Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Pages back, but I've seen them in Newfoundland. :shrug:

It's becoming the international flag of "White People." In part, I assume, since some European countries have laws against flying the Nazi flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Deadulus posted:

He said it was over trade because he still doesn't understand you can't do a trade deal with only Germany.

it's actually because donald trump, who was elected on the idea that he was good at business, has no loving clue what a trade deficit is, how it relates to national debt and how this whole international business thing works. he heard that germany exports more to the US than it imports from them and decided that this was unfair and mean. nothing i just said is an exaggeration.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seemed really obvious even at the time that "online communities" for trump were largely manufactured astroturfing. Both really astroturfing where like russian chat bots were literally spamming twitter. But also that weird internet age phenomenon where a small number of people can dominate a forum in an organized and outsized way by seeming like a lot of people in a way where they aren't paid by anyone so it's weird to call it astroturfing but it's also a manufactured fake thing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Trump was later seen asking Trudeau where Mike from Canmore had gotten to.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Willie Tomg posted:

gently caress mixed up mattis and mcmaster.

I keep mcmixing up mcmaster and mcmagic

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Huzanko posted:

It's becoming the international flag of "White People." In part, I assume, since some European countries have laws against flying the Nazi flag.

not that that's necessarily wrong, but here in europe the conferedate flag is also a symbol simply for all things vaguely "the south". you can see it in the decor of bars that go for a western movie atmosphere or any other places where fat people gather to drink in cowboy hats. the people who go to these places mostly couldn't even tell you that there was a civil war in the US at some point, their association isn't "slavery" so much as "john wayne".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Another great/terrible article interviewing Trump voters on how they feel now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/trump-russia-reaction-lancaster-pennsylvania/index.html?source=atlanticshare

quote:

Trump's supporters aren't abandoning him in this Pennsylvania town

In this town, in a state that helped Trump win the White House, they seemed largely indifferent to the steady stream of news stories about the Trump campaign and Russia, as well as the FBI's investigation into potential Russian interference into the election.

quote:

"I don't think much of it," Cherryl Hess said of the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel to investigate ties between the Trump campaign and Russia as she stood behind a set of tables full of old books, T-shirts and some antiques. "He's our president. He couldn't have been doing things that were wrong or he wouldn't have gotten in."

quote:

"I wouldn't have voted for him if he was crooked," Hess, 74, added.

quote:

Hess and her husband, Craig, were both registered Democrats but picked Trump because he promised a fresh direction for the country and speaks plainly about what he intends to do. But Craig Hess, 66, an Army and Vietnam veteran, said Trump's detractors have been "on him brutal."

quote:

Cherryl Hess said she hoped Trump would make things better for senior citizens in the US -- she said they've been trampled -- while Craig was frustrated with the state of the military and national security, the beleaguered economy, the lack of strong guiding principles. Things aren't what they used to be, he said, but Trump perhaps could have an answer, provided he's given the chance to try.

"I think they need to give him a break, but I don't think that's going to happen," he said, dismissing the reports of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia as "lies."

quote:

"It's just baloney, this back and forth over every little nitpicking thing, that's what pisses me off," Stock, 84, said. "Now they have this new guy Mueller. See what he does. How long is he going to take, a year or two?

Lewis, 77, piled on, agreeing with Stock that Trump's been unfairly maligned and castigated by Washington politicians.

quote:

Both retirees -- Tom is a veteran, Buddy helped build Maryland's Fort McHenry tunnel back in the 1980s -- say they don't like to argue politics, they just like to soak in information. The two men go back and forth, trading a list of headlines they've heard on Fox News. "All you hear is investigating this, investigating that. I'm tired of it," he said, exasperated. "I don't think he's ever been given a chance to do what he could do."

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Evilreaver posted:

I keep mcmixing up mcmaster and mcmagic

McMaster is the one who debases himself over a lovely, unacceptable politician.
Mcmagic is the one who hates Joe Manchin.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-a7758131.html

One of Donald Trump’s speech in Israel was cancelled over concerns that he would be heckled by members of Israel’s parliament.

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011
Trump makes Ricky from Trailer Park Boys look like a genius.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah, exactly this.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

It's kind of amazing - none of these people realize that if Trump wasn't terrible at everything, he could set a legislative agenda right now and leverage his political capital against the Republicans trying to hold the new president up.

But, of course, Trump has none because he's a petulant child.. and they blame everyone else for it.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

More specifically:

Kim Dotcom sent a malicious link to Seth Rich's e-mail in an attempt to gain access to the e-mail account so that he could forge an e-mail that makes it look like Seth was working with Wikileaks/was assassinated.

As he did this, he contacted Hannity promising he'll have something in the next few days.

He was fully confident that when Seth Rich's dad checked his son's e-mail, he'd click on that link. Seth Rich's dad never did.

So, Kim got nothing.

If this is true, shouldn't he be arrested and charged with a crime?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

pacmania90 posted:

The New Zealand police are gonna get right on it as soon as an American makes a complaint.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pacmania90 posted:

It's Kim DotCom. That's like already happening. He is literally a wanted criminal.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, exactly this.

They get extremely upset when it looks like there aren't that many of them and also when it's clear no one likes them. Just like Trump himself.

They believe that their Subreddit has 6 million more subscribers than they actually have and that Reddit is covering this up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Best/worst Trump supporter quote?

quote:

Trump was very strong for seniors. Our senior citizens have been left behind and forgotten. Nobody calls us and asks us about what kind of jobs we need or what kind of people and language they are putting on TV. None of it is directed at us anymore and they instead just make shows where they make fun of us or speak in different languages so we can't understand.

They took our retirement money, our jobs, our language, and our culture. Trump was the only one who was willing to give them a middle-finger and tell it straight. He was going to give the respect and the voice back to seniors.

Edit: another good one.

quote:

The biggest U.S. companies used to be U.S. Steel, Exxon, and General Motors. We used to make things and people were afraid of us. Now the biggest U.S. companies are Google, Facebook, and Twitter and the only Americans you ever see on TV are foreign or weak. Trump was the only one, and still is the only one, who saw the problem and called a spade a spade.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 27, 2017

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

These articles were fun to read a few months ago but now are just pathetic. We get it, if given the option his core supporters will go down with him in the Trumpbunker while the country burns down around them.

What we should be focusing on is making sure Trump and his idiot supporters, which I maintain is still 35% of the country, don't take the rest of us down with them.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Whats a little evidence fabrication when the government already wants to make an example of you for IP violations?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How many times has Kim DotCom's house been raided so far?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I mean they aren't wrong in that he "told it straight", it's just that all that straight talk was lies

edit: I just looked it up and I always thought "straight talk" meant direct, not necessarily also honest, so yeah, lol

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 27, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This is just really sad.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The biggest US companies are Walmart, Exxon (still there!), and Apple, and GM is still in the top ten.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FarCry 5 DLC set in Portland?

Anyway, this is a prime example of why "The Alt-right should be allowed to have a voice" is bullshit. They aren't trying to share ideas, or put forward a competing argument, they're waiting till they think they can strike.

Like Prester Jane and others have said, we're going to seem more and more of these attacks. I can't find it now, but in the previous thread an article was posted saying that White Nationalist/Supremacist groups feel like Trump is giving them the "go ahead". We're seeing White Supremacist groups on the rise on college campuses across the nation, the DOJ has all but eliminated monitoring right wing extremist groups (which tellingly includes Neo-Nazi groups and White Supremacy groups), and there's a renewed fervor between previously disconnected Right Wing hate groups to team up and ally with each other.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The big difference between actual conspiracies and conspiracy theories is what is the response to new evidence. I'm paraphrasing a speaker on conspiracy theories I once heard, but, In an actual conspiracy, the more questions that are asked and the more evidence that comes out, the conspiracy becomes more clear. In a conspiracy theory, the picture becomes cloudier as time goes on. The people that are pushing the idea that an actual conspiracy occurred use new evidence like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The people that push a conspiracy theory will change disqualifying evidence as evidence of an even larger conspiracy.

Watergate is a great example. Again to paraphrase the speaker, we know more about Watergate now than we ever have. We know the identity of Deep Throat. We know each player in the game and aside from the gaps in the Nixon Tapes, the conspiracy is well spelled out. However, if we go back to 2-3 weeks before the Saturday Night Massacre, all we knew was there was a burglary and a couple of guys plead guilty, and there was a revelation that the Nixon Tapes existed. At this point, there was a lot of a smoke but no fire. No one knew about the smoking gun. Deep Throat was a mystery leaker. It would have been almost tinfoil at the time to suggest that Nixon was a mastermind behind the cover up, but that's what happened.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

quote:

Melissa Dillon, who voted for the first time in 2016 and supported Mr. Trump, said that she doesn't follow politics. To her, it was temperament and personality that drew her to Mr. Trump.

"We could either have an "alpha male" or an "alpha female." I think if you ask any woman or married man out there, then they will tell you how well having an "alpha female" in charge works and what they are like. There's words people all know and use for them.

InternalizedMisogyny.txt

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InternalizedMisogyny.txt

"Awesome"? "Competent"? "Better than a comparable man because they sort of have to be"?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I think that complaint may come from an alternate universe where Abe Simpson is a real person instead of a cartoon character.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Willie Tomg posted:

Was Obama selling out to Iran having secret communications with the regime when brokering the nuclear deal?

According to RWM yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dexo posted:

Better question is, Why the gently caress is Newt still alive. Because holy poo poo.

Newt nothing, if Hillary was a murder-tastic person like the Right claim she is then Rush Limbaugh would've died the most horrific death possible back in the 90s (and the world would've been a better place for it).

Newt's a shithead, but it'd take a lot for him to top Rush "lol ur teenage daughter is an ugly bitch dog" Limbaugh.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You guys spent 2 entire pages arguing with this guy, who has a rap sheet a mile long for being idiotic and a troll for years.

At this point it's pretty well established that most goons are idiot moths attracted to the troll flame.

Deadulus posted:

This is weird as poo poo.

Where are their normal readers going? Are they actually going to MSM to read about trump because Breitbart et al won't cover it? Or are they just skipping the news? I know a lot of RWM types and they loving hate anything going outside their bubble.

They're probably going to Infowars and other further/crazier right wing outlets.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I actually bet the white house has some panic room that can't be opened by from the outside. Since if there was intruders they could just doom II their way to stealing a keycard and getting in. It would be amazing if the trump administration just ended with him being impeached and locking himself in a room no one can get him to come out like the ending of mother 3.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple locations like this in the WH.

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm more curious how the infowars crowd turns out. It's amazing seeing Jones go on and on about how the Feds are now good.

All those FEMA camps are actually like summer camps, you know with arts and crafts, not murder and mass graves! :beck:

Groovelord Neato posted:

mcmaster wrote an entire goddamn book about how military commanders hosed the american people and their own soldiers by not being vocal about what a bad idea vietnam was. how does he not realize he's going to be looked upon the same way by history.

Given how much respect people have for him I kinda want to believe he's fully aware of this and has adopted a "gently caress what people think of me I'll set myself on fire to keep this administration from destroying the US."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm curious where Europe goes from here. The USA is clearly unreliable as a partner, as Trump and a good majority of the GOP would rather slobber the dicks of such fantastic nations like the KSA and Russia.

In a post Brexit-Trump world, what does Europe do? The USA can't be relied upon as our political leadership is a loving joke. Russia is an existential threat again. AND you can expect more refugees as Africa/Middle-East continue to suffer from the effects of climate change, terrorism, and years of lovely leadership.

The good news is, the European voting system isn't as moronic as the USA's, so Greet Wilder's and Le Pen didn't win and it looks like Merkel will continue on in Germany. Does Europe reform the EU? Do they begin to re-do NATO as less of a North American alliance and a more mainlaind Euro-Centric one? The next decade will be interesting as the political alliances we have grown used to since the Cold War era fall apart and reform.

They will ride it out and work around him till a sane administration comes back in.

They are openly snubbing Trump as he has zero credibility or social skills. They aren't going to change their positions because Trump keeps trying to send them a bill for 2% of their GDP to be made out to the US of A. Even Teresa May is giving him dirty looks.

NATO will be fine. They will spend more in line with the perceived threat Russia is showing. Russia's economy is a dumpster fire and taking more ruined real estate(Donstesk) isn't going to help them. Ukraine isn't in the best of shape but they held out despite Putin's "Covert" direct support supplying men and materials.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

McMaster is the one who debases himself over a lovely, unacceptable politician.
Mcmagic is the one who hates Joe Manchin.

:thunk:

The glory days of US Steel being one of the largest companies in the world. When Pittsburgh's steel mills still ran at full speed and the city's air and landscape made Beijing and Shanghai's look like the beautiful mountains of Montana that overlook the east coast of the US.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Evil Fluffy posted:

The glory days of US Steel being one of the largest companies in the world. When Pittsburgh's steel mills still ran at full speed and the city's air and landscape made Beijing and Shanghai's look like the beautiful mountains of Montana that overlook the east coast of the US.

Yeah, but it's back when their penis still worked, long before the ravages of high blood pressure and the 'beetus, so they're quite attached to their memory of that time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't US Steel still a massively huge company, despite all the 80s downsizing?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"All you hear is investigating this, investigating that. I'm tired of it," he said, exasperated. "I don't think he's ever been given a chance to do what he could do."

And this is how Trump supporters are going to rationalize his failure to keep his campaign promises in 4 years. It was the Democrats/THE SWAMP/etc out to get Trump.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Confounding Factor posted:

And this is how Trump supporters are going to rationalize his failure to keep his campaign promises in 4 years. It was the Democrats/THE SWAMP/etc out to get Trump.

Some, but not all. Trump needs to grow his coalition to win next time, and I can't imagine he's done anything to do that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Confounding Factor posted:

I thought you couldn't Stump the Trump :smugdon:

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
the best part of those trump supporter quotes is how loving old they all are.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Trump is almost universally seen as a complete idiot in the EU, even among the far right. EU politicians are just going to nod their heads going "uh-huh, whatever you say" while waiting for his impeachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Liu posted:

the best part of those trump supporter quotes is how loving old they all are.

I may be an evil manchild in suburban middle America

But I get awfully cheerful when I think of these loving pieces of poo poo dying because of who they voted in while the younger, virile people are more able to balance FOOD and VITAL MEDICATIONS. Where's Meals on Wheels, Nana? Where's Meals On Wheels, Pop-Pop? I thought you were FRIENDS with the Mexicans being paid by the government to deliver you food. Where ever did they go once their program was completely eliminated by Donald Trump? You were JUST BARELY making do with the Obama-era Social Security checks?! Well, good thing you elected the retard who thinks everyone can survive with 40% less of their only source of income. Just reach back into that billion Daddy left you, like he did! That's really pulling yourself up by your bootstraps!

• Locked thread