Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Having no idea who either of these people are because I am very new to this fighter game poo poo but, all I get from this video is that sonic is a little bitch and HoneyBee is 3x better than him. Playing as the flash, that's how much harder he is working, and he's good at it, again... sonic is a bitch, maybe just in this video, he a bitch, he's definitely better than me. Not what I'm saying, he a bitch, he's playing smart because flash doesn't have range, he a bitch, this is a strategic and smart play, he a bitch.

e
Bro, everyone that plays DS is freakin' annoyin' to watch.
Did you see Aries, the long bearded guy Twitch stream?
Aries, played DS live on stream and was fuckin' annoying as hell to watch! the chat was on his rear end, but Aries kept telling everyone "DS is a zoning character.."

Stream of consciousness posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
They are both incredible players. With that being said, Sonic could probably beat HoneyBee with a half dozen characters. Sonic is a NRS prodigy.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
he a bitch

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Back in my day he would have got beat outside the arcade

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

GL has three bfx inputs and it really tricks me off the low fireball is on the top button and the wall he makes to anti air is on the bottom button.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 22, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

WarEternal posted:

Lol, why does this video have so many views?

I think most, if not all, invincible wakeups are unsafe and able to be punished. I'm not sure what you mean by "guaranteed setup", there's ways to stuff invincible wakeups but you have to have dead-on timing and it's easier to just block if you're expecting them to wakeup. Sounds like you just have to learn the matchups re: punishing, sometimes you have to use a normal that moves you forward or reaches farther, or sometimes your character just might not be able to punish things that other characters can. If you gave an example of character you're using and special that should be punishable but you find yourself unable to, I could probably figure out something that works.

Basically just comes down to learning the characters and frame data, really.

Hilariously green lanterns ex wall wakeup is not only safe, but apparently plus on block as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Having no idea who either of these people are because I am very new to this fighter game poo poo but, all I get from this video is that sonic is a little bitch and HoneyBee is 3x better than him. Playing as the flash, that's how much harder he is working, and he's good at it, again... sonic is a bitch, maybe just in this video, he a bitch, he's definitely better than me. Not what I'm saying, he a bitch, he's playing smart because flash doesn't have range, he a bitch, this is a strategic and smart play, he a bitch.

e
Bro, everyone that plays DS is freakin' annoyin' to watch.
Did you see Aries, the long bearded guy Twitch stream?
Aries, played DS live on stream and was fuckin' annoying as hell to watch! the chat was on his rear end, but Aries kept telling everyone "DS is a zoning character.."

Source your quotes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Hilariously green lanterns ex wall wakeup is not only safe, but apparently plus on block as well.

idk why it never struck me to use that wall for wakeups, seems like that'd be the optimal use for it---I never use it otherwise. Giving him the meterburn gently caress-off beam was a great idea but also gotta love the bowling ball.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Source your quotes

a youtube

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spuckuk posted:

Well, yes, if you EX them then generally they are safe.

e: If anyone wants to play some in about 20 mins, I'm Demmonaz on PSN.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 22, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Never played ivy before but is she just stuck in place sometimes or is my controller hosed?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you enter her stance dd1 you're stuck until you leave it with u

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That's a relief!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hope in a future patch they give Ivy a QoL change of being able to buffer the stance exit during the recovery of her moves.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Widening the input buffer a little would be nice in general for special cancels, stuff like catwoman's dd3 can be really annoying.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Can someone elaborate a bit on what I'm supposed to learn with regards to frame advantage and how I'm supposed to use that knowledge.

Sometimes I punch a guy successfully and sometimes they punch me first, and my old man brain thinks the attacks are coming out at the same time. It seems like I get punished more when trying to attack on wake-up or right after whiffing, and things seem safer when we're at neutral and playing footsie. Is this fairly accurate? And how does blocking get thrown into the mix, just guessing that they're going to attack and the attack will be mid?

The game is fun but it doesn't give me a lot of ways to understand what's happening mechanically. Which is fine but I want to learn!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can someone elaborate a bit on what I'm supposed to learn with regards to frame advantage and how I'm supposed to use that knowledge.

Sometimes I punch a guy successfully and sometimes they punch me first, and my old man brain thinks the attacks are coming out at the same time. It seems like I get punished more when trying to attack on wake-up or right after whiffing, and things seem safer when we're at neutral and playing footsie. Is this fairly accurate? And how does blocking get thrown into the mix, just guessing that they're going to attack and the attack will be mid?

The game is fun but it doesn't give me a lot of ways to understand what's happening mechanically. Which is fine but I want to learn!

Here's a vid I made a long time ago about street fighter 5, the core concepts should carry over (except the part about link combos which Injustice doesn't allow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmVzilCDMiE&t=77s

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

So frame data is kind of a loaded subject, but if you do a search on Youtube there's going to be several videos out there that will give you a more comprehensive breakdown than I'm about to. That said, here's the short version:

Each attack has multiple "stages" I guess you would say, each with varying amounts of frames associated with them. You've got the amount of time a move takes to start up (startup), the amount of time the hurtbox on the move is active (active) and then how long it takes for your character to return to a neutral state (recovery).

Each attack also will generate what is referred to as advantage or disadvantage (positive or negative frames) depending on whether it's blocked or not. This is how long it takes for the opponent to recover to a neutral state, more or less.

As an example, say I throw out a move that is +5 on block and you block it. Even though we do the next attack at the exact same time, if I throw out a move that has a faster startup than 5 frames, it will beat yours clean every time. The exception to this being moves with armor or invincibility frames like a meter burned wake up move.

So really what it comes down to isn't that you are hitting the button faster than your opponent, it's that the move before left you at a frame disadvantage and his next move was able to come out before you were recovered.

Does that make any sense at all?

Edit: Watch the video above, he breaks it down much better.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 22, 2017

Kotal Kant
Jan 19, 2016

That DICK! posted:

I just asked for an invite

Feeling pretty despirited though cause I just spent a ton of time leveling Batman. I closed the game because I couldn't log into guilds to ask for an invite, and when I reopened it my batman and Harley lost a ton of levels. What gives? The game isn't saving for that long?

I had the same thing happen to me. Solution was to completely turn off the PS4 (off, not rest mode) and leave it alone for a few minutes (sounds crazy, I know).

Apparently some people even had to unplug theirs. I was skeptical, but sure enough, when I came back my Brainiac was back up to a proper LV 20.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The modifier with the rocket penguin is the silliest drat thing.

I wish when I have a player 2 for versus that the other player could use my loadouts. I feel bad looking all cool/ridiculous and customized when they're stuck on default.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you air burst after getting hit by a B3 online you're almost guaranteed to get a full counter hit punish because people are so muscle memoried into doing their bnbs that they just go through the motions even though you're not in the combo any more.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Great explanations, thanks folks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hup posted:

The modifier with the rocket penguin is the silliest drat thing.

I wish when I have a player 2 for versus that the other player could use my loadouts. I feel bad looking all cool/ridiculous and customized when they're stuck on default.

The fact that you can't have them use your stuff as a guest is ridiculous.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have you guys actually found any cosmetics worth using? Everything I've found so far has looked really tacky and lovely. Like, why would I want to ruin Superman's iconic costume by slapping a bunch of dumb metal plates onto it?

I hope they add more premiere skins. Those are rad.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

fadam posted:

Have you guys actually found any cosmetics worth using? Everything I've found so far has looked really tacky and lovely. Like, why would I want to ruin Superman's iconic costume by slapping a bunch of dumb metal plates onto it?

The low-level/low-rarity stuff is not always great, but some of the higher level/rarity items are cool. I got the Batfleck mask, a pair of sunglasses for Green Arrow, a ton of super old-school Superman logos, a Nightwing chest piece and a hood-down look for Robin, Harley's jester hat and her black/red N52 hair. Scarecrow has some amazing looking gear, and Bane has a ton of different masks. Swamp Thing loses his iconic look immediately when you start giving him gear, but he still looks rad as hell.

Though I agree that we need more premier skins. Ideally the majority of the roster would have at least one available.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All that stuff does sound pretty cool. Maybe I just haven't found anything good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of generic gear can def be sorted into the bin of "metal plates and dumb headbands" but a lot of non-kryptonian characters get ill poo poo. Joker gets to cosplay with all sorts of punk and circus poo poo, Batman has truckloads of different looks and armors, Atrocitus literally becomes satan and/or eldritch horrors. Green Lantern seems to have an infinite closet of groovy poo poo.

low end of the spectrum is definitely superman/girl's regal attire bullshit and probably Cheetah's garbage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I think it's more of a 'Superman will never be cool' problem

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh also I got Batman's "Fists of Injustice" which look to be his gear from the cover of the Ultimate Edition. Don't know how rare they are but I imagine it's pretty up there. The glow on them varies per shader used, usually white or yellow, a few make it green.

Hoping to find some other cool rare stuff as I keep leveling everyone. Trying to get the whole roster to 20 eventually. I'm way into the cosmetic stuff and the AI battling.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Someone play matches w/ me, PSN: Demmonaz.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

fadam posted:

I have Supergirl's gold circle headband of having purple lasers so that's about the coolest thing I have so far. Other than making atrocitus look like the bull in his super move.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've seen some sicknasty Scarecrow outfits in videos, one was a hood with a voodoo-style skull plate and stitched leather chestpiece and the other was a fedora, raggedy long coat and plague doctor's mask that was creepy as gently caress. His sets are incredible.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Mulloy posted:

I have Supergirl's gold circle headband of having purple lasers so that's about the coolest thing I have so far. Other than making atrocitus look like the bull in his super move.

I found the piece that gives the dang cat the giant bull horns

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So is there a particular discord we're hanging out in?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

I found the piece that gives the dang cat the giant bull horns

How can you post something like this without giving us a screenshot?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

McSpanky posted:

I've seen some sicknasty Scarecrow outfits in videos, one was a hood with a voodoo-style skull plate and stitched leather chestpiece and the other was a fedora, raggedy long coat and plague doctor's mask that was creepy as gently caress. His sets are incredible.

The Demon Shader looks loving great on all his stuff too.

So if the boss mission is 30/30 I'm just out of luck for it? I just got 20 on my first character last night

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The Demon Shader looks loving great on all his stuff too.

So if the boss mission is 30/30 I'm just out of luck for it? I just got 20 on my first character last night

poo poo, 30/30 already? Yeah, I think we're out of luck. We'll have to be ready for the next one.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if it's possible to reset training mode without pressing the touchpad? My stick doesn't have a touchpad on it....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pretty sure there's a menu option for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
'Complete 2 Area Transitions' mission on a map that has none.

• Locked thread