Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Leofish posted:

Just reading OF posts out loud and making fun of them? Or do you want, like, guests, or interviews with devs or voice actors? I don't listen to any gaming podcasts, so I don't know what people are in to.

This sounds about right actually. I'd love something that's basically The F Plus on OF safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
LimitBreakRadio's people also like to consider themselves "shock jocks" for wishing AIDS on people, endorsing doxxing and launching personal attacks. Listen to them if you want to feel pity for mankind and not for actual entertainment.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leofish posted:

What kind of talk would one even want from a podcast about this game? Boss strats? Talk about the community? Just reading OF posts out loud and making fun of them? Or do you want, like, guests, or interviews with devs or voice actors? I don't listen to any gaming podcasts, so I don't know what people are in to.

Random poo poo, live letters, community events (like A Stage Reborn doing plays), lore, new patch stuff, PF failures and trends and so forth.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

What kind of talk would one even want from a podcast about this game? Boss strats? Talk about the community? Just reading OF posts out loud and making fun of them? Or do you want, like, guests, or interviews with devs or voice actors? I don't listen to any gaming podcasts, so I don't know what people are in to.

Well, apparently there's *something* to do. TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox seem to have leveraged a career out of doing a WoW podcast back in the day. What was it called, Blue Plz or something like that?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there's enough a; people playing wow and b; content in wow to actually support a podcast, though. in most patches, wow is at least adding some weird new thing that you can talk about. ffxiv's patches are high-quality, released like clockwork, but are also always the exact same thing.

ffxiv has a playerbase orders of magnitudes smaller than wow's and the vast majority of ffxiv players don't even engage in content that would make sense to have a podcast about.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Need a glamour tips podcast

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like LBR because they're the only podcast I know of that actually criticizes the game, and I'm not surprised that people ITT think that they hate the game or yoship or whatever because of that.

Criticism is good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Fister Roboto posted:

I like LBR because they're the only podcast I know of that actually criticizes the game, and I'm not surprised that people ITT think that they hate the game or yoship or whatever because of that.

Criticism is good.

Considering the elitist attitude they showed during the time I listened today, I'm not really all that surprised that you'd stick up for them tbh

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know any hardcore guys that have issue with it. The opinions I hear are along the lines of:

1 - I can boost an alt to help raiding
2 - I can convince my friends from WoW to get into the end-game and they can't complain about having to go through everything else

personally I expect to be near 60 by the time stormblood hits, but I'm still buying a jump potion just so I can stop subjecting myself to the MSQ

I'm a good person and I don't deserve this

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

One of our goals was to finally get to floor 200 of potd pre-expansion. After a heart wrenching wipe on 194, we finally did it!

PotD is some of the best content in the game, I just wish we didn't have to start at floor 50 every time. 150 would be a big high, I suppose, but at least floor 100 would make it feel less like a chore to restart to get to the fun levels.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there's enough a; people playing wow and b; content in wow to actually support a podcast, though. in most patches, wow is at least adding some weird new thing that you can talk about. ffxiv's patches are high-quality, released like clockwork, but are also always the exact same thing.

ffxiv has a playerbase orders of magnitudes smaller than wow's and the vast majority of ffxiv players don't even engage in content that would make sense to have a podcast about.

Yeah. Pretty much this. Hell, there's still sites like MMO-Champion up around WoW. A WoW podcast has less of a place now since it's become more casual. But I think back to when I used to raid 15+ hours a week and I very easily could have been on a podcast and talked about WoW for two hours a week.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Criticism is good.

criticism *can* be good. 'other people should have to do the same awful grind i did or i think they're assholes!' isn't really criticism, though, it's literal foot-stomping. anything that increases new player accessibility and draw is good for the game and if you think otherwise you're literally just wrong and are on the wrong side of history w/r/t every MMO that there's ever been.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is that actually what they're saying, or is it just the straw argument that you've reduced it down to? Also I agree that getting new people into the game is good, but I don't think that literally anything that does that would be good. "Anything" includes a lot of really stupid poo poo including actual pay to win bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that actually what they're saying, or is it just the straw argument that you've reduced it down to? Also I agree that getting new people into the game is good, but I don't think that literally anything that does that would be good. "Anything" includes a lot of really stupid poo poo including actual pay to win.

I listened to enough to know that, yes, they are genuinely not making any particularly good arguments. If you feel differently please feel free to tell me what I missed but I gave it a shot and they genuinely seemed like huge negative assholes who mistake whining for criticism.

I'm freely admitting I'm basing this off a small sample but I also don't generally agree with the viewpoint that being hugely negative is the same as being critical.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about how serious some people are taking the Jump Potion thing. I never really hang out on Twitch, but I saw a FFXIV radio show on there and decided to check it out. One dude is so incensed by the idea of a Jump Potion that his logical conclusion is that FFXIV will be F2P followed by it becoming P2W sooner rather than later.

I get that hardcore guys are upset that some casual players are going to suddenly jump toward their position. I don't totally feel the same way, but I understand some of their points. This stuff is nuts though. I'm not making GBS threads on the podcast or anything, but it's seriously blowing my mind to hear this. There is some serious salt goin around.

https://www.twitch.tv/limitbreakradio
The only people who are upset are the same shitters you see doing <400 DPS in Nidhogg EX. Other popular topics they talk about are them paying their own sub so you have zero input on how poorly they play.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that actually what they're saying, or is it just the straw argument that you've reduced it down to? Also I agree that getting new people into the game is good, but I don't think that literally anything that does that would be good. "Anything" includes a lot of really stupid poo poo including actual pay to win bullshit.

do you think that jump potions are pay to win bullshit?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No. Next question.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

In the few minutes I saw, I heard:

Jump potions are a transition to f2p and then to p2w
Spending money on marketing is disrepespect to vet players
The only reason WoW could implement jump potions is that they had 10 million players and could afford to shed them
Jump potions took way too much development budget, that should have gone to veteran content

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

No. Next question.

Does pineapple belong on pizza?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

i mean, they alternatively described them as 'pay2win' (what exactly you're 'winning' at is entirely unclear because a fresh 60 still can't do a whole loving lot in this game) and for 'casuals' (which is dumb, because i play a poo poo ton of this game and i'm definitely buying at least one so i can play with my friends on a different server and still play with goons), and that was based on my sample of listening for like five minutes. i'm sure there'd be more degenerate exaggeration to be had if i wanted to listen to a middle-aged man use a faux-radio voice to haterant about an anime catgirl mmo.

there is literally zero barrier of actual player skill to reach 60. there's no reason to treat it as some milestone of player achievement when it's only requirement is an acceptance of tedium and a poo poo ton of free time. i'm sorry that the podcast you like is hosted by sad little men who feel threatened when their crowning achievements can be matched by an investment of 50 dollars, but there's no actual criticism to be had in their hand-wringing, they're just assholes.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 29, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, they alternatively described them as 'pay2win' (what exactly you're 'winning' at is entirely unclear because a fresh 60 still can't do a whole loving lot in this game) and for 'casuals' (which is dumb, because i play a poo poo ton of this game and i'm definitely buying at least one so i can play with my friends on a different server and still play with goons), and that was based on my sample of listening for like five minutes. i'm sure there'd be more degenerate exaggeration to be had if i wanted to listen to a middle-aged man use a faux-radio voice to haterant about an anime catgirl mmo.

there is literally zero barrier of actual player skill to reach 60. there's no reason to treat it as some milestone of player achievement when it's only requirement is an acceptance of tedium and a poo poo ton of free time. i'm sorry that the podcast you like is hosted by sad little men who feel threatened when their crowning achievements can be matched by an investment of 50 dollars, but there's no actual criticism to be had in their hand-wringing, they're just assholes.

It's just a podcast dude.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Does pineapple belong on pizza?

*sweats profusely*

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Is FFXIV a sandwich?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

vOv posted:

Is FFXIV a sandwich?

A hotdog.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The concept of putting combos into a single button came up from a caller. They spent a hefty amount of time explaining why that sort of condensed gameplay would be boring to them. Fine, I've made that same argument myself even if it's not really all that logical. After all, from the podcasters, they aren't straight anti-casual. They want the game to cater to both equally. So one guy in the chat says "What if they just had the option for one way or the other?" They spent the next 10 minutes talking about what a stupid idea they thought that was. I don't get that sort of attitude.

I mean sure, they pay to play. Hell, from what the guy said, he pays way more than I do and plays way more than I ever have/will. When they say they love the game, I believe them. But you can totally be overly negative about something you care about. I see it all the time in the pro wrestling community hilariously enough. Maybe that's why Stormblood was at Wrestlemania.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

dreffen posted:

A hotdog.

A baked potato grande.

spidergoats
May 20, 2001
Sometimes you just want to spam Skull Sunder by itself, instead of in your combo. Why take away the option to do that?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol, of course Fister Roboto likes LBR.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
As a vet player, the main thing I want that might spit in the eye of new players is a god drat dungeon blacklist. Let me never have to step foot into 3-5 dungeons ever again. I have been playing this game for 3+ years now and I am so over copperbell mines (and sastasha, totorak, halatali and tam tara, in that order).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Failboattootoot posted:

As a vet player, the main thing I want that might spit in the eye of new players is a god drat dungeon blacklist. Let me never have to step foot into 3-5 dungeons ever again. I have been playing this game for 3+ years now and I am so over copperbell mines (and sastasha, totorak, halatali and tam tara, in that order).

I think something like this would be a good idea, but only if you have 4 people ready to go. You'd still get the roulette bonus but the party leader could black out a few dungeons. I would think 3 is a reasonable number. I think having all the old story dungeons in the leveling roulette is ultimately a good thing because it at least ensures there will be players running the old content.

One thing I would love with level-synced dungeons would be the ability to keep your abilities, but with the numbers scaled down. One could argue it wouldn't be fair to newbies to only have what they'd naturally have at level 17 while you have all 60 levels worth of stuff, but I'd say it would show off what's coming up if you stick with it. Dazzle the new player with all the awesome skills they can get and encourage them to progress if only to be able to one day drop Flares on things.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Leofish posted:

I think something like this would be a good idea, but only if you have 4 people ready to go. You'd still get the roulette bonus but the party leader could black out a few dungeons. I would think 3 is a reasonable number. I think having all the old story dungeons in the leveling roulette is ultimately a good thing because it at least ensures there will be players running the old content.

One thing I would love with level-synced dungeons would be the ability to keep your abilities, but with the numbers scaled down. One could argue it wouldn't be fair to newbies to only have what they'd naturally have at level 17 while you have all 60 levels worth of stuff, but I'd say it would show off what's coming up if you stick with it. Dazzle the new player with all the awesome skills they can get and encourage them to progress if only to be able to one day drop Flares on things.

Agreed. If I could never have to play as a pre-True Thrust Lancer ever again that would be super. I don't main Dragoon, but that is the most boring poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Leofish posted:

I've really been wanting a level sync like this too. Seems like it wouldn't be too bad, just apply some sort of scale similar to how ilevel sync affects gear. SB collapsing upgraded skills into each other will at least partially solve the issue of having to swap outdated skills back to your bars.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I've really been wanting a level sync like this too. Seems like it wouldn't be too bad, just apply some sort of scale similar to how ilevel sync affects gear. SB collapsing upgraded skills into each other will at least partially solve the issue of having to swap outdated skills back to your bars.
Yeah but you also have the issue of jobs at 70 in SB will have roughly the same number of skills they say as 60s do now, meaning you'll have even fewer skills at your disposal at lower levels now. At some point we will have to sun win abilities it's inevitable so they'v should just do it

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everyone's VAs changed in HW. Nearly all of them change for the better, Alphinaud was jarring but ends up being real good, and tragically, the one character whose voice gets straight up worse is Merlwyb. :(

For some reason I associate British accents in Japanese games with super low budget dubbing, so it took me a long time to warm up to the new voices. I'm not sure which developer's fault that is, probably some bad Playstation 2 acting from a long time ago.

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah, this is why I almost never do the leveling roulette anymore (unless it's with other high-ish level FC members). It felt like all I would ever get was tam-tara, sastasha, and copperbell

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That loving thing where you queue with a bunch of 50+ friends and get Totorak

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Gally posted:

One of our goals was to finally get to floor 200 of potd pre-expansion. After a heart wrenching wipe on 194, we finally did it!

PotD is some of the best content in the game, I just wish we didn't have to start at floor 50 every time. 150 would be a big high, I suppose, but at least floor 100 would make it feel less like a chore to restart to get to the fun levels.

Boy that pink cat sure has a glamour

what is it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Same. Answers is a good rear end song but it like all the 1.0 music was written in a vacuum without any idea of the context it would be used in, they got super lucky that when they were scrolling through their Uematsu music looking for a song to use for the end of an era stuff that it was alphabetically the first in the list.

Dragonsong has a lot more thematic weight cause its actually about something.

Yeah! Everytime, I hear Dragonsong in my head, I hear nidhogg screaming something in the dragon voice. I still haven't played ex, but the regular nidhogg fight was a fantastic ending to that plotline. And the difficulty seemed just about right for the duty finder.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

looks like the sky pirate chest of aiming, wind silk pants, and the ffx Tidus shoes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

For some reason I associate British accents in Japanese games with super low budget dubbing, so it took me a long time to warm up to the new voices. I'm not sure which developer's fault that is, probably some bad Playstation 2 acting from a long time ago.

It *is* low-budget. Why pay for Hollywood, when you can pay for perfectly-good English speakers in London?

As mentioned before, Merlwyb's VA was an outright downgrade, what with her ARR lines being delivered by Jean Gilpin, ironically a Briton herself, who moved to LA in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

• Locked thread