Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think Titan will be a bit better than the ifrit raid because we have some real damage dealers now. During ifrit the best we had was Noctis and Olive. Now we have orlandeau, Aileen, and Roberta. Sadly no enhancements for any of the top dogs, but still should be more doable.

Orlandu was released mid-Ifrit raid.

NinjaDebugger posted:

No joke, if SD collection comes over, I will buy a switch just for it, and if we get this collab, money will fly from my pockets and make it rain.

Don't forget to buy a proper controller to play it on as well:
https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-SNES30-Controller-Bonus-Carrying/dp/B06XFR5GZ8/

The 8bitdo controllers got a recent firmware update to work with the Switch. :iia:

Scrublord Prime posted:

Everybody has a full breaker now, and it's Rain! When he got his 6* form he also got Undermine which is a reskinned Full Break. Plus he levels up super fast and having a 6* form gives him extra stats over the old max 5* full breakers.

Also the upcoming FF14 Titan event gives out a Y'shtola who is a fantastic healer with innate dual cast so I wouldn't worry about a lack of healers once you get her.

Minfilia is a top tier support unit and also free in the upcoming event. Yda and Papalymo are... decent but not amazing? I haven't looked in to them much yet. Thancred... exists, as a source of lots and lots of 10% hp/atk materia for you to use as filler on units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Wow, I uh...think I may have overestimated Wilhelm. I tried ELT with my team of Cecil, Xon, Noctis, Fryevia, Refia and a friend Fryevia for chaining. Both Fryevia's were over 700 MAG with Diablos and man-eater materias. I pretty much two-turned Wilhelm with just the Fryevia's alone, with Noctis just using Warp Break and Xon stealing his buffs. Think I may actually try it again later and shoot for the 4 unit challenge bonus.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Wow, I uh...think I may have overestimated Wilhelm. I tried ELT with my team of Cecil, Xon, Noctis, Fryevia, Refia and a friend Fryevia for chaining. Both Fryevia's were over 700 MAG with Diablos and man-eater materias. I pretty much two-turned Wilhelm with just the Fryevia's alone, with Noctis just using Warp Break and Xon stealing his buffs. Think I may actually try it again later and shoot for the 4 unit challenge bonus.

This is good advice, all content is easy when you have a half whale team or more and the content is balanced around that

(Tongue in cheek. Maybe one day they will make Noctis great outside of arena :smith:)

WebDO fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 30, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

WebDO posted:

This is good advice, all content is easy when you have a half whale team or more and the content is balanced around that

(Tongue in cheek. Maybe one day they will make Noctis great outside of arena :smith:)

I really wish they would un-nerf Noctis. Even the one potentially really good damage dealer I finally got(Aileen) doesn't really get that status until she gets her Enhancements. At that point she becomes the #1 physical damage dealer according to the altema web site, although I have a rather hefty lack of friend Aileens to chain with.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Re-rolled today as recommended by goons:

Please kick 614 256 756 and replace with 171 228 162.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hammerstein posted:

Those are some amazingly good rolls. Reberta/Luneth/Refia alone will last you indefinitely.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Honestly, the thing I'm stoked for in this upcoming raid is the HP +10%, MAG +20% TM materia from the raid.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

:catstare:
That's a crazy good starting set.

AegisP posted:

Honestly, the thing I'm stoked for in this upcoming raid is the HP +10%, MAG +20% TM materia from the raid.

I'm hoping for lots of Ydas and her TM. I know it isn't Shine's Quick Assault but I'd love to be that much closer to getting 100% evade on a character. MAG+20%/HP+10% would be nice to give T.Terra some staying power when needed though!

Raid events own. Get lots of TMRs, get rank exp without spending energy, get lots of all kinds of goodies. Way better than King Mog's lovely ride.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Should I buy Wilhelm's special bundle for 2500 lapis when I have 4000 and plenty of need for gigantuars? Is it a good value for the price? Alternatively I could save it all for the next banners/raid..

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Noctis and Orlandeau are the only 5 star units I hope to draw these days. I never seem to land Noctis on banner and he's so great. Excellent offensive abilities, he's got breaks and buffs, a full revive, a party hp/mp regen, provoke, and a jump regen/refresh. Not to mention innate evade which means with gear he can reach 100% evade.

Not great outside the Arena? Are you kidding. He's the best support unit in the game, is incredibly versatile and I got all this way and didn't even mention that his LB is better than Cecil's which is considered in the top tier of LBs.

Hammerstein posted:

Good! Those are solid base 5s. You can chain Reberta with Orlandu pretty easy then finish with Luneth, with the upcomng event you can grab Y'shtola and with Refia you'll have all the healing you'll need. Honestly that's an amazing reroll and you couldn't hope for a better starter team. Pull another Abel off the banner and you'll be sitting pretty.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 30, 2017

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Should I buy Wilhelm's special bundle for 2500 lapis when I have 4000 and plenty of need for gigantuars? Is it a good value for the price? Alternatively I could save it all for the next banners/raid..

I would never spend lapis for gigantaurs, they're plentiful in most events. That bundle is there for the people who wouldn't blink at dropping a few hundred bucks on every banner.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Hammerstein posted:

I've been re-rolling a few times a day based off the OP, did it take you many tries to get the 5*?

I must be missing something, I only get 11 summons per re-roll. I've tried to find guides on it, but besides the NOX setup and macro's I was able to do easy enough, in-game I just don't think I'm doing it right.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Palleon posted:

I would never spend lapis for gigantaurs, they're plentiful in most events. That bundle is there for the people who wouldn't blink at dropping a few hundred bucks on every banner.

Thanks! I love how quick people reply in this thread. That lapis was burning a hole in my pocket.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Thanks! I love how quick people reply in this thread. That lapis was burning a hole in my pocket.

Most people feel the bundles are traps for impatient types, but they're really there for newbies because it will take you a long time to be able to grind out enough King Mog currency to be able to afford the 6* mats. Not to mention your NRG is so low that refreshing gets you like 1-2 runs everytime so it's totally inefficient.

As a long time player, the bundles aren't as good because I can get everything in them with far less lapis refreshes on the king mog events.

So totally buy a bundle if it will get one of your good characters to max level.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Most people feel the bundles are traps for impatient types, but they're really there for newbies because it will take you a long time to be able to grind out enough King Mog currency to be able to afford the 6* mats. Not to mention your NRG is so low that refreshing gets you like 1-2 runs everytime so it's totally inefficient.

As a long time player, the bundles aren't as good because I can get everything in them with far less lapis refreshes on the king mog events.

So totally buy a bundle if it will get one of your good characters to max level.

I am running, currently, all 6* between lvls 80 and 90:
Y'shtola
Exdeath
Xiao
Olive
Chizuru

Edit: sorry they are between 70 (xiao) and 93 (exdeath).

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 31, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PaybackJack posted:

The King Mog events are usually soloable by a single maxed out rainbow event bonus character friend. In the latest one, a run on ELT with a Rem able to solo it would bring in enough items to get 9 6* mats per run if you had any bonus characters of your own to bring.

It is still a trap.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Friendly Lurker posted:

I've been re-rolling a few times a day based off the OP, did it take you many tries to get the 5*?

I must be missing something, I only get 11 summons per re-roll. I've tried to find guides on it, but besides the NOX setup and macro's I was able to do easy enough, in-game I just don't think I'm doing it right.

I started a few days ago when goons told me about the value of a single 5* unit. I had a couple of decent 4* on my old account, but had only played it for a few days.

Re-rolled only a few times a day so far. But this evening I spent 2 hours re-rolling account on my tablet and phone at the same time and then got lucky.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you plan to stay F2P for the most part, the only thing you should spend Lapis on is the daily 1/2 pull and to increase your slots when it's needed. Occasionally there is a worthwhile Lapis bundle but we will usually talk about whether it's good or not in the thread. Don't get a cash bundle or Lapis bundle without checking with us first. Gumi is tricksy with bundle pricing and things that seem good at first glance actually turn out to be a rip off.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I am running, currently, all 6* between lvls 80 and 90:
Y'shtola
Exdeath
Xiao
Olive
Chizuru

Well I wouldn't buy it just for the Cactuars.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Not gonna lie, I've bought the bundles before because Im incredibly lazy and I feel that this has caused me to gain a semi-whale tag on their databases because its been twice now that I've gotten a rainbow unit when their bundle is about to run out and I've exhausted all the easy ways to get 6* mats

Something similar happened with Warframe. I normally dont spend money in the game unless I get a 75% off currency ticket, then I splurge. Took me like a month to get my first 75% off ticket. Like a week after that to get my second. Now they pop in every other day. I dread doing the daily reward and seeing the discount, would rather get trash crafting mats.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Hammerstein posted:

I started a few days ago when goons told me about the value of a single 5* unit. I had a couple of decent 4* on my old account, but had only played it for a few days.

Re-rolled only a few times a day so far. But this evening I spent 2 hours re-rolling account on my tablet and phone at the same time and then got lucky.

Thanks, I'll keep at it! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something totally obvious(I tend to do that often).

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
if you newcomers want an orlandu friend add me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I still don't think new players should buy those bundles unless they are ok with dropping money on Lapis with some regularity. There's no need to rush your units until you hit the fourth island wind boss who doesn't let you bring a friend. We can usually guide a player through that fight anyways if they tell us their roster. Hell, all you really need is 6* Rain to break him with Undermine.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Not great outside the Arena? Are you kidding. He's the best support unit in the game

The problem is if you don't have the units to receive said support he falls incredibly flat. Even with a whale friend, without my own Cid/Fryevia/Aileen/(any other stand alone amazing 5* base) he's really...Not great for things. I still can't clear a bunch of trials. And arena is great for 40 lapis a day but I don't have the time every day to stay competitive so I get the worst tier stat pot and move on, ability to one shot most opponents be damned.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Something similar happened with Warframe. I normally dont spend money in the game unless I get a 75% off currency ticket, then I splurge. Took me like a month to get my first 75% off ticket. Like a week after that to get my second. Now they pop in every other day. I dread doing the daily reward and seeing the discount, would rather get trash crafting mats.

I don't even want to know what I've spent in that game career wise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Do Not Buy Gigantuar Bundles.

This goes double for newbies, whose lapis is going to be far better spent on good banners and unit/box space. Cacutar dunes comes around regularly and you can get 100 gigantaurs from every king mog event. Raids also tend to throw them at you when you pull with your raid coins.

It's not worth it for the Gigantaurs, not by a long shot. 2500 lapis worth of lapis refreshes on cactuar dunes (or even just the xp vortex) would probably give you more XP than those cactuars. Plus the raid event will likely have cactuars in it which will give you more than you need. Especially if you run ELT, or even PRO depending on how hard the fight is.

I'm sitting on 19.5k lapis and 103 tickets. Just ignore your lapis until something good/amazing comes along on a banner.

PaybackJack posted:

New players can use whale buddies to carry them through ELT clears like in the current Type-0 event. Those bundles are not worth buying unless the person is spending money regularly (and even then they still honestly aren't worth it).

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

PaybackJack posted:

Noctis and Orlandeau are the only 5 star units I hope to draw these days. I never seem to land Noctis on banner and he's so great. Excellent offensive abilities, he's got breaks and buffs, a full revive, a party hp/mp regen, provoke, and a jump regen/refresh. Not to mention innate evade which means with gear he can reach 100% evade.

Not great outside the Arena? Are you kidding. He's the best support unit in the game, is incredibly versatile and I got all this way and didn't even mention that his LB is better than Cecil's which is considered in the top tier of LBs.

Noctis is probably the only reason I've been able to complete a lot of content (cheese dodge Lightning aside). Since my only two usable 5*s are Lightning and Noctis, I am WAY behind the damage curve. When he's your only character, his supporting power is still amazing, but your ability to clear ELTs where what you need is damage.... falls flat. Also, regarding his LB, sure, it's better than Cecil's. You will also never use it because it NEVER fills. Unless you regularly use an Entrust unit, Noctis's LB has an incredibly slow fill rate. And doesn't last as long as Cecil's. Cecil can basically keep his up all the time. Noctis is lucky if he gets to use it once, even in a boss fight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

WebDO posted:

The problem is if you don't have the units to receive said support he falls incredibly flat. Even with a whale friend, without my own Cid/Fryevia/Aileen/(any other stand alone amazing 5* base) he's really...Not great for things. I still can't clear a bunch of trials. And arena is great for 40 lapis a day but I don't have the time every day to stay competitive so I get the worst tier stat pot and move on, ability to one shot most opponents be damned.

Dana Crysalis posted:

Noctis is probably the only reason I've been able to complete a lot of content (cheese dodge Lightning aside). Since my only two usable 5*s are Lightning and Noctis, I am WAY behind the damage curve. When he's your only character, his supporting power is still amazing, but your ability to clear ELTs where what you need is damage.... falls flat. Also, regarding his LB, sure, it's better than Cecil's. You will also never use it because it NEVER fills. Unless you regularly use an Entrust unit, Noctis's LB has an incredibly slow fill rate. And doesn't last as long as Cecil's. Cecil can basically keep his up all the time. Noctis is lucky if he gets to use it once, even in a boss fight.

Noctis isn't DPS. If you don't have a chain damage 5* or a good finisher but that's not his role. Noctis had a time in the sun and still has a lot of usefulness but comparing him to dedicated DPS is pointless because that isn't his role. He was able to deal good damage for a long while because we didn't have the 5* chain meta we do now. That doesn't make him bad, it just means that he's not able to fill a role he was previously able to but acting like he's a replacement for Orlandeau or Freyvia is ridiculous. You might as well make the same argument about Marie or Wilhelm; they certainly aren't carrying you through any content but they're hardly useless.

There's no replacement for a good 5* DPS and that's all there is to it, but it doesn't mean non-DPS 5*s are bad.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What is UP with the SD3 colab? 4 BASE 5s!?

Im assuming that some of them are gifted or something because if not they are essentially useless trying to whale for a single 5*. A shame, Reisz sounds like a perfect fit for people that need a buffer/debuffer/nuker on their floater spot.

e-Noctis chat- Noctis isn't a dpser in the western meta because point blank warp is nerfed. A 525% attack %50 defense ignore ability is very powerful as a finisher. Combined with the rest of his toolkit and he's the first of his kind. A very support oriented finisher that can be fit in a lot of party compositions. Yuna, Sage Sakura and probably now Reisz fit into this category.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 31, 2017

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im assuming that some of them are gifted or something because if not they are essentially useless trying to whale for a single 5*. A shame, Reisz sounds like a perfect fit for people that need a buffer/debuffer/nuker on their floater spot.

The jp banners cycle every day which base 5s are on it so if you want a specific person you have to wait for the day they are on to whale for them

There is also one unit thats gifted too apparently

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Noctis chat- Noctis isn't a dpser in the western meta because point blank warp is nerfed. A 525% attack %50 defense ignore ability is very powerful as a finisher. Combined with the rest of his toolkit and he's the first of his kind. A very support oriented finisher that can be fit in a lot of party compositions. Yuna, Sage Sakura and probably now Reisz fit into this category.

The problem with Noctis as a finisher is that you generally want him to go first for the break unless you have a better breaker along.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Getting away from Noctis chat for a moment, one thing to remember when discussing amazing dual wield badass killer units with 900+ attack and all the best weapons: when folks talk about these sorts of units and the parties around them, they're talking about building with an eye toward killing things like the upcoming Titan trial, wherein the boss has a total of nine million health or more. A unit that powerful is basically capable of obliterating most of the content in events and whatnot by itself, without any outside support; it's a goal to shoot for, but it is not required to do the vast majority of content. Getting a base 5* attacker to 6* and giving them a decent starter kit (a good-ish weapon, ATK +30% from Greg and some other +ATK stuff) will get them to a level where they are going to be incredibly useful already. As one example, at 446 attack (since I need to use a normal Partizan due to lightning res), my Reberta is already capable, with a little stat-lowering support from Sice, of doing 80-85% of Shinryu Celestia's health bar in the Judecca ELT event between a Raging Thrust and a Crimson Death jump - that's 400,000 damage in two moves, without any chain support, since I always bring friend Rems to ELT to easily clear the trash. And the jump doesn't even get Reberta's anti-dragon bonus, thanks to mechanics - that's just how much damage she spits out. If my healing etc. was a little better (e.g. if I had Y'shtola and Minfilia already) then taking on the boss would be easy even with a weaker Sice or King in the friend slot, just taking up space for point credit.

I bring this all up because some of the discussion from new folks in the last page or so has seemed to assume that you need to have a fully tricked dual wielder to do anything meaningful, which you don't. Cao Ni Ma is right in that the damage scaling means you do eventually want such units for truly top end stuff like raid trials and for mindless single-button farming of content or getting gigantic credit on raid bosses quickly, which is always helpful, but if the goal is just to Get poo poo Done, you don't need nearly that level of power. So don't think you need to spend a month in the earth ruins or some poo poo grinding out your TMs - if you've got a 5* attacker and some decent supporting characters for it, you're good to get started and should do as much of the event content etc. as you are comfortable doing. The rewards are tremendous and will help a lot.

So don't be afraid to get out there and do some poo poo, especially with the FFXIV raid coming up. You will want to get Minfilia and Y'shtola from that, and frankly those two nerds Yda & Papalymo are pretty good pickups too, given that the price of acquisition is "free".

And remember, check the spreadsheet in the OP for friend codes to help you out - a lot of people still have room for adorable newbies! And heck, early as she may be, I'm perfectly happy to have my Reberta try to help carry people too, and I always like friending fellow new folks. :v: 430,824,757 for the interested. I was thinking of also switching back to my newly-maxed Sice to help with the last few days of Judecca farming, but she's not nearly the carry that Reberta is, so if anyone has ~opinions~ on that...

Anyway:

Hammerstein posted:

Added you so fast my fingers got burned by the friction. Thanks for accepting. :v: Hell of a reroll, welcome to the bouncing Reberta train made of dragons.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, no, they really do want you to whale for multiple 5*s at 3%, even spread over multiple days. The higher-ups at Square in particular are probably looking at games like Fate/GO, seeing the money they pull in, and are like "why aren't you putting multiple rare chase limiteds on a banner" without understanding how Fuggo mitigates the sting of not getting such units, even moreso than FFBE does to be frank.

However if Lise requires whaling when she comes to America then god as my witness I will bankrupt myself to get the character I "waifu'd" as a dumb teenager and from the first good fan translation I ever played.

I do wonder if we might not miss those units entirely, though, because of how drat difficult it's going to be to bring the SD collection to the Anglosphere. If there's no SD collection announcement at E3, I'd start worrying.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

This is honestly a little bit of what I meant earlier. If I had some of the FFXIV characters leveled I'd be going to punch Wilhelm right now, especially since I have a few friendlist Rebertas who could chain with mine for extra damage. As it is, my mitigation for the periods when I'm setting up or if I don't kill him on the first Crimson Death combo (which is likely) isn't quite there, so I'd like more of that before giving him a real try.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

The problem with Noctis as a finisher is that you generally want him to go first for the break unless you have a better breaker along.

His finisher is his break and you have to cast it once prior for it to become a nuke anyways. On physical teams thats good enough. Gonna need someone to shred spr first if you want to bust out magic damage chain instead.

quote:

However if Lise requires whaling when she comes to America then god as my witness I will bankrupt myself to get the character I "waifu'd" as a dumb teenager and from the first good fan translation I ever played.

:same:

After the Rikku/Tidus banner I probably wont go all out except for a few victorias for TM purposes. Riesz sounds like the perfect fit in case Gumi makes a stronger aoe block tank than WoL that just happens to not be able to break.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2017

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Hammerstein posted:

I have been rolling 5*'s all morning now! Maybe I was just missing them until now because they look identical to 3* units, to this noob anyway. I didn't even notice you got 2 5*'s in your screen cap, double grats!

So far I have backups of Dark Knight Cecil, Luneth, and Noctis. I think I'll start playing around with the Noctis account (based off the OP) and keep re-rolling on my PC until I get 2 5*'s like you did. :f5:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I started with no 5*s(didn't find this thread and read about rerolling until after I'd played for a bit and didn't want to reroll at that point), just a couple 4*s and a couple good 3*s. 3 months later and I have 3 5* units, Noctis, Y'shtola, and Aileen, with no whaling at all.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
any goons have a friend unit that can solo dark espers trial? i made an attempt with some of the orlandeu's i'm friends with, but it seems like without beast killer or bird killer (or a second orlandeu) the chain damage doesn't seem to be enough. i'm using xon to twist of fate the first round buffs, but i'm still getting annihilated before taking down even one of them. am i missing something super obvious? i very much would like that ifrit claw and the l sword mastery.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Oh, also, new nerds especially: remember that today is the last day of the Crystal Tower Re-run! Get on that if you haven't, it offers some good-rear end loot (notables include a great heavy chest, a great hammer, the best non-exclusive/non-TM staff in the game ATM and a 10% moogle) and if you grab a goon Orlandeau he can basically solo everything including Xande.

Friendly Lurker posted:

I have been rolling 5*'s all morning now! Maybe I was just missing them until now because they look identical to 3* units, to this noob anyway. I didn't even notice you got 2 5*'s in your screen cap, double grats!

So far I have backups of Dark Knight Cecil, Luneth, and Noctis. I think I'll start playing around with the Noctis account (based off the OP) and keep re-rolling on my PC until I get 2 5*'s like you did. :f5:

It is a bit of an interface problem that the 3* and 5* borders look similar, particularly if you're a bit colorblind. The thing to look for is the glow behind the filigree in the background.

Noctis is a really good start despite the Noctischat today :v: Getting 2 5*s early on requires a hell of a lot of RNG, so if you can't make it happen, don't sweat it, Noctis would be enough power by himself for a long time, especially if you also pick up the FFXIV crew.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I started with no 5*s(didn't find this thread and read about rerolling until after I'd played for a bit and didn't want to reroll at that point), just a couple 4*s and a couple good 3*s. 3 months later and I have 3 5* units, Noctis, Y'shtola, and Aileen, with no whaling at all.

I started my account back in when Global launched and left it fallow for a year, and am only now really coming back and just lucked into Reberta.

You'll get the power if you're patient, either way.

edit:

new kind of cat posted:

any goons have a friend unit that can solo dark espers trial? i made an attempt with some of the orlandeu's i'm friends with, but it seems like without beast killer or bird killer (or a second orlandeu) the chain damage doesn't seem to be enough. i'm using xon to twist of fate the first round buffs, but i'm still getting annihilated before taking down even one of them. am i missing something super obvious? i very much would like that ifrit claw and the l sword mastery.

I know Dana was pondering updating her Lightning to be able to solo the Dark Espers, but it's a good deal trickier than soloing Gilgamesh.

Do remember, new dudes, that Dana is graciously providing a Lightning that can solo Gilgamesh, and that is a huge spike in power if you do it. Get on that while you can!

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 31, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

new kind of cat posted:

Nobody can solo Dark Espers ELT. Best you can do is 2 turn it with a pair of Orlandeaus. They do a mix of Magic and Physical damage and you can't dodge both at 100%.

You're probably going too fast and activating multiple thresholds in a single turn. That was my mistake the first couple times I tried it. They have just enough stats that you can damage them easily enough that you can overshoot on a given turn and set them off.

@SpaceDrake I'll totally throw up Reberta for you to chain off of. Send me an add, 763 793 980

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, also, new nerds especially: remember that today is the last day of the Crystal Tower Re-run! Get on that if you haven't, it offers some good-rear end loot (notables include a great heavy chest, a great hammer, the best non-exclusive/non-TM staff in the game ATM and a 10% moogle) and if you grab a goon Orlandeau he can basically solo everything including Xande.

Just a quick addendum: Make sure you bring somebody who is immune to petrify and some softs or stona. You can get ambushed in Crystal Tower (because it wouldn't be FF3 if it wasn't dumb) and you can get petrified before you even get to take a turn. Happened to somebody in this thread twice in a row. gently caress FF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Cry Havoc posted:

if you newcomers want an orlandu friend add me

Thanks so much!

• Locked thread