Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know it's already been said, but ground combat is some bullshit. I'm currently playing Cravers and started invading my neighbors around early- to mid-game. The first couple of planets went easily as they hadn't had a chance to build up. Then I hit a 3 planet system and ground to halt. I've spent like the last 20 turns ferrying manpower in and have only now managed to get through their population, preventing them getting more troops. Dropping a never-ending stream of invaders is Craver as gently caress, but this is just lovely gameplay.

I typically wait until later when I can build up a dedicated bombardment/invasion fleet, but I figured I'd get a head start since I was playing Cravers. It wasn't worth it.

Ground combat is really my main complaint about ES2 so I guess I can live with it. Hopefully Amplitude takes another look at it later. Space combat is kind of bland too, but at least it's not nearly as aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

from my riftborn game thusfar this doesn't seem to be true at all, a riftborn colony on a high-mineral world (like lavas, which they can colonise at the start) can get up and running really fast. machine embodiment is super cheap for your first few pops and being able to colonise the best production worlds without worrying about food is great

You spend all that time building more Riftborn instead of buildings though. By contrast, a high-food faction will be building improvements and growing nearly as fast. Even in my Riftborn games, the minor faction systems I designate as flesh-colonies tend to top off faster. They just top off lower.

I feel like a lot of people in this topic are vastly underestimating the power of a huge population. You should always be beelining for growth and colonization techs (which let you use that growth). Ignore the military tree until you're literally at war (unless you're Cravers or Vodyani, I guess).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I made a new discovery today. Horatio is (are?) absolutely insane late game, and absolutely a "build tall" faction (weirdly), because apparently unused food rolls into production. I was just dicking around the galaxy, being all peaceful and poo poo, and suddenly I realized my capitol now had 1800 production because of it's 1400 food surplus. Instantly. I make a fleet EVERY TURN from a single system, and at this point I'm basically obligated to declare war on everyone and crush them under my unending waves of beauty.

...I've always enjoyed Amplitude's philosophy on balance, where "if everyone's totally broken somehow it'll probably work out".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Ramadu posted:

did the beta patch fix the horrific slowdown post turn 100? because goddamn thats so frustrating

Beta Patch stops AI from abusing the Space Port.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Clarste posted:

You spend all that time building more Riftborn instead of buildings though. By contrast, a high-food faction will be building improvements and growing nearly as fast. Even in my Riftborn games, the minor faction systems I designate as flesh-colonies tend to top off faster. They just top off lower.

I feel like a lot of people in this topic are vastly underestimating the power of a huge population. You should always be beelining for growth and colonization techs (which let you use that growth). Ignore the military tree until you're literally at war (unless you're Cravers or Vodyani, I guess).

riftborn have better bonuses than flesh pops, though, and you're colonising worlds with much better industry/pop than you would with flesh pops. cost of machine embodiment goes up fairly fast so you might take longer to fill out a system but in terms of where the colony is after say 10 turns the riftborn world will be much more productive

that said, I've only played the one game with them and I think I got pretty lucky in the number of lava worlds near me

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, if you get stuck with Ice worlds you're kind of screwed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

I made a new discovery today. Horatio is (are?) absolutely insane late game, and absolutely a "build tall" faction (weirdly), because apparently unused food rolls into production. I was just dicking around the galaxy, being all peaceful and poo poo, and suddenly I realized my capitol now had 1800 production because of it's 1400 food surplus. Instantly. I make a fleet EVERY TURN from a single system, and at this point I'm basically obligated to declare war on everyone and crush them under my unending waves of beauty.

This is the effect of a particular building at the end of the society tree.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Safety Factor posted:

I know it's already been said, but ground combat is some bullshit. I'm currently playing Cravers and started invading my neighbors around early- to mid-game. The first couple of planets went easily as they hadn't had a chance to build up. Then I hit a 3 planet system and ground to halt. I've spent like the last 20 turns ferrying manpower in and have only now managed to get through their population, preventing them getting more troops. Dropping a never-ending stream of invaders is Craver as gently caress, but this is just lovely gameplay.

I typically wait until later when I can build up a dedicated bombardment/invasion fleet, but I figured I'd get a head start since I was playing Cravers. It wasn't worth it.

Ground combat is really my main complaint about ES2 so I guess I can live with it. Hopefully Amplitude takes another look at it later. Space combat is kind of bland too, but at least it's not nearly as aggravating.
There's early techs for manpower modules. There's also a fairly early tech for a module that increases the siege damage you do, and it stacks both on a ship and across a fleet. You can have more than one of each class of ship. Building a ground combat focused fleet using the small class ships is perfectly possible early game.

orangelex44 posted:

...I've always enjoyed Amplitude's philosophy on balance, where "if everyone's totally broken somehow it'll probably work out".
There's a tech for that! It's pretty late though.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Compared to my UE game, the time taken to fill out a system feels similar but you're building other system improvements as the UE whereas you still need to build them as the Riftborn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Onean posted:

There's early techs for manpower modules. There's also a fairly early tech for a module that increases the siege damage you do, and it stacks both on a ship and across a fleet. You can have more than one of each class of ship. Building a ground combat focused fleet using the small class ships is perfectly possible early game.

To be honest, you don't even need those as Cravers? Just aim for the fleet size increasing techs, which also increase the number of soldiers you can field in a ground battle. Once you figure in the Craver bonuses to soldier poer, you should be able to conquer worlds in a single Blitz. The trick is to stay ahead of the curve.

The manpower deployment limit is really the main thing slowing down ground battles, because it's almost impossible to have a decisive battle when both sides are always so evenly matched. It wasn't like this in Early Access.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

True, I didn't do that. However, the game limits how much manpower is used per battle so as long as a decent system keeps sacrificing its population it's extremely hard to conquer no matter how much you throw at it.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Clarste posted:

The manpower deployment limit is really the main thing slowing down ground battles, because it's almost impossible to have a decisive battle when both sides are always so evenly matched. It wasn't like this in Early Access.

This is what really annoyed me - I can dump 4k+ manpower on a planet in one go, but I can only field 700 of it per turn or something like that. If I have an overwhelming advantage let me use it! What is the point of all these bonus manpower ship modules if the base ships already carry more people than you can use in a drop? I'm sure I'm missing some key techs in that area, I haven't just sat down and read the tech tree, which seems like a good idea in this game, 'cause there's an awful lot of powerful/useful stuff scattered all over the place.

I still can't get the ship fights I want, either. I'm 1 on 1 against a Serious UE in a binary system with a chokepoint and we're at war - he still won't send poo poo at me. I caught his fleet once, and even though he had a ship size and command point advantage he retreated it :( I just want to watch my ships shove missiles down their throats, is this the true measure of the game's difficulty? He's obviously teching up faster than I am, given the hull and command point difference, and some of the challenges he's getting before I do - so what's the drat problem? Is the AI just tuned to be SUPER risk averse?

Edit: Yep, looks like there's some techs in the military tree that have +200 troop deployment or similar rolled into them. Still doesn't seem like enough of those considering the numbers you can cram in a ship though

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 24, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ramadu posted:

did the beta patch fix the horrific slowdown post turn 100? because goddamn thats so frustrating

Trip report: no.

It's telling of how good the game is that I'm playing despite it.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, no matter what faction I play. On a normal speed game as Vodyani, I was falling way behind the AI in score even by turn 80, and not really making that much dust. I was making around 800 essence a turn, but I could barely seem to manage to beat down my neighbor even with several arks.

I started a new game as Riftborn on fast instead, and by turn 30 I'm not even making 100 dust with 3 colonies, maybe 10 or so Riftborn between them, and I have almost no military. I'm so busy trying to actually build up the planets, and focusing on just building pop doesn't seem effective because they take 4-5 turns each.

Am I getting the wrong tech? Should I be focusing more on getting more colonies? I'm always afraid to spread out because of the dust upkeep costs and the fact that I can only have 6 colonies before I hit over-colonization.

Another minor annoying thing I saw during my Vodyani game was the AI constantly retreating. I had an ark in two enemy colonies next to each other, and every time I beat up the ships in one of them, they'd retreat at half health to the other and somehow be at full health by the time they arrived, over and over. I was fighting Riftborn which are pretty slow, but surely they aren't healing the entire time they're in a starlane? How the hell do I get rid of these ships if they're just going to keep running away?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Are you building trade companies and upgrading your system levels?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sailor Dave posted:

Am I getting the wrong tech? Should I be focusing more on getting more colonies? I'm always afraid to spread out because of the dust upkeep costs and the fact that I can only have 6 colonies before I hit over-colonization.

Another minor annoying thing I saw during my Vodyani game was the AI constantly retreating. I had an ark in two enemy colonies next to each other, and every time I beat up the ships in one of them, they'd retreat at half health to the other and somehow be at full health by the time they arrived, over and over. I was fighting Riftborn which are pretty slow, but surely they aren't healing the entire time they're in a starlane? How the hell do I get rid of these ships if they're just going to keep running away?

Colonies are super important. You want to be pushing those out as quickly as your FIDSI income allows you. There are techs that let you colonize more systems without penalties, and getting to 8 or 10 is pretty easy.

As for retreating, it is annoying. I didn't find a good option until tier 5 military tech where one of them gives you the Full Reserves battle tactic that gives you free action points, letting you attack more than once a round. Another option is a bit fiddly since it requires you having faster ships and the enemy not able to reach the next system in one move. If you can beat a retreating fleet to the system they're running to, guarding the system will force them to stop, giving you another chance to wipe them out.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

IAmTheRad posted:

Beta Patch stops AI from abusing the Space Port.

Is that what was causing the insane slowdown? I watched a whole episode of a tv show and only did like 9 turns

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Is that what was causing the insane slowdown? I watched a whole episode of a tv show and only did like 9 turns

I saw a screenshot of the AI, and during their turn there was about 5 ships going to and from every single AI colony to every other one.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
can i play this game in a relatively pacifist fashion, i hated ES1's combat poo poo

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sailor Dave posted:

I started a new game as Riftborn on fast instead, and by turn 30 I'm not even making 100 dust with 3 colonies, maybe 10 or so Riftborn between them, and I have almost no military. I'm so busy trying to actually build up the planets

I think this is where you're going wrong for Riftborn specifically. Other races might want to build improvements but a lot of the time RB actually want to just generate pop. Look at some of the starting buildings -- Drone networks are basically an autobuild on every other race but RB don't do anything at all with the food. You're getting 5 industry for 80 invested, but another pop would ALSO gets you 5 Dust and Science for 250, plus the value of working the planet more. That's a way better value.

Public-private partnerships give 10 science and other races might get another 20 for fertile / temperate planets but fertile planets are gross so there's another bonus you probably miss out on.

Transport network sounds good but it's only a lil' better than drone networks unless you have multiple planets with strategics or have pretty full planets already.

You usually get Xeno-Industrial Complex early because it comes with the tech for mining Titanium, but it's in the same boat as public-private partnerships. +10 industry, great. +20 more for Temperate + Fertile, who cares.

Infinite supermarkets you probably want.

Lol if you research the food tech.

So out of all the level 1 tech buildings, the only one you want is the one that gives you happiness. If you happen to have temperate worlds around PPP and XIC might be worth it? But not until you're spread out a little and you're going to have to research how to colonize them anyway, which might just be a waste of time.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 24, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, Unfallen Vines are still invisible for me as of the 1.05 beta patch, and clicking on the diplomacy TAB still causes a hangup, but I found out I can engage diplomacy without any errors at all by clicking on the political icon of another empire on the map, directly. Requires me to see their home planet, but hey, it works. Which means the hangup must be specific to displaying all the icons of the leaders in the galactic council or whatever.

I'm fuzzy on Cravers. When a planet is "Depleted" does that mean that it's producing less FIDS for everyone or is it just back down to what normal levels would be for everyone? 'cause I'm pretty sure I ate the crap out of my home system a while ago and its still one of my best producers. Though I guess the slave poplulations are being worked overtime to make up for it...

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Legs Benedict posted:

can i play this game in a relatively pacifist fashion, i hated ES1's combat poo poo

Unfallen vs AI. With enough money to sweeten the deal, almost everyone will peace out, giving you a lot of benefits with the right laws. It is also surprisingly more tense than I expected because I'm greedily exploring the galaxy trying to find and assimilate all the choice minor factions before the AI can. Though I'm a bit annoyed that a minor can be allied to you one turn and the next turn assimilated by someone else without prior warning.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, you can even play the Cravers as nice guys... IF you have Pacifists in power. Tough to do, but an option!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Trade companies are a little bit out of hand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just played a super-dense 12 person game with the Cravers. Or as I call it, the Feeding Frenzy. I was intentionally keeping people alive so I could keep the bonuses for staying at war with them, and by the end I was getting +700 production in all my billion colonies from Super Swarms. Also like +350 happiness. Also I never built a colony ship.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you shouldn't feel limited by the happiness penalties from exceeding your system limit. I would arue that you you're at or below the limit then you're doing something horribly wrong. Happiness bonuses exist to cancel out the penalties.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Clarste posted:

To be honest, you don't even need those as Cravers? Just aim for the fleet size increasing techs, which also increase the number of soldiers you can field in a ground battle. Once you figure in the Craver bonuses to soldier poer, you should be able to conquer worlds in a single Blitz. The trick is to stay ahead of the curve.

The way I invaded as UE was to just leave a fleet in orbit around a planet and keep it under siege until their manpower had dropped enough, is that not how other factions do it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That is how you do it, but it takes time and I'm impatient. If you have enough of an advantage in terms of deployment limits or troop upgrades, you can just invade immediately and even with Conscription they won't be able to defend two turns in a row. When I wrote that I assumed Cravers had a larger deployment limit (in addition to their bigger fleets), but apparently I misremembered. They have a tiny 10% bonus to troop strength which is.. eh? On the other hand, because of the way they need to leverage an early advantage they're the only faction I don't feel bad about prioritizing the military tree with.

Edit: For what it's worth, get tanks ASAP and abuse Chain Gang for the extra manpower to switch over.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cravers already get 2 gun slots on the exploration hull so really not that much of a need to grab the ship tech too early. If you luck out and get the expedition gun module which is 12 dps (like I did in my current game) you have pretty much already defeated your first neighbor.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

That is how you do it, but it takes time and I'm impatient. If you have enough of an advantage in terms of deployment limits or troop upgrades, you can just invade immediately and even with Conscription they won't be able to defend two turns in a row. When I wrote that I assumed Cravers had a larger deployment limit (in addition to their bigger fleets), but apparently I misremembered. They have a tiny 10% bonus to troop strength which is.. eh? On the other hand, because of the way they need to leverage an early advantage they're the only faction I don't feel bad about prioritizing the military tree with.

Edit: For what it's worth, get tanks ASAP and abuse Chain Gang for the extra manpower to switch over.

There seems to be very little talk of goons outfitting support ships with Titanium Slugs. If you park like 2 of those around a planet, a small ship will clear like 75 troops off the planet per turn. I invade against a token conscription force after shelling them into Hades, using a support ship with a troop carrier.

Specialize your ships, people.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Even in Endless Space 1, where you can feasibly make one all-purpose kinetic/beam/missile combat ship that will fairly consistently win battles if you just send out a whole bunch of them, conquering planets in a sane timeframe is another matter entirely and requires sending out specialized invasion and/or bombardment ships.

It's fine if you don't like micromanaging the ship designer, but you do need to at least glance at it occasionally over the course of a game. Trying to brute-force everything with one or two bog-standard ship layouts is like trying to win a game of Endless Legend using only your starting infantry unit with no trinkets or equipment upgrades. Every Endless game has required (or at least Strongly Encouraged) abit of tinkering and forethought with regards to your units' armaments and specialized roles.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Even in Endless Space 1, where you can feasibly make one all-purpose kinetic/beam/missile combat ship that will fairly consistently win battles if you just send out a whole bunch of them, conquering planets in a sane timeframe is another matter entirely and requires sending out specialized invasion and/or bombardment ships.

It's fine if you don't like micromanaging the ship designer, but you do need to at least glance at it occasionally over the course of a game. Trying to brute-force everything with one or two bog-standard ship layouts is like trying to win a game of Endless Legend using only your starting infantry unit with no trinkets or equipment upgrades. Every Endless game has required (or at least Strongly Encouraged) abit of tinkering and forethought with regards to your units' armaments and specialized roles.

This. What Endless games (space specifically) lack in direct control of combat, they make up for with deep unit customization. It encourages you to play the big game, planning your forces and equipping them to deal with situations as they arise. It isn't like Civ where you hit a new level of unit tech and just do everything with that unit until it's obsolete.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Craver questline reward is impressively lame.

You get your choice of:
-Defeat an NPC fleet -> gain the ability to ignore forced truces for free.
-Control 74 planets (about half the loving galaxy) -> Gain 2 Influence for every CP of ships you destroy.

I miss the Endless Legend questlines, which were twice as long and often totally undoable, but gave suitably massive rewards.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

The Craver questline reward is impressively lame.

You get your choice of:
-Defeat an NPC fleet -> gain the ability to ignore forced truces for free.
-Control 74 planets (about half the loving galaxy) -> Gain 2 Influence for every CP of ships you destroy.

I miss the Endless Legend questlines, which were twice as long and often totally undoable, but gave suitably massive rewards.
Huh, when I got that quest as Cravers it was only 16 planets. What size galaxy are you playing in? I was on Large so maybe it scales.

I agree that the faction questions are kind of lame so far. Surprisingly short, really. Endless Legend's were much better. The Craver's questline is all about rediscovering the Virtual Endless and either rejecting them or embracing them as their rules again. Results should be a bit more interesting than +2 Influence per destroyed command point. :downs:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

In my game as Sophons I just put a +manpower module on a tank ship never had any problems with invasions. Maybe you forgot to upgrade troops in military screen?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

1.05 is out on steam, patchnotes are there too. i don't see anything directly about the slow down, but a few things that could help

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Could be the Abusive AI migration helps with the insane slowdown.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Huh, when I got that quest as Cravers it was only 16 planets. What size galaxy are you playing in? I was on Large so maybe it scales.

Oh, no it must scale to turn.

I think I was playing on Medium, but I had a bug or something that stopped me from completing Step 1 (Intercept the ship) for 100+ turns until I quit and logged back in.

So if you do it in a timely fashion, that's a lot more reasonable of an objective- but the reward is still pretty lame and irrelevant to the Craver lore.

Destroying planets is incredibly pointless, for anyone curious. You need an endgame Military tech to get a Ship Module that can only go on a large ship with no other weapon modules. It takes a huge amount of production to build (like, comparable to the Obelisk), and then that defenseless ship has to hover in an enemy system for 5 turns before it can blow up one of that system's planets.

Unless your ground forces are complete garbage (despite you being at the end of the military tree) or you're really, really lazy about refilling fleet manpower, I can't imagine any scenario where it wouldn't be way faster/easier/more beneficial to just invade and conquer the entire system with the large ship and the fleet you need protecting it.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 24, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Speedball posted:

Hell, you can even play the Cravers as nice guys... IF you have Pacifists in power. Tough to do, but an option!

Here's my thoughts on Unfallen (who do have a "Fire" branch to their quests with some weapon tech).

Overall: I like to focus on expansion and assimilation, as Peace Zergling Trees.. Some of the minor faction assimilation traits are obscenely good, like setting the default pop research rate to 5. Between stacking happiness, FIDS peace bonuses and laws, you can get crazy amounts of boosts. Your ships aren't exceptionally good, but they do tend to be pretty tough, with defense slots on everything.

Basic Faction:
  • Celestial Vines are your early game bane and your late-game friend. They'll prevent you from directly colonizing and assimilating far-flung systems, but wherever your 'creep' reaches, you can instantly colonize a single planet or instantly utilize one of the special planet-less nodes, as well as repair and upgrade even without a colony. Speaking of which, as far as I can tell, those nodes like Solar Nebula, Asteroid Fields, and Collapsing Stars all contribute to your home system immediately no matter distance and other colonies, making them a huge boost especially when you're lacking colonization techs. You can Vine systems owned by minor factions for assimilation (bring pirate protection) and peaceful major factions. You can Entwine a system with a direct connection regardless of length, but if you're not directly connected you can still entwine systems within a certain distance, indicated by a ring around the system. If you cannot see the vines or the indicator due to a graphical bug, you're in for some unnecessary hassle. Although vines don't project influence they can still be used to peacefully convert systems belonging to other major factions. They provide a very nice 10% food bonus to any entwined system which would be a nice incentive for an ally that somehow trusts you not to flip all their systems. Unfortunately, I'm not clear on what other benefits Vines provide (especially to allies) or how to remove them, since i've been focusing on the Unfallen and the wiki is currently unhelpful. It appears that friendly powers also get an approval bonus ontop of the food.
  • Unfallen pop: The obvious traits are their pacifist leaning and great food bonus (+2 everywhere, an additional +5 on fertile planets). Their 20-Collection bonus will be quickly reached, providing you with an additional 15% influence.
  • Guardian pop: You start with one and you can only get additional ones from special curiosities only you can probe, and you need to do so with a ship and not planetary production. They never reproduce. Your home planet has one of these curiosities, allowing you to instantly add another population point on your first turn. While they lack a food bonus, they still work the slot while providing racial diversity, +5 approval per guardian galaxy wide, an additional local approval bonus, and what appears to be a flat 20 influence per system with any number of guardians, and a significant local ground defense bonus. Sadly, these Guardians are permanently rooted in place. They're also worth popping in allied and hostile territory as they will provide bonuses to your friends and penalty to your enemies. Since you can't grow more of them, the Pop Collection targets for Guardians are much lower but still hard to reach.
  • Harmonious II: this provides approval when you're at peace/allied with other factions, and stacked with Peace party laws, is an easy way to get lots of percentage boosts to everything.
  • Mutual Understanding I: Mostly irrelevant ship and ground damage bonuses, it still makes you hard to invade as long as -someone- isn't willing to go to war with you, thanks to your large population base. If you're playing with humans, it's quite unreliable the bigger a target you are.
Initial Leader: Unfallen Seeker Pacifist
First Tier: I used to build this guy entirely as a system commander but now I diversify him a bit to deal with the initial shortage of heroes (I suppose I could just buy more, but rarely do). Instead I generally open with "Steaming Fertilizer" (+10%/+20% food before consumption unlike Civ) or "Blue Sky Speculator" (+20/+40 flat RP) depending on how my early colonization targets look. Because my planet will quickly fill out or my research skyrocket once I settle a batch of cold planets, I then move onto "Cosmic Castaway (+4/8 exp/turn on fleet, +1/2 vision) or "Enhanced Astronavigation" (1.5/3x free movement speed on fleet, +1/+2 vision range on fleet). The former gets used when Peace isn't likely; the exp boost remains even when my commander gets shuttled back to colony duties. The latter really shines if you're low on minor factions; with triple free movement, you feel as fast traveling to isolated constellations or systems as you do traveling warp lanes, making finding new factions for the peace bonus and minor factions for the assimilation happen in record times. It's entirely useless if you're stuck in your own constellation as it doesn't impact starlane travel.
Second Tier: I almost always beeline for Personal Militia (+2/+4 Influence per pop on planets, some trivial defense bonus) though I may pass if I have a bunch of Collapsing Stars (+50 influence systems) nearby or can't make use of any of the Pacifist/Ecologist laws. Of note is the Seeker skill "Startrekking Instruction". It's notable for being a rather early On Senate skill, but kind of poo poo otherwise. Your initial commander is pretty much always going to be leading the party unless something goes horribly wrong, and even if giving the hero ship additional probes is bit trash, +1/+2 movement points on all your fleets is pretty drat good. I tend to finish up with "Common Touch" (+10 influence a system, +2 per hero level) just to boost influence a bit further.
Third Tier: The influence focus on the second tier tends to mean my initial commander tends to stick to a fully developed system, leading to me skipping the growth boosters and focusing on on the amazing influence boost of "Rousing Orator" (+4/+8 Influence per person).
Fourth Tier: the Unfallen skill "Symbiotic Repair" is almost too good to pass up since the pacifist party will almost always be in power - as a fleet commander, it gives +40% regen - as a senator, it gives +5% regen across the galaxy.

Tech thoughts:
  • Never my first priority, Xenology is still a huge priority. +1 Influence/person isn't a lot, but considering how rapidly your population booms, it's critical to supporting any laws other than the non-party "functional" ones. It's nearly impossible to keep the Ecological Party in power unless you're carefully minding it, so you might not have many laws worth permanently supporting. Now you can keep growing rapidly without hampering your ability to gobble up minors very rapidly.
  • Efficent Shielding comes right after Xenology if Pirates are on, or even sooner if a Minor Faction is next to my homeworld. Even at 100 relations, Minors still spawn hostile pirates which constantly interrupt your attempts to Entwine them, and you need to Entwine them to Assimilate.
  • The Influence boosting techs in the Empire Development Tree are obviously useful, but there's a couple things worth pointing out. Techs with Overcolonization buffs are somewhat less useful - the Unfallen generally aren't lacking in Approval as long as you can bribe someone to be your friend, but it can still be handy if you're having trouble bribing AI, or you're playing with Cravers or IRL humans. Tier Three unlocks another law slot on your default Democracy, leading to an early four law slots and another reason to invest in influence techs outside of the peaceful/assimilation victory path. If you reach tier 5, your democracy gets another two law slots to suck up all your influence, which has probably stockpiled to useless levels after the minor factions were gobbled up. Of course, if you can't keep the parties in power for the laws you want, that influence will be kind of useless other than buying systems out.
  • SLC (supra-light content) systems lets you slowly absorb systems within your area of influence, or buy them outright for thousands of influence. You don't have an area of influence, you say? Systems you've entwined count for this, and entwining an opponent at peace isn't causus belli for the AI, though actually grabbing the systems is. Of course human players would be a lot more suspicious despite the entwining buff. IIRC, the conversion is not automatic unless you've got the top religious law, so you can control the timing.
  • Thanks to Unfallen food and fertile food bonuses, you'll have an outright excessive amount of food, even if you haven't been terraforming. Chlorophyll Chemistry can convert all that wasted food into production.
  • I barely dabble in the military tree.
  • There's no set and necessary paths to the Economy and Trade Tree, but I tend to grab the Xenolinguistics tech first every game to get out more vine ships. I tend to grab Atmospheric Filtration for more planets and one other tech fairly quickly just to unlock tier 3 and "Basic System Development". If you've been expanding wide, chances are you have the luxuries to build a lot of Headquarters (see Economy screen), I prefer to go for the +2 influence per person mod, but only if I have the specific luxury income to support it with minimal marketplace purchases. Two of your quest rewards are improvements that benefit you based on how mixed your system pops are, so the starport helps.
  • Science and Exploration: All your colony techs are "Celestial Vines Affinity" because they don't cost any production, just a fixed amount of turns. Baryonic Shielding and Machine Bacteria are generally low priority if I don't have the relevant planet type, but I still like to grab them later on for a very aggressive scouting rush to find any minor factions and major faction peace partners. While someone on the opposite side of the galaxy doesn't get entwined benefits, they also don't have to worry about being converted. It's also sadly difficult to Assimilate those minor factions but if you can get an entwiner out there, between stacking Praises and Anomaly Probes you can rush Assimilate amazingly fast and probably afford the wasteful influence spending even without dropping a law or two. Since you're growing so fast, this tree as a whole is pretty valuable. Terraforming is not something I'm especially driven towards, but it is necessary for one of the quest choices and the pop bonus from transforming your least habitable worlds can be worth the loss in extreme science/dust/industry even before you pile up a lot of tier 4/5 techs. Early advanced terraforming is kind of a failure if your production can't keep up with the increased costs and there are a lot of improvements that prefer infertile or a certain temperature scale if the star system is skewed one way or another.

Laws:
  • The Pacifist Party will pretty much always be in party unless you have to do a massive military mobilization and assimilate a bunch of warlike independents. Considering you may have some rather low standing forces, you can end an election cycle with the military in power quite easily although it should quickly revert to normal as long as you're not at war. With the default party law of "Right Thing Rule", you can be pretty assured of having a massive FIDS bonus unless you can't bribe a human player into peace. "My Precious Precept" is a slow burner, but once you find luxuries that you want to spend on minor factions or improving your systems it becomes very valuable for a pacifist play and one of the quest options. Having the right luxuries is a bit spotty, even with the marketplace, but the level 10 collection bonus is great for shaping your Senate, while the level 20 bonus is where your massive assimilation spree is even further rewarded, or you can partially make up for a minor faction that the AI grabbed first.
  • The Ecology Party is surprisingly difficult to keep in power, but can accelerate your population growth even further (especially handy when you're boosting a minor race for their Collection bonuses) and also reward population diversity with more approval and production.
  • The Science party is pretty easy to get in power, and the first +3 movement points law is very handy in finding new friends to exploit.
  • The Militarist party will grab a seat in your senate with surprising frequency despite the national preferences towards peace. It leaves me cautious about assimilating or boosting pops with a natural militaristic tendency.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Wait, the Unfallen can cleanse the galaxy with fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Davincie posted:

1.05 is out on steam, patchnotes are there too. i don't see anything directly about the slow down, but a few things that could help

I finished my game last night with the beta 1.05 patch installed (admittedly after starting the game) and it didn't do anything to the end of game slowdown.