Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I should probably note that the linked video is by the Perry Bible Fellowship guy, and that as soon as you get bored of it (you will), it's worth skipping to the end.

That episode was okay, but it felt very easy to compare it to Heaven Sent. A lot of the concepts are the same (the Doctor is solving a puzzle about his surroundings, discovers that those surroundings are a simulation, and engages in an escape in which he vows to stop the people who did it to him), but the execution feels a little over-crowded with other stuff. The "enemies who are all bluster and are scared away by Googling the Doctor" thing is sort of worn out for a bit too. I did like the Pope in the bedroom joke, the reason Missy is in the vault (we knew it was her, but whatever), and the reason Nardole is following the Doctor around. I also liked the aesthetics of the simulation projector room.

Not looking forward to the next one, though. The new villains feel kind of generic, with zombie faces, robes and the Silence voice, it looks we're going to have the standard UNIT military type story, Peter Harness, yadda yadda. We'll see, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

DoctorWhat posted:

Mario wants to stop dying... but first, we have to talk about parallel universes.

"Mario, are you afraid of God?"

"No, but mamma mia I'm afraid a' you."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burkion posted:

What strikes me about the episode is that, for a very short time there, it was almost like the Doctor Who version of John Carpenter's The Prince of Darkness.

And then it went a whole other direction that I don't think was quite as good.

Also I honestly misread why they were committing suicide. I thought it was because they realized this was an alien invasion preparing to take on the real world, and they were doing it out of defiance to protect the real world.

Apparently they weren't doing that. They were killing themselves to....stop existing I guess

No, they killed themselves "to save the world". The real world. It mucks up the data set, and teaches the invaders that humans are prone to mass suicide at the drop of a hat (which, okay, we do that sometimes but not as often as their simulation predicts.) All the NPCs we saw just committed suicide, but it's possible there are some who take more chaotic actions. Nothing matters and none of the people around you are real, so why not murder that annoying guy on the bus or rob a bank? If you're the POTUS why not launch a bunch nukes before you kill yourself and really mess with the simulation?

If the invaders have complex simulations but not time travel, then rerunning the simulation costs them time. Time where the real humans are moving into the future and developing more complex technology and weapons of our own. It's not a huge advantage for us, but it is all the NPCs can do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, no- See that's what I thought it was too.

But I'm pretty sure the Doctor says the opposite. That they were just doing it to escape.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just because the Doctor makes an assumption doesn't make it true.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The real question is how come computer Third Doctor didn't figure all this out during the UNIT years (the simulation is imprecise enough that it could have been the 70s or 80s).

Mike Yates: 39! 1,000! 4,967! Haha. Look, I know that when I eat this steak, the shadow game is just telling an NPC that it's juicy and delicious. Ignorance is bliss! Look, zombie-face, when you put me back in your little game, I want to be someone important... like a Brigadier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

The real question is how come computer Third Doctor didn't figure all this out during the UNIT years (the simulation is imprecise enough that it could have been the 70s or 80s).

Mike Yates: 39! 1,000! 4,967! Haha. Look, I know that when I eat this steak, the shadow game is just telling an NPC that it's juicy and delicious. Ignorance is bliss! Look, zombie-face, when you put me back in your little game, I want to be someone important... like a Brigadier.

Probably did. Lots of times. The zombie alien did say they'd killed the Doctor before.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Namtab posted:

He's gonna keep missy in a vault for 1000 years then she'll be free to resume wanton slaughter

You just know she'd do her best Rita Repulsa.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Doctor just forgets about her for 9000 years while loving around.

It does seem really weird the Master and River never met up though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Just because the Doctor makes an assumption doesn't make it true.
After all when you make an assumption you make an rear end out of you and umption. :pseudo:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I liked it but I accept the complaints that it doesn't really hold up that well under scrutiny.

Burkion posted:

The Doctor just forgets about her for 9000 years while loving around.

Not sure Missy would really sweat on the details anyway.

"After 10,000 years I'm free!"
- "It was only 1000"
"Well it felt like 10,000!"

Vinylshadow posted:

I laughed a lot harder than I should have at the dudes freaking out about the Doctor's Fatality Index count

It's funny comparing this to what he said to Bill some episodes back though.

"Have you ever killed someone?"
-" Well... sometimes options are limited. But I have an EPIC fatality index, and my longest killstreak is like 4 trillion or something."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor, narrowing his eyes at the Weird Gaimanesque, Execution Planet Cult: Google, "The Doctor is gonna put a cap in yo rear end" on Youtube.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I liked that, and was pretty rapt throughout. Good creepy 'what the hell is going on?' atmosphere. Agree with DoctorWhat strongly that it felt like a Big Finish story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

No, no- See that's what I thought it was too.

But I'm pretty sure the Doctor says the opposite. That they were just doing it to escape.

That's how I read it. It's a sort of existential crisis that causes them to just wonder about everything and just say gently caress it. The overly dramatic dynamite at CERN was it's own brand of non-specific gently caress you to the simulated universe.

It's the version of nihilism that everyone assumes it is. Nothing matters. Why exist?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

If that happened it would save this season imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Namtab posted:

If that happened it would save this season imo

Does this season need "saving" though? It's had like 1 middling episode and a bunch of good to great ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will be very glad to get past this next episode.

Good or bad, it hangs over my head like the sword of Damocles.

There's this sense of quiet dread that I've been having because of it.

Mind you after that is the other shoe in the form of Chibnal so you know

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Does this season need "saving" though? It's had like 1 middling episode and a bunch of good to great ones.

Yeah, unless they horribly botch the last half of the season, this is shaping up to be among the top revival seasons so far.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Man you guys are clearly watching a much different season than me

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

And It Was All A Dream?

Really? Really, Doctor Who?

What a waste of an hour. And the season was going well too. I hope this isn't the downward pivot

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

Man you guys are clearly watching a much different season than me

I dunno, what season are you watching? Shits been super tight right from the getgo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ither posted:

And It Was All A Dream?

Really? Really, Doctor Who?

What a waste of an hour. And the season was going well too. I hope this isn't the downward pivot

It Wasn't Actually All A Dream Were You Paying Attention

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Actually, this is the sister trope to 'it was all a dream', the 'it was all a lie'. The main effective difference is a variable quality level; the dream trope almost always means the whole story was useless but provides an interesting stage for things, while the lie trope could, depending on execution, either be a worthwhile and interesting addition or actively a waste of your time. Compare Last Christmas (dream, but interesting) to Time Heist (lie, kinda bullshit) and Heaven Sent (lie, really good).

We'll see which one this was later, but it seems like it might actually be impactful on the story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What's funny about Heaven Sent is that a lot of what's revealed about the lie afterward is pretty trash, but it's still probably the best episode of the series (I like Hell Bent because of the stuff between Clara and the Doctor, but the Time Lord stuff is kinda meh).

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Dabir posted:

It Wasn't Actually All A Dream Were You Paying Attention

Dream. Simulation. Same difference.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It really isn't the same at all, but I can see how you'd dislike the ultimate fate of the people we've been following just being deleted because they never really existed in the first place. For me part of its strength was in the characters facing up to their non-existence and grasping at whatever meaning/significance/purpose they could in a meaningless (for them) universe. Particularly the Doctor realizing he could give his real self advanced warning of the invasion, but also Nardole being willing to test his own existence by moving beyond the projectors.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The best was Amy's Choice, because while it was all a dream, they all still lived it and their characters were thus changed and informed because of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ashpanash posted:

The best was Amy's Choice, because while it was all a dream, they all still lived it and their characters were thus changed and informed because of it.

They were also actually in danger the entire time, and because of what was happening in the dream, just not for the reasons they expected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

Actually, this is the sister trope to 'it was all a dream', the 'it was all a lie'. The main effective difference is a variable quality level; the dream trope almost always means the whole story was useless but provides an interesting stage for things, while the lie trope could, depending on execution, either be a worthwhile and interesting addition or actively a waste of your time. Compare Last Christmas (dream, but interesting) to Time Heist (lie, kinda bullshit) and Heaven Sent (lie, really good).

We'll see which one this was later, but it seems like it might actually be impactful on the story.
And Turn Left, where almost nothing in the episode actually "happened" but which was still an interesting story and still affected how the audience viewed Donna.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And Turn Left, where almost nothing in the episode actually "happened" but which was still an interesting story and still affected how the audience viewed Donna.

If anything, Turn Left is essential for making the end of Donna's arc land as strongly as it does. It's important that we emotionally, unconsciously understand what Donna's losing when she loses her memory, as much as comprehend what it means -- and Turn Left does a pretty good job of suggesting some of the life she'll end up going back to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, you can do "it's all fake" stories, but something has to matter. Like in Extremis, the point wasn't "it's fake so we can gently caress everything up", it was "it's fake and here's how people figure it out and what even a fake Doctor can do about it". This episode could have stood fine on its own with the conclusion being now that the real Doctor knows what's going on the villains are doomed to failure (which they are, of course, but that would be a one minute epilogue instead of a full episode next week).

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Did I miss something with the glasses where there was something clever that explained how he got a message out of the simulation to the real doctor? Without that, the climax is pretty lame to me; he just asserts that he can do something and that's that :shrug:

I can't really think of a satisfying way to do it, but I'm neither an alien genius or world famous tv wrier and they should do better :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joe football posted:

Did I miss something with the glasses where there was something clever that explained how he got a message out of the simulation to the real doctor? Without that, the climax is pretty lame to me; he just asserts that he can do something and that's that :shrug:

I can't really think of a satisfying way to do it, but I'm neither an alien genius or world famous tv wrier and they should do better :colbert:

I just assume they hosed up real bad and perfectly recreated his sunglasses, which would surely have some kind of quantum bullshit wifi that would connect to a real world network.

Like imagine you wrote up an email in virtual reality and sent it through the internet to some one. That email would still get to them, even though you didn't REALLY write it.

Same idea here, only with whatever bullshit quantum stuff the Doctor uses.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It wasn't a dream, it was a warning

Not unlike "Sleep No More" but, ya know, good

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

joe football posted:

The show is happy to have 'the doctor is very clever' as an overt assumption

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

happyhippy posted:

WE ARE THE EXECUTIONERS OF EVERY SENTIENT SPECIES IN THE UNIVERSE. INCLUDING TIME LORDS

Well how else are Time Lords supposed to execute people other than outsourcing it? There's the Oubliette of Eternity, but that's a relic that hasn't been used in years...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well how else are Time Lords supposed to execute people other than outsourcing it? There's the Oubliette of Eternity, but that's a relic that hasn't been used in years...

Or ever, in fact!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The show is happy to have 'the doctor is very clever' as an overt assumption

Yes, he is good with computers. He once programmed a virus that affected every clock in the world using only a cell phone in a few minutes. That is impossible, and so is this. He is the Doctor he does impossible things.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Or ever, in fact!

You know, I don't know why they even bother keeping that thing around. It's just taking up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, he is good with computers. He once programmed a virus that affected every clock in the world using only a cell phone in a few minutes. That is impossible, and so is this. He is the Doctor he does impossible things.

Actually, this one is considerably possible. There's multiple levels of technology here, which would make it harder, but not impossible.

Simplifying this down to a human-technology level, we're talking about a part of an application sending a message to something external. There's plenty of ways to do that depending on what you want to do, all you need is some sort of protocol that's common to both the sender and the destination. We're talking about a simulation of the Doctor sending a message to the actual Doctor through the use of a device both have, so that's no worry.

Then, of course, there's the issue of it actually making the network connection, which is an issue they don't address; I don't care how powerful a computer is, it can't tweet without an internet connection. We don't know much about the system running the simulation, but it's a fair assumption that it isn't completely isolated. There's a few possibilities here, and only one of them actually makes it impossible to make that connection:
-The simulation is running on a central network for the invaders. As there's no way in hell said network doesn't have access to external communications SOMEHOW, that's what sim-Doctor can use.
-The simulation is running on a machine tangentially connected to the invaders' network, but has no other networking or communication capabilities. In that case sim-Doctor can't do it directly, but formulating a way to push that message through that single communication tunnel is very possible.
-The simulation is completely disconnected from all other computers, and can only be interfaced with in person. That does make it impossible, but you'd need to be exceptionally cautious to actually think to do this, and these are clearly not aliens being cautious enough to do that.

The real roadblock for this sort of thing in this case is getting incompatible technology to interact; we're talking about a computer made by currently unknown and unnamed aliens sending a message to what is presumably a homebrew system made by the Doctor. There's still a few ways to do this, but they'd require significant work. In this case it was an emulator--an application running within the simulation to imitate a standalone device. That's not so easy of course, but the aliens put that in the simulator themselves, so they solved the problem for him.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 22, 2017

• Locked thread