Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

so my vita's memory card died and the only thing i have a physical cart for is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbV0K3K9ROk

so i think ive made mistakes in my life

Don't you need a memory card to save in physical games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I was a billionaire I would give half my money to charity and the other half to sega to fund a new console

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Ok well I still stand by my art direction statement because clearly this looks fine but Crash looks like a nightmare about puberty I had when I was 11.

I know and agree, it was just a funny choice of examples since that image already exists. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why does mario have a black moustache and brown hair

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

nintendo's really just following a sega arc 15 years behind aren't they

Nah Nintendo still makes good games.

corn in the bible posted:

why does mario have a black moustache and brown hair

He dyes the mustache to adhere to beauty standards in his culture.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Last Celebration posted:

From a day ago, but is it the 0% fat kind, because that's seriously vile.

Nah it was today and yes its 0% and finishing it was the greatest battle of my life

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

It's Mario time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Don't you need a memory card to save in physical games?

it does have internal memory but not enough for a game really

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sunning posted:

New School Nintendo (Splatoon, ARMS) feels like Old School SEGA (Jet Set Radio, Virtual On).

ah yes, those good old school sega titles that kept their company afloat as a hardware developer

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Nah it was today and yes its 0% and finishing it was the greatest battle of my life

Yeah, get a 4 oz thing of the 2% and try that, 0% is kinda gross because no fat means no taste so it's just thick yogurt-flavored chalky paste. Normal Greek yogurt is basically healthy sour cream.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, get a 4 oz thing of the 2% and try that, 0% is kinda gross because no fat means no taste so it's just thick yogurt-flavored chalky paste. Normal Greek yogurt is basically healthy sour cream.

:hellyeah: Always go with 2% A little bit of fat is not bad for you! (within reason)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dietary fat is not bad for you!

Transfats are bad for you. I think.

Fat is calorie-dense, so more fat often means more calories, but fat as a source of calories is generally better for you than say, refined sugar or hfcs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saturated and trans fats are likely to spike your LDL levels, I think, which increases your risk of arteriosclerosis

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey! So! A cool friend of mine made this streamlined version of chess on his own in his spare time, etc. It's called REX and it's on Gamejolt for $10.

http://gamejolt.com/games/rex/210076

He made the whole thing and programmed rudimentary AI and then had it up for free on there for testing and a NASA AI programmer/chess AI programmer (Marty Hirsch, https://www.wikiwand.com/en/MChess_Pro ) found it and got in touch with him and was like "Dude, let me help you with the AI" so he worked on it and retooled it basically for free because he wanted to. Anyway, if anyone's interested, it's a cool little indie-as-they-get game.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5RGIh_9t4

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That is supercool.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah Nintendo still makes good games.

Doesn't Sega make the Yakuza games that everyone loves? They also published Total Warhammer which was really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm talking about 15 years ago Sega.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I don't think the world is ready for Crazy Taxi Uber

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this zelda fangame is good http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=618

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 19, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So, which should I get, Prey or Injustice 2? Fan of both fighting games and RPG shooters.

bloodychill posted:

That is supercool.

Doesn't Sega make the Yakuza games that everyone loves? They also published Total Warhammer which was really good.

They also made Persona 5, so anyone saying they don't make great games can get fuuuuucked.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bloodychill posted:

That is supercool.

i looked up their wiki page a month ago and their games had whittled down to like 3 a year, yakuza, miku, and sonic. which is probably why they're now talking about reviving IPs so that they actually have... games

e: lol they didn't make persona 5 they own atlus that's not really the same

like there was a trailer for this pinball metroidvania game for Switch that's "by Team17" and people went "whoa something other than Worms" and it's like, yeah, Team 17 publishes a ton of games they don't make. they published yooka-laylee for example and overcooked

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 19, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

i looked up their wiki page a month ago and their games had whittled down to like 3 a year, yakuza, miku, and sonic. which is probably why they're now talking about reviving IPs so that they actually have... games

e: lol they didn't make persona 5 they own atlus that's not really the same

How exactly? Sega is not a person, its a collection of employees. Atlus is some of those employees.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deak

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder how many people who play games can distinguish between publishing and developing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

disney owns pixar but inside out is a pixar movie not a "disney movie" cmon

nintendo didn't make wonderful 101, sony didn't make infamous, microsoft didn't make sunset overdrive

doublefine didn't make gang beasts or THOTH or escape goat 2 which is why it's always important to point out whether a game is MADE by doublefine or PUBLISHED by doublefine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nintendo didn't make wonderful 101, sony didn't make infamous, microsoft didn't make sunset overdrive

doublefine didn't make gang beasts or THOTH or escape goat 2 which is why it's always important to point out whether a game is MADE by doublefine or PUBLISHED by doublefine

Disney has made Pixar movies though since 2001 so that's a bad example

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

doublefine didn't make gang beasts which is why it's always important to point out whether a game is MADE by doublefine or PUBLISHED by doublefine

Nintendo don't own Platinum, Microsoft don't own Insomniac. Sony DO own Sucker Punch, so yes, Sony did make Infamous. It doesn't matter that Sucker Punch isn't called "Sony Studios Bellevue".

Thats the distinction here, does the publisher legally own the studio. Disney own Pixar, Sony own Sucker Punch, and Sega own Atlus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's a good example because Pixar Animation and Walt Disney Animation are separate studios, separate lots, separate crews, separate everything

yall gonna make me lose my mind

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also in the 2 decades prior, and that like all of Pixar was just Disney employees who left the company and then were immediately bought by Disney

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The distinction of "ownership" is merely who controls the means of production. Assigning value to that is the core shell game and illusion of capitalist thought.

When it comes to the quality of games and their actual characteristics you have to look at who is actually putting the work into the product, whether or not they are independent or the people who give them money changes does not actually mean that much

it's a good example because Pixar Animation and Walt Disney Animation are separate studios, separate lots, separate crews, separate everything

:yeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Also in the 2 decades prior, and that like all of Pixar was just Disney employees who left the company and then were immediately bought by Disney
nah in the beginning pixar was part of lucasfilm, the actual founders before lasseter had no disney time. they did come up with the CAPS system and licensed it to disney which got used in stuff like I believe Oliver & Company and the Lion King used it too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually I was wrong, since 1994 Disney has had creative control of Pixar films. So, the entire time they produced features. For some reason I thought like toy story 1 was separate but I guess there's no way a film like that could have existed without Disney money

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Walt Disney Animation is not the sole owner of every single function of Disney the company. You may as well say that the Beauty and the Beast remake or Disneyland Tokyo aren't from Disney, because hey, the animation studio didn't have anything to do with either of them.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The distinction of "ownership" is merely who controls the means of production. Assigning value to that is the core shell game and illusion of capitalist thought.

When it comes to the quality of games and their actual characteristics you have to look at who is actually putting the work into the product, whether or not they are independent or the people who give them money changes does not actually mean that much

If you're arguing that then you can't even claim its down to studios like Atlus, you'd need to refer to the actual designers, programmers and writers. Atlus also isn't a person any more than Sega is, its just a corporation that exploits the people it pays and sells off the fruits of their labors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theres no ethical consumption under capitalism

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

me from whenever it came out: did you guys hear Lemonade from beyonce??

deak: excuse me it's actually Columbia Records' Lemonade

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

:siren:Hot take incoming:siren:

I think picking something like that as your fursona is just a symptom of the underlying problem, where representing yourself as an animal is no longer enough to make you suitably special. Furries have become too commonplace, there is now a whole pantheon of otherkin dopes who find it very important that everyone know that they identify as a fallen unicorn or a wood fairy or pallet of colors. Being a glass dog means primarily that this person either already owned a glass statue of a dog or saw one and thought it was too cool to ignore, and has a secondary property of letting the person be more unique (better) than other vanilla furries. The man who says "I am a glass dog" finds no equal among the regular hounds and wolves but looks down upon them as if he was further along some expanding mind graph.

Furry culture is the act of legitimizing pretend play as a way to invent qualities for yourself instead of actually developing qualities. I disagree when you say that fursonas are chosen because they represent the furry; fursonas are chose to project qualities, not magnify them. Someone would pick a fox so that other people can immediately know that the person is clever or quick, regardless of the individual's actual qualities. It all boils down to wanting to be special but finding the solution in embracing the imagination instead of the corporeal, and yes I do think all furries are annoying sadbrains thank you for asking.

I'd think that he was just trying to be special and stand out after furries have become more commonplace but nah I remember him talking about how he was a furry and that's been his fursona since the 70s and that back then they weren't called furries, they were called skunkfuckers.

So I guess he might've been trying to make himself stand out regardless, or he may very well just feel like an animate statue of a dog is a good representation of him :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Walt Disney Animation is not the sole owner of every single function of Disney the company. You may as well say that the Beauty and the Beast remake or Disneyland Tokyo aren't from Disney, because hey, the animation studio didn't have anything to do with either of them.

If you're arguing that then you can't even claim its down to studios like Atlus, you'd need to refer to the actual designers, programmers and writers. Atlus also isn't a person any more than Sega is, its just a corporation that exploits the people it pays and sells off the fruits of their labors.

Of course, I agree with that. However, it is better to be more precise than less when you are attributing causes and effects. There is a strong causal relationship between Katsura Hashino, Naoya Maeda and their teams when it comes to what is in Persona 5. There is a weaker causal relationship between "Atlus" as an entity and Persona 5. There is an even weaker relationship between "Sega" as an entity and what is in Persona 5.

In your Disney example, that is merely a slippage and vagueness of terms because people interchange "Disney", the major multinational media conglomerate, with "Walt Disney Studios", the film distribution entity that most strongly provides it with brand power

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

zootopia is my favorite marvel movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Disney's Spiderman

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Disney's Spiderman

You mean Jon Watt's Spider-Man?

Also, is anyone gonna answer my loving question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fawcett Comics presents Bugs Bunny.

• Locked thread