Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Stux posted:

physical pre orders are dumber than digital ones. at least w a digital preorder it means you can download the game before it comes out and play instantly on release. physical preorders youre just paying ahead because ???

Did you even read what you quoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Apple keeps making iphones for some dumb reason and some of the whosits and whatsits that go into the iphone also go into the switch, so there are supply issues.

Lol is this actually what's happening? that's hilarious

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't worry guys ARMS is Covfefe af

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Gimbal lock posted:

Did you even read what you quoted?

you mean this?

Gimbal lock posted:

Just because digital preorders has been a thing for years doesn't make it any less dumb, especially if you consider why preorders exist in the first place.

preorders exist in the first place to trick people into putting cash down sight unseen on games. digital preorders do the same but at least have the benefit of instant midnight release access from the comfort of your own home. i dont really understand what your point is sorry.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I need some BoI help. I finally beat It Lives with Eden through the grace of god (if you are lucky enough to get Guppy's Head, Car Battery, and Fish Tail in one run, good job you win!)

So I am currently standing in the room after beating the boss. There's a devil room to the south, a beam of light, and a trap door. I know the devil's room will lead to sheol, and the beam of light will take me to the cathedral, but what the hell is the trap door going to do?

Some scary stuff that'll start happening once you beat It Lives! enough times and unlock some new floors:

Devil doors are still Devil deal rooms, crucifix doors are still Angel deal rooms.

Trap door is Sheol, beam of light is Cathedral.

If Mom is dropping a white picture and a black picture, the white one is The Polaroid and it unlocks a bonus floor/boss after Cathedral. The black picture is The Negative and does the same for Sheol. The only way to do a Victory Lap is to take The Negative and beat the boss at the end of the bonus room after Sheol. In the case of Curse of The Blind, The Polaroid and The Negative are always on the left and the right, respectively.

A pulsating hole in the floor after beating any boss following Mom takes you to The Void, a gigantic floor with multiple boss rooms; one of which is Delirium (the floor's real end boss.) Should only be tried with a really powerful build, as this whole fight is a total mess and I won't spoil it for you (partially because I've fought him dozens of times and still have no real idea what's going on.) There's a small chance this hole can show up after any boss following Mom, with the % chance increasing as you go deeper. Delirium is a dead end and you can't continue past that floor in a run. Each room is randomly generated and can be sourced from any floor, including Cathedral or Sheol.

A large cracked hole in the wall where a Devil/Angel deal room would normally be is a portal to Blue Womb, which is solely a boss floor, Hush. Only shows up if you beat It Lives! within 30 minutes. This is a large bullet hell boss who you should probably only try with a powerful build, but not really as bad as Delirium. You're typically given the option to continue to Cathedral or Sheol afterwards, or if you take the exit to the north, The Void (only guaranteed method AFAIK.) Hush is safe to fight if you're interested in proceeding towards a Victory Lap.

That same cracked hole in the wall will show up after Mom if you beat her in under 20 minutes, which is the Boss Rush room. Random bosses will spawn 2 at a time, totaling probably 20-24 bosses. You're given a choice of one of four random items in the beginning, taking one nikes the others and starts the boss rush. Completing it gives one one more random item, and you can leave the room and proceed as normal after that.

Finally, the giant golden key door you see in the floors following Sheol and Cathedral is the door to the Mega Satan fight. You can only open this door in two ways; the first is by assembling a key during a run by collecting the two halves dropped by bombing and fighting angels in Angel deal rooms. (Alternatively, you can spawn an Angel and get a key half in any sacrifice room by walking over the spikes something like 6-8 times, but this does a whole heart of damage each time so do so at your own risk.) Assembling this key for the first time in a run unlocks the item Dad's Key, a usable recharge item which unlocks any door/secret room in a room, including the Mega Satan door. Mega Satan is a run-ending fight as you cannot leave the room afterwards unless you have something like Telepills or The Fool tarot card, or a % chance a portal will open in the floor to The Void.

These are all "lol I broke the game" end bosses, so if you're just melting rooms the second you walk into them, you're probably safe to try any of them of your choosing. Difficulty IMO goes ??? < The Lamb < Boss Rush < Mega Satan < Hush <<< Delirium.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You preorder physical copies when you're more interested in getting a giant statue of Mario's rear end then the game attached to it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I forgot how much The Keeper, in BoI, sucks donkey dick

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

I forgot how much The Keeper, in BoI, sucks donkey dick

I'm saving his poo poo for absolute last. I've actually been doing a few The Lost runs daily, since I can reliably get to The Lamb with him these days. Somehow, all I've got left for his completion marks are Mega Satan and boss rush. Sucks that they're both pretty reliant on a super broken build including Dead Cat (well, Mega Satan I feel pretty good about, but it's just too easy to accidentally get hit in boss rush.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They could also include the full text for SoM, since the SNES version couldn't fit on the cartridge IIRC. Not sure if the mobile versions of SoM have the SNES translation or a more complete one.

Pretty sure mobile SoM has a new translation, not sure how good it is though.

Kinda moot because if they did translate the SD Collection they'd probably just port over the old SoM ROM anyway because :effort:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I just had a run with Death Scythe as the starting treasure room weapon so I was cheering, then I got a Health Down pill on the 2nd boss, then I got chumped in a tight corridor room where I had nowhere to move.

Had to turn off the Switch to have a nice long swear session

The Lost and The Keeper are just bleeeeeehhhhhhhhhh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Kinda moot because if they did translate the SD Collection they'd probably just port over the old SoM ROM anyway because :effort:

Oh yeah SD Collection releases tomorrow.

I hope it sells well, because goddammmmmmmn I would kill for a localised version with an official translation for SD3

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How can it look better when you not only have the plastic but now also light reflecting glass? That's not possible

Uh ever heard of MAKEUP

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, so I guess I'm burning images into my TV playing so much Binding of Isaac. I haven't done this since I owned a CRT; this goes away on LCD displays, right? Do I just put a white picture on the screen for a while or something?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sharrrk posted:

Lol is this actually what's happening? that's hilarious

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/30/apple-supply-chain-nintendo-switch/

Nintendo, in typical Nintendo fashion, lowballed a lot of parts manufacturers on their orders, which caused the manufacturers to put them at the end of the chain behind higher volume and higher paying customers like Apple and Samsung.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bill Barber posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/30/apple-supply-chain-nintendo-switch/

Nintendo, in typical Nintendo fashion, lowballed a lot of parts manufacturers on their orders, which caused the manufacturers to put them at the end of the chain behind higher volume and higher paying customers like Apple and Samsung.

So you would rather pay IPhone prices for a Switch instead of $299? I don't fault Nintendo at all for what they did, especially coming off the WiiU when they had no idea if the Switch would take off.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Zelda is so good. I found a cave with gems on the ceiling. Moments before I had killed an octorock outside so I attached balloons to bombs and strip mined the cave :jiggled:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My guess is that Nintendo were expecting to soft-launch the Switch and get 'okay' sales from BotW while ramping up production towards the latter half of the year when people would presumably really start buying them after e3, with Splatoon 2 and (maybe) ARMS. Not for everything to just get dialled to 11 immediately as people cleared stores out on Day One.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

enojy posted:

Some scary stuff that'll start happening once you beat It Lives! enough times and unlock some new floors:

Devil doors are still Devil deal rooms, crucifix doors are still Angel deal rooms.

Trap door is Sheol, beam of light is Cathedral.

If Mom is dropping a white picture and a black picture, the white one is The Polaroid and it unlocks a bonus floor/boss after Cathedral. The black picture is The Negative and does the same for Sheol. The only way to do a Victory Lap is to take The Negative and beat the boss at the end of the bonus room after Sheol. In the case of Curse of The Blind, The Polaroid and The Negative are always on the left and the right, respectively.

A pulsating hole in the floor after beating any boss following Mom takes you to The Void, a gigantic floor with multiple boss rooms; one of which is Delirium (the floor's real end boss.) Should only be tried with a really powerful build, as this whole fight is a total mess and I won't spoil it for you (partially because I've fought him dozens of times and still have no real idea what's going on.) There's a small chance this hole can show up after any boss following Mom, with the % chance increasing as you go deeper. Delirium is a dead end and you can't continue past that floor in a run. Each room is randomly generated and can be sourced from any floor, including Cathedral or Sheol.

A large cracked hole in the wall where a Devil/Angel deal room would normally be is a portal to Blue Womb, which is solely a boss floor, Hush. Only shows up if you beat It Lives! within 30 minutes. This is a large bullet hell boss who you should probably only try with a powerful build, but not really as bad as Delirium. You're typically given the option to continue to Cathedral or Sheol afterwards, or if you take the exit to the north, The Void (only guaranteed method AFAIK.) Hush is safe to fight if you're interested in proceeding towards a Victory Lap.

That same cracked hole in the wall will show up after Mom if you beat her in under 20 minutes, which is the Boss Rush room. Random bosses will spawn 2 at a time, totaling probably 20-24 bosses. You're given a choice of one of four random items in the beginning, taking one nikes the others and starts the boss rush. Completing it gives one one more random item, and you can leave the room and proceed as normal after that.

Finally, the giant golden key door you see in the floors following Sheol and Cathedral is the door to the Mega Satan fight. You can only open this door in two ways; the first is by assembling a key during a run by collecting the two halves dropped by bombing and fighting angels in Angel deal rooms. (Alternatively, you can spawn an Angel and get a key half in any sacrifice room by walking over the spikes something like 6-8 times, but this does a whole heart of damage each time so do so at your own risk.) Assembling this key for the first time in a run unlocks the item Dad's Key, a usable recharge item which unlocks any door/secret room in a room, including the Mega Satan door. Mega Satan is a run-ending fight as you cannot leave the room afterwards unless you have something like Telepills or The Fool tarot card, or a % chance a portal will open in the floor to The Void.

These are all "lol I broke the game" end bosses, so if you're just melting rooms the second you walk into them, you're probably safe to try any of them of your choosing. Difficulty IMO goes ??? < The Lamb < Boss Rush < Mega Satan < Hush <<< Delirium.

drat. I know nothing about this game..

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah I've played fifteen or twenty hours of BoI and suddenly I'm not sure I've played a minute of BoI

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

BambooEarpick posted:

They still making Switches? I've been calling my local stores, and by local stores I mean pretty much every Walmart, ToysRus, GameStop, etc. in the state, and no one ever has any Switches.

Like, there are no Switches within 2500 miles of where I am. What the gently caress.

Edit:VVVVV

A$$le loving the consumer again!

I used that istocknow website and went to stores where it said they had stock but when I asked the guys there, they said they had none and they get shipments every day but dont know when they will sell out.

Eventually I just checked the gamestop website and caught it when they had those bundles available and preordered one then. You might do that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can literally walk into Walmart local and see about two switches for sale. Maybe you all should try there

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It's the same translation.

And the obvious answer as to the reason why the mobile versions aren't ported is it was cheaper to hire M2 to do ports of the original games instead of porting a bunch of android or Vita stuff.

Kinda like how Capcom did the MM Legacy collection because they could just hire a small dev on the cheap to cover the NES games only instead of having to worry about SNES and 360/PS3 stuff to get all of it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can literally walk into Walmart local and see about two switches for sale. Maybe you all should try there

Good thing I already have a Switch since literally everywhere in this area is depleted of them

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

enojy posted:

Oh, so I guess I'm burning images into my TV playing so much Binding of Isaac. I haven't done this since I owned a CRT; this goes away on LCD displays, right? Do I just put a white picture on the screen for a while or something?

I've heard that if you just have colors in that area constantly changing and cycling that it would fix itself, but I haven't seen that work on my monitor.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's probably a YouTube video you can play on your tv to help with this. I had a ghosting problem on one of my older units that was fixed that way.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dugong posted:

Zelda is so good. I found a cave with gems on the ceiling. Moments before I had killed an octorock outside so I attached balloons to bombs and strip mined the cave :jiggled:

:same:

I just paraglided out to this island way out in the ocean, had to eat two stamina foods just to get there. When I landed it turned out the entire island was a survival puzzle/mini-boss fight that I had to solve before it would give me my stuff back.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

You should buy them and put them on eBay cause people are paying 100 or more over MSRP right now still

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Imagined posted:

:same:

I just paraglided out to this island way out in the ocean, had to eat two stamina foods just to get there. When I landed it turned out the entire island was a survival puzzle/mini-boss fight that I had to solve before it would give me my stuff back.

I had heard everyone bitch about Eventide without actually knowing the specifics of where it was or what it did. I just randomly found myself there.

I got there by using Cryosis all the way across the bay. I thought the challenge itself was really loving cool. It only took me like two tries. I'd like to see more poo poo like that. Strand Link somewhere and force me to build a fire to cook, and find shelter from a storm and stuff.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Beastie posted:

I had heard everyone bitch about Eventide without actually knowing the specifics of where it was or what it did. I just randomly found myself there.

I got there by using Cryosis all the way across the bay. I thought the challenge itself was really loving cool. It only took me like two tries. I'd like to see more poo poo like that. Strand Link somewhere and force me to build a fire to cook, and find shelter from a storm and stuff.

Holy poo poo using Cryosis must have taken for loving ever.

I have stayed away from all guides and meta-discussion of the game because I don't have a lot of time to play so I'm moving slower through the game than a lot of people and I want to be surprised by stuff like Eventide. I can't believe anyone bitched about it. Well, I guess I can considering the posters in this thread. But I thought it was great, and only took me two tries as well, and I'm terrible at videogames.

Phantasium posted:

I just don't like the fact that it's the one point in the game where it doesn't autosave. I can understand it, because if you go there too early it could be too difficult to mess with, but to me it meant that after a tiny mistake that killed me I couldn't retry from the mistake, I had to do the whole thing over again (and I took my time the first time).

Oh, I guess it helps that I had Mipha's Grace and 10 hearts at this point. And I spent a long time on the island just building up cooked foods.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah it was a solid 4-5 minutes of hopping from ice pillar to ice pillar. Definitely got hosed by a lizafol a time or two.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just don't like the fact that it's the one point in the game where it doesn't autosave. I can understand it, because if you go there too early it could be too difficult to mess with, but to me it meant that after a tiny mistake that killed me I couldn't retry from the mistake, I had to do the whole thing over again (and I took my time the first time).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
At least the enemy rush thing that's coming in DLC you start with nothing and build up from there. That'll be neat.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I had all 4 champion abilities and the whole island was stupid easy for me and I feel like I missed out as a result.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

There would be virtually zero challenge if it auto-saved throughout the island. That's the whole point of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RCarr posted:

There would be virtually zero challenge if it auto-saved throughout the island. That's the whole point of it.

See I get that, but I had to redo like a hour and a half of playtime because something knocked me off a cliff and that sucks. Not enough to hate the area or anything it was still a cool setpiece but it's kind of lost when you're just rushing it a second time just to get it done.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Phantasium posted:

See I get that, but I had to redo like a hour and a half of playtime because something knocked me off a cliff and that sucks. Not enough to hate the area or anything it was still a cool setpiece but it's kind of lost when you're just rushing it a second time just to get it done.

That's the literal entire point of it. you don't have to do it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's the literal entire point of it. you don't have to do it

By that logic I don't have to do a lot of the game, but whatever. It was fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Gimbal lock posted:

Just because digital preorders has been a thing for years doesn't make it any less dumb, especially if you consider why preorders exist in the first place.

Preorders exist for the sake of the game companies. They just used to provide benefit to the consumer as well.
There's a reason digital preorders exist, but it's not one that benefits the customer.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The last time I preordered a game for fear of not being able to obtain it was in 2004 for Half-Life 2. I think that and GTA4 where the last two games where there simply were not enough copies to go around.

Oh my god 2004 was 13 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I bought Disgaea 5 today even though I'm not finished Fire Emblem yet.

• Locked thread