Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Great Autismo! posted:

am i on your ignore list

such a lonely feeling :ohdear:

posting in the void

of darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm traumatized by the tianjin airport, the restaurants, and the movie theatre experience but oh well.

Jin wan is actually a pretty kitschy but still nice river side area.

Jeoh is actually pretty nice in person though. He helped organized the Dutch goon meet and got people from all over the loving country to meet up. Maybe they were fascinated with this weirdo from Asia but man Dutch goons were fun dorks as well.

And jeoh sends me constant post cards and love letters. Now my mom is worried and questions may sexuality.

Oh and I'm going to Chengdu. Let's do Friday night food night because I too want to leave Sunday morning 7am. drat it Cathay your price tag is double Hong Kong air for a 830am flight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My coworker is such a southerner. He needs to drink quality Chinese soup with his Chinese meals. Doesn't really do lamb, and needs to eat a variety of food and not just a plate of dumplings.

Some of our tianjin associates love coming down south and eat canto food and he too is sick of the north. Talks about old uncles who have a complex and act all big and tough, being obnoxious with alcohol, smoking inside restaurants and being loud.

Ugh

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
poo poo I'm going to wake up early tomorrow and get yelled at by clients for not lowering my prices enough

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Abe you have to post the Goatxi

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeoh posted:

maybe going away is the gift to them and they're just reciprocating

:drat:

Any recommendations on jiaozi or dim sum restaurants/cool bars for when I arrive in Beijing? I have about a week to get myself settled before the program I'm on starts, so I'm excited to do some exploration when I get there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bao yuan jiaozi is pretty good. And I tried shi's too. One is more of a restaurant and the other a late night stop. Wanna come to goon meet Thursday night?
Add my wechat caberham

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't eat dim sum in beijing and don't eat jiaozi in hk

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

And jeoh sends me constant post cards and love letters. Now my mom is worried and questions may sexuality.

lol too late

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

caberham posted:

My coworker is such a southerner. He needs to drink quality Chinese soup with his Chinese meals. Doesn't really do lamb, and needs to eat a variety of food and not just a plate of dumplings.

Some of our tianjin associates love coming down south and eat canto food and he too is sick of the north. Talks about old uncles who have a complex and act all big and tough, being obnoxious with alcohol, smoking inside restaurants and being loud.

this just sounds normal ?!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I never order soup when going out and my Chinese friends get mad about the lack of soup.

When I do order soup some people take half a bowl and we waste 90% of it.

I can never win with soup.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

I never order soup when going out and my Chinese friends get mad about the lack of soup.

When I do order soup some people take half a bowl and we waste 90% of it.

I can never win with soup.

Not if it's Hong Kong soup :smug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

caberham posted:

Bao yuan jiaozi is pretty good. And I tried shi's too. One is more of a restaurant and the other a late night stop. Wanna come to goon meet Thursday night?
Add my wechat caberham

Sure, that sounds great! I should be able to get my bearings relatively quickly, just need to figure out what my first week's schedule is going to look like. :)

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

caberham posted:

old uncles who have a complex and act all big and tough, being obnoxious with alcohol, smoking inside restaurants and being loud.

Ugh
This is me irl

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I'm a US citizen trying to get a visa to China.

Is it enough to show a ticket for follow on travel? or does my itinerary actually have to show me going back to my home country?

I'm planning on flying into Shanghai from Taiwan and then go on to Mongolia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You just need the exit ticket. The biggest thing you need to show is your wallet, though. I've never heard of an American getting turned down for a tourist visa just don't like staple a picture of the Dalai Lama to your application or something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also get a 72 hour transit visa fee of charge in big Chinese cities as long as you have proof of exit

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Kthx. I hear 4 days is normal turnaround time for visa. Is that accurate?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

just don't like staple a picture of the Dalai Lama to your application or something.

Actually, do this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I like beer and China and I dislike Korea and Hong Kongers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Howard Phillips posted:

It depends on what you're willing to pay. I've only applied in Korea but at the visa centers there you could get it same day, next day, two days, or like a week I think? The shorter the time the more expensive it was.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

They can do same-day/next day for an extra fee. You can do this at any Chinese visa processing center/embassy, in my experience. I've done it in HK, Korea, and the US.

e: I didn't directly answer your question, sorry. I have never had it take 4 days exactly, but have always gotten it within the first three, so it sounds legit.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I like beer and China and I dislike Korea and Hong Kongers.

you suck

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Goon question: are there internet lounges in China where you can rent time to play video games (eg Overwatch) like in Korea?

I'm not bringing my desktop PC (it's rather old now and I should build a new one anyways), but I'd like to do some gaming every now and then while I'm over there. :shobon:

Also, for further into the future: is it recommended to build a PC in China, given how viruses are apparently rampant on Chinese LANs? Can you order computer parts from, say, Taiwan or Japan and have them shipped to the mainland to build yourself? It's not an immediate concern, just curious.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Why the heck would you order parts from Japan and import them?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Goon question: are there internet lounges in China where you can rent time to play video games (eg Overwatch) like in Korea?

I'm not bringing my desktop PC (it's rather old now and I should build a new one anyways), but I'd like to do some gaming every now and then while I'm over there. :shobon:

Also, for further into the future: is it recommended to build a PC in China, given how viruses are apparently rampant on Chinese LANs? Can you order computer parts from, say, Taiwan or Japan and have them shipped to the mainland to build yourself? It's not an immediate concern, just curious.

good news, you're in the right thread

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fart simpson posted:

Why the heck would you order parts from Japan and import them?

I dunno, better reputation for quality of manufacturing I guess? v:v:v

Obviously I don't know diddly about ordering electronics in the mainland, but it's something I'll figure out. I'm still used to American voltage and prongs as it is.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's newegg.cn

And all the Japanese parts are actually made from Taiwan dudes.

And yes there are LAN cafes but are linked to your id. Unfortunately blizzard china and dota china aren't linked

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I would bring stuff from where you are. In China and Japan especially PC parts like GPU/etc are generally more expensive than in Europe and North America for whatever stupid logistics/tax reason even though they're all made in either China or SEA generally. HK probably has the best prices, but again you're buying basically the same exact stuff. The stuff in China is fine if you're buying parts since PC parts are actually a decent sized enthusiast market here. Every PSU since forever ago isn't gonna care what voltage you put in it, so don't worry about that. The only new thing you'll need is that wire from the back of your GPU/Monitor to a plug and those cost like 10 cents here.

Quick edit: GPUs and CPUs get priced up the most here compared to North America, motherboards are also a bit higher but not as marked up as the other two. PSUs, Cases, etc... are generally fine. Cases can even be lower here sometimes. RAM is also a little more expensive but still relatively cheap.

If you're planning on building one anyway, GPUs and CPUs aren't that big and there are >$100~ savings if you bring them over depending on what you're looking on getting. 1060's in China are the price of 1070's in the US, and 1070's even more... and I haven't checked CPUs in a while but they were also on average like 30-60 USD more here than off of Newegg or Amazon in the US when I last did check.

Newegg.cn is kinda bad for PC parts in China, weirdly enough it's more for appliances. JD.com is better and Taobao can be even better-er at the risk of being sketchier. The best deals I've found are actually going to a computer market and negotiating the whole PC. Last time I did that with my current box I saved like 15% of the cheapest stuff I could find online/elsewhere. Still cost more than if I'd brought parts from the US, though.

LAN cafes are plentiful but everything is account based, so they have Steam and Battlenet and FF14 installed but you need to log in with your account that you pay for elsewhere (they do sometimes sell point cards for certain services like battlenet though). It isn't like Korea where they sell you time for a game.

However, frustratingly like Korea is that most online servers are totally separate so that means you need to buy overwatch from Blizzard.cn and that's 100% separate from any other accounts you have. League of Legends and stuff also do this. Overwatch costs like 25 bucks here, it's about the only non-F2P game that does well on PC in China.

Steam does has domestic servers and you can just use your normal account though so that's fine. I downloaded Bayonetta at like 8mbps the other day so it's not that bad speed wise.

As long as you're not stupid you're probably fine with viruses. My windows machine is basically just a game box with no vital or un-backed up data, so if it does get a virus I wouldn't be too bothered, but since I've been in China I've just stayed up to date and had an antivirus and been fine.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 18, 2017

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey China bros

I've posted a few times ITT in the past about teaching in China, and I finally actually have a TESOL qualification so I'm starting to think actually seriously about making the move. As someone with only a few months teaching experience where should I realistically be looking to live/teach? I understand that the tier 1 cities might be too competitive for an entry level teacher to find a non lovely job, and I think I'd prefer tier 2 anyway. Is that realistic or will I actually need to start out even smaller?

Also considering most of the rest of east/southeast Asia tbh so any opinions on where the places to go these days are in general would be good too

edit: I looked over some conversation I had before in here and remembered talking about English First as a potential first job. Following on from that, as a new teacher is it probably my best bet to go with some big company like EF that takes on newbies, rather than scouring somewhere like Dave's ESL cafe? Obviously a lot of the jobs ask for 2 years experience right off the bat, but some don't

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 23, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Hey China bros

I've posted a few times ITT in the past about teaching in China, and I finally actually have a TESOL qualification so I'm starting to think actually seriously about making the move. As someone with only a few months teaching experience where should I realistically be looking to live/teach? I understand that the tier 1 cities might be too competitive for an entry level teacher to find a non lovely job, and I think I'd prefer tier 2 anyway. Is that realistic or will I actually need to start out even smaller?

Also considering most of the rest of east/southeast Asia tbh so any opinions on where the places to go these days are in general would be good too

edit: I looked over some conversation I had before in here and remembered talking about English First as a potential first job. Following on from that, as a new teacher is it probably my best bet to go with some big company like EF that takes on newbies, rather than scouring somewhere like Dave's ESL cafe? Obviously a lot of the jobs ask for 2 years experience right off the bat, but some don't

If I were planning on staying in China after this school year ends, I'd absolutely head for a Tier 1 city.

Don't worry about teaching experience, it won't matter as much as it should. If you've been teaching in your home country, it'll be a vastly different situation and you'll need a whole different set of skills here. Patience, flexibility, perkiness, and the ability to multitask will get you farther than anything else, at least at first.

I have no knowledge of English First except that they're a huge chain, so if you want to be in a Tier 1 city with little experience, that might just be the way to do it!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

To find my first job I used tefl.com and cross-checked it with tefl balcklist (probably long-defunct) to make sure it was okay. I applied for anything and everything in my countries of choice that looked appealing (I guess you could also add city). Same CV, fresh covering letter for each application, so I could pump out a lot of applications in a day. No degree, no experience, just applied anyway (what were they gonna say, "no"? The same as I'd get by not applying?). I still found a job in less than a month at a school that wasn't terrible (I was waaaay too much of a pushover, kept worrying about a reference at the end of it rather than saying no to stuff I didn't want to do). Had I stood my ground more I'd probably have had less bullshit but I still had a fantastic time and even saved a bit of money.

English First I've heard some bad things about, but then again, nothing terrible. They're big and have a track record by now so I suppose they will have a lot of resources for lessons (both pre-made and for custom-making) and support ideas for teachers who struggle.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

English First I've heard some bad things about, but then again, nothing terrible. They're big and have a track record by now so I suppose they will have a lot of resources for lessons (both pre-made and for custom-making) and support ideas for teachers who struggle.

On this, EF has a huge amount of impressive online resources. The online videos are drat cheesy, but combined with voice recognition, multiple choice questions and short answer sections, it's really good. EF are also very particular with students turning up on time to lessons, signing them in, and students booking level appropriate lessons.

However, student advancement in EF seems to be purely a function of how long you've been paying, so there's no guarantee that if you're teaching an advanced class, all the students can understand you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Trammel posted:

However, student advancement in EF seems to be purely a function of how long you've been paying, so there's no guarantee that if you're teaching an advanced class, all the students can understand you.

This is the same for eikaiwa, by the way (Japanese equivalent of a training school) and as annoying as it can be, it probably won't reflect on you.

Trammel, EF actually sounds pretty decent based on what you're saying!

e: Also, what simplefish said about checking blacklists and other teacher sites...do that. Do it as much as possible. Do it even if the information is a couple years old. Do it before you apply, and if you absolutely can't wait, do it before you sign anything. And, if at all possible, try to speak with a foreign teacher who works there or has worked there.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 23, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The only consistent thing about EF I've heard is every branch is very different. It seems like it's totally at the whim of the franchise owner if it's hell (I heard this a lot from friends who worked there in Hangzhou) or decent. Even different branches in the same city seem to vary.

I've also heard the corporate-run ones which I think are only in like Shanghai and Beijing are really well run and have better benefits/etc...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My Fiance taught in EF as a local teacher. She learned quite a bit but quickly got out of EF and moved up the "career ladder"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think training schools/eikaiwa/hagwon/whatever else they may be called are a good stepping stone. You get some EXP, make some friends, get a feel for the work culture of the country. Then you can take that knowledge and experience and find a job that is perhaps better-suited to your personality.

In my case, my first teaching job was an eikaiwa gig in Japan. I learned that I do not like teaching adults and am much better with either high school students or very young learners. I don't like dealing with parents and I have no patience for stupid complaints ("The teacher wears too much black" is one of my favorites). I don't want to teach anyone over the age of 6 who didn't choose to be in my classes. I don't mind working weekends or odd hours, but hate split shifts. When I decided not to renew my contract, I considered all my preferences and chose a job that was much more to my liking for my next gig.

tl;dr- You're gonna learn a lot no matter where you teach, and that's useful. :downs:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If I were planning on staying in China after this school year ends, I'd absolutely head for a Tier 1 city.

Chengdu is a tier 1 city. :buddy:

Is there a particular reason you chose China or do you just want to go anywhere for a year? China's not the most pleasant place to live in general. However if you are looking to make an actual career of this it's probably the best option, there's a lot of positions and room for advancement here compared with the neighbors. But if you're just looking for a year abroad I'd consider somewhere less lovely, like Japan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You actually need some solid experience, but these guys are legit

https://www.searchassociates.com/

I know someone who taught at a local kindergarden in Hong Kong at a "fake international" school but after 2 years search associates was pretty helpful in finding a better paying job in china.

She will be sent to some boring suburb enclave north of Shenzhen but at least the school is considered decent, 25k pay, cheap rent, and annual airfare return. Pretty good for someone not really certified to teach at a international school

caberham fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Grand Fromage posted:

Chengdu is a tier 1 city. :buddy:

Is there a particular reason you chose China or do you just want to go anywhere for a year? China's not the most pleasant place to live in general. However if you are looking to make an actual career of this it's probably the best option, there's a lot of positions and room for advancement here compared with the neighbors. But if you're just looking for a year abroad I'd consider somewhere less lovely, like Japan.
I'm pretty open to teaching anywhere in south/southeast Asia but from reading around I got the impression that Japan and Korea were both now quite hard to get into (public schools anyway re: Korea) and not as good as they once were for ESL teachers. It also seemed more realistic to live in a decent sized city in China than in either of those places, but I know I can be wrong about stuff like this! There's a lot of conflicting or outdated information everywhere.