Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dirty posted:

Well, per hour of footage, Star Wars had 25x the budget plus ten years of technology advances over TOS. The design and sets of Star Wars don't look anything like as dated as Star Trek's.

Don't choke on your aspirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just watched the trailer. Is there some subtle color-coding on the uniforms that I missed, or are they all the same? I was pretty disappointed with the uniforms in general

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

cheetah7071 posted:

Just watched the trailer. Is there some subtle color-coding on the uniforms that I missed, or are they all the same? I was pretty disappointed with the uniforms in general

Divisions seem to be indicated by the border trim, Gold, Silver, and Copper

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, I kinda get the vibe that this is going to be some kind of dark action show and that's not really Trek. Star Trek has this feeling of adventure and wonder that isn't here. This looks more like a Hollywood movie.

Judging from the trailer it kind of looks like the lead character wants to preemptively start a war with the Klingons which is a super un-Star Trek thing to do.

Either it's meant to be her fatal flaw that she grows through as her arc (she thinks shoot first is the right call, but later learns to be more Starfleet after, say, getting her crew killed) or it's out of context and it's meant as a "They're Klingons, we have to shoot or they'll think we're wusses and won't talk!"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I personally don't get the idea of going several decades into the future from the TNG era.

The tech at the end of Voyager/Nemesis was already borderline magic anyway.
Leapfrog that into the future and you start getting to a point where people and space travel just wouldn't be recognizable to us any more.

Star Trek, at its very core, is all about exploring the human condition. That means characters should be relatable to the audience.
When you start to get to the point where Starfleet has basically explored everything, can just replicate starships or transport people between star systems then where are you going to find your drama? Particularly without just recycling TNG plots.

If I had my way I'd rather have a show that takes place between Star Trek 6 and TNG because there's a whole lot of open territory to cover, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with what Discovery's doing.

A lot of the grousing just seems to be the same sort of poo poo we hear any time any new Star Trek comes around and people just want their old Star Trek in perpetuity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why can't we just loving get the adventures of Captain Sulu and the crew of the USS Excelsior as they catalog goddamn gasious anomalies?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm just gonna leave this here:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

we desperately need a good show about "boldly going where no man has gone before"— the very last thing our society needs is a show about : "we went beyond our borders and immediately ran into dangerous scary brown people that we must now go to war with."

agreed; maybe after the pilot it'll veer into thoughtful narratives but the trailer is very misaligned with what i hoped the production team was making.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

One thing I'm really excited about from the trailer is that the cast represents a broad swath of humanity. Trek has, from its very inception, been about the fact that we're going to get beyond our petty issues here on Earth and go explore out there. TOS was famous for its inclusion and the later serious have sort of shied away from that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

PostNouveau posted:

Right, because his race has a superpower. From eugenics. Because you can breed for that.

I mean, the unrealistic part is that he has a superpower at all, not that he got it from breeding.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

IMO Star Trek has more than run its course and should end. If they don't want to make it science fiction for a modern generation fine, just end it. This generation right now desperately needs positive visions of the future. I mean that. I think an image of a better future is missing from our politics and culture right now. The imagined future is a bleak one and that rebounds on how we live.

But endlessly rehashing an image of the future of the 1960s is pointless. It's a nostalgia exercise. Either make a star trek that speaks to modern ideas of the future or wrap it up.

I don't disagree, so why make it a show set in what should be Space 1950s, a prequel to Space 1960s?a

vermin posted:

I haven't heard of a human being raised as a Vulcan before. It offers a new take on an old perspective. Maybe instead of teaching the audience how great it is to be an impulsive gungho human they'll attempt teaching Vulcan temperance and cool-headedness.

Great, so now in addition to Sybok and Spocko, Spock will have another previously unknown sibling. :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, I kinda get the vibe that this is going to be some kind of dark action show and that's not really Trek. Star Trek has this feeling of adventure and wonder that isn't here.

So... not a DS9 fan, then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now THAT'S a star trek!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thexerox123 posted:

So... not a DS9 fan, then?
DS9 did its share of exploration, it was just more in depth than in broad strokes. Fewer planets of the week.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

DS9 did its share of exploration, it was just more in depth than in broad strokes. Fewer planets of the week.

Did it do it with a sense of wonder and adventure?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Did it do it with a sense of wonder and adventure?

As in I wondered why anyone was supposed to care about the bajorans, yes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

macnbc posted:

I personally don't get the idea of going several decades into the future from the TNG era.

Leapfrog that into the future and you start getting to a point where people and space travel just wouldn't be recognizable to us any more.

Star Trek, at its very core, is all about exploring the human condition. That means characters should be relatable to the audience.
When you start to get to the point where Starfleet has basically explored everything, can just replicate starships or transport people between star systems then where are you going to find your drama? Particularly without just recycling TNG plots.

If I had my way I'd rather have a show that takes place between Star Trek 6 and TNG because there's a whole lot of open territory to cover, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with what Discovery's doing.

A lot of the grousing just seems to be the same sort of poo poo we hear any time any new Star Trek comes around and people just want their old Star Trek in perpetuity.

The technology was always borderline magic?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They can't set a new show after DS9/VOY because the last canon event we know happens in that timeline is the destruction of Romulus, which was established in the films.

Oh, and the new uniforms are pretty clearly inspired by (though legally distinct from) the USS Kelvin uniforms from ST '09, which makes sense since they're set in pretty similar times.

Honestly, the negativity in this thread is just baffling to me. Pretty much all we can tell from these trailer is the look of the show, and from that it seems clear that we're going to have the best-looking Trek series ever. People pining over The Orville are a loving joke. "It can't be real Star Trek if it's not flatly lit and beige!"

I'm super pumped, from what we've seen, this looks great. God knows what the whiners actually want from a new Star Trek show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Comrade Fakename posted:

They can't set a new show after DS9/VOY because the last canon event we know happens in that timeline is the destruction of Romulus, which was established in the films.

If someone is developing a TV show and can't work with this point, then they don't deserve to be working in television development.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Here's another winner of a concept that's post VOY/DS9. A show set directly after the destruction of Romulus. We're talking within the first day or so after the disaster, as it first hits Federation ears. Show the Federation trying to extend aid and the political consequences.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Man really weird that they set it in a time period considered classic and further popularized by the ongoing movie series rather than following on from a series and movie from 16 years ago that were so awful they basically put the entire franchise into hiatus

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

macnbc posted:

At some point in Trek's future you're making a prequel to The Culture. And Iain Banks managed to say a lot about the human condition in a magitech future utopia, admittedly by writing about misfits and outsiders.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's already arguable you're writing mostly about misfits and outsiders. The average Federation citizen lives in paradise, and yet some of them want to go out and settle new worlds or gods forbid serve on a starship? What is wrong with these people?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watched When the Bough Breaks. Not much to say about the ozone layer allegory but it had a hell of a villain. I don't usually get mad at fictional characters but the smug, unrepentant, nearly omnipotent child-abductor had me hoping Picard would bring back all of Starfleet to glass the planet. I guess that's why it's a good thing I'm not a Starfleet officer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

socialsecurity posted:

The technology was always borderline magic?
I think the issue was more that it would be stupid as poo poo to not have the Emergency Security Holograms flanking every actual Starfleet crew member, and also that Voyager's transwarp poo poo made the galaxy a much smaller place.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think the issue was more that it would be stupid as poo poo to not have the Emergency Security Holograms flanking every actual Starfleet crew member, and also that Voyager's transwarp poo poo made the galaxy a much smaller place.

There are plenty of galaxies...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

There are plenty of galaxies...

I used to think this'd be a cool direction to go too but wow has Mass Effect Andromeda ever closed the monkey's paw on that wish.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I used to think this'd be a cool direction to go too but wow has Mass Effect Andromeda ever closed the monkey's paw on that wish.

It has just as much potential as anything if exploration is a part of the show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's already arguable you're writing mostly about misfits and outsiders. The average Federation citizen lives in paradise, and yet some of them want to go out and settle new worlds or gods forbid serve on a starship? What is wrong with these people?

Misfits, wanderers, dreamers... That's either part of the B5 intro or half of an Apple commercial.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star Trek: Atlantis
Star Trek: Universe

Star Trek: But In One Of Those Other Parallel Universes and like there's a Wormhole or Some poo poo But We're Exploring and Not On A Station Outside It So It Isn't a Carbon Copy of DS9 (Unless You Want Us To Be)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh, and the new uniforms are pretty clearly inspired by (though legally distinct from) the USS Kelvin uniforms from ST '09, which makes sense since they're set in pretty similar times.

Honestly, the negativity in this thread is just baffling to me. Pretty much all we can tell from these trailer is the look of the show, and from that it seems clear that we're going to have the best-looking Trek series ever. People pining over The Orville are a loving joke. "It can't be real Star Trek if it's not flatly lit and beige!"

I'm super pumped, from what we've seen, this looks great. God knows what the whiners actually want from a new Star Trek show.

Nah, it looks like a budget video game tie in from 2009.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm kind of surprised by the negative reaction everywhere too (even the guys at work thought the trailer looked lame), but at least it's nice to know that it came off just as lifelessly to "normal" people and not just me and the other geeks.

Honestly, "this will be the best looking Star Trek ever!" is just as stupid as the people automatically certain it'll be completely unwatchable. I would love to live in a world where tired poo poo like that trailer is genuinely impressive.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Spoeank posted:

If someone is developing a TV show and can't work with this point, then they don't deserve to be working in television development.

I'm saying they can't legally work with that. It's not a creativity issue.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm kind of surprised by the negative reaction everywhere too (even the guys at work thought the trailer looked lame), but at least it's nice to know that it came off just as lifelessly to "normal" people and not just me and the other geeks.

Honestly, "this will be the best looking Star Trek ever!" is just as stupid as the people automatically certain it'll be completely unwatchable. I would love to live in a world where tired poo poo like that trailer is genuinely impressive.

"The trailer looks like an uninspired sci fi video game" and "the trailer has the best looking Star Trek ever" are, unfortunately, not contradictory.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.
If they were to do a Next Next Generation, I'd be fine with them completely ignoring the destruction of Romulus, Voyager's eight different transwarp technologies, the holographic rights revolution, etc. It's not like Star Trek writers ever build on, or even remember, half the paradigm-shattering stuff they come up with.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm saying they can't legally work with that. It's not a creativity issue.

Throwaway line about Romulus 2.0 and turn the Romulan survivors into Space Pirates if it's a Tom Paris/Nick Locarno situation, which I'm fairly certain this isn't.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I would bet that JJ Trek doesn't legally end the regular, normal, non-lens flare trek timeline

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Or just ignore the dumb JJ timeline and do their own thing. "In this timeline, Spocko inverted the plasmodyne couplers and Romulus never blew up."

Subyng
May 4, 2013
New Klingons look cool as heck

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Cojawfee posted:

Or just ignore the dumb JJ timeline and do their own thing. "In this timeline, Spocko inverted the plasmodyne couplers and Romulus never blew up."
Ey ya coulda avoided that kind of explosion if ya just checked the red matter containment unit or somethin. NOW THAT'S A STAR TREK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Every time someone starts talking about wanting more material exploring the rich ramifications of post-Romulus or post-Dominion War cosmopolitical developments, I very uncharitably think "why, yes, I do think the next Trek series needs to be Tom Clancy, In Space!"