniper rifle at long ranges, and you need more information on how that works? You crack open the Basic Set and there's a page or two of rules about range, accuracy, aiming, etc. Now instead of making something up, you have rules for it - and they're good rules. What if your buddy wants to be a telepath? Here are the advantages you can take, there are the rules, he can now make a telepath who is balanced in power level with your expert sniper. Maybe your other friend wants to be a time-traveling Ork with a smashy mace? Awesome, here are the rules for different technological levels and archaic armor. Most of what you get in the supplements are expanded character creation options* - not more game rules. Also, GURPS supplements are pretty universally well-written and the information in them is useful for just about any game system.

GURPS is at its best when you want your game to be realistic - and it accomplishes that without getting overly bogged down by minutae. (*cough* HERO *cough*) I mean, it's still an ancient system that plays like it's straight out of 1999 but it succeeds where a dozen systems have tried and failed: a truly universal and balanced game where anything is possible.

Those shotgun rules? Out of a book specifically designed for gun freak autists who want to be able to tell the difference between a three-slug shot and a four-shot one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
no I'm pretty certain defensive GURPS people have appeared to talk about how modular and simple the base game is the last six to eight times GURPS got mentioned in this thread

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Nuns with Guns posted:

no I'm pretty certain defensive GURPS people have appeared to talk about how modular and simple the base game is the last six to eight times GURPS got mentioned in this thread

the GURPS stockholm syndrome is real, man. i'm seeing a therapist.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The problem is that they threw many of those "modules" together in a bag and shook them up and called it a core rulebook because dedicated fans would throw a fit if they hadn't stuffed as much stuff as that did into that mess of a kitchen sink. Probably would've stuck with GURPS if SJ Games hadn't decided that being bloated and crufty was a feature and not a bug.

... YMMV.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just love "so you want an Ork, telepath, and sniper to join forces? GURPS handles that great. You see, it works really well if you want to keep it *realistic*"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So basically the way to fix GURPS so people don't react violently to it is to rename Lite to Basic and Basic to Advanced?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'll say this for GURPS: It's better than Pathfinder. :haw:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The last thing I want to do with GURPS is just go completely nuts and use a bunch of the advanced combat and injury rules... with the spell based magic system.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

occamsnailfile posted:

I'll say this for GURPS: It's better than Pathfinder. :haw:
I dunno why you felt the need to set the bar on the floor before jumping over it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

starkebn posted:

the point is that a shotgun spread pattern holds together much tighter out to a long range than any game depicts

Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour, Phoenix Command? :3:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I dunno why you felt the need to set the bar on the floor before jumping over it.

I'm just bein' salty. Really I just want a GURPS 5th Edition written or at least edited by a proper tech writer and all of it done while Steve Jackson is held at gunpoint away from the process. Also I want a pony named Clip Clop.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

LatwPIAT posted:

Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and saviour, Phoenix Command? :3:

Tell me, does there exist a semi-medieval-fantasy-heartbreaker variant ? Otherwise, Storyswine Idols it is for me....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Misfit posted:

Tell me, does there exist a semi-medieval-fantasy-heartbreaker variant ? Otherwise, Storyswine Idols it is for me....

There is a Hand-to-Hand Combat ruleset for Phoenix Command that allows you fight with swords and poo poo. And there's a Special Weapons Data Supplement that has the bow and crossbow rules.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Phoenix Command LP is currently involved in one-on-one brawls with improvised weapons. If that's not goddamn medieval, I don't know what is.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
GURPS illuminati, horror, faerie, and warehouse 23 are some of the best gaming supplements of all time. Too bad they're supplements for GURPS.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mr.Misfit posted:

Phoenix Command: Hand to Hand Combat System for all your melee weapon needs, Rhand: Morningstar Missions for an actual medieval fantasy heartbreaker with a more complete set of rules (horseback combat, grappling, archery, javelins, a magic system, etc.) and Sword's Path: Glory if you feel that Phoenix Command and Rhand doesn't have enough multiplication.

That's cool and surprisingly workable. I'm disappointed it doesn't have an attribute model based on the Boss' three components of a soldier, though: Body, Technique, Spirit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Isnīt a shotgun with hard shells just an awkward rifle?
They're not really awkward, just a slower, heavier projectile. A lot of places allow hunting with shotgun slugs but not rifles; you can't accidentally kill someone a mile downrange with a shotgun.

I've always been weirded out by how shotguns in RPGs are the Spread Gun from Contra.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, its easy to forget how much Call of Cthulhu is very much a cherry-picking of Mythos material up until that point,

Haystack posted:

Let's be honest here, it was profoundly lucky that CoC was done by who it was as early as it was. Peterson is still one of the more talented figures in the industry, and Stafford's Chaosium was the perfect place to foster him.
Call of Cthulhu is a miracle of a game in and of itself, but its timing is especially strange. AFAIK it was the first major horror RPG. Chill didn't come out until '84, so it's funny to me that the Lovecraftian RPG came out before one based more on Hammer Horror.

Of course, horror cliches have been in RPGs at least as far back as Palace of the Vampire Queen, the first published D&D adventure module. But AFAIK, the first game to combine the ethos of a dungeoncrawl with a House on Haunted Hill style haunted house...was Haunted House for the Atari 2600.

CoC also evolved quite a bit during its conception and across various editions. The original concept was a fantasy world based on The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, using a variant of Runequest. The first and second editions of CoC were also somewhat more dungeoncrawly than later editions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

CoC also evolved quite a bit during its conception and across various editions. The original concept was a fantasy world based on The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, using a variant of Runequest. The first and second editions of CoC were also somewhat more dungeoncrawly than later editions.

Honestly I think it would have been better if it had stayed that way, Lovecraft's Dream Lands stuff works better for RPG purposes than his "modern" stuff, as would some of the few glimpses into the future we see in his writings

Which reminds me that I really need to get the poster for this map one of these days;

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Now I'm imagining a CoC scenario where all you're really doing is running a converted Expedition to the Barrier Peaks or something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now I'm imagining a CoC scenario where all you're really doing is running a converted Expedition to the Barrier Peaks or something.

Honestly I've been contemplating running a game using that map I posted as the setting, while using an OSR system for the rules, and using a modified version of that adventure would probably work pretty well

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
There's always The Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man. Seems to offer some of what is being described.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Anyone have any recommendations for an online map-drawing program? I'm planning on running some online games soon and it'd work a lot better if the players had some way to collaboratively draw and edit the setting's map.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Remember the bad Pathfinder MMO that will never get finished?

How about something that's not that, but will also probably never come out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Chris Avellone again!?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Serf posted:

I mean, an isometric crpg is a lot more realistic an undertaking for this liscence and company. I can see them finishing it. Not sure if it'd be good, but it is within their means.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

I mean, an isometric crpg is a lot more realistic an undertaking for this liscence and company. I can see them finishing it. Not sure if it'd be good, but it is within their means.
An isometric Gold Box retro CRPG (using the Golarion setting and IP, maybe adapting their old Adventure Paths) is what they should have done in the first place, not launch a fantasy MMO into a market that's already an elephant's graveyard for properties with much deeper pockets and higher-profile IPs.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
i still want to know what conversation led them to deciding on an mmo first and foremost. did it start and end with "let's make an mmo!" because i find it hard to believe that no one suggested making a neverwinter nights clone when the topic of a pathfinder video game came up

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone know a good single player TCG video game? I've been kinda craving one recently.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
the pokemon trading card game for the gameboy color

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fool_of_sound posted:

Anyone know a good single player TCG video game? I've been kinda craving one recently.
Star Realms

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chris Avellone again!?

I mean, he is the human stretch goal.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Red Metal posted:

i still want to know what conversation led them to deciding on an mmo first and foremost. did it start and end with "let's make an mmo!" because i find it hard to believe that no one suggested making a neverwinter nights clone when the topic of a pathfinder video game came up

Ryan Dancey

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

fool_of_sound posted:

If you've got a mobile device, Card City Nights is surprisingly fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Red Metal posted:

I'm sure it ended that way, but it probably started with "I like playing MMOs". It's the same kind of non-logic .38 Studios used.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

oh right, i forgot

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Red Metal posted:

Ryan Dancey had a money laundering scheme he wanted to try.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chris Avellone again!?

From Wasteland 2 to Torment: Tides of Numenera to this is a straight line

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meanwhile Josh "El Niņo de la cuerda" Sawyer smirks in heaven

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Ryan Dancey had a money laundering scheme he wanted to try.

See, if it had been an actual money laundering scheme it wouldn't have flopped like it did. What he had was an embezzling scheme he wanted to try that didn't work out because there's no money in MMOs if you aren't Asian or named after a weather phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Red Metal posted:

Because Ryan Dancey, formerly a consultant at WotC and employee at CCP, declared himself "the Steve Jobs of MMOs" and monorailed that poo poo through by portraying sandbox MMOs as a Field of Dreams perpetual motion machine where users do all the hard moneymaking content for you!

Having paid close attention to Dancey's post in the days of grog.txt, that may be a flippant summary but I don't think its an inaccurate one with all the bullshit involved.

• Locked thread