Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What's wrong with a 2 piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's wrong with a 2 piece?

Nothing! Just disagreeing with the statement that a good collapsible is >$100.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gamera009 posted:

I'd actually disagree. I picked up one of these off amazon on a lark and it's now my go-to, cheap-rear end (but solid) collapsable rod for trout and bass fishing. It's held up for three seasons in all weather, and I have more difficulty with respelling line than the rod. It's cheap enough that buying a couple isn't bad, and I like using it as part of a packable ultralight for small/largemouth and trout.

I have never tried that one, but of the three cheap ones I tried, all were almost useless for anything that required a good hookset or any kind of bite detection. They were all worse than an Ugly Stick, which is my benchmark for "acceptable fishing rod". In any case a 2-part or even a 4-5 part is going to be better than a telescoping one at any price point.

Went out for my first wading trip of the year. I got a hand full of smallies around this size;

This was the best of them, he jumped, shook the lure, then hit it again as soon as it hit the water.

I forgot how much I love these dumb fish. So much more fun than largemouths. I also got some nice big Redbreasts and a single rainbow trout. All were caught on the Ned.

I also saw something crazy;

This pool was just full of these really large fish I was no able to ID. They were silver/gray in color and the larger ones were a solid 15-16" long, with most around 12". They were full bodied, almost like a white perch. There were like a hundred of them in this little pool. They showed no interest in my lures and would run from them. They had a very sharp V tailfin. I thought they were some kind of sucker or carp at first, but also maybe they could be shad that somehow made it up this far inland?

More excitingly, I saw three or four nice large snakeheads in the same pool. They would surface to breathe and I could get a good look at them. This spot is right off of a trail in a build up area, no idea how they are still there. I only had my Ned rig stuff with me and they were not interested at all. I have to be better about bringing a few small hard baits along even if I am 99% sure I will never use them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Snakeheads are bad. Kill them without mercy.

Could be grass carp? They ignore everything.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Snakeheads are bad. Kill them without mercy.

Could be grass carp? They ignore everything.

No way man, snakeheads are an excellent game fish and apparently quite delicious.

The local fishing forum seems to think that they are shad that made it unusually far upstream. Apparently this was a very good year for them so it might be possible, and we had a prolonged period of heavy rain over the last month that swelled a lot of the local rivers, so they could've quite easily swim up this far and got stuck.

Although Maryland has had a closed season for them for the entire time I've been fishing, you're still allowed to catch and release so I might get some shed darts and try to catch one for positive ID.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Snakeheads are extremely invasive and also tasty, literally catch and eat all of them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thus far, at least in the tidal Potomac River, I have yet to read about any impact that a have had on the fishery. Hell, even our beloved bass were only introduced in like iirc the 1880's. If people wanna kill some fish the blue cats do damage and grow into 50lb monsters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

bongwizzard posted:

Thus far, at least in the tidal Potomac River, I have yet to read about any impact that a have had on the fishery. Hell, even our beloved bass were only introduced in like iirc the 1880's. If people wanna kill some fish the blue cats do damage and grow into 50lb monsters.

They can outcompete a bunch of other nice fish and literally every Fish and Wildlife mention of them says to kill them upon capture. The other issue is that they are hardy as gently caress and their are concerns they could spread throughout the entire US if measures are not taken.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 20, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you're interested in decimating invasive fish, you should kill and eat as much lionfish as you can if you're on vacation in the Caribbean. There was a restaurant in Belize I would frequent who would buy lionfish off a volunteer group who did reef studies and would catch every lionfish they encountered. Super tasty, too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

If you're interested in decimating invasive fish, you should kill and eat as much lionfish as you can if you're on vacation in the Caribbean. There was a restaurant in Belize I would frequent who would buy lionfish off a volunteer group who did reef studies and would catch every lionfish they encountered. Super tasty, too.

Do you remember what restaurant? I do fieldwork in Belize and would love to check it out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

They are literally the goons of fish (except for the rapidly reproducing part). The US population is actually kinda unhealthy due to them being so successful they get morbidly obese.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

They can outcompete a bunch of other nice fish and literally every Fish and Wildlife mention of them says to kill them upon capture. The other issue is that they are hardy as gently caress and their are concerns they could spread throughout the entire US if measures are not taken.

Sure, they all say to kill them, but nothing I have read about them from the MD DNR shows any actual observed harm or damage. If they are as bad as people say, where is the data?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sigh. They really don't need a lot of data to show that an invasive piscovor with no native predator of its own is bad news for an environment.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, they all say to kill them, but nothing I have read about them from the MD DNR shows any actual observed harm or damage. If they are as bad as people say, where is the data?

Is a NOAA brief good enough?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Sigh. They really don't need a lot of data to show that an invasive piscovor with no native predator of its own is bad news for an environment.

But like that exactly describes largemouth and smallmouth bass?

That link isnt about snakeheads?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

That link isnt about snakeheads?

Thought you guys were discussing lion fish!

Here's an old USGS (ca 2004) report that provides risk assessment.

Everything I've found combing through literature (a lot appears centered around the Chesapeake Bay area) indicates that the initial efforts to control spread of snakeheads has also limited research regarding ecological impact. That makes sense to me, since limited populations make it more difficult to assess a broader impact on the overarching biology of the environment. Everything does indicate that populations of prey fish and some predators (they mention bass and eel) have dropped, but that's not necessarily an indictment of the snakeheads as a menace for the time being. It doesn't mean people should let them go and allow the invasive species to go crazy, but there's already an economic impact with respect to having to keep trying to eradicate them and maintain a vigilant barrier to spreading throughout the US.

If you have access to it, the best indicator of what will most likely happen if snakehead become well-established in the US is probably this opinion piece in TEE. It basically boils down to freshwater ecosystems are at higher risk compared to other environs that may have invasive predators introduced due to less stratification of predator and prey in the environment. Introduction of a predatory species into a naive environment would mean that they would be able to effectively outcompete pretty much anything that normally keeps all other naive species in check/balance.

If you look at the already significant impact from lion fish on reefs they've invaded, it makes sense that snakeheads (if allowed to take root) would have an equivalent, if not more significant, ecological impact.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looking forward to the new annual 2040 Snakehead invitational roundup.

Look being a contrarian obtuse person is easy. Doesn't make your argument convincing or right.

The bass and trout population is already established with a huge economy based on it.

https://www.usgs.gov/science/science-explorer?lq=Snakehead

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Does it have to be collapsible, or can it be multi part? To get a good collapsible you're in for about $160-180, a decent multipart can be had for less.

What's your budget and what is your wife going to be fishing for?

Looking for a general rod for beginners. Neither of us have fished much but she loves fishing and I wanted to get her a rod.

gamera009 posted:

I'd actually disagree. I picked up one of these off amazon on a lark and it's now my go-to, cheap-rear end (but solid) collapsable rod for trout and bass fishing. It's held up for three seasons in all weather, and I have more difficulty with respelling line than the rod. It's cheap enough that buying a couple isn't bad, and I like using it as part of a packable ultralight for small/largemouth and trout.

I ended up pick up one of those rods, and it even came with a really nice case to store everything in. I'm hoping it will do well for us being that it is small and it does have a lot of positive reviews.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gamera009 posted:

Thought you guys were discussing lion fish!

Here's an old USGS (ca 2004) report that provides risk assessment.

Everything I've found combing through literature (a lot appears centered around the Chesapeake Bay area) indicates that the initial efforts to control spread of snakeheads has also limited research regarding ecological impact. That makes sense to me, since limited populations make it more difficult to assess a broader impact on the overarching biology of the environment. Everything does indicate that populations of prey fish and some predators (they mention bass and eel) have dropped, but that's not necessarily an indictment of the snakeheads as a menace for the time being. It doesn't mean people should let them go and allow the invasive species to go crazy, but there's already an economic impact with respect to having to keep trying to eradicate them and maintain a vigilant barrier to spreading throughout the US.

If you have access to it, the best indicator of what will most likely happen if snakehead become well-established in the US is probably this opinion piece in TEE. It basically boils down to freshwater ecosystems are at higher risk compared to other environs that may have invasive predators introduced due to less stratification of predator and prey in the environment. Introduction of a predatory species into a naive environment would mean that they would be able to effectively outcompete pretty much anything that normally keeps all other naive species in check/balance.

If you look at the already significant impact from lion fish on reefs they've invaded, it makes sense that snakeheads (if allowed to take root) would have an equivalent, if not more significant, ecological impact.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

Well, first, are already everywhere, here is the spot I saw them the other day "39.134487, -76.830679". They have already taken root. My main concern is that some is going to get the bright idea to drain the watered sections of the C&O canal to keep them from spreading north. Also, a lot of the " initial efforts" at control involved encouraging idiots to run generator boats through all the SAV, destroying it, to go after the snakeheads with bows. Or when snakeheads could not be found, gar, carp, beavers, or whatever else was out there.

And in any case, killing individual fish isnt going to do poo poo. I am not going to kill them the same way I am not going to kill introduced bass, introduced trout, or those nasty horses that poo poo all over our beaches. Give the snakeheads a hundred years and they will be as beloved as all the rest.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Looking for a general rod for beginners. Neither of us have fished much but she loves fishing and I wanted to get her a rod.

Sure, but like, a "fishing rod" is a hugely broad category. What species does she fish for?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

And in any case, killing individual fish isnt going to do poo poo. I am not going to kill them the same way I am not going to kill introduced bass, introduced trout, or those nasty horses that poo poo all over our beaches. Give the snakeheads a hundred years and they will be as beloved as all the rest.

I bet whoever released the lion fish into the Caribbean reefs said the same thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gamera009 posted:

I bet whoever released the lion fish into the Caribbean reefs said the same thing.

Well, who ever introduced the bass has my thanks!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Whatever stupid cavebear didnt kill the first human poking around a cave did the earth a real disservice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Gonna go release Nile Perch in the Potomac, in a hundred years you will be thanking me!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Its almost like different species will interact with an ecosystem in different ways?

Should we kill all the bass too?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, but like, a "fishing rod" is a hugely broad category. What species does she fish for?

Whichever ones bite.

At this point I don't think we know enough about fishing to be able to answer that. Hopefully the fart around rod will help us answer that question

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Its almost like different species will interact with an ecosystem in different ways?

Should we kill all the bass too?

Why do you keep bringing up bass, an already established multi billion dollar economic powerhouse and native fish?

Nobody is buying a snakehead boat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Why do you keep bringing up bass, an already established multi billion dollar economic powerhouse and native fish?

Nobody is buying a snakehead boat.

Completely incorrect, the bass pro shop in Maryland sells ready-made generator boats with huge banks of lights on the front specifically to bow hunt for snakehead at night. There also at least a couple charter captains that do snakeheads specific charters in the tidal Potomac. And as I said before bass are not native to the tidal Potomac, they were introduced at some point in the late 1800s.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Completely incorrect, the bass pro shop in Maryland sells ready-made generator boats with huge banks of lights on the front specifically to bow hunt for snakehead at night. There also at least a couple charter captains that do snakeheads specific charters in the tidal Potomac. And as I said before bass are not native to the tidal Potomac, they were introduced at some point in the late 1800s.

All it'll take is one dumb fishing show talking about how badass snake heads are and how fishing them is for real men and you'll have a small but thriving industry. Oh geez I forgot to respond the other day:

I'm all set on plastics, man. I have like 100 floating around. Gotta burn through some of those bad boys before I do anything else. Find a more needy home for 'em! I definitely appreciate the offer though, since I am broke but I'd just feel guilty.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Whatever dude you got me I had no idea your region had some niche product that's probably about .01% of the bass industry. Frankly I approve because you ain't catching and releasing a fish you just pierced with an arrow.

Bass are native to the United States and over time would have naturally shown up a whole lot sooner than the epoch it would have taken for snakeheads to be introduced.

Ultimately its your fishery so if everything dies but snakeheads from some nasty introduced disease or other such import from stupid fucks introducing stuff into new environments I can at lease safely laugh at you from the west coast.

Until our own local retards do it to.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Ultimately its your fishery so if everything dies but snakeheads from some nasty introduced disease or other such import from stupid fucks introducing stuff into new environments I can at lease safely laugh at you from the west coast.

Everything is going to die around here due to runoff and other land-based bullshit. The air breathing snakeheads might be the only thing that survives in the Potomac. Well them and the blue cats. And guys plowing up weed beds is doing more harm than any good that would come from killing a few fish a night. Also they seem to like to shoot loving anything, like say a pile of gar;

Taken at Mattawoman Creek, which is one of the best bass/snakehead fisheries around here. Encouraging bow hunting at night was so loving stupid I don't even know how DNR came up with the idea.

Like, I get want you guys are saying and believe it applies generally, but in the specific fishery around here there has been 15 years of study and thus far no actual harm shown. There were a few years where the population boomed, but now, due to factors that no one seems to be studying (or publishing if is studied), they are pretty rare, with most guys having to make special trips to have a chance of getting one. I have been out on average 2-3 days a week for the last two years fishing dozens of waterways around here and I have seen them a grand total of three times, two of which were in this same 1/8 mile stretch of river.

And if Gumble2Gumble doesn't want them, I have a pile of bass plastics up for grabs, if anyone wants a some packs shoot me a PM and I can mail some out next week. It's all sorts of open packs with a few pieces missing, so not worth trying to sell.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you remember what restaurant? I do fieldwork in Belize and would love to check it out.

Pablito's in Sarteneja. He does a fantastic friend lionfish with fries and coleslaw.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

Pops caught a nice King in a derby today, he's in the top apparently. Will find out results in about 3 hours.

Edit: 2nd place! 24.85 lbs and 575$!! The top fish was 26 lbs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rad!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Pablito's in Sarteneja. He does a fantastic friend lionfish with fries and coleslaw.
Thanks! Ill check it out next time I get the chance to head out to the Corozal district.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Everything is going to die around here due to runoff and other land-based bullshit. The air breathing snakeheads might be the only thing that survives in the Potomac. Well them and the blue cats. And guys plowing up weed beds is doing more harm than any good that would come from killing a few fish a night. Also they seem to like to shoot loving anything, like say a pile of gar;

Taken at Mattawoman Creek, which is one of the best bass/snakehead fisheries around here. Encouraging bow hunting at night was so loving stupid I don't even know how DNR came up with the idea.

Like, I get want you guys are saying and believe it applies generally, but in the specific fishery around here there has been 15 years of study and thus far no actual harm shown. There were a few years where the population boomed, but now, due to factors that no one seems to be studying (or publishing if is studied), they are pretty rare, with most guys having to make special trips to have a chance of getting one. I have been out on average 2-3 days a week for the last two years fishing dozens of waterways around here and I have seen them a grand total of three times, two of which were in this same 1/8 mile stretch of river.

And if Gumble2Gumble doesn't want them, I have a pile of bass plastics up for grabs, if anyone wants a some packs shoot me a PM and I can mail some out next week. It's all sorts of open packs with a few pieces missing, so not worth trying to sell.

I do but I think they'd make other people much happier. Thank you my friend.

Also yeah I read a ton of articles about snakeheads and all the scary ones were from like 2005, and everything from 2014 onward was people saying "still not a threat! be vigilant though!". They even went out with a scientist whose job was to shock fish and catch them to study snakeheads and he goes days without finding them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Looks like the spawn is ending and the girls are hungry again. It was very pleasing to catch these two (and two more smaller ones) as I maybe catch one like one in ten trips to this pond. They were all right where they should be, under docks or floating mats.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I just recently got a fishing rod, and today I caught a tiny fish!

It didn't put up much of a fight, but it took like forever trying to get it to bite. Fly fishing is kind of fun and very chillaxed at the same time. :3:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks like a little brown trout! Nice job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

-Anders posted:

It didn't put up much of a fight

That's trout for you