Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

As a new player on the olvia channels, especially with the weekend exp bonus, your level is going to outpace your gear very rapidly. You'll probably start noticing it around level 40, and if not by then, you'll definitely notice once you're 50 or 51 and start looking towards mediah content. Mediah being stuff east of heidel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I'd say that with the current leveling and item curve, new players won't run into anything remotely challenging until late 40s when you hit SW Calpheon. Basically with all the free poo poo, +5 armor and +7 weapons trivialize everything up until then. There, things actually will take more than one hit and can actually do damage to a +5/+7 geared character, while the Abandoned Monestary / Calpheon Shrine in the area decidedly are not comfortable at that gear level.

However, playing that area with that gear level is pretty fun because of that - to restate what I said a few months back,

lurksion posted:

this game actually does have pretty engaging combat if you aren't overgeared...you have lots of avoidance tools depending on class (blocks, teleports, dodges, attacks that actively move you). However, in practice, people overgear and are in "farm mode" all the time

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 28, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

lurksion posted:

I'd say that with the current leveling and item curve, new players won't run into anything remotely challenging until late 40s when you hit SW Calpheon. Basically with all the free poo poo, +5 armor and +7 weapons trivialize everything up until then. There, things actually will take more than one hit and can actually do damage to a +5/+7 geared character, while the Abandoned Monestary / Calpheon Shrine in the area decidedly are not comfortable at that gear level.

However, playing that area with that gear level is pretty fun because of that - to restate what I said a few months back,

Elites are pretty engaging or at least interesting even if you are geared. The gahaz elite is crazy compared to the regular mobs, and it's not just because of its ridiculous go pool. It does way more damage and uses different and faster attacks.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I have 1000 pearls and a 20% discount, what is the most sensible thing to buy?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

BabyFur Denny posted:

I have 1000 pearls and a 20% discount, what is the most sensible thing to buy?

Are you settled on your class or still looking around? Don't sink cash into inventory/weight unless you are sure since they are character specific. I'd say a pet otherwise, you can pick them up from events/logins here and there, but can never really have enough and they are account bound.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
How do I start this thing. Probs gonna play a wizard or ranger and do I need/want the explorers bundle while its on sale? How do server transfers work do I pick a server when I log in each time and my character moves? Apparently the steam account servers have bonus xp so I want to start there?

edit:
Are there builds where I can gently caress myself forever or do levels not give you points to allocate or can said points be taken back to respec?

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 28, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

You can respect as much as you want up to level 56, which gives you a free respec as a reward and then after that it can be a pain, but at that point it's not like you are changing your spec around, just adding to it.

There are only 2 "servers" so to speak, EU and NA. All the names you see are channels, and your character can hop between them whenever you want, with a cooldown. The vast majority of these channels are identical, they just have different names and guilds congregate on random ones just so they are around each other. If someone is griefing you or the grind spot is full, you can swap channels and try your luck there. People also will kill a world boss on one and try to quickly change channels to the same world boss on another channel that hasn't been killed yet.

The Olvia channels are unique in that they give the weekend 200% exp bonus 24/7 and access to them is limited to new and returning players. No world bosses or node wars occur on those channels but otherwise the world is the same and going to a "normal" channel doesn't prevent you from hopping back to Olvia.

E: as for the explorer bundle, it's a fantastic deal IF you are sold on the game. This is a game with some huge positives and also some negatives, so hard to say to go for it, since nothing in it is things you can't get later. But if the combat and setup looks good to you, it's hard to say you won't at least get $30 of enjoyment as you would another $30 game on steam.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 28, 2017

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

You can respect as much as you want up to level 56, which gives you a free respec as a reward and then after that it can be a pain, but at that point it's not like you are changing your spec around, just adding to it.

There are only 2 "servers" so to speak, EU and NA. All the names you see are channels, and your character can hop between them whenever you want, with a cooldown. The vast majority of these channels are identical, they just have different names and guilds congregate on random ones just so they are around each other. If someone is griefing you or the grind spot is full, you can swap channels and try your luck there. People also will kill a world boss on one and try to quickly change channels to the same world boss on another channel that hasn't been killed yet.

The Olvia channels are unique in that they give the weekend 200% exp bonus 24/7 and access to them is limited to new and returning players. No world bosses or node wars occur on those channels but otherwise the world is the same and going to a "normal" channel doesn't prevent you from hopping back to Olvia.

E: as for the explorer bundle, it's a fantastic deal IF you are sold on the game. This is a game with some huge positives and also some negatives, so hard to say to go for it, since nothing in it is things you can't get later. But if the combat and setup looks good to you, it's hard to say you won't at least get $30 of enjoyment as you would another $30 game on steam.

Thanks I went with explorers. Great advice I appreciate the write up.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

What's a good class for learning the game's mechanics? Also how the hell do you keep track of all your skills/combos?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

What's a good class for learning the game's mechanics? Also how the hell do you keep track of all your skills/combos?

They all have unique styles so choose the one that best fits you. Honestly pvp in this game goes gear>skill>level>class. Are node wars important to you, what role do you want to play in them? Warrior is very strong and will be a bit more forgiving than something like Sorc. Watch videos of their awakening combat because it won't take you long to get the awakening weapon and then you will spend most of your time with it.

Combos seem daunting but they do a decent job in training you as you level. Honestly on Sorc I ended up doing 90% of what I needed do to with the 2 mouse buttons and WASD, add in 1 or 2 more keys and you are drat near 100%. Once they are in muscle memory the combat will just flow.

Some beginner tips:
- Exiting and minimizing to tray puts the game in afk mode. This game is big on that and you can auto-fish, ride your horse in circles, or run in circles while afk. Fishing makes money, you level horses to gain skill and breed them, and running on foot increases your endurance. So it's not bad if you are without a horse for a bit, running is good.

- Always be eating. Health goes up with food (orange and yellow food increases it the most), and food has a 30 min cd so you can't just chow down a stack. It's not a huge deal but try to be eating stuff, even if you just buy whatever the cheapest orange food you can find and it gives you nothing. The specials and knight rations help combat a bunch, but you don't NEED them to level.

- your max energy pool is account based but each character refills that energy with their own pool, even if not logged in. So it's not a bad idea to create a bunch of characters, even if you only level one of them. That way you have alts that you can grab if you need to burn energy on nodes/hiring workers/night vendor. I have one parked at the cows in the starting town and all she ever did was play the milking game for my food production and cash.

- If you get lost as to where to go when doing life skill quests, pull up black spirit and go to guides.

The world is VAST, you can spend all day in one town doing life skill quests if you want to. There are something like 10k quests in game but the only thing you MUST do is the black spirit ones, follow the trail he lays out. Otherwise just do what you find fun.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Is there a guild and how do I join to bug everyone with questions?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

screech on the beach posted:

Is there a guild and how do I join to bug everyone with questions?

http://discord.gg/tXJYW48 and bug someone to invite you

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Also joined the bandwagon with the Steam Sale. Had a question about Amity. Am I supposed to target certain people to raise their amity or try to raise everyone's or something else? I get that I get certain rewards for doing it, but I can't really tell what those rewards are.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Gilg posted:

Also joined the bandwagon with the Steam Sale. Had a question about Amity. Am I supposed to target certain people to raise their amity or try to raise everyone's or something else? I get that I get certain rewards for doing it, but I can't really tell what those rewards are.

Get amity with npcs you want the rewards for. Some of them will show you what they offer you (knowledge, quests, etc visible on the amity meter), and some of them don't. An example of a less visible benefit is amity with trade managers increases the number of times you can bargain--at base it's 3 and you can get it up to 5 pretty easily. Some shops also have amity costs

J
Jun 10, 2001

Gilg posted:

When you hit R on an npc, in the bottom left there is a circular meter that will show what, if anything, unlocks with various amity levels with that NPC. Sometimes you can unlock quests (sometimes these quests can be repeatable daily quests), or bits of knowledge to fill out various knowledge categories (this raises your maximum energy), or unlock an "amity shop." NPCs that have amity shops sell items that cost silver, but also amity to buy. Usually it is 500 amity to unlock the option to purchase the item, then it charges you 200 amity when you buy the item and you have to rebuild the amity to buy more.

Use bdotools.com to figure out what options you should pick in the amity game. The game itself is confusing as heck and even once you begin to understand how it works, a lot of the tooltips are freakin incorrect anyways.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
This game is ridiculously obtuse. It's actually why I like it, I'm having fun trying to figure out how the game works. It's very forgiving about mistakes too, because most things retain a lot of their value.

I wanted to double check with the thread: Is the lead advice still "sell everything and buy the best gear straight from the market"?

If so, what gear do I want to be looking for for a tamer, if I eventually want to PvP? I found a guide that recommends buying a "Taritas full base set" because it's solid in PvP and works across several different classes if I find Tamer to be too lovely, but I don't actually know what that Taritas means or how to buy such things.

Do I just go into the market and look for things named "Taritas" with huge +# next to them? How big of a huge +number should I aim to buy?

Do I also have to buy gemstones or something?

I don't mind saving up for 2 months to buy something, but I'd like to know what I'm saving up for.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Eltoasto posted:

They all have unique styles so choose the one that best fits you. Honestly pvp in this game goes gear>skill>level>class. Are node wars important to you, what role do you want to play in them? Warrior is very strong and will be a bit more forgiving than something like Sorc. Watch videos of their awakening combat because it won't take you long to get the awakening weapon and then you will spend most of your time with it.

Combos seem daunting but they do a decent job in training you as you level. Honestly on Sorc I ended up doing 90% of what I needed do to with the 2 mouse buttons and WASD, add in 1 or 2 more keys and you are drat near 100%. Once they are in muscle memory the combat will just flow.

Some beginner tips:
- Exiting and minimizing to tray puts the game in afk mode. This game is big on that and you can auto-fish, ride your horse in circles, or run in circles while afk. Fishing makes money, you level horses to gain skill and breed them, and running on foot increases your endurance. So it's not bad if you are without a horse for a bit, running is good.

- Always be eating. Health goes up with food (orange and yellow food increases it the most), and food has a 30 min cd so you can't just chow down a stack. It's not a huge deal but try to be eating stuff, even if you just buy whatever the cheapest orange food you can find and it gives you nothing. The specials and knight rations help combat a bunch, but you don't NEED them to level.

- your max energy pool is account based but each character refills that energy with their own pool, even if not logged in. So it's not a bad idea to create a bunch of characters, even if you only level one of them. That way you have alts that you can grab if you need to burn energy on nodes/hiring workers/night vendor. I have one parked at the cows in the starting town and all she ever did was play the milking game for my food production and cash.

- If you get lost as to where to go when doing life skill quests, pull up black spirit and go to guides.

The world is VAST, you can spend all day in one town doing life skill quests if you want to. There are something like 10k quests in game but the only thing you MUST do is the black spirit ones, follow the trail he lays out. Otherwise just do what you find fun.

I have absolutely no interest in pvp. Did I waste $6? Awakening videos just confused me more than anything. Ranger suddenly becomes a melee class? Berserker is now Mega Man? Wizard/Witch do sick O R B tricks? Mostly all I saw was a lot of teleporting around and flashing lights that I didn't really feel taught me anything about the classes. Combat just seems to be a button mashing twitchfest and apparently I'm just not good with that. I don't really feel that the game is teaching me anything about using my skills. Sometimes all I get is a notification that I got X skill and now I have to dig through the skill menu to figure out what button combination I need to press that I'm going to forget I even have in five minutes.

Also making me wait a full day to delete characters is loving retarded, and I sure as hell am not paying $10 per character slot so I can keep trying out classes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Afgad posted:

This game is ridiculously obtuse. It's actually why I like it, I'm having fun trying to figure out how the game works. It's very forgiving about mistakes too, because most things retain a lot of their value.

I wanted to double check with the thread: Is the lead advice still "sell everything and buy the best gear straight from the market"?

If so, what gear do I want to be looking for for a tamer, if I eventually want to PvP? I found a guide that recommends buying a "Taritas full base set" because it's solid in PvP and works across several different classes if I find Tamer to be too lovely, but I don't actually know what that Taritas means or how to buy such things.

Do I just go into the market and look for things named "Taritas" with huge +# next to them? How big of a huge +number should I aim to buy?

Do I also have to buy gemstones or something?

I don't mind saving up for 2 months to buy something, but I'd like to know what I'm saving up for.

That guide looks like it was done before Mediah and the Grunil armor set came out, check out this one.

I never had a problem upgrading my own armor, it's not too difficult to get it to +15 yourself, and then on to DUO. It's just a matter of smashing blackstones into it and repairing with gear off the market. Buying is certainly preferable with high end stuff, but that normally means waiting around for it to get listed and hope you get the bid.

Gems drop off of mobs or you buy them. In your character screen you have attack/cast speed, crit, movement. You basically want to arrange your crystals so that you hit 5 in the important categories for your class.

Tyshalob posted:

I have absolutely no interest in pvp. Did I waste $6?

A lot of people burned out on this game on launch because being a PVP tryhard required endless grinding. Then a 2nd wave of them came back realizing that there was a lot of non-pvp stuff they loved. I hate open world pvp in mmo's, but there are lots of people who play this game for life skills and to run a trade empire. If someone is making GBS threads on you, there are something like 30 other channels you can jump to and get away from them. Make sure you go to the pearl shop and claim the 1 loyalty cost striker item that gives you an additional character slot.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

That guide looks like it was done before Mediah and the Grunil armor set came out, check out this one.
That looks way outdated too. Recommends Yuria still, no discussion of awakening, no mention of Roaring Magical Armor, which is probably BIS and breaks the Grunil set bonus.

Anyway, so you get Roaring Magical Armor from a quest chain from the black spirit starting in SW Calpheon starting in the late 40s involving a murder tour of the area, then it upgrades every level until you get the final piece at L54 (?). You then would pair it up with 3 other pieces of your choice. 2/3 piece Heve is good, Grunil gloves/helm + 1 other is good, or another 3-piece set (3-piece Taritas probably good for Tamer since they use stamina alot iirc).

Target buying +15 or PRI as a start as a poorperson (probably?), though I think TRI is apparently widely considered minimum PvP standards (no idea).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 29, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to stop the unending notification spam on the top of the screen

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

frank.club posted:

Is there any way to stop the unending notification spam on the top of the screen

Checkboxes in gameplay settings...check which you want to NOT get.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! That was getting crazy

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tyshalob posted:

I don't really feel that the game is teaching me anything about using my skills.
Yep it doesn't at all. The conceit is that different skills combo into one another by nature of their animation and CC-effect. And furthermore, some skills in sequence also animation cancel. So when you have things down, PvE is a smooth stream.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the serious pvp is lame as hell but the ability to gank anyone or be ganked is p cool

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat I got an item that's worth 800k on the marketplace? Is that just wishful thinking from the game or what

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FileNotFound posted:

Checkboxes in gameplay settings...check which you want to NOT get.

One thing about this, is it seems to backlog, so if you've been playing for a few hours, and then tried to turn them off, you'll still get them for a few hours.

This caused a lot of confusion when I got notifications that my horse was being attacked after I'd left it at a stable.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

frank.club posted:

drat I got an item that's worth 800k on the marketplace? Is that just wishful thinking from the game or what

I fished overnight and got 4 items worth 700k, plus about 300k in fish. 800k is not all that much, and marketplace values are set.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Well the black spirit started out really cute and had cute dialogue but now at level 50 I'm surprised how much he's changed

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eltoasto posted:

I fished overnight and got 4 items worth 700k, plus about 300k in fish. 800k is not all that much, and marketplace values are set.

Okay, about selling stuff to vendors; I found the imperial guy at the wharf and linked then node from where I got the fish from but no sell option comes up in his dialogue. Did I miss something?

Lmfao what is this npc slave trade mechanic

frank.club fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 29, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

stringball posted:

Well the black spirit started out really cute and had cute dialogue but now at level 50 I'm surprised how much he's changed
He ends up miniaturized again after Mediah quests

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm loving how my dude body checks every single person on the road while doing autorun.

Are there any good running paths? I'm tempted to buy that cash shop speedo and start a running club.

J
Jun 10, 2001

frank.club posted:

Okay, about selling stuff to vendors; I found the imperial guy at the wharf and linked then node from where I got the fish from but no sell option comes up in his dialogue. Did I miss something?

Lmfao what is this npc slave trade mechanic

Imperial fishing npcs only accept certain species of fish, usually yellow and blue tier of fish. They will also only buy a limited quantity of these fish, across all players trying to sell. This quantity has a chance to reset every 3 hours, and is separate on every channel. If you don't see a sell button at all you almost certainly didn't have the right type of fish. You can sell non-imperial fish to the regular trader NPCs - click the NPC button in the top right near the minimap, then click trade manager and it will point you to the nearest one.

Also when it comes to various systems and whatnot in the game, check out dulfy's list of guides. Chances are there is an explanation of it in one of those guides.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

J posted:

Imperial fishing npcs only accept certain species of fish, usually yellow and blue tier of fish. They will also only buy a limited quantity of these fish, across all players trying to sell. This quantity has a chance to reset every 3 hours, and is separate on every channel. If you don't see a sell button at all you almost certainly didn't have the right type of fish. You can sell non-imperial fish to the regular trader NPCs - click the NPC button in the top right near the minimap, then click trade manager and it will point you to the nearest one.

Also when it comes to various systems and whatnot in the game, check out dulfy's list of guides. Chances are there is an explanation of it in one of those guides.

Cool thanks, I found a dude on a beach on Luivano that bought all my fish at price after I connected the node. Now I'm stuck

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

frank.club posted:

Cool thanks, I found a dude on a beach on Luivano that bought all my fish at price after I connected the node. Now I'm stuck

Also if you are going to autofish afk overnight, just do it at an exhausted spawn at one of the town rivers. Check the box to throw out junk, so that way you aren't filling up your inventory with stuff that isn't relics, or blue+ fish.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eltoasto posted:

Also if you are going to autofish afk overnight, just do it at an exhausted spawn at one of the town rivers. Check the box to throw out junk, so that way you aren't filling up your inventory with stuff that isn't relics, or blue+ fish.

It doesn't matter if i stick at an abundant?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

frank.club posted:

The spot with a billion people in Velia is because there's a golden hot spot in a safe zone there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

It keeps green fish too which is just fine for cooking. Dried green fish counts for 1 fish in cooking recipes

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Futaba Anzu posted:

The spot with a billion people in Velia is because there's a golden hot spot in a safe zone there.

Gotcha. Okay I'll head back there after doing some quests

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

frank.club posted:

Do you want fish or relics? Can't get relics if you fill up your inventory with fish. I'm talking about afk fishing for 8 hours or so, you want hotspot if you are going to be there every now and then to sell fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been goofing around with the node investment system a bit as a low level character.

It looks like one of the big benefits is drop rate increases. At what level would that actually be useful enough to start investing energy? As is, if I'm out killing stuff, I expect I'd outlevel the zone before getting a return on my investment.

Is investing energy into cities a good plan? Are any better to start with than others?