Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

Did they explain why they chose another pre-TOS setting? Do they not want to touch the new timeline?

Don't have to worry about dumb things like continuity or accuracy to the settings, you know, those things the nerds want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
They probably view Voyager and DS9 as failures no one remembers. People remember TOS and TNG without ever having seen an episode which means big space-bucks for them. But at the same time they can't use the established characters from those series. There's no telling where the JJverse will stop making movies so they can't touch anything that took place during TOS or prior to TNG or they might look like fools. And Voyager/DS9 era is too far away for that to be touched anyway.

They could make a series set during any time period and have it be successful. They just need to tell the story right. But they're betting on closing the gap between Enterprise (super disaster) and TOS (the moneymaker).

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
tbh I would murder someone to see a story about the Post-Dominion War Federation. A nation that nearly lost a brutal grinding war and just wants to get back to it's roots - exploring.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I wonder why they don't just make a new series set far enough into the future (Like 100 years or whatever) relative to the end of the TV verse that they get to write all the old species' political arrangements from the ground up. That'd give them a mix of familiar, marketable stuff (Klingons! Angry homeworldless Romulans! Neo-Borg or loving whatever!) while still allowing them to not worry so much about what had come before. Plus they'd actually be able to let things look nicer without it being so loving jarring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This looks kind of dangerous. Ensign, do you sense any death happening soon? No? Ok, beam down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To be fair, the Couch Chat downers are Rhyno, X-O, and a couple others who always have bad opinions.

RUDE

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SomeMathGuy posted:

I wonder why they don't just make a new series set far enough into the future (Like 100 years or whatever) relative to the end of the TV verse that they get to write all the old species' political arrangements from the ground up. That'd give them a mix of familiar, marketable stuff (Klingons! Angry homeworldless Romulans! Neo-Borg or loving whatever!) while still allowing them to not worry so much about what had come before. Plus they'd actually be able to let things look nicer without it being so loving jarring.

Because they want to reference TOS all the time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

tbh I would murder someone to see a story about the Post-Dominion War Federation. A nation that nearly lost a brutal grinding war and just wants to get back to it's roots - exploring.

CBS is not going to cough up for a show where you need to have seen the ending of a show that concluded in the Clinton administration just to understand the premise.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Ditto this. If they actually make use of the future of the setting, they'd be putting off new viewers with a burden of continuity (or at least that's the assumption producers would make) and if they aren't going to make use of it, then why not set it in a time frame we've already seen, so they can bung in more references to other series without scaring Joe Bloggs?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
STOP! Before you watch, purchase these newly remastered Deep Space 9 blurays.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

This looks kind of dangerous. Ensign, do you sense any death happening soon? No? Ok, beam down.

Just because the guy said it doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Maybe "we can sense the coming of death" is a religious tenet of his planet, or a fringe belief, or an old folk tale that he's taking too seriously because he's weeabooing his own culture, Worf-style. Or maybe he's joking, or lying, or being metaphorical. We have exactly one out-of-context line of dialogue so far. It could go anywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Let me make my jokes, bro.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It reminded me a little of how the Centauri on Babylon 5 had a vague sense of their own deaths through their dreams.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you make a show about World War II, you don't expect anyone to have necessarily watched the one about World War I. You set it later, you reference what little you need to on occasion, and you make a new show, about different things than the last show, set in the same universe. It doesn't have to be a sequel, TNG and DS9 weren't sequels. Neither of them required you to watch TOS or even the previous show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want this to be terrible but let's be real, it probably will be INTO DARKNESS levels of bad.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

That bridge really reminds me of that episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor was living with this random guy and there was an alien Tardis in an apartment above them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lodger_(Doctor_Who)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I agree that it looks like a grittier darker JJTrek. Weird camera angles, lens flare, and all.

When will they revisit the TMP look? :reject:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

skasion posted:

Ditto this. If they actually make use of the future of the setting, they'd be putting off new viewers with a burden of continuity (or at least that's the assumption producers would make) and if they aren't going to make use of it, then why not set it in a time frame we've already seen, so they can bung in more references to other series without scaring Joe Bloggs?

Eh, that's fair. Obviously I think you could handle it without that sort of "continuity burden" (throwaway lines as red meat for fans, otherwise don't sweat it) but that hardly means a concerned marketing type would agree. I just feel like they're really limiting themselves in a way they don't have to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mogomra posted:

I agree that it looks like a grittier darker JJTrek. Weird camera angles, lens flare, and all.

When will they revisit the TMP look? :reject:

I believe you're looking for the Axanar thread.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

The youtubes been region locked too, ya greenblooded smart rear end.

I am making fun of CBS, not you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

CBS is not going to cough up for a show where you need to have seen the ending of a show that concluded in the Clinton administration just to understand the premise.

Or they could hire a writer who can communicate the simple concept of the Federation having just gotten out of a disillusioning war?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's pretty. It has some Star Trek DNA. But there is absolutely zero way I can ever consider it in canon with the Prime Universe. It's in the JJ Universe in my mind, or a whole new continuity. There is zero way I can suspend my disbelief to believe that that technology or those uniforms predate TOS and are contemporaneous with Pike. Even Enterprise wasn't this bad.

Disappointed, but not surprised.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So that loving alien dude can see into the future, but only deaths? Because of genetics? The future?

Cojawfee posted:

STOP! Before you watch, purchase these newly remastered Deep Space 9 blurays.

They're remastering ds9???

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Cautiously optimistic. Wasn't expecting much but the production values are a lot better than I was expecting. I hope they actually commit to the concept and not just kill off the captain in the first 3 episodes. Also couldn't care less about visual continuity with TOS...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Not even actual TOS adaptations look like TOS, so that horse is out of the barn. In fact, TOS 80's movies don't look like TOS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

They're remastering ds9???

Not in a million years. TNG didn't make much money and DS9 isn't anywhere near as popular. It would also cost a lot more to remaster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do think it is a mistake to set it only 10 years prior to TOS. It looks like it needs to be 30-40 minimum.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

thexerox123 posted:

Or they could hire a writer who can communicate the simple concept of the Federation having just gotten out of a disillusioning war?

They could, but why would they bother? The kind of people who would be really hyped up for a sequel to DS9 are the kind of people who are going to watch a Star Trek show anyway, just because it's Star Trek and that's something they're interested in. From the point of view of a network hack, there is no point in expending effort trying to get those viewers onside, but every point in trying to engage the interest of people who couldn't tell you what the Dominion War was with a gun to their head.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope they don't just fall into the same Traps Enterprise fell into. The problem with a prequel is that if they come across a species that were mysterious later in the timeline (like when Enterprise brought in the Ferengi) it's total bullshit. They could make new aliens, but then why aren't those aliens in the shows set later in the timeline? They could use the establish aliens, but then what is there new to explore? The show being Star Trek really limits what it can do.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

They could, but why would they bother? The kind of people who would be really hyped up for a sequel to DS9 are the kind of people who are going to watch a Star Trek show anyway, just because it's Star Trek and that's something they're interested in. From the point of view of a network hack, there is no point in expending effort trying to get those viewers onside, but every point in trying to engage the interest of people who couldn't tell you what the Dominion War was with a gun to their head.

You could say the exact same things about another TOS prequel, as well.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really, really, want to be excited for this. And we all know the cliche of fans making GBS threads on the newest incarnation of <Thing> since before TNG premiered.

I'm sure I'll download it once it's out, but so far it all looks pretty lame. Lame enough that I really don't feel it's worth more analysis than that, honestly. That makes me sad.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What's the best Star Trek fanfilm to date?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Galaxy Quest

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Not in a million years. TNG didn't make much money and DS9 isn't anywhere near as popular. It would also cost a lot more to remaster.

You son of a bitch don't raise my hopes then

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

hiddenriverninja posted:

IMO, Star Trek Continues does good work in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

WampaLord posted:

Galaxy Quest

Also yes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Galaxy quest is an official star strek movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I really, really, want to be excited for this. And we all know the cliche of fans making GBS threads on the newest incarnation of <Thing> since before TNG premiered.

I'm sure I'll download it once it's out, but so far it all looks pretty lame. Lame enough that I really don't feel it's worth more analysis than that, honestly. That makes me sad.

Yeah, this is about where I'm at too, except I'm not sure I'm in the "want to be excited for this" camp. I'm not pre-hating it, and I intend to give it an honest chance, but I'm also not subscribing to All Access for more than the minimum necessary period, to binge and then cancel, even if you guys tell me it's the second coming of DS9.

Speaking of which, trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 19 "In the Hands of the Prophets."

This time I was right when I pegged the suddenly-appearing new speaking character as the bad guy. My apologies to you again, already-forgotten Starfleet security guy who was in like 3 episodes.

What a step down from "Duet," but then I always loathe the way TNG-era Trek deals with religion. Winn is a character I don't even love to hate; I can only impatiently wait for the next scene whenever she's on screen.

I was surprised this is the last episode of the season; was there some production reason it was cut short?

Trip report: DS9 Season 2 episode 1 "The Homecoming"

I didn't buy the premise of this one at all. Let's just go invade Cardassian space in a Federation runabout! I heard the lip service of a rationale, but no one else objected except, briefly, Sisko? Kirk and co. do something similar in Search for Spock, but they at least acknowledge they're throwing away their careers. This is just cavalier, no big deal.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

You can't fool me, that's a Mass Effect screenshot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they don't just fall into the same Traps Enterprise fell into. The problem with a prequel is that if they come across a species that were mysterious later in the timeline (like when Enterprise brought in the Ferengi) it's total bullshit. They could make new aliens, but then why aren't those aliens in the shows set later in the timeline? They could use the establish aliens, but then what is there new to explore? The show being Star Trek really limits what it can do.

There are a lot of one-off alien assholes they could use.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, it's not a hard concept to convey but I realize CBS is utterly terrified of moving the timeline forward for gently caress knows what reason. We'll probably never see something that cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

I also wanted to post this earlier, but the Photo Torpedo effect of the ball with the beams of like shooting over every whichway, my favorite Sci-fi effect ever.

drat right. It looks exactly like what it is, a spiky, angry, incandescent ball of "gently caress you and the warp core you rode in on".