Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven't seen a Transformers movie all the way through and I'd like to keep it that way.

So what's the explanation for Shia's absence in these newer movies anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

To be fair, it's probably going to be 4 hours long. And they'll get away with it because 3 hour long movies always break $1 billion world wide. That extra hour will guarantee another 1/3 of a billion.

That's not how time works.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Too bad House of the Long Shadows didn't really work out. It was a Peter Walker film and had John Carradine, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven't seen a Transformers movie all the way through and I'd like to keep it that way.

None whatsoever I believe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

None really needed. There was no reason for him to be in any of the sequels really, it's a big planet with lots of humans for homicidal maniac robots to befriend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Too bad House of the Long Shadows didn't really work out. It was a Peter Walker film and had John Carradine, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
Didn't help that the transfer Amazon had on streaming was absolutely terrible. They spend so much of the movie creeping around in the dark so a poo poo transfer makes it so you'd be better off sitting there with the tv off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Transformers 1 had a nice simple story to it.

And then all hell broke loose.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Transformers 1 had a nice simple story to it.

And then all hell broke loose.

My memory is fuzzy but what happened to the vending machines and poo poo that turned into robots?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Jose Oquendo posted:

My memory is fuzzy but what happened to the vending machines and poo poo that turned into robots?

Violently and ruthlessly exterminated by the Autobots and US Military.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

He became less marketable.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Skwirl posted:

That's not how time works.

:thejoke:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

To be fair, it's probably going to be 4 hours long. And they'll get away with it because 3 hour long movies always break $1 billion world wide. That extra hour will guarantee another 1/3 of a billion.

Cant wait for the rerelease of Napoleon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Satantango and Shoah must have raked in mountains of cash.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The most important thing I need to know about the Universal Monster-verse: Will we be getting a reboot of Abbott and Costello? And will we be able to shake another Hemsworth out of Australia to play one?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

The most important thing I need to know about the Universal Monster-verse: Will we be getting a reboot of Abbott and Costello? And will we be able to shake another Hemsworth out of Australia to play one?

To play a what - an Abbott or a Costello?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Danny McBride and Michael Cera. Or some kid who's funny.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tiger posted:

To play a what - an Abbott or a Costello?

Obviously a Costello.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mecha Gojira posted:

Violently and ruthlessly exterminated by the Autobots and US Military.

I never thought about it, but did Optimus doom his entire planet by chucking the cube into space?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's definitely a binder on a desk with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's names written below 'Abbot / Costello'

8one6
May 20, 2012

Femur posted:

I never thought about it, but did Optimus doom his entire planet by chucking the cube into space?

Pretty much. Without it the planet couldn't do [magical bullshit] to make more transformers. The implications I've always read into it was that the Autobots were losing so Optimus chucked it as a 'gently caress You' to Megatron

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And this new movie is apparently about an artifact that can save their planet and it was on Earth all along. Said artifact might even be Excalibur.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wouldn't it make more sense to be the Holy Grail, what with it's legendary restorative power?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

well why not posted:

wouldn't it make more sense to be the Holy Grail, what with it's legendary restorative power?

I think you just put more thought into this than anyone on the writing team.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The sword as a phallic symbol as opposed to the grail as a yonic symbol, sells more toys

8one6
May 20, 2012

well why not posted:

laziest possible answer posted:

"Something...something... The Allspark was the origin of the grail myth... something...something..."
~Bob "9/11 was an inside job" Orci

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Transformers mythology, their most powerful artifact is actually a hammer. I don't know where that sits on the phallic/yonic scale. It did belong to a female robot, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There are just too many manchildren

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The sword as a phallic symbol as opposed to the grail as a yonic symbol, sells more toys

I know if I were a child I'd rather my fighting robots came with tools to help them fight better than cups.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

There's definitely a binder on a desk with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's names written below 'Abbot / Costello'

Did you ever see this? https://youtu.be/z5W8EBHNsLc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

I know if I were a child I'd rather my fighting robots came with tools to help them fight better than cups.

Screw you, Kup was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfL5uHN6wiU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yeah, Kup rules. Hot Rod's saving grace was becoming Roddimus Prime, otherwise he sucked.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've now seen the trailer for the new Transformers in theater a couple times now and I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around how much of a total clusterfuck it seems.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

Okay. I'm in with that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

yeah, Kup rules. Hot Rod's saving grace was becoming Roddimus Prime, otherwise he sucked.

Hot Rod was fun, he's an rear end in a top hat teenager. I do find the Gen 1 Roddimus to be a more compelling figure than Optimus. He's sarcastic and filled with a lot of doubt, but does the job anyway. I think he was unpopular because he's closer to reality than the idealized authority figure that Optimus Prime presented.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Tawny loving rules, he's my favourite. He's in part of Kingdom Come (or one of the tie-ins iirc) just drinking martinis in a metahuman bar, seeming sort of gruff and hard boiled.
They should make him the one character in the Captain Marvel movie who isn't really chipper and actually acts like all the other grimdark DC movie characters. It would be hilarious coming from a tiger in a suit.

In the same vein, everyone was talking about this in a GBS comics thread - where the gently caress is my Blue and Gold movie already DC :argh:

The original comics had him dealing with housing discrimination and job problems. A putupon Frasier predator. He has alot to complaing about it.

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, of the those three, Man from UNCLE had a strong comedic/parody element to it also. Even Spectre was pretty much the Daniel Craig Bond era's version of Austin Powers in how it's pretty much a stereotypical 60s Sean Connery Bond film plopped down into the super-serious 2010s.

Get Smart is an underrated movie. Saw that on a plane once, was surprised at how not terrible it was.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 23, 2017

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

well why not posted:

Either that or Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The only Optimus I need is Optimus Primal

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

SimonCat posted:

Hot Rod was fun, he's an rear end in a top hat teenager. I do find the Gen 1 Roddimus to be a more compelling figure than Optimus. He's sarcastic and filled with a lot of doubt, but does the job anyway. I think he was unpopular because he's closer to reality than the idealized authority figure that Optimus Prime presented.

Rodimus was sort of a jerk, in one episode they go to a lost pacifist Autobot colony that needs help from Decepticon invasion and basically caused the entire planet to be destroyed thanks to escalating violence, then he tells the survivors that Cybertron is better anyway.

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 23, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Optimal Optimus was cool, but Optimus Primal also brought the black goo from Prometheus to Cybertron and pulled an Alien Covenant on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Fried Watermelon posted:

Beast Wars Primal was a good leader. That show was a good kids show.

• Locked thread