Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Good, I think I just needed someone to put my mind at ease. Also I finally ordered the Dowco Weatherall like I should have before winter. They're on sale right now, too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HS1356/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495491590&sr=sr-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh 2 years old? It looks like a bilt one, too. That's normal and fine.

Also, bilt covers for life because you don't want anyone to think there is anything worth stealing under it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

rip it some and cut it some and see if the ripped edges look like the cut edges

thats how they do it on csi try it

M42
Nov 12, 2012

dowco weatheralls are really good!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's how ripstop usually fails. Tents/rainflies do it that way, anyhow.

Coydog posted:

Oh 2 years old? It looks like a bilt one, too. That's normal and fine.

Also, bilt covers for life because you don't want anyone to think there is anything worth stealing under it.
The basic Bilt cover is one of the best Cycle Gear things I've ever gotten. Mine has seen several winters and summers and aside from being kind of dingy now, it's still waterproof and practically bombproof.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't know....... that looks like way too clean of a cut. I have a deteriorating cover now (also cheap) and the rips created by degradation due to UV exposure are a lot more ragged than that, like tears instead of cuts. Mine is (or, was) made out of some kind of green plastic/vinyl with soft backing.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need to replace something on my little Honda CB300F but I'm not sure where I'd typically get the best deals. Do I go through my local motorsports dealer? The nearest Honda dealer? eBay? Amazon? I guess more generally, where are the best places to start my search for OEM replacement parts?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

IAmKale posted:

I need to replace something on my little Honda CB300F but I'm not sure where I'd typically get the best deals. Do I go through my local motorsports dealer? The nearest Honda dealer? eBay? Amazon? I guess more generally, where are the best places to start my search for OEM replacement parts?

I usually go to Ron Ayers. They have brand-rear end new OEM parts for most Japanese bikes, and they ship pretty quickly. Ebay is a good place to try too, they have randoms selling parts they took off their bikes. You can get used but super cheap parts for nearly anything. If you don't know what the part is called, or the part number, go to Ron Ayers and look through the parts fiche for your bike.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

McLarenF1 posted:

Are there any Seattle goons out there who like to take long weekend rides in the mountains?

Yer Harvey tainted

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Yer Harvey tainted

It never washes off

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I prefer to think of them as battle scars :colbert:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is there a overwhelming reason to get a motorcycle-specific GPS over a handheld like the GPSMAP 64? It's waterproof, $200+ less, and I would think buttons would be more dependable than a touchscreen.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

IAmKale posted:

I use motosport, formerly kneedraggers, for everything. I like the prices and cash forward, but stay with them for the customer service. Shipping is good too. My 2 cents, I'm sure there's better probably, but eh.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slide Hammer posted:

I don't know....... that looks like way too clean of a cut. I have a deteriorating cover now (also cheap) and the rips created by degradation due to UV exposure are a lot more ragged than that, like tears instead of cuts. Mine is (or, was) made out of some kind of green plastic/vinyl with soft backing.

Without knowing exactly the construction of that cover, I've got a few Kelty rainflies in my garage right now awaiting repair that look like they've been cut with fancy fabric scissors. Something about the weave of super lightweight ripstop just makes them fail in perfectly straight lines, and every now and then they even throw in a perfect right angle turn.

Not to say that Dutymode's cover wasn't absolutely cut, but they definitely can rip on their own under wind and age without any fraying or raggedness at all.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A recent trip to Europe has inspired me to start using Yamaha Zuma again...it's been sitting for about two years.

I didn't take any measures before letting it sit, what all should I have done to get it going again? It still turns over/starts just fine.

Also, the screws that let you top up the brake fluid are totally rusted over. Will a generic option like this fit my bike?

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Master-Cylinder-Mirror-Scooter/dp/B00AMAHJ6Q

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rock My Socks! posted:

A recent trip to Europe has inspired me to start using Yamaha Zuma again...it's been sitting for about two years.

I didn't take any measures before letting it sit, what all should I have done to get it going again? It still turns over/starts just fine.

Also, the screws that let you top up the brake fluid are totally rusted over. Will a generic option like this fit my bike?

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Master-Cylinder-Mirror-Scooter/dp/B00AMAHJ6Q

Take the carb out and clean it. Much better than a lovely genetic MC is to just drill the screws and replace them instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh if it starts and runs just fine I wouldn't gently caress with the carb. The gas running through it will clean out any varnish that might be there pretty quickly. If it jams up from grit, well, then's the time to take it apart.

Check the tires for cracks, dry rot, nails, etc. Look up how to read a tire's date code, find out how old yours are, and replace them if they're more than 5 years old regardless of how they look. Make sure the suspension (such that there is) and steering doesn't bind and that the brakes work correctly. Look for any signs of fluids dripping out and check the levels of everything. Get the battery tested if you feel like it. Other than that there isn't a lot to go wrong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Eh if it starts and runs just fine I wouldn't gently caress with the carb. The gas running through it will clean out any varnish that might be there pretty quickly. If it jams up from grit, well, then's the time to take it apart.

After two years' sitting I'm inclined to disagree. I've never seen a bike sit for that long and not have some brutal carb clogging but could happen I guess?

But listen to this man otherwise:

Sagebrush posted:

Check the tires for cracks, dry rot, nails, etc. Look up how to read a tire's date code, find out how old yours are, and replace them if they're more than 5 years old regardless of how they look. Make sure the suspension (such that there is) and steering doesn't bind and that the brakes work correctly. Look for any signs of fluids dripping out and check the levels of everything. Get the battery tested if you feel like it. Other than that there isn't a lot to go wrong

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite test to just shake it violently and bounce up and down seated on it. Any rattles should be diagnosed. Squeaks are ok

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fauxtool posted:

My favorite test to just shake it violently and bounce up and down seated on it. Any rattles should be diagnosed. Squeaks are ok

This is a good test.

Also slam some loving seafoam in that thing and get wot on it. Scooters are robust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah sea foam the crap out of it. My winterization process now involves running sea foam through in the first tank of spring just to catch any crud from winter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not sure that Seafoam does anything other than make a big smoke show and convince you it's doing something.

It's like the automotive equivalent of those "cleansing" diets that just make you poop a lot

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Tips on getting that brownish rust off an exhaust system?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not sure that Seafoam does anything other than make a big smoke show and convince you it's doing something.

It's like the automotive equivalent of those "cleansing" diets that just make you poop a lot

I don't see how seafoam can cause anything but harm if you're dealing with a CV carb.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

pooping alot is pretty good for your general health. It wouldn't help if you are already regular but so many people arent.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yall got a good video on revmatching? Youtubing it just gives me idiotic vlogs that are 99% some moron talking unrelated poo poo for 15 mins interspersed with garbage advice. I'm trying to get a decent visual guide for two newbies. It's a bit hard to show them while sitting on the bike.

tjones
May 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Yall got a good video on revmatching? Youtubing it just gives me idiotic vlogs that are 99% some moron talking unrelated poo poo for 15 mins interspersed with garbage advice. I'm trying to get a decent visual guide for two newbies. It's a bit hard to show them while sitting on the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Wx4YrZ55I&t=3549s

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
A friend's bike was dropped and the clutch lever perch sheared off the master cylinder. We put on a random other clutch MC we had lying around, and it worked fine during a half-hour test ride. Then during a longer ride, the clutch started slipping. We checked the fluid level, and put on another lever (the one that belongs with the MC, instead of the fancier aftermarket one we was using with the MC that broke). This fixed the problem, and we assumed that the incorrect lever in combination with the engine getting up to temperature was the culprit. The next day, same thing, clutch starts slipping after about 45 mins of riding. This time we removed the lever and had him ride around without a clutch at all, and in that case, no slippage. Any idea what's up?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

A friend's bike was dropped and the clutch lever perch sheared off the master cylinder. We put on a random other clutch MC we had lying around, and it worked fine during a half-hour test ride. Then during a longer ride, the clutch started slipping. We checked the fluid level, and put on another lever (the one that belongs with the MC, instead of the fancier aftermarket one we was using with the MC that broke). This fixed the problem, and we assumed that the incorrect lever in combination with the engine getting up to temperature was the culprit. The next day, same thing, clutch starts slipping after about 45 mins of riding. This time we removed the lever and had him ride around without a clutch at all, and in that case, no slippage. Any idea what's up?

Usually if it's going to poo poo when riding / hot it's the slave cylinder.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Symptoms: front brake spongy, but only sometimes. Inconsistent, not like air bubble where pull gets harder after the first time. Been bled to hell and back at the mc, at the calipers, tapped all over. Is this a sign that I need to rebuild the mc, or is there just some real rear end in a top hat bubble somewhere?

Thank.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

M42 posted:

Symptoms: front brake spongy, but only sometimes. Inconsistent, not like air bubble where pull gets harder after the first time. Been bled to hell and back at the mc, at the calipers, tapped all over. Is this a sign that I need to rebuild the mc, or is there just some real rear end in a top hat bubble somewhere?

Thank.

I've had something like that:
-Brakes sometimes soft on first pull after starting the bike, second pull they were fine
-Sometimes a soft pull here and there after riding for a while
-During a track day went extremely soft, probably boiling fluid
-Dealer couldn't reproduce it but gave me a new MC under warranty, didn't fix it.

Only thing I can think of, is that it was due to the cheap eBay brake levers I was using, I've heard of those ever so slightly engaging the front brake, leading to overheating fluid. But that didn't really fit my symptoms, and I sold the bike (with the original levers mounted) before I could mess around with it any further.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Nothing like watching instructional videos to remind me that I'm a terrible rider and that my commute is allowing me to get away with and reinforce bad habits.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Nothing like watching instructional videos to remind me that I'm a terrible rider and that my commute is allowing me to get away with and reinforce bad habits.

:hfive: you and me both.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Thank.

Is this your gixxer, and is it the OEM MC? Those MCs had a massive recall on them.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah, R1 mc on the sv. I swapped to it when i did the handlebar install. I did have to fill up brand new empty brake lines, so it's possible I just did it poorly... but the inconsistency is a bit weird if it's an air bubble

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Z3n posted:

To go back to the earlier tire plug conversation - I was a true believer in the mushroom type plugs but they have one major flaw - they're not self vulcanizing so if they're up against a cord in the tire, the cord will eventually saw through the plug. You also can't jam multiple plugs into a large hole or split like you can with the rope type ones, so these days I use the rope type. There was a Japanese company that made a self vulcanizing mushroom plug but they seem to have gone out of business :(

http://www.maruni-ind.co.jp/en/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/STICK-QUIK-PLUG.pdf

If these are the guys you're talking about, the latest news item on their home page was in April.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is a good place to get quality bearings? I need wheel bearings for the elite. Everything on amazon and eBay seems to be Chinese garbage. Ronayers doesn't stock the ones i need, but I can't find non-dodgy suppliers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

McMaster-Carr?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Seconding McMaster-Carr, I've also had luck with VXB stuff fulfilled through Amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Good call hadn't thought of McMaster Carr