Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Liu posted:

the best part of those trump supporter quotes is how loving old they all are.

And beyond that, they seem to have no awareness that history moves forward. Like, gently caress, how do they think their grandparents felt about living through the change from horse-drawn carriages, to cars, to man being able to loving fly? No, they're uniquely hard-done-by and the first generation that's ever had to deal with rapid cultural changes :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

PT6A posted:

And beyond that, they seem to have no awareness that history moves forward. Like, gently caress, how do they think their grandparents felt about living through the change from horse-drawn carriages, to cars, to man being able to loving fly? No, they're uniquely hard-done-by and the first generation that's ever had to deal with rapid cultural changes :rolleyes:

The Boomers are the first generation to actively dismantle everything that made their society good for short-term gains. They just don't understand how their own actions are directly responsible for the suffering they're enduring now.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lightning Lord posted:

Isn't US Steel still a massively huge company, despite all the 80s downsizing?

Still pretty big, yep. Also, fun fact, they owned Marvel for a while too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868502832974049280

good lord I wish there was a photo of this

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ekster posted:

Trump is almost universally seen as a complete idiot in the EU, even among the far right. EU politicians are just going to nod their heads going "uh-huh, whatever you say" while waiting for his impeachment.

Case in point:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lightning Lord posted:

30-40000 employees, IIRC, so it's pretty big but not some several hundred thousand employee behemoth.

I don't know who will be POTUS after Trump but I pray to god it's a political prodigy because they're going to have so much work to do unfucking our foreign relations and image in general.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Please Allah, I've been a good boy this week.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Trump is the quintessential Ugly American.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Was this posted?
https://twitter.com/pacelattin/status/867949635028959232

Could be out of context, but drat he looks lost.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't know who will be POTUS after Trump but I pray to god it's a political prodigy because they're going to have so much work to do unfucking our foreign relations and image in general.

My abiding short term fear for this administration is basically:

1) Putin invades the Baltics

2) Trump does not respond to support NATO or even actively helps the Russians, permanently destroying international faith in U.S. commitments and permanently destabilizing NATO

OR

3) through confusion and stupidity a nuclear war happens

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Yes. Our primary production of Steel is amazing, modern and highly regarded around the world. We just need 10 people total nowadays to output more steel than the entire industry could do in a calendar year a hundred years ago. The absolute quality of every charge will also be higher today than it was back then.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm thinking we're going to need a good three presidential terms of uninterrupted non-idiocy before anyone starts really trusting us on a deep level again: three, to be clear, so that after the second term of sanity it's proven that we don't all just pendulum swing back into insanity just to see what it feels like.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How come reality is funnier than any joke I can come up with for this?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I don't see how Putin could invade the Baltics without it turning into nuclear war even without the US.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RZA Encryption posted:

Was this posted?

I love Bibi's expression.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ekster posted:

I don't see how Putin could invade the Baltics without it turning into nuclear war even without the US.

The Baltics don't have nukes, what are you talking about

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Again, this whole cognitive decline thing they are working toward is the tool he uses to escape prosecution or liability in other cases. It's too obvious to not be the case.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RZA Encryption posted:

Was this posted?

Yes many times, though without the supposed "reports"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The lead from the behind couldnt be more encapsulated by this, if theres no photo of this God does not exist.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ice Phisherman posted:

Still pretty big, yep. Also, fun fact, they owned Marvel for a while too.

Now i'm imagining a version of the MCU where every movie is just a poorly disguised ad for american steel

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 27, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Again, this whole cognitive decline thing they are working toward is the tool he uses to escape prosecution or liability in other cases. It's too obvious to not be the case.

That baboon is way too stupid to pull that off and his ego would never allow it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Baltics don't have nukes, what are you talking about

Yes, but France and the UK do and if they don't come to intervene there's no point to NATO whatsoever.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Ekster posted:

Yes, but France and the UK do and if they don't come to intervene there's no point to NATO whatsoever.

Sure but why would they intervene with nukes? Idgi

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
The rascal presidency.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Confounding Factor posted:

And this is how Trump supporters are going to rationalize his failure to keep his campaign promises in 4 years. It was the Democrats/THE SWAMP/etc out to get Trump.

Obama couldn't enact his agenda because of republican obstruction!

Imagine how impotent you feel screaming that into the void, and it'll make you feel a bit better about it being their turn

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

Sure but why would they intervene with nukes? Idgi

It wouldn't be a proxy war (like in Ukraine) but a direct attack on NATO. When two nuclear powers attack each other directly how can you be sure one of the sides isn't going to pre-emptively take the other one out?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/868507209508036609

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hehas diabetes, right? There's no way he doesn't have diabetes.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Ekster posted:

It wouldn't be a proxy war (like in Ukraine) but a direct attack on NATO. When two nuclear powers attack each other directly how can you be sure one of the sides isn't going to pre-emptively take the other one out?

I guess "no nukes ever being used in combat since the US in WW2, which was also the first time ever" is a pretty good starting point to make assumptions :shrug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Confounding Factor posted:

And this is how Trump supporters are going to rationalize his failure to keep his campaign promises in 4 years. It was the Democrats/THE SWAMP/etc out to get Trump.

"people need to stop being mean to poor little Donnie and let him do what he wants. Now let me tell you about how Obama was the worst president ever because he couldn't get anything done"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

business hammocks posted:

According to his doctor he is a man of perfect health and his energy reserves are still near capacity because he doesnt do things like walk or use stairs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The more pressing issue is that he's pretty clearly going senile, in addition to being physically unwell.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Pages back, but I've seen them in Newfoundland. :shrug:

I'm from Newfoundland and while I've never seen a confederate flag here I do have a super Christian classmate from iran who is a massive trump fan. Wears a make canada great again hat almost every day.

He feels trump stands for proper family values.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

He's the healthiest!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

2nd Rate Poster posted:

The rascal presidency.

:five:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

If Hillary had this kind of awesome hit squad that has a body count of 100+, gently caress, why is Trump alive :confused:

He isn't, that's Hillary in a fat suit, which is why everything is being hosed up so badly! - Next alt-right :tinfoil: crusade.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My abiding short term fear for this administration is basically:

1) Putin invades the Baltics

2) Trump does not respond to support NATO or even actively helps the Russians, permanently destroying international faith in U.S. commitments and permanently destabilizing NATO

OR

3) through confusion and stupidity a nuclear war happens

I've been thinking quite a bit about this scenario recently.

Isn't having Trump in this situation, under investigation and under microscopic scrutiny specifically with respect to suspicion of him being in Russia's pocket, making it a bit problematic for Putin to execute such a move?

I mean, if Trump was even the slightest bit slick, and didn't proudly broadcast what a whore for the Kremlin he is and leave gigantic red flags all over the place about it, he could claim a strategic shift with respect to Russia policy and fail to act. There would still be an outcry but not necessarily one that would threaten to end his presidency. "They're just protecting their interests in the region, they have a legitimate claim because yadah yada" etc.

But now, if Trump failed to act, he'd prove the case. So either he would have to do SOMETHING, even if token, or look like a puppet. And lifting sanctions would seem right out.

So I really wonder if Trump staying in office actually hampers Putin a bit from making more aggressive military moves at the moment?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/868481036656705536
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868509584465514496
https://twitter.com/nytimesbusiness/status/868508422429388800
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/868141732889714691
https://twitter.com/21logician/status/868331235311054848

And Harwood throwing a bit of shade
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/868508374601785346

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The appropriate ending to the Trump Administration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU&t=149s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

So this just confirms that the WH staff has hidden the office's ability to contact other heads of state directly. Like. Clearly they haven't told him that he can directly contact our allies. Probably for the best, can you imagine getting a 3am call from Trump to complain about a CNN story?

• Locked thread