Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

corn in the bible posted:

was rogue galaxy any good

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

The five or so hours I played of it recently were a total slog. I can imagine that game really picking up and getting into a fun stride at some point, but holy poo poo it doesn't wanna get you there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It starts great but 9/10 goons quit before i did and i loving quit that game hard as gently caress cause its a pain in the rear end

I beat mining world (like world 4 or 5) with the cool dog friend. Most people dont get out of the prison.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4xIdjj2Ag

Pretty good video game history lesson with arcades, Sony entering the console race, and the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit systems all converging with the release of Mortal Kombat 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pretty cool and has a lot of neat mechanics but the AI partners kinda suck and hold back the gameplay at every new planet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

It starts great but 9/10 goons quit before i did and i loving quit that game hard as gently caress cause its a pain in the rear end

I beat mining world (like world 4 or 5) with the cool dog friend. Most people dont get out of the prison.

Yeah I tapped out at the prison as well. I totally love the tone and settin they went for, and the gameplay is fun but when you land on prison planet and suddenly your 2 buddies are dying to every hit and using all your potions, I couldn't handle it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

At that point you either learn the insane power that is AoE skills and get bored cuz the game is trivial, or you don't, get frustrated at the difficulty spike and never play again. It's a shame though, that game comes so close to being great, it just really needs a major balance patch.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

It pushed a lot of buttons for me when it came out: weapons that gained exp, a diverse cast, a unique crafting mechanic and method of unlocking skills, and a mode of transport ripped straight from the cover of a Spelljammers book. Unfortunately it has no respect for your time and is hard to justify going back to. I'm not going to bother rehosting it, but check out this map of a mid game dungeon https://goo.gl/images/D23wUI. Nothing like climbing an eight-story maze with random encounters only to do it again but slightly different.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I just got bored right away and wished I was playing Dark Cloud 3.

But I could say that about literally everything I tried that they made afterwards, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's yet another tedious Level 5 grindfest that could have been fun if all it's systems weren't designed by someone​ with autism.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ha HA! autism.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Her Story good? I remember it winning a bunch of awards

yeah it's one of the best 3-4 hours of gaming i've ever done

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy when it came out on PlayStation 2, and bought it right away on PlayStation 4 but when I tried playing it again on PS4 I just couldn't stomach the game anymore. PS2 era games are not fun to play anymore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bully is still fun once you get used to the unorthodox controls again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

PS2 era games are not fun to play anymore.

This is a bold statement

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's less insane than most of his posts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Bully is still fun once you get used to the unorthodox controls again.

I was just thinking of re playing that last night. It's so good. More games should be GTA Persona

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's still my favourite R* game, with RDR in second place because I didn't like the open world as much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rumors of bully 2 were floating around a while back

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

This is a bold statement

I am pretty sure i said come in! has extensive brain damage and we should be nice to them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nah, you guys are just so use to having horrible opinions that you don't know when a good one actually pops up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like rogue galaxy. i actually beat it, unlike xenoblade

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I enjoyed Rogue Galaxy when it came out on PlayStation 2, and bought it right away on PlayStation 4 but when I tried playing it again on PS4 I just couldn't stomach the game anymore. PS2 era games are not fun to play anymore.

Nah some of them still are

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A cool PS2 game is metal gear solid 2. It runs at 60FPS. Incredible

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think Xenoblade is that great but there's nothing it does worse than Rogue Galaxy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The boring as poo poo combat for starters

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Have you played Xenoblade X? Imagine managing to make piloting giant robots as unfun as possible. I still finished that game but it was disappointing in a lot of ways where it shouldn't have been.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i beat FF12 and i beat rogue galaxy but thinking of xenoblade's combat again makes me want to take a nap at my desk. whee mashing cooldowns as looped animations play over and over. FF12 got pegged as the 'single-player MMO' but xenoblade is the one that actually feels like playing an MMO, and not a good one

on a mildly funny note i stopped at xenoblade where some of you stopped at rogue galaxy: the prison

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Rogue Galaxy might be the only game I've ever played where I got to the boss of the game and just gave up because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I said come in! posted:

PS2 era games are not fun to play anymore.

This is the opinion of a crazy person that is also wrong. Plenty of games from that era hold up really well and Rogue Galaxy was always mediocre

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat FF12 and i beat rogue galaxy but thinking of xenoblade's combat again makes me want to take a nap at my desk. whee mashing cooldowns as looped animations play over and over. FF12 got pegged as the 'single-player MMO' but xenoblade is the one that actually feels like playing an MMO, and not a good one

on a mildly funny note i stopped at xenoblade where some of you stopped at rogue galaxy: the prison

The prison in xenoblade is like 3 times further than in rg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Rogue Galaxy might be the only game I've ever played where I got to the boss of the game and just gave up because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I do this in rpgs a fair bit if i get there underleveled

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

The prison in xenoblade is like 3 times further than in rg
i honestly wouldn't know, cause it's been so long since i played both games. I just know I stopped at A Point in xenoblade, whether it was early or middle of the game, and that point was the prison island

mostly if a JRPG's combat doesn't keep me entertained it will not hold me for long

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

glam rock hamhock posted:

I turned off the final boss of Star Ocean 2's "limiter" without really considering exactly how bad that would be, since I planned to do some postgame content and stuff

I spent an entire evening losing to him and never played the game again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

See now here is a quality game I would play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What game is this? I would play this game.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I started Steambot Chronicles and Devil Summoner: Raidou last night and been flipflopping between the two. It feels like I accidentally picked two of the most boring games on the planet to play back to back, their controls and plot progression is so glacial.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I do this in rpgs a fair bit if i get there underleveled

My problem in Rogue Galaxy was for the last form of the boss of the game, you turned into this giant thing to fight it and the form you turned into had a completely new set of moves with no chance to really get used to them. It's also not like they made the boss easy to make it all just a fun last phase. If I recall correctly the boss was still a bitch and could kill you pretty easily. Also, I might be misremembering but I also think the lead up to that boss was the sort of typical "all your characters do a phase of the boss fight" type thing, which wasn't hard but took forever and if you died on the last form, you had to start from the beginning of the fight. As I said, I might be misremembering that but at the very least, if you shut off the game you'd have to start from the beginning and either way gently caress that. All of this would have been moot if the game had a compelling plot that I wanted to see the end of but :shrug:

Other than that the closest I've come to getting that far in a game without beating it was probably the Dreamcast Ecco the Dolphin game, where I gave up on the next to last level, which I felt I could beat with practice but I didn't feel like it then and that's a really hard game to go back to. Unlike with Rogue Galaxy, I regret not beating that one because it'd be nice to be able to say I beat what most consider to be an unusually hard game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thinking about ps2 games i still like to play.... mgs3, chulip, god hand, p4, we love katamari... the list goes on, as they say

• Locked thread