Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's a mistake to apply today's politics to history in that way. Appalachia is a real, distinct region from the deep south or the coastal south. 20 years ago, well within memory for all of us old-ins here in our 30s or so, West Virginia was solidly Democratic, and Virginia was solidly Republican. Go back even further, to my yankee neck of the woods - New Jersey and New York were not exactly hotbeds of union activity, and similarly you can watch Gangs of New York to see what this area was like back then in terms of nativist politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Cultural fit aside, WVU just seems like a better fit in the ACC in terms of football history and where they're normally pulling their talent from. Look the teams they've played the most- Pittsburgh, Penn State, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia Tech. Football-wise, they've always been much more a Northeastern entity.

Maybe an actual WVU fan can weigh in, but that's my impression.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I remember Andichu (I think? Might have been another WVU guy) really wanted the SEC to happen, but it's possible that was just in comparison to Missouri at the time things were up in the air.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

West Virginia the state is at a junction of regions and isn't quite as solid Appalachian as you'd think. Historically, and I mean in our parents lifetimes, they identified with the industrial North more than you might have thought. Those guys in the mine held themselves just as industrial as Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Gary, and Chicago because they knew that's where their coal went. Steel needed them and they knew that. Then you get the panhandles fitting into different states too. They're a Mid-Rustalachian state.

Enough of their rivals are in the ACC that you could drop them in there and they'd have a grand old time. But, that said, they've got some of this upper South vibe that would fit them in with Kentucky and Tennessee. poo poo, Georgia outside of Atlanta is just a flat West Virginia even.

The truly hilarious one, to me, is UVA is culturally SEC, but too bad for that to ever work. They'd bolt right into a slot with Ole Miss as "planter elite."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This ends w Malik getting the starting job, Franks transferring to LSU, UF going 7-5 this year w Zaire, and LSU winning a title in 19 w Franks.

And UF having no QB depth after this year.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looks like Florida needs a waiver because a few of its previous grand transfers didn;t hold up to their end of the bargain. Same rule that would be applied to UGA if Mo Smith doesnt end up graduation with a masters.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

LeeMajors posted:

This ends w Malik getting the starting job, Franks transferring to LSU, UF going 7-5 this year w Zaire, and LSU winning a title in 19 w Franks.

And UF having no QB depth after this year.

Franks either transfers to LSU or violates team rules and becomes Auburn's starter

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

LeeMajors posted:

This ends w Malik getting the starting job, Franks transferring to LSU, UF going 7-5 this year w Zaire, Will Greir winning the Heisman, and LSU winning a title in 19 w Franks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well poo poo.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dang I got in the tail end of WVU talk. WVU is only in the Big 12 because nobody would take us. The ACC and Big 11 turned their noses at WVU's factually bad academics. SEC was some sort of weird fetishization of wanting to be part of SEC! SEC! SEC! after coming so close to football greatness before it all came crashing down. I recall there being some substance to the idea, but it was probably on the level of why yes WVU did beg the SEC for an audience and was turned away. The end result was either suck Texas cock or plummet back to obscurity in the AAC/Big East which is still run by the same assclowns that only cared about basketball in providence. I hate being in the Big 12. It's so stupid, I don't give a flying gently caress about any of the other teams, poo poo is impossibly far away, the conference also just sucks and doesn't exactly bring anything to benefit WVU in terms of prestige. I want to be in the ACC. It's basically just the Big East. I want to relive my childhood. I don't want to watch the continued slide into obscurity playing teams over 1,000 miles away.

Also, for what it's worth, West Virginia is probably the most southern state in the country. In these backwoods, Democrats never flipped from their historical small but equal government ideals :colbert:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Current GOP West Virginians were called Southern Democrats when our parents were growing up. Their ideals never changed, the party that served those ideals did. That state (or a solid part of it) is in for one lovely ride down as coal continues dying out.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
WVU isn't geographically SEC, but they are culturally SEC. Probably a better fit than Mizzou.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

WVU isn't geographically SEC, but they are a culturally SEC. Probably a better fit than Mizzou.

Most likely A&M, as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

WVU isn't geographically SEC, but they are culturally SEC. Probably a better fit than Mizzou.

Having lived up here near Morgantown for a couple of years now, there's an element of SEC, but there are strong elements of mid-Atlantic and even something resembling Midwestern as well. It's at a real confluence of cultures, talk to three lifelong WV natives living in the same county and you might get three totally distinct accents.

A note on the accent thing, a hilarious (and definitely non-Southern) peculiarity I've picked up on with some speakers (not all) is the pronunciation of words like push and bush as "poosh" and "boosh". Also the use of the positive anymore.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 30, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nick Saban is a West Virginian and therefore they belong in the SEC.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nick Saban is a West Virginian and therefore they belong in the SEC.

But so is Jimbo Fisher. Their home towns are like 10 miles apart actually

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

But so is Jimbo Fisher. Their home towns are like 10 miles apart actually

Florida State is absolutely culturally SEC as well

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

OU in the Big Ten makes a lot of sense, but if I'm OU I might be worried the move might go a bit like it did for Nebraska. Obviously they won't be completely cut off from recruiting in Texas like Nebraska was, but their exposure would still suffer to some extent.

Also I'm not sure if the Big Ten has moved on from its "market size isn't everything, it's the only thing" phase

WVU belongs in the ACC

Nebraska was already on the decline before it left the Big 12 and made a couple bad coaching decisions. OU is on the upswing right now. Also OU spent the majority of its existence without a Texas conference-mate, they'll be fine in Texas.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, FSU is SEC as possible without actually being in the SEC.

Combination of being in the more culturally southern part of Florida and playing UF every year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Move Clemson to the SEC and butcher USC's football program for good.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
What's the difference between SEC and ACC culture?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mouse Cadet posted:

Mid atlantic/piedmont vs southern

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Pitt, Mizzou, BC, and Cuse aren't a cultural fit with the rest of their conference. The other teams you could separate any way and still come out with similar results.

Although saying that now, GT doesn't belong in either. They're Big 10-esque. There's nothing Southern or Mid-Atlantic about them, they're just a tech school in the middle of Atlanta, it's a very weird scene. If you could pick up the whole of the school and drop it in Chicago you'd call them a perfect fit for the Big 10. Their only natural rival comes from statehood not really against the backdrop of cultural differences or similarities. I don't know any non-UGA fans who actually hate GT because they're GT, at best they hate GT because of Paul Johnson, they're very benign I think because nobody can really figure out what to hate. They tried desperately to make a big deal out of VT coming to the ACC because they used to be the only Tech and VT fans just couldn't care until CPJ came on board and I suspect the second he's gone we'll go back to just not caring one way or the other about GT. They're a lovably neutral school who rarely makes enough noise to rouse people to think something about them.

Every team that should be ACC or SEC is except WVU (think they're more SEC than ACC) and Maryland (they're still more ACC than Big 10).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 30, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah but georgia tech has been in the ACC for 40 years at this point so at least they have tradition to fall back on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mouse Cadet posted:

Subtract basketball and empty conference championship stadiums and add lots of football championships.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ACC - "The North won the Civil War"
SEC - "Abraham Lincoln shares a lot of characteristics with Hitler, like-"

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Actually it's

SEC- War of Northern Aggression

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

ACC - "The North won the Civil War"
SEC - "Abraham Lincoln shares a lot of characteristics with Hitler, like-"

Also true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Pitt, Mizzou, BC, and Cuse aren't a cultural fit with the rest of their conference. The other teams you could separate any way and still come out with similar results.

Don't make me recap the razing of damned yankee Lawrence and our ongoing love of one of the most despicable criminals of all time just because he stole from (mostly) northerners again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Actually, it is "the South didn't win," which is distinct from the North winning.

Last summer, in heard the phrase "War of Southern Independence" for the first time ever. That was an odd one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The GT-VT rivalry is A Thing because for a long time, whoever won that game had the division wrapped up. That hasn't been the case for a while, but I still consider VT to be our third biggest rivalry after UGA and Clemson.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, unless Miami comes back, all of FSU's ACC brethren will always be second to UF in hatred.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

My wife has a lifetime friend that married an Alabama girl who at the wedding in Tuscaloosa insisted that everyone that wasn't from within 30 miles of Tuscaloosa was Yankee scum.

I did an internship in Orangeburg, SC one summer and people there considered me a Yankee because I'm from Charlotte and don't talk like I just fell off a turnip truck. I also had a teacher in high school who loved saying she'd been "up north" because she'd visited North Carolina.

FizFashizzle posted:

Move Clemson to the SEC and butcher USC's football program for good.

No thanks. Of course, if Auburn and/or Alabama get moved to the East, that'll happen anyway.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 30, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jeez, my FSU/Tallahassee experience was full of hippies and casual young-professional types. I hadn't heard a single accusation of Yankee-ness my entire time.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SEC/ACC realignment talk is lame. If we split D1 NCAAF into a BBQ themed conference based by sauce type, what would your dream bracket be?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

SEC/ACC realignment talk is lame. If we split D1 NCAAF into a BBQ themed conference based by sauce type, what would your dream bracket be?

The old Southwest Conference because vinegar-based and mustard-based sauce is trash

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Let it be known that though I said sauces, dry rubs should count too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RumbleFish posted:

I did an internship in Orangeburg, SC one summer and people there considered me a Yankee because I'm from Charlotte and don't talk like I just fell off a turnip truck.

And they were correct. I'm in Charlotte and the only actual southern things in this area are my nards. Now you go about 30 minutes in any given direction that isn't following I-77 and then you're in the South proper. Asheville and The Triangle have similar rules; the former being about 10 instead of 30.

Also, the BBQ game here is weaker than the football.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

I did an internship in Orangeburg, SC one summer and people there considered me a Yankee because I'm from Charlotte and don't talk like I just fell off a turnip truck. I also had a teacher in high school who loved saying she'd been "up north" because she'd visited North Carolina.

So you're the one other person that knows Orangeburg exists. My grandfather has lived there for as long as I remember (He's 100 now) and I hate going to that town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Warbird posted:

And they were correct. I'm in Charlotte and the only actual southern things in this area are my nards. Now you go about 30 minutes in any given direction that isn't following I-77 and then you're in the South proper. Asheville and The Triangle have similar rules; the former being about 10 instead of 30.

Also, the BBQ game here is weaker than the football.

so drive an hour to lexington and welcome yourself to valhalla

charlotte is generally trash across the board

• Locked thread