Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so happy the CA GOP is a mess and people like dead reckoning have very little voice in the state government

im glad for people like dead reckoning and pete wilson being stupid enough to try with prop 187 and have it backfire so hard they've become complete marginalized since then

like their evil ideas backfired so hard it's delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Telsa Cola posted:

That sounds like the exact type of sound bite that is taken out of context and makes scientists and academics wary about talking to the press.

I actually know Lucy, and yeah, it almost certainly is. Like, thats the correct answer for a worst case scenario, but worst case scenarios aren't the likeliest scenarios. Not to say the big one won't be bad, but this is a very different state than it was for the Loma Prieta EQ, there has been a ton of work done for reinforce important infrastructure and buildings. Not enough, but still, tons of work

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The worst fallout from the next big quake will likely be in the suburbs. There are million lovely tract homes and McMansions practically on top of the fault these days and many of them are in exurbs far from emergency services, surrounded by brushfire country, and with only a few connecting roads. It could be bad.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duckbag posted:

So you're just a horrible person huh?
It was a joke. That's what this means: :v:
Because "you disagree with me, so I bet you think all taxation is theft" didn't deserve anything more.

Duckbag posted:

Interstate commerce and healthcare intersect in interesting ways that I don't know much about, but I haven't seen much of an argument for why it would be a deal breaker. Pretty much everyone I've read discussing why the Vermont plan failed brought up the fact that it's a state that's​ not used to such large social programs and also most Vermonters live about an hour drive from an out-of-state hospital. As for negotiating with providers, California has 12% of the US population. Vermont has about 0.2%. Isn't it reasonable to assume that one will have a whole hell of a lot more leverage than the other?
The primary reason Vermont's plan failed is that it was passed without a means to pay for it, and the legislative analyst's take was that it would have devoured over 50% of the state budget. There was no way to pay for it without cost controls or raising taxes. The former has not been successfully achieved, and the latter was onerous and unsustainable.

Interstate commerce is a problem because it means the state level health care market has a very low barrier to entry and exit. It is hard for a doctor from Canada to pull up stakes, get citizenship in a new country, get board certified in a new country, and set up a new practice. On the other hand, if you tell every MD and nurse in Cali that they need to take a 40% pay cut in the name of cost controls, they can just move to another state, some of which already have reciprocal licensing agreements with the Medical Board of California.

The same applies to drug pricing and other cost sources; if California demands that drug companies pay rock bottom prices, the drug companies can simply choose to not sell in California and survive on the other 88% of the market. Once California commits to single payer, it creates an entitlement: the state commits itself to having to provide certain drugs to its citizens, but the companies producing them are not obliged to sell to California. In fact it may be in their interest to avoid undercutting their prices in other markets, and either way, California has to blink first. Furthermore, California would not be a unified market. For example, everyone with VA benefits would be part of a different pricing scheme.

Even assuming California manages to successfully negotiate as a bloc, it's not certain that sufficient cost savings sufficient to make the plan affordable could actually be realized: the CBO studied an attempt to repeal the "non-interference" clause, which would have let Medicare negotiate directly with drug companies, and found that the effect on prices would be "negligible."

Ron Jeremy posted:

Could that be softened if only primary care were included in universal single payer st first? Kind of like how well baby checkups are free to make sure everyone goes?
I have no idea. Maybe, but I think universal primary care without a drug benefit would leave a lot of people out to dry, and if you want to do a drug benefit too, you may as well rip the whole band aid off. I'd like to hear a professional economist's take on your idea though.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 23, 2017

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Duckbag posted:

The worst fallout from the next big quake will likely be in the suburbs. There are million lovely tract homes and McMansions practically on top of the fault these days and many of them are in exurbs far from emergency services, surrounded by brushfire country, and with only a few connecting roads. It could be bad.

Where are you getting this information? Single and 2-story wood frame houses are quite earthquake resistant.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Where are you getting this information? Single and 2-story wood frame houses are quite earthquake resistant.

I would imagine the city would have it worse with all the old buildings.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

You're right, I'm more worried about fires though. SoCal frame houses have a terrible track record with fires and fires are frequently the main danger in big earthquakes. A lot of downed power lines in fire season with roads disrupted could get out of control very quickly.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I guess that depends on how new the neighborhood is. Underground power lines and early 2000's homes have fire sprinklers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Isn't Pechanga literally built on top of the San Andreas Fault?

EDIT: No, it's San Manuel that on the San Andreas.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 24, 2017

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I would imagine the city would have it worse with all the old buildings.

Yes, kind of like dam safety, retrofitting is seemingly always lagging behind because the people responsible are playing cost-benefit RPG.

When Anderson Dam was full this year, it was hard not to think of the situation as Russian Roulette. That bad boy is an earthen dam right on top of a fault, uphill from San Jose.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbag posted:

You're right, I'm more worried about fires though. SoCal frame houses have a terrible track record with fires and fires are frequently the main danger in big earthquakes. A lot of downed power lines in fire season with roads disrupted could get out of control very quickly.

They're also much more spaced out, fires aren't that big of an issue.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even assuming California manages to successfully negotiate as a bloc, it's not certain that sufficient cost savings sufficient to make the plan affordable could actually be realized: the CBO studied an attempt to repeal the "non-interference" clause, which would have let Medicare negotiate directly with drug companies, and found that the effect on prices would be "negligible."

quote:

Section 2 of the bill would strike the clause of the noninterference provision that prohibits the Secretary from interfering in those negotiations. It would retain the clause that prohibits the Secretary from requiring a particular formulary or price structure, and it would allow PDPs to negotiate prices that are lower than those obtained by the Secretary.
CBO estimates that modifying the noninterference provision would have a negligible effect on federal spending because we anticipate that under the bill the Secretary would lack the leverage to negotiate prices across the broad range of covered Part D drugs that are more favorable than those obtained by PDPs under current law. Without the authority to establish a formulary or other tools to reduce drug prices, we believe that the Secretary would not obtain significant discounts from drug manufacturers across a broad range of drugs.

I don't think that's the knockout blow you're claiming it is.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

They're also much more spaced out, fires aren't that big of an issue.

And a lot of the space in between is full of dry chaparral. This is just a gut feeling thing for me and definitely not something I've researched in depth, but SoCal gets at least one devastating wildfire most years anyway and an earthquake in fire season has the potential to not only start several fires at once, but it could also seriously damage the road and water infrastructure needed to seriously fight them.

The SoCal portion of the fault runs right through the Inland Empire in regions that are already incredibly dry and, what's more, have grown very quickly over recent decades (often with building standards going unenforced), and infrastructure -- especially water infrastructure -- that has struggled to keep up. San Bernardino, in particular, is practically right on the fault, so a major quake could potentially knock over even "safe" buildings and create a nightmare firestorm at the same time.

I also worry a bit about the North Coast because there are a lot of little towns along the fault that are quite far from emergency services and climate change has made the region much more susceptible to wildfires than it used to be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The wild urban interface is a huge and growing fire risk. A regular conflagration in that space can kill dozens and that's with fully functional water, transportation and communication infrastructure. The increasing number of days per year we will spend in high fire risk increases the likelihood a major earthquake occurs during high fire risk.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Shouldn't things like backburning (I think that's what its called) be emphasized in areas most vulnerable, so just in case there is another 1906 type earthquake it doesn't end up burning half the state down in the process?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Shouldn't things like backburning (I think that's what its called) be emphasized in areas most vulnerable, so just in case there is another 1906 type earthquake it doesn't end up burning half the state down in the process?

Untrained people setting backfires to protect their property without regard to an overall plan for managing the fire is maybe the worst possible idea.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, that's probably what Panfilo meant. Untrained people.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well of course, why wouldn't we assume the worst possible interpretation?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well I mean the alternative is that he's a layperson who thinks he's in a position to give CalFire and local FDs/EMSAs his opinions on how to best manage fires. :shrug:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Where did you get the impression that he was doing that?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was assuming some fire department/state agency was going to do this, not some goober with a gas can and a BBQ lighter dude.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well I mean the alternative is that he's a layperson who thinks he's in a position to give CalFire and local FDs/EMSAs his opinions on how to best manage fires. :shrug:

God drat if you think everyone operates on the two extreme ends of anything then that explains a lot.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I was assuming some fire department/state agency was going to do this, not some goober with a gas can and a BBQ lighter dude.

Oh, so you're one of those statists who thinks only the government can stop wildfires. :rolleyes:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Oh, so you're one of those statists who thinks only the government can stop wildfires. :rolleyes:

Sorry, apparently all the Libertarians in California were too busy stockpiling guns to bother with fire suppression equipment, so the state will have to do :negative:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbag posted:

And a lot of the space in between is full of dry chaparral. This is just a gut feeling thing for me and definitely not something I've researched in depth, but SoCal gets at least one devastating wildfire most years anyway and an earthquake in fire season has the potential to not only start several fires at once, but it could also seriously damage the road and water infrastructure needed to seriously fight them.

The SoCal portion of the fault runs right through the Inland Empire in regions that are already incredibly dry and, what's more, have grown very quickly over recent decades (often with building standards going unenforced), and infrastructure -- especially water infrastructure -- that has struggled to keep up. San Bernardino, in particular, is practically right on the fault, so a major quake could potentially knock over even "safe" buildings and create a nightmare firestorm at the same time.

I also worry a bit about the North Coast because there are a lot of little towns along the fault that are quite far from emergency services and climate change has made the region much more susceptible to wildfires than it used to be.

I live in the Inland Empire and I think your vision of what's there is a bit skewed. It's one of the fastest growing regions of the country and is filling up with regular, boring tract housing. There's no chapparel and random brush around the houses, it's mostly suburban neighborhoods.

You'd probably have some fires started by gas leaks but it's not going to start a wildfire.
Once you get to some of the outskirts of the area then yeah there's houses with multiple acre plots with dry chaparral around them but that's not what's going on around there for the most part.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
My vision of the Inland Empire has evolved significantly since I started watching the acclaimed documentary "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well I'm not saying that Corona is going to burn down or anything, but there's still a lot of dry, open country in and around the sprawl out there and things could get pretty hairy in an emergency.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Where did you get the impression that he was doing that?
I've already covered the other possibility, and people seemed to be in a hurry to deny it.

Panfilo posted:

So let me get this straight, you weren't sure about, and didn't bother to research, firefighting terminology, but you felt that your lack of even the most basic knowledge about the subject was no obstacle to voicing your suggestion about the importance of emphasizing backfires in vulnerable areas of the state? Did you not think that maybe the people who are actual firefighting professionals, who went to college to study the subject and have been training and working for years in the field, have already considered this and and included it in their plans at the level they feel is appropriate? What did you think you were adding here? Why did you think you get to have an opinion?

Please tell me why you decided to open your flabby loving jaw and let your thoughts spill out about a subject you have indicated that you are not only wholly unqualified to discuss, but were so thoroughly incurious about that you didn't even bother to look up the correct term for the concept you thought needed to be emphasized. You waste of oxygen.

The Aardvark posted:

God drat if you think everyone operates on the two extreme ends of anything then that explains a lot.
Tell you what, how about you explain the context in which this idiot's opinion was anything other than a waste of electrons. Hell, I'll throw that open to all of you who rushed in to defend him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I've already covered the other possibility, and people seemed to be in a hurry to deny it.

So let me get this straight, you weren't sure about, and didn't bother to research, firefighting terminology, but you felt that your lack of even the most basic knowledge about the subject was no obstacle to voicing your suggestion about the importance of emphasizing backfires in vulnerable areas of the state? Did you not think that maybe the people who are actual firefighting professionals, who went to college to study the subject and have been training and working for years in the field, have already considered this and and included it in their plans at the level they feel is appropriate? What did you think you were adding here? Why did you think you get to have an opinion?

Please tell me why you decided to open your flabby loving jaw and let your thoughts spill out about a subject you have indicated that you are not only wholly unqualified to discuss, but were so thoroughly incurious about that you didn't even bother to look up the correct term for the concept you thought needed to be emphasized. You waste of oxygen.

Tell you what, how about you explain the context in which this idiot's opinion was anything other than a waste of electrons. Hell, I'll throw that open to all of you who rushed in to defend him.

nice meltdown

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Color me surprised that stone cold of all people is weighing in on the side of the uninformed yet opinionated. Who could have foreseen this shocking development.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't want people like you determining what other people and groups believe for the purposes of taking away their employment.

This isn't some covert NKVD loyalty test, to be subject to that section of the penal code, you would have to knowingly be a member of a group dedicated to the violent overthrow of the state. I can't see someone joining one of those by accident, then just deciding to stick with it. Do you think that group membership should not be scrutinized? Would you be OK with a member of the Aryan Nation on the state personnel board?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 24, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao you are melting down over a guy asking if backburns would address the risk of wildfires

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao you are melting down over a guy asking if backburns would address the risk of wildfires

It's pretty amazing.

BTW, I've heard the answer is mostly "yes," but there's understandably a real reluctance to do that sort of thing close to populated areas. Even if the fire doesn't get out of control, the smoke is a drat nuisance. You definitely see more emphasis on using controlled burns in the backcountry than you did a generation ago though and it's a good thing IMO, but it's still not really enough, especially with the effect the drought had on the climate here. Maybe we should try sending free range goats everywhere. That's what they do in Baja and it seems to work pretty well.

Part of the problem is this is an ecosystem that needs brush fires. Natural fires are crucial in clearing brush build up and returning nutrients to the soil and many plants can't grow without them. The Giant Sequoia is one of those plants and, if you go to the park, you can see pine tree sized saplings from before they had fire fighters and little baby Sequioas from when the park service started doing controlled burns and absolutely nothing in between. Sequoias, at least, have the advantage of living a long loving time, but many plants haven't been so lucky. There's also issues with non-native plants, especially grasses and eucalyptus (the pyromaniac of the plant world), and deforestation. There used to be a lot more oak forests in California, but logging and grazing have turned a lot of it into grassland or scrub and the fires spread faster because of it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

So let me get this straight, you weren't sure about, and didn't bother to research, firefighting terminology, but you felt that your lack of even the most basic knowledge about the subject was no obstacle to voicing your suggestion about the importance of emphasizing backfires in vulnerable areas of the state?

You really can't make this poo poo up

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I get it. He spent eight years getting teased for clearing brush at his ranch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"Will the IE burn down?" is kind of silly because it absolutely could if the fire started in the right place. If it started on the edge of a housing development that borders the undeveloped dry chaparral then yeah, it could do a lot of damage. If it started in the middle of a modern cul-de-sac...probably not.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 24, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

stone cold posted:

nice meltdown

It's a prescribed self-burn. Clearly overdue.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dead Reckoning posted:

Color me surprised that stone cold of all people is weighing in on the side of the uninformed yet opinionated. Who could have foreseen this shocking development.

This isn't some covert NKVD loyalty test, to be subject to that section of the penal code, you would have to knowingly be a member of a group dedicated to the violent overthrow of the state. I can't see someone joining one of those by accident, then just deciding to stick with it. Do you think that group membership should not be scrutinized? Would you be OK with a member of the Aryan Nation on the state personnel board?

Sorry, you are not my lawyer, therefore your opinion is nothing other than a waste of electrons. I'm not sure why you decided to open your flabby loving jaw and let your thoughts spill out about a subject you have indicated that you are only wholly unqualified to discuss.
:v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This morning I saw two homeless people get in a fight at McDonald's. One asked the other if she was waiting in line and she flipped out and punched the little dog he was carrying. He started windmilling his free arm at her and knocked her backpack loose, releasing hordes of millipedes and beetles abs God knows what other insects this woman was collecting (she's notorious for flicking insect pupae at people).

Anyway I can honestly say both of those homeless people were more reasonable in their conflict resolution than Dead Reckoning is in this thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure members of the Aryan Nation have other problems that would get in the way of their being hired than simply belonging to the Aryan Nation. You really don't need to specifically make a law that says they're not allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm pretty sure members of the Aryan Nation have other problems that would get in the way of their being hired than simply belonging to the Aryan Nation. You really don't need to specifically make a law that says they're not allowed.

yeah but what if