Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
is there any good documentations for the mechanics of this game? The manual seems hopelessly out of date (or is there an up to date version?) and the tutorial fails to explain a lot of things

e: looks like the manual you get through steam is more up to date than what you find if you google it

e2: but it's still not very good. like one sentence on how this whole "system levels" thing works for instance

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think I found another bug. The Chapter 4 of the UE quest, I"m supposed to build Mount of Zevelas and I can't find it anywhere to build.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The siege module is extremely effective. Just build 3 coordinator ships full of siege modules and you can completely blow up a garrison without defense building in two turns.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So if the Vodyani win a ground battle you lose everything? Just like that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jastiger posted:

When I was playing Vodyani it seems they leave the system with a debuff that lets the original player recolonize within 40 turns to get their buildings back.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the game a bit, but can anyone tell me what's up with the Hyperium home planet perk? I can see that my home planet has Titanium and Hyperium. I have the tech to exploit both but I'm only getting a titanium income. Hyperium is at 0 for some reason.

:siren: There's a beta patch that fixes this. :siren:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I see and how abiut my chapter 4 quest for the ue. Is that just broken?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Beats me, patch notes only mentioned the resource thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Clarste posted:

When I was playing Vodyani it seems they leave the system with a debuff that lets the original player recolonize within 40 turns to get their buildings back.

also, if you LOSE a ground battle as vodyani, the ark is wrecked and all the pops on it die. you can reclaim the wreck later but you're out all of the pops and most of the buildings on it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jastiger posted:

I can guarantee that even if it isn't fixed in this experimental patch, it won't stay broken. Amplitude are pretty good at getting bugs fixed. It is the weekend, and while they've got some fixes up and running I'd expect most of them to come Monday or Tuesday.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So I played a game with most of the victory conditions turned off in the hopes of actually seeing the Academy quest to completion for once. It's kind of cool actually: dividing the galaxy into two aliiances that have to duke it out over random stars in the middle of nowhere, but the reward for doing this was... nonexistent. It played a cutscene and for a second I thought it was an actual ending, but then it just gives you some dust and strategics that it's impossible to care about at that stage of the game. And the game goes on as if nothing happened. Seems very half-assed at the moment, especially for something that most players will never see because the Economic Victory will happen first.

Edit: Also, blowing up homeworlds does not count as conquering them for the victory condition. Which should be obvious I guess, but I was just hoping to skip another tedious invasion.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 21, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Onean posted:

I can guarantee that even if it isn't fixed in this experimental patch, it won't stay broken. Amplitude are pretty good at getting bugs fixed. It is the weekend, and while they've got some fixes up and running I'd expect most of them to come Monday or Tuesday.

Frustratijg. Its a main quest!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jastiger posted:

The technology Emperor's Shadow has an improvement called Zelevas Incarnate in it. It's a monument to the Emperor. Maybe they forgot to update the quest objective text after changing the name of the improvement.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhh that may be it. It just says to build it, no other contextw

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Basic questions the game seems to assume I already know:
- Why is Dust worth so much Galaxy wide? I can see it's the gold coins of the 4X game, but what is it's background?
- Who are the Endless and what happened to them? (if this is revealed in a quest, please spoiler tag it)
- Who is the Academy and why are the ONLY PLACE IN THE ENTIRE GALAXY that makes heroes? Can I declare war on them? Can I destroy them, or someone else destroy them, or blockade them?
- How do I invade a planet? I haven't wanted to declare war before I could build an army to invade, but I haven't seen any option to do that.
- What tech is needed to build a bigger ship?
- I went bankrupt and couldn't see why - was it because I expanded too fast? I had 3 patrol ships and a hero but not many/any buildings making Dust (however THAT works).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Delacroix posted:

Curiosity expeditions are tied to scouts and there is a strength requisite presumably so you have to upgrade your scout ships with better scanners in the exploration tree.

Thanks. But what is it? What is curiosity expeditions.

Comstar posted:

- Why is Dust worth so much Galaxy wide? I can see it's the gold coins of the 4X game, but what is it's background?
- Who are the Endless and what happened to them? (if this is revealed in a quest, please spoiler tag it)
- Who is the Academy and why are the ONLY PLACE IN THE ENTIRE GALAXY that makes heroes? Can I declare war on them? Can I destroy them, or someone else destroy them, or blockade them?
- How do I invade a planet? I haven't wanted to declare war before I could build an army to invade, but I haven't seen any option to do that.
- I went bankrupt and couldn't see why - was it because I expanded too fast? I had 3 patrol ships and a hero but not many/any buildings making Dust (however THAT works).

I'll answer some.

1.Dust is nanomachines made by the endless. They are so good they can do pretty much anything if you have enough of them.
2. No idea.
3. This annoys me as well. Surely no individual can hope to become a competent leader without THE ACADEMY.
4. Blocade a system with your fleet and the option will appear.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 21, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Comstar posted:

Dust is in all the Endless games. It's basically a sort of nanotechnological fuel or paste that can be used to create all sorts of things, induce paranormal abilities, etc. Ever read Dune? It's kind of like Spice but it's also programmable matter.

The Endless were the first sentient species in the galaxy who had super-advanced technology like Dust. Two factions arose in the Endless, the Virtuals who focused on uploading themselves into computers and the Concretes who wanted to master the physical world. They got into a big civil war and everything went to poo poo.

The Academy is basically a Heroes' Guild that developed over time. I think this one's the most transparent lore stuff that's just created for the purpose of the gameplay conceit of being able to recruit characters across factions. It's not a faction in itself and you can't directly interact with it. There are events and quests related to it that also depend on whether you control the system the Academy is in.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

The Academy is just a special feature (it's actually classed as an anomaly) associated with a unique planet called Harrow. If you find the planet and bring it under your influence, you get a boost to XP gain on your heroes and you can see the stats and whereabouts of all other heroes in the game (not particularly useful, tbh). You get heroes whether you control the Academy or not, and I don't think its affected by wars or blockades or whatever (Harrow itself can't be colonized and has zero output, so you never actually fight on the planet itself - think of it as neutral ground). Don't know if it can be destroyed since I haven't gotten that far yet; the planet is actually already destroyed, so ....

You can't invade planets unless you're at war with the empire in question (I think having the religious faction in control allows you to circumvent this).

New hull types can be found in the upper part of the Empire Development section (left side of the tech screen). Look for the techs with little ship symbols (like arrows) to the left of them.

New colony bases use a fair amount of dust, so yeah, you probably expanded too fast and built too many improvements without ensuring a decent economic base. I think it's a good idea to enable the super tax law right out of the gate since the happiness hit isn't very significant at the start with a small population and the extra dust really helps with early expansion.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 21, 2017

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Sekenr posted:

Thanks. But what is it? What is curiosity expeditions.

Curiosities are a type of planet modifier randomly distributed among systems. You need a ship in orbit with probes and use one probe for a "curiosity expedition" to reveal what the curiosity does. It's like the goody huts in Civ Beyond Earth that require explorers to expend a limited charge, but better implemented even if not as obvious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From what I figure, the Academy is a big deal because every single Hero in the game is Dust-enhanced and only the Academy knows how to train them to use their new affinity for Dust to its furthest extent. Funnily enough, considering the existence of Endless Legend after Endless Space, the metaphor I'd use would be that Heroes are basically wizards; they stand above mundane people since they have magic powers but still require tutelage to be more than the average leader.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Delacroix posted:

Curiosities are a type of planet modifier randomly distributed among systems. You need a ship in orbit with probes and use one probe for a "curiosity expedition" to reveal what the curiosity does. It's like the goody huts in Civ Beyond Earth that require explorers to expend a limited charge, but better implemented even if not as obvious.

:science: You can also do this through a system's construction queue, just click on the curiosity while you're in the system menu that lets you add things to the queue.

Sekenr posted:

Instances like that could have been solved by a proper tutorial but the tutorial is awfully picky about what it chooses to explain to you. And it chooses poorly, there is a tutorial for a very straightforward and intuitive tech screen which requires no explanation but 0 info about things that are not intuitive, for example "Curiosity expedition Pow. 2". WTF is that?

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, Curiosities require a certain level of curiosity expedition power to see and interact with. I believe certain techs in the Science (bottom) quadrant and the tier bonuses (what you unlock by researching a set number of techs in a tier) let you see and interact with the higher levels. For example, I think there's a tier two tech that lets you see and interact with level three Curiosities, while the bonus for reaching tier three will set your ability to see them to level three, but you can only interact with level two. (I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't double check, but if someone else can or already knows and can confirm or disprove this that'd be appreciated.)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Nah I'm the United Empire.

Did you set up a new outpost? Late-game outposts can drain food supplies from the supplying system pretty bloody fast. I had the same problem where my capital system started losing population. Checked the food stock and I was at -1K food because it was going to the outpost :stonk:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, latest beta patch fixed the Riftborn being unable to harvest hyperium, but not the "hangs on Diplomacy Screen" thing. Still! That's way faster turnaround time than you'd get from any other company. Amplitude are pretty good at this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Academy isn't just fluff, it's the main plot of the game (in the same sense that Winter is the main plot of EL, although less well integrated). The ultimate endgame mega-quest that you'll probably never see is to declare war on the Academy and its allies (ie: everyone else), and ultimately blow it up. It's meant to be mysterious until then.

I'm not sure if anyone actually cares about spoilers in a 4X game, but the leader of the Academy is the Vodyani Heretic, who stumbled across some Virtual Endless tech to "reset" the dust and revive the Lost, who he says are its original creators. Before the Endless? I don't even know. It's kind of vague what his goal is, but he basically wants to hand the universe back to its "rightful owners" and kill everyone else who screwed it up.

It you do this mega-quest before winning the game, you get a special ending cutscene depending on your faction and whether or not you sided with the Academy.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 21, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Clarste posted:

The Academy isn't just fluff, it's the main plot of the game (in the same sense that Winter is the main plot of EL, although less well integrated). The ultimate endgame mega-quest that you'll probably never see is to declare war on the Academy and its allies (ie: everyone else), and ultimately blow it up. It's meant to be mysterious until then.

I'm not sure if anyone actually cares about spoilers in a 4X game, but the leader of the Academy is the Vodyani Heretic, who stumbled across some Virtual Endless tech to "reset" the dust and revive the Lost, who he says are its original creators. Before the Endless? I don't even know. It's kind of vague what his goal is, but he basically wants to hand the universe back to its "rightful owners" and kill everyone else who screwed it up.

It you do this mega-quest before winning the game, you get a special ending cutscene depending on your faction and whether or not you sided with the Academy.

That's actually cool. I like that there's something like this in a 4X game.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man, does this game run pretty poorly for other people? Lots of lag just adding buildings to the queue. Is there some kind of memory leak?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Man, does this game run pretty poorly for other people? Lots of lag just adding buildings to the queue. Is there some kind of memory leak?

How far into the game are you? I've noticed the UI getting laggy around turn 100 if there are more than 4-5 AIs in the game. I think it's because the AI is working on its poo poo in the background during your turn, when in most 4X games you have specific player downtime for the AI to do its thing.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Tulip posted:

The United Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTbS8BEa1oI

Aka the UE. The UE are the ‘human’ faction, and unsurprisingly the most ‘vanilla.'

All of their traits are easy to take advantage of - they get free influence for everything they construct as well as their core pop giving more influence, they have a higher cap on the number of systems they can colonize before suffering overexpansion penalties, they get more manpower from both their secondary pop (Hissho) and their Patriots trait, and they start with two of the most frequently chosen starter techs. Their 'core' ability is that they can spend influence on techs, buildings, and resources.

The absolute piles of influence you get give you a great deal of flexibility. You can invest it back into your infrastructure, expand more quickly into minors, or pump it into making more diplomatic deals. Combined with the focus on industry, you will rarely find yourself in the frustrating position of having too many things to build and not enough industry to build them.

Hortatio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

aka Being John Horatio. The Horatio are vain biologists, all clones of one super-rich, super-powerful Horatio Prime. They tend to be a more peaceful faction.

Horatio require a little more finesse than some other factions.Their core population gives more food and more happiness by default, but really the point of Horatio is that you can sacrifice non-Horatio faction populations at the altar of Horatio to splice their genes into the Horatio genepool, making your Horatio more powerful and beautiful, which intrinsically means that Horatio requires a little more micro. Thanks to their cloning prowess, heroes hired by Horatio recover faster. Horatio ships cost more (and have kind of lovely hardpoints), while their planets suffer both less overcrowding problems (on top of the beautiful Horatio giving bonus approval) and have more population slots. Their secondary population, Z'vali, have more science output and additional approval. Horatio themselves tend to prefer the ecologist faction, and start as a dictatorship, so you start the game being able to colonize all non-gas planets.

All in all, Horatio are a bit of a late bloomer. Until you have acquired (and sacrificed) a decent variety of pops, you're not able to really display the beauty and power of Horatio, and bonus food with bonus pop slots are not bonuses that lead to an early lead. Fortunately, you do have a lot of colonization options, and you have a good approval buffer.

Horatio.

The Vodyani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yupbwsSfGsE

Nomadic Space Vampires. Vodyani are the weirdest and probably swingiest faction. They worship the Virtual Endless, which is kind of insane, and are in some ways obligated to be the nastiest crusaders in the galaxy.

Popwise, Vodyani have some weird traits. They're religiously oriented, grow incredibly slow, and have powerful bonuses to FIDS (but not influence). More importantly, each Vodyani pop occupies one population slot on each planet in the system colonized. Even more importantly, improvements and population are not tied to system, but to the arc ship that is temporarily tethered to the system, meaning you can pick up and move to a new system at your heart's content. Also, instead of colony ships you get "Leechers," which go to other people's planets and kidnap their people to reduce them to 'essence' that you use to build more ark ships and Vodyani pops. Vodyani infantry are more powerful than other infantry, and their ships are faster. Heroes also gain +2 XP per turn just for working for you. Vodyani pops are religious, which gives you a weird grab bag of laws, notably the ability to treat Cold War as hot war, and a law that gives yet more experience to your heroes.

All in all, the Vodyani capture a sort of Space Mongols play style, which requires some amount of flexibility of thinking.

The Lumeris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_Ug6piiqI

Merchants extraordinaire, the Lumeris can expand incredibly fast, and turn around and use that expansion as a trading resource.

Their major trait is that they can sell trade outposts through the diplomacy menu. They don't use colony ships at all, instead they just spend a pile of dust and instantly get an outpost, allowing for quick expansion. Because they don't start with a colony ship, they instead have a second explorer, and they have a higher probe stock on exploration ships, making them great for early game discovery. In addition, they have higher approval and can ignore Cold War blockades on trade ships, which helps make them both more dust and colonize faster and more effectively. They also use dust to influence minor factions instead of influence, allowing you to save that precious precious influence for trade deals. Lumeris themselves tend to vote pacifist, which is the 'dust and luxuries' political party. Despite this, they don't really have any penalties or bonuses to waging war, save that their secondary starting population, Gnashast, have defense bonuses during ground battles.

Lumeris are significantly better than other factions at creating a large trading empire, and tend to be a more peaceful faction since that leads to better trade agreements and allows you to better take advantage of the ability to sell outposts.

The Sophons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0G_RZykVA

Mad scientists, the Sophons specialize in science at the cost of all else. Including having a reasonable research strategy.

The sophons have two traits that make them kind of kooky at science: the first is that they get a significant research bonus to techs based on how many other players have NOT researched that tech, and their preferred (and thus starting) political party is Scientists, who let you research an era ahead. In addition to their primary pop giving a science boost, their secondary population, Pilgrims, are also science producers, though more religiously focused. Sophon ships have much faster movement, and they reveal the length of outgoing starlanes as soon as they touch a system, making them very efficient explorers. The most explicit drawback of playing the Sophons is that they are significantly worse at infantry ground combat, which is a significant penalty to early war. They have an implicit drawback of being very likely to have tons of techs but not be able to build what they've researched because, while researching extremely fast, they don't have a bonus to production (there is a science law that reduces the cost of system improvements).

The Sophons require a flexible mind to take advantage of, and a pretty good familiarity with the tech tree in order to make the most of their research bonuses. Each game of Sophons comes out pretty different in my experience.

The Cravers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rgswnjpZg

Slaver warlords, the Cravers never know peace and are basically the bad guys from Independence Day.

The primary trait of Cravers is that, so long as their is one craver pop on a planet, non-Craver pops are dramatically more productive (with an approval penalty). Because they are being enslaved and eaten. However, Craver pops themselves generate Depletion Points every turn; once a planet has too many depletion points, it becomes an emptied husk of what it once was, and the Craver pop itself loses its pretty crazy production bonuses. All of this means that Cravers benefit substantially from having starports and significant amounts of population micromanagement. The rest of their traits make them better at war: cheaper ships, larger fleets, better infantry, and of course being unable to go to Peace so long as militarists are in the Senate. Fortunately(?) you're a dictatorship, so you can arbitrarily put another faction as your sole party, though it will hurt. Their secondary pop, Harsoshems, are food producers, which can be tricky to manage.

Because of the way they deplete planets, the Cravers are not just good at war, they practically need it, though not quite as badly as the Vodyani. However, you do not have any approval bonuses and in fact have approval maluses, making expansion potentially costly. The Cravers are the only faction I've played where my government was overthrown by domestic pressures.

The Riftborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H8DedCW_I

Survivors from a transdimensional cataclysm, the Riftborn must build their pop manually and have a heavy industry focus. They can also gently caress with time.

Riftborn pops have a hefty bonus to dust, industry, and science outputs, but as a tradeoff they must create new Riftborn via the construction queue. As a result of their weird non-biology, they don't spend food or dust on colonizing new systems, instead spending Titanium and Hyperium. They also have a weird approval bonus on sterile planets paired with an approval penalty on fertile planets (and also have a unique ability to terraform planets to sterile). Their ships are slower and less flexible than other factions, typically having no flex hardpoints. Their secondary population is Remnants, who have bonuses to dust and industry production; both populations favor the Industrialist party. In addition to using titanium and hyperium for colonization, they also use it for constructing "singularities," basically spells that gently caress with time. Specifically, the titanium one gives a ton of bonuses to the system its used on, while the hyperium one gives a ton of penalties. You don't have to be at war with somebody to use the penalty one, so that's a nice way of doing some asymmetrical warfare. Late game, you also get stasis, which stops EVERYTHING from happening on that system.

The Riftborn are a little inflexible, but quite potent within their specialization. Their great production lends itself to both butter and guns, and their ability to use hyperium and titanium as if they were dust or food gives you even better potential optimization. Do be aware that their ships are really, really slow, which makes warfare awkward.

The Unfallen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHLH_e12o0

Tree people with a weird, weird way of expanding.

Instead of building colony ships, you get "vineships." A vineship goes to system and creates a vine between that system and your network of vine'd systems. As soon as your vine is completed, you can immediately turn that system into a full-on colonized system (assuming you have the right colonization techs), completely skipping the outpost phase. But beware, should the vines be cut, you lose all systems that are cut off from your vine network. The Unfallen are disposed toward diplomatic friendship, gaining benefits to both war and approval based on having friendly relations with other major factions. Unsurprisingly, Unfallen have a strong disposition to the Pacifist faction.

The Unfallen lend themselves to very peaceful play, and can start really, really fast. Unfortunately, Unfallen do not have extra pop slots nor do they have bonuses to any production other than food, meaning that you can create a large empire of unremarkable systems. Fortunately, as is the case in 4X, a strong early game can be leveraged into a strong game in general.

Can this be put in the OP. Please.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i downloaded that beta patch that is supposed to fix strategic resources, but its still broken for me, oh well

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, as someone earlier in the thread said, turns out the likely reason why the Riftborn aren't super aggro at all is because holy poo poo those are some slow as gently caress ships. Watching a big fleet approach your border system isn't quite as intimidating when you suss out how far it moves every turn and realize you could have all your border fleets converge on the system 5 turns ahead of its arrival.

Now that I know this, and as much as I love playing UE, I might try out a Riftborn game on a higher difficulty after this run since they look like the turtle, super tall race.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Ramadu posted:

Yeah. It kinda grinds to a halt after 100 turns or so.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Comstar posted:

1. Dust is the nanomachines the Endless used to terraform the galaxy and uplift whoever they wanted. Dust in high concentrations makes you a superaware genius (if it doesn't kill you or destroy you mind), and it can be used to build things at super-speed.

2. The Endless are the now-dead super-advanced precursors. They were a galaxy-spanning multi-species society that grew so advanced that they could do almost anything, and one of their main inventions was digitizing and uploading sentient minds.

They fell out into a civil war between two factions, the Virtual Endless, posthumanoids who'd uploaded their brains, and Concrete Endless, who retained some connection to their original bodies. They destroyed each other, and most of the species in the Endless games were created by them, using their technology, or are desperate survivors of that time.

3. The Academy is an actual planet you can control. Controlling it lets you know where all the heroes in the galaxy are, and lets you put off building the Academy Affiliate building for a while.

4. Fly your fleet to an enemy planet while you're at war, hit "defend" to blockade it, then click the button with an icon that looks like a flattened hexagon.

5. Third-tier tech on the left-hand side.

6. Usually it's because of some event that gives you negative global dust, or maybe you're not building the Cerebral Reality building that gives 10 dust and science in every colony. (You should build that.)

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Runs increasingly poorly after turn 100 or so. Aren't memory leaks resolved by saving, restarting the application, and loading? Because that doesn't help.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MadJackMcJack posted:

Did you set up a new outpost? Late-game outposts can drain food supplies from the supplying system pretty bloody fast. I had the same problem where my capital system started losing population. Checked the food stock and I was at -1K food because it was going to the outpost :stonk:

I think you are right. Its weird how my incomes fluctuate like that. But it makes sense. Its a big deal to settle or resettle an area.
Huge pain in the rear end though since the Vodyani took two planets, i beat them back but now have to resettle from scratch. They gained little and i lost much. I wish there was a way to make my ships move faster, they take forever to get anywhere. The colony had lost all its buildings by the time i got there, and i sent a settler straight away.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I wish there was a way to make my ships move faster, they take forever to get anywhere. The colony had lost all its buildings by the time i got there, and i sent a settler straight away.

There's a few ways:
-A lot of the Science and Exploration techs give you upgraded engines, but you have to go to the Ship Designer and Edit your colony ship blueprint to add them. I think there's even a couple of ship upgrades that boost movement for the entire fleet.
-There's at least one science law that boosts movement for all of your ships.
-A lot of the heroes have fleet movement boosting powers, but it's probably kind of insulting to put them on a colony ship.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Avasculous posted:

-A lot of the heroes have fleet movement boosting powers, but it's probably kind of insulting to put them on a colony ship.

Pfft, what's insulting about being given charge of one of society's greatest tasks: world-seeding? IMO, it's more insulting to throw them into the military industrial complex meat grinder that is ship combat. :colbert:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The movement traits are why I like Seekers as combat heroes better than Guardians. The Vodyani Seeker especially, although Primitive and Eusociak are nice too.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Really liking this game. Probably quitting for now due to slowdown and some bugs, but I'm going to really be into this in a couple of months.

Game made me miss EL anyway, and I still have a couple races to hear that game with.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Unfallen Protip: Vines don't have to follow lanes. The systems just need to be somewhat close even if they're in different constellations. I'm kicking myself for not realizing this sooner.

Somewhat related -- is there any way to speed up entwining/spread vines? Didn't see anything in the tech tree, and it looks like the Platinum Colonizer modules can't be used on Vine ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Unfallen Protip: Vines don't have to follow lanes. The systems just need to be somewhat close even if they're in different constellations. I'm kicking myself for not realizing this sooner.

Somewhat related -- is there any way to speed up entwining/spread vines? Didn't see anything in the tech tree, and it looks like the Platinum Colonizer modules can't be used on Vine ships.

You can have multiple vineships working on a system at the same time. Get a 10-ship fleet and you can entwine as fast as you can travel.