Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macarius Wrench posted:

I'm not saying "made for ADHD" kids as some kind of off hand derogatory comment, it genuinely felt like a film made for a 5 year old who can't sit still and its baffling to me that anyone but that demographic could tolerate it

I see your point, but also, it's just so dense with jokes, like Veep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

if you want a REAL zelda game, let me introduce you to this lil' ol' thing called ALUNDRA :smug:

intro was fuckin rad too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTyDw2OthMo&hd=1

*spends half of life killing a boss*

And their health was actually reduced from the Japanese version too

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

credburn posted:

There are methods through which I could record the sound effects, but for a number of reasons I am not going down this route.

beggars can't be choosers. if you really need them so badly that you're willing to consider methods to circumvent twenty-year-old copy protection on weirdly-encoded audio, just run a goddamn aux cable into your mic and record in audacity

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Goddammit our work systems are kaput and I wish they'd just send me home so I could crack into Invisible Inc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i totally forgot i own Invisible Inc and never beat it (and i own it on both steam and ps4 too)

my memory is selective

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Going through my PS4 library to see what PS+ crap I downloaded then forgot about is very illuminating

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

precision posted:

i totally forgot i own Invisible Inc and never beat it (and i own it on both steam and ps4 too)

my memory is selective

I've been meaning to get into it since the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts from a year or 2 back, bounced off it a couple of times but cracked in for 2 hours last night and its got me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The White Dragon posted:

beggars can't be choosers. if you really need them so badly that you're willing to consider methods to circumvent twenty-year-old copy protection on weirdly-encoded audio, just run a goddamn aux cable into your mic and record in audacity

The convenience and time sink required is one reason I'd rather not do it that way, but I would be willing to if that was all there is. The problems come from other considerations; like, can the music be turned off so that the sound effects alone can be recorded? If not, then I need to learn how to isolate the sound from the music; but even if I learn that, will it be clean? And even if the sound can be played without music, the music in the game is very dynamic; music tracks change and overlap depending on how well you're doing in battle, or in some places even if you're walking or running or looking through the main dude's eye-thing.

For what we're trying to do, obtaining the sound effects by extracting them would make this possible. Otherwise, it just isn't; my partner is playing the game and writing the script -- it's up to me to edit it, and I've played through this game twice in the past. I don't feel up for a third run through.

Edit to say: I mean, it IS possible. It's just adding another 40 hours to this task that I don't want to commit to and could, theoretically, be circumvented.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macarius Wrench posted:

I've been meaning to get into it since the Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts from a year or 2 back, bounced off it a couple of times but cracked in for 2 hours last night and its got me.

When I first played it I had just gotten into the newish XCOM which definitely hurt my appreesh of the game on its own merits

Holy crap I'm in a multiplayer match with a dude whose PSN name is Bane. Insanely lucky or a day 1 ps3 owner?

precision fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 30, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

I see your point, but also, it's just so dense with jokes, like Veep

Are you saying it's a modern Airplane?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
gently caress! Woke up this morning to my PS4 saying that there was a problem with my extended storage device and now I pretty much have to redownload 800gb of games because I had to reformat my external hard drive for whatever reason :suicide:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i played h1z1 king of the kill for an hour

update: i refunded h1z1 king of the kill

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

gently caress! Woke up this morning to my PS4 saying that there was a problem with my extended storage device and now I pretty much have to redownload 800gb of games because I had to reformat my external hard drive for whatever reason :suicide:

Hard drives are not storage devices, they are failing machines.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

an actual dog posted:

Literally this

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well luckily I do think anything major was in there and the stuff I'm currently mostly focused on is on my internal HD, but man it's literally gonna take at least a week to redownload all this stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

an actual dog posted:

Your body is kind of like this too, each drop of alcohol and junk food slowly amassing like write errors on a decaying drive.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Your body is kind of like this too, each drop of alcohol and junk food slowly amassing like write errors on a decaying drive.

jesus dude

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sup games, how are you staving off the cold inevitability of death today?

I'm writing a 'fic where Shadow the Hedgehog joins the Payday gang.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I guess you could look at it that way if you like being a loving bummer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Redownloading games, playing Overwatch and watching mostly lovely YouTube videos

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hard drives are basically a bunch of spinning magnets whose ability to store data is powered purely by our wishes and belief that they can do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I guess you could look at it that way if you like being a loving bummer

We should all take care of our bodies with the same intensity that we play video games. If you don't, then you are actually a scrub casual IRL.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

This isn't accurate.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

I moved over the weekend and don't have internet access at home til Wednesday but I did play a Starcraft 1 bot game last night.

Maybe next weekend I'll have time to play some games :unsmith:

e: I lost the bot game btw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I finished Vanquish this morning and whenever the PSN Store updates Im going to get Ys Origin on my Vita and play it outside, if it warms up a bit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can he simply 'buzzsaw' his way into vaults with his little spin move or does he still need The Drill? I don't actually know how he works cause the last Sonic game I played was in 1994

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Saint Freak posted:

Can he simply 'buzzsaw' his way into vaults with his little spin move or does he still need The Drill? I don't actually know how he works cause the last Sonic game I played was in 1994

I have never played a Sonic game and only wrote what I wrote to have Bain be a vape-huffing anime-loving shut-in edgelord but yeah that sounds awesome

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

new romance and prolly the new season of house of cards later

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Can't decide if today is more of a Horizon Zero Dawn day or a Phantom Hourglass day when I get home. I'm making some salmon burgers, probably stopping at the grocery store, and cleaning the bird's cage, so I will be tired, but I don't know if streaming or if yelling at Beedle to open his drat mystery shop will take more energy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

We should all take care of our bodies with the same intensity that we play video games. If you don't, then you are actually a scrub casual IRL.

Ah yes, the stunning and optimistic encouragement of "we are all slowly dying". Sorry I just didn't feel that effect from your post for some strange reason

edit: I have the Five Guys double cheeseburger any% speedrun record

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For those of you that care, Jim Sterling this week changes the look of his show a bit and he talks about it here:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-jimquisition-reposition/

I know there have been several comments when his stuff is posted about how his theme just ended up looking too much like Nazi stuff. He agreed and changed his look to more like... evil ringmaster thing.

quote:

While undergoing constant evolution and audiovisual upgrades, the core of The Jimquisition remained largely the same over the following years, up to and including my independent streak. The tinpot dictator look worked a treat – seeing a fat man with his flag and his lectern, stood behind his videogame toys with an air of self-importance was a fun and funny look.

Unfortunately, it stopped being funny when nazis got popular again.

I’ll spare us all a recounting of the ugly political climate we’ve found ourselves in, but it’s hard to deny we’re in an atmosphere where imagery even vaguely reminiscent of fascistic tendencies is hard to be seen as a joke. It was shortly after the inauguration of Lord Sunkist that I started to notice the questions surrounding my show.

Now, I’m fully aware that a large sector of the discourse surrounding my show aesthetic came from concern trolls who saw this as just another point in their precious culture war. There are plenty of people who wanted to draw some perceived hypocritical distinction between my genuine political beliefs and the political beliefs of people who had finally grown beyond parody.

They were not the sole voices, and they weren’t part of the equation. I was much more concerned about genuine fans of the show who had started to feel understandably put off by the militant dictator theme. For the past year, these concerns have been prominently in my thoughts, and I wondered if there was a compromise.

This is only kind of related to video games but Jim Sterling has been brought up enough in this thread with those Nazi complaints that I feel some people might be interested.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

I've been playing and getting increasingly annoyed by The Evil Within

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Ah yes, the stunning and optimistic encouragement of "we are all slowly dying". Sorry I just didn't feel that effect from your post for some strange reason

edit: I have the Five Guys double cheeseburger any% speedrun record

scrub tier: boohoo i'm gonna die one day that's really sad
mid tier: death is certain, death is certain
pro tier: hahaha we're all gonna die yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah *kickflips out on the street to metal guitar solo*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Actually, the salmon dill burgers look pretty easy to clean up after so maybe I won't be too tired. If my wife is feeling okay I guess I might stream.

Dill weed is both an excellent food ingredient and a good insult.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Joke's on you I lust for death.

Also I've been playing a lot of Endless Space 2 while I wait.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool I think my PC just died

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

pro tier: hahaha we're all gonna die yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah *kickflips out on the street to metal guitar solo*

This one kinda sucks if you know a bunch of people who are really sick, though, the whole Ericksonian "existential optimism" thing gets less fun when it's like "Boy, I hope my friends get better so I don't have to go to a funeral."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool I think my PC just died

Much like us all one day :hai:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

scrub tier: boohoo i'm gonna die one day that's really sad
mid tier: death is certain, death is certain

Well yeah, that's why I eat burgers, because who cares about death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This one kinda sucks if you know a bunch of people who are really sick, though, the whole Ericksonian "existential optimism" thing gets less fun when it's like "Boy, I hope my friends get better so I don't have to go to a funeral."

We live in a cold and uncaring universe, my friend.

• Locked thread