Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Because Ryan Dancey, formerly a consultant at WotC and employee at CCP, declared himself "the Steve Jobs of MMOs" and monorailed that poo poo through by portraying sandbox MMOs as a Field of Dreams perpetual motion machine where users do all the hard moneymaking content for you!
Well, he was partially right in that case, since the PFO fans were practically tripping over themselves to start horse-boarding services or setting up their own taverns or forts or whatever.

I mean, I imagine that after all this time there are still people throwing money at whatever remains of PFO because they "believe in the dream".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, he was partially right in that case, since the PFO fans were practically tripping over themselves to start horse-boarding services or setting up their own taverns or forts or whatever.

I mean, I imagine that after all this time there are still people throwing money at whatever remains of PFO because they "believe in the dream".

The problem is he overestimated both the number and the buy-in level of the 'whales', and the regular subscriber base wasn't going to stick around for babby's first tech demo just because it said Pathfinder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

From Wasteland 2 to Torment: Tides of Numenera to this is a straight line

Based on sales of Torment and Tyranny it also will be a failure.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One should never expect there to be enough table top fans around to sell a video game, especially when that game is pretty much the anthropomorphic personification of a split fanbase.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kwyndig posted:

See, if it had been an actual money laundering scheme it wouldn't have flopped like it did. What he had was an embezzling scheme he wanted to try that didn't work out because there's no money in MMOs if you aren't Asian or named after a weather phenomenon.
Ion Storm Studios is releasing a MMO???

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

Tyranny didn't deserve to flop.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

The problem is he overestimated both the number and the buy-in level of the 'whales', and the regular subscriber base wasn't going to stick around for babby's first tech demo just because it said Pathfinder.
Hell, the reason the original kickstarter did so well wasn't because people were interested in the MMO tech demo, it was because they were offering a ton of new Pathfinder books as rewards at the $20-ish level.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fool_of_sound posted:

Anyone know a good single player TCG video game? I've been kinda craving one recently.

Shadowverse is free and has a short story mode for each of the classes in the game. It's probably not an extensive enough story for you want, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about a snowball. What they have is more like a ball of string.

Also you can get some MMO fans to literally buy into anything no matter how shady it is. I don't know why that is, but it keeps coming true.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If they were smart they would have done a Pathfinder MOBA or a Gacha game with microtransactions

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alternate Reality Ryan Dancey: So uhhh here's the new Premium skin for the Goblin Rogue hero. He is now wearing a pair of Timbs, a Supreme hat and his eyes glow with lofi beats. This is gonna be on the Premium shop for a meagre 2500 Pathfinder Coins (25 dollars).

The kind of human who still is into Pathfinder who is also the same people who play MOBAs: I'll take a thousand.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Flavivirus posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for an online map-drawing program? I'm planning on running some online games soon and it'd work a lot better if the players had some way to collaboratively draw and edit the setting's map.

RPG Maker VX Ace with the Mapshot script is the best option for Roll20 I've found.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FMguru posted:

Star Realms

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm having a lot of fun with this, though Yellow feels pretty overpowered so far.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fool_of_sound posted:

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm having a lot of fun with this, though Yellow feels pretty overpowered so far.
The tabletop version is a lot of fun, too, as is the fantasy-themed derivative game (Hero Realms).

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Kwyndig posted:

It's not even all the rules you need to fire a shotgun, they left out the rate of fire rules.

Rate of fire rules are mentioned in that picture that was posted.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DocBubonic posted:

Rate of fire rules are mentioned in that picture that was posted.

But not included, you still have to go look them up, which I find the most egregious part of that image, they included everything but the part you're going to be referencing most often.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had an idea for an ultralight Cthulhu game, which I'm calling Quicthulhu ("Quick-thoo-loo") since as far as I can tell nobody's used that before.

You have two stats, Mythos and Humanity. These total to 10. I think you start with 1 Mythos and 9 Humanity, but I also think you should be able to adjust by a few points if you like. You use Humanity to do everyday human stuff (searching, talking, fighting, driving) and Mythos to do freaky supernatural stuff (casting spells, understanding a sorcerer's diary, knowing what a monster is).

To do anything, roll 1d10 under the relevant stat.

When you find yourself in a freaky Mythos situation- encountering a monster, reading a tome, generally gaining an understanding of the real nature of the cosmos and our lack of a place or meaning in it- roll under Humanity or else move one point of your Humanity over to your Mythos. Freaky situations should be rated 2-9 and if your Mythos is already above the rating of the situation you're in, you don't have to roll (but you can if you want, explained as trying to use your existing Mythos knowledge to extrapolate new knowledge and the associated corruption from the situation). You should roleplay a higher Mythos as having affected your ability to sympathize/identify with normal, healthy human affairs or perspectives, and if your Mythos hits 10, you've been completely corrupted and are no longer playable and should make a new dude.

When you need to make a roll in a fight, roll under Humanity or Mythos based on how you're fighting (punching a dude or dodging a zombie's punch is Humanity, resisting a psychic command to kill your friends or wielding a Mi-Go weapon are Mythos) and lose a temporary Humanity or Mythos (your choice) if you fail. If you run out of either you're down or dead at the GM's discretion. Lost points return at the GM's discretion but should be fully refreshed within a couple of scenes unless the GM's running some kind of increasingly desperate attrition scenario.

That's what I've got for now.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

fool_of_sound posted:

I play quite a bit of Star Realms and I like that everything but red feels super OP when you start building for them. Green hits like a ton of falling bricks, yellow draws cards and can make the opponent discard, and you can heal so much with blue that even green can't keep up. You just need a little splash of red to get the crappy cards out of your deck and you're golden.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

FMguru posted:

The tabletop version is a lot of fun, too, as is the fantasy-themed derivative game (Hero Realms).

I'd advocate for Puzzle Strike! and Paperback as deck builders before going to Star Realms tbh. Paperback is close in price point even.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lfmao

quote:

I’m a Paizo fan, and a Pathfinder fan. I like the setting, the art style, the adventure paths, the card game, and the iconic characters. I’ve enjoyed playing Pathfinder with my friends (we used to be part of an Ocean’s-11 style game), and I’ve enjoyed the comics, the world, and the overall setting," said Chris Avellone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not begrudge Chris Avellone saying what is necessary to pay the bills with yet another mediocre game in a genre that never worked right.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

senrath posted:

I mean, he is the human stretch goal.

Barudak posted:

I do not begrudge Chris Avellone saying what is necessary to pay the bills with yet another mediocre game in a genre that never worked right.

If it's anything like previous kickstarters, there's only about a 50/50 chance he'll actually do the work he's hired to do, anyways.

Dec 26, 2012

Bills ain't gonna pay themselves.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I had an idea for an ultralight Cthulhu game, which I'm calling Quicthulhu ("Quick-thoo-loo") since as far as I can tell nobody's used that before.

You may be interested in Sanity & Sorcery, which was the result of the chat thread hacking Lasers and Feelings for Cthulhu back in October.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DigitalRaven posted:

You may be interested in Sanity & Sorcery, which was the result of the chat thread hacking Lasers and Feelings for Cthulhu back in October.

Thank you!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Good thread title

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Barudak posted:

Torment flopped?

I backed it, got it, and haven't played it yet, but I hadn't heard how it was doing otherwise.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's done well enough that they're still actively releasing improvements and new content so I very much doubt it flopped.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Torment flopped?

I backed it, got it, and haven't played it yet, but I hadn't heard how it was doing otherwise.

It didn't flop. They are still supporting it so it must have sold decent. I picked up a copy and felt it was what was advertised: an isometric RPG in the style of Planescape torment. I feel they fixed a lot of problems with Numenera's system by making health a stat onto itself. The choice for turnbased combat really fixed the problem with Planescape's combat. That said, a lot of the genre is kind of clunky and out-dated and not enough, arguably, was done to modernize it, likely by design as it was a nostalgia product.

Overall, I was pleased, but left feeling it could be better.

Similar to how I felt about Lookya-Laylee. Though, it does have one-up on Looka-Laylee: Atleast, to my memory, the devs of Numenera didn't spend hours in online videos calling all big game publishers uninspired hacks who just recycled their old content in low effort games before making a game that is a recycling of their greatest hits from 10 years ago.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ProfessorCirno posted:

If it's anything like previous kickstarters, there's only about a 50/50 chance he'll actually do the work he's hired to do, anyways.

What work did he not do?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Torment flopped?

Flop is a strong word for Torment, it did about 100k in sales which with kickstarter money means it probably did ok, but Tyranny by Paradoxs admission was a real underperfomer.

Torment also has a negative side effect of reading like a knock off of a better book, and mechanically its not really very good at all, partially because even with fixes Numenara is a stupid combat system and partially because random design decisions of varying impact abound unmarked.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it turns out wasteland 2 and pillars didn't revive a genre, they just reminded us why everyone was okay with the genre's death in the first place

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cease to Hope posted:

it turns out wasteland 2 and pillars didn't revive a genre, they just reminded us why everyone was okay with the genre's death in the first place

Can I be the first to say Looka-Laylee did the same for me and collect-a-thon 3-D platformers?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. I thought Wasteland 2 was really bad on release?

2. It's the Gold Box games, or Temple of Elemental Evil, that need a remake.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The chain he drew was clasped about his middle. It was long, and wound about him like a tail; and it was made (for Chris observed it closely) of menus, levels, exposition, dungeons, character build guides, and laden adventure logs brimming with fetch quests.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Can I be the first to say Looka-Laylee did the same for me and collect-a-thon 3-D platformers?
Yooka-Laylee. It's a pun. Because it's a followup to Banjo-Kazooie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's funny you say that because didn't they make a Pool of Radiance sequel with a bug that would totally gently caress up your hard drive?

I certainly want to play improved remakes of the Gold Box series. But not Hillsfar; that can't be saved.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasteland 2 in my opinion is still bad, but yes, it was terrible on release.

An actual Gold Box style game (long on text, 1st person dungeon crawling transitions to 3rd person isometric turn based combat) would have a niche audience.

That's the problem that people keep having, you can play those old games on GoG now, so there's no reason to drop $60 on a new game where the designers didn't learn anything from the past 30 years of game development, or if they did they learned the wrong things. To do a game like that AAA or even AA style would bankrupt a studio, so what you get is a game that's only slightly better than their predecessors, if that, and there's just no interest in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

Yooka-Laylee. It's a pun. Because it's a followup to Banjo-Kazooie.

...I know? It wasn't that much of a secret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You keep writing it with an L.

• Locked thread