Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Kelp Me! posted:

:scoff: you want me to intentionally play a bad deck, just so my crybaby girlfriend will actually enjoy herself and not feel intimidated and belittled every time I make her play against me?

Next you'll tell me I should give constructive advice instead of getting immediately frustrated and irate when she makes a rookie mistake!

It's a turn based strategy guys, even if the decks are imbalanced there's a bunch of optimal ways to play you internalize that will just naturally give you an advantage.

Think of literally any other game where it's player vs player, if someone has much better fundamentals than their opponent it doesn't matter if they pick weaker characters or use weird strategies they haven't tried out before they'll just win with better technique and decision making. This is made worse because it's turn based, there's not a good way to "play more casually" when your options are "make the right play" vs "don't make the right play".

They can just play gimmick versions of the game like crap stack or 2hg or w/e, but if it's just 1 v 1 with normal rules it's probably not gonna be a fair fight even if he gave himself every handicap reasonably possible. I dunno what's so hard to understand about this.

Also didn't we drop this for like 2 pages why are you so insistent about dragging it back out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nobody cares about how you're too pro at magic:the gathering to let a casual win or how the correct card choosing instincts are just too strong in your blood for you to ever lead a normal life or whatever.

tyvm for this true r/relationships guy story, it deserves a history channel-style reenactment

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 31, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ArbitraryC posted:

Also didn't we drop this for like 2 pages why are you so insistent about dragging it back out?

Pot meet kettle, just stop loving responding and magic the gathering will die as it should.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a turn based strategy guys, even if the decks are imbalanced there's a bunch of optimal ways to play you internalize that will just naturally give you an advantage.

Think of literally any other game where it's player vs player, if someone has much better fundamentals than their opponent it doesn't matter if they pick weaker characters or use weird strategies they haven't tried out before they'll just win with better technique and decision making. This is made worse because it's turn based, there's not a good way to "play more casually" when your options are "make the right play" vs "don't make the right play".

They can just play gimmick versions of the game like crap stack or 2hg or w/e, but if it's just 1 v 1 with normal rules it's probably not gonna be a fair fight even if he gave himself every handicap reasonably possible. I dunno what's so hard to understand about this.

OK at this point you're just c/ping posts from the OP of the actual Reddit thread, admit it

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

MF_James posted:

Pot meet kettle, just stop loving responding and magic the gathering will die as it should.

But if I do that I won't win in the most efficient manner, which is not my favorite way of posting so I'll never give it a chance

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

maskenfreiheit posted:

you text them and they never respond, hth

I just cut out the middle (wo)man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

If one player is still way better with the funsie intro decks you can buy, why doesn't the better player take out all their best cards, like the dragons or whatever, to keep it competitive?

The intro decks already don't have actually good cards in them.by design

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

[Relationships] How do I (25F) tell my boyfriend (27M) that my parents are first cousins?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for almost six months, and I want to tell him now, before things start to get more serious than they already are. I think he has a right to know.

I am of Indian heritage. This is not a generational practice in my family - my great grandmothers all came from four different countries. As cousin marriage is not unheard of in Pakistan and India, this wouldn't be an awkward conversation to have if he was of South Asian heritage. But, as he is Scottish and German, I think that he will find it much harder to understand.

At the risk of ruining a great relationship, how do I have this conversation with him?

tl;dr: I somehow need to tell my non-Indian boyfriend of six months that my parents are first cousins

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Hey lets talk about video games instead of MtG!

My wife [25 F] wants to divorce me [25 M] because she thinks I like playing video games more than hanging out with her

quote:

My wife and I have been together for a little over 2 years. At the beginning of our relationship I can admit that I did play a lot of video games. Once we started getting serious I started playing less and less. We both work full time but she makes way more than I do. When we go out to eat or something we usually split the check but sometimes when I am low on cash and she wants a burger she will pay for it if I pick up. I would say that she wears the financial pants in the relationship. Every so often if we are both doing nothing I will tell her that I am going to play 1 game of LoL or CSGO which usually takes about an hour. Sometimes she is ok with it but most of the time she will get pissed because she thinks I prefer to play video games than spend time with her which turns into a fight. Right now we are trying to get a house and being in the area that we have to hit the top of our budget to get a house.

I usually have no money by the time I get paid and that is after I pay all of my bills and she usually can saves about 1k every month. This being the cause she is putting most of her savings and 5k from her dad into the down payment. I had bad credit which she helped pay off by letting me us my half of the rent to pay off to get it up to where we need to be which I am grateful for. I have also agreed that since she has done this for me I will give her a little more each month to pay towards half of the down payment.

Last night after 4 hours spending time with her giving her a foot massage, playing with her hair ( usually do it 30 mins daily) and make a BOMB steak dinner I tell her that I am going to play 1 game of CSGO. After my game I shut off my computer and go back into the living room. She looks pissed and says "go away, go back to your video games". I do not play this passive aggressive game with her so I go back to my computer and watch some youtube.

She doesn't like that so near bed time she starts telling me that I care about my computer more than her and that I have to sell it or we are not getting a house and she is going to divorce me. I have no clue what to do. She has said before "when you make as much as I do you can start doing what you want" I'm ok with doing more house work than her since she makes more but I don't think she can dictate what I can and can't do.

tl;dr: Wife wants me to sell my computer because she does not like me playing video games. If I don't she will drop the house and divorce me

quote:

At this time she does not have any hobbies. She has some podcasts she listens to or some tv shows. She said she would be more ok if it was a normal hobby like basketball or something. She thinks that I am a loser and a child since I like video games

quote:

The thing is that there is only one show I hate that she watches which is Teen loving mom. I hate the show but I dont hate her for liking it.

quote:

Most of the time I have to watch it with her or she will be upset.

quote:

She has tested me many times before this by saying "if you really love me you will stop playing for X amount of weeks or months" which I have happily done.

There are dudes who pay good money for this kind of treatment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The intro decks already don't have actually good cards in them.by design

See this, there is no excuse for this post, I don't care how much you're exposed to this nerd poo poo in your nine to five, you made a choice to keep this loving magic derail going.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I know this isn't the point of the story, but I can't imagine splitting the cheque when you are married to someone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh woe is me, I can't find anywhere else on the internet to have pedantic conversations about a collectible card game! Better load up r/relationships and make this poo poo happen!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

I know this isn't the point of the story, but I can't imagine splitting the cheque when you are married to someone.

I know 2 married couples that do this with everything.

By some weird coincidence, both members of both couples openly despise their partner but stay together anyhow because ~true love~

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

La Brea Carpet posted:

My wife [25 F] wants to divorce me [25 M] because she thinks I like playing video games more than hanging out with her

There are dudes who pay good money for this kind of treatment.
I think if I got any of the crazy ultimatums this dude has gotten I would respond with divorce papers, jesus gently caress.

purple death ray posted:

Oh woe is me, I can't find anywhere else on the internet to have pedantic conversations about a collectible card game! Better load up r/relationships and make this poo poo happen!
Dude, if you want it to stop have to put in a token effort. Personally, I think that conversation is all tapped out, but your efforts run counter to that. It's just a phase of the thread, whining about it is just going to draw it out more. count the magic puns you nerds

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Ya'll nerds should have tapped more kegs and less manna in college.

My [30 F] Dad [53 M] and his wife [40 F] have decided to open their relationship (fine). She is dating my ex-girlfriend [30 F].

quote:

First off, I'm a gay lady, and this ex is from 2 years ago. We dated for about a year. I don't know if there is any actual advice for this issue. I'm mad at both my "step-mom" and my ex. It's their life, and their business, but I just feel like there are plenty of women out there if she just had to try women. Did it have to be someone that we spent Christmas with as a family as my girlfriend in the past.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm just saying you could take the strongest cards out, like the dragons (if it's anything like Yu Gi Oh), and then it'll be fairer. Or give the dragons to the other player.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

[b]My wife [25 F] wants to divorce me [25 M] because she thinks I like playing video games more than hanging out with her.

This ends with instead of him divorcing her, saying hes going to take up basketball and then be out of the house more and more for longer and longer until either he stops coming home or he gets photographed buying 4 nintendo switches to throw a mk8 tournament in his hotel room.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i once got shoved so hard i fell over by an angry pokemon league dad because his son claimed i "cheated" (was actually just butthurt i built a kickass deck that exploited some pretty basic and well documented edge cases)

people were more angry that i was "cheating" (playing too 'mean' against kids) than about a grown rear end man assaulting a 13 year old

tldlr: card games are serious business

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Some of this is awful, but at the same time, is it weird that if I'm home with my gf, I'd rather not like, be in a different room doing something by myself? It just feels strange. I'm all for us doing our own things out of the house, have no like, bare minimum amount of time we must spend together, but if we're home together, it seems like we should be doing stuff together. I wouldbt be upset per se if she went into another room to watch a movie without me, but it would just feel... off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just give one person all the dragons! It's so simple!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

purple death ray posted:

i thought i was out and then someone kept talking about it and it pulled me back in

Yawgmoth posted:

I think if I got any of the crazy ultimatums this dude has gotten I would respond with divorce papers, jesus gently caress.
Dude, if you want it to stop have to put in a token effort. Personally, I think that conversation is all tapped out, but your efforts run counter to that. It's just a phase of the thread, whining about it is just going to draw it out more. count the magic puns you nerds

the clapping emoji

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, the wife is totally right he likes games more than her because she is terrible.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Some of this is awful, but at the same time, is it weird that if I'm home with my gf, I'd rather not like, be in a different room doing something by myself? It just feels strange. I'm all for us doing our own things out of the house, have no like, bare minimum amount of time we must spend together, but if we're home together, it seems like we should be doing stuff together. I wouldbt be upset per se if she went into another room to watch a movie without me, but it would just feel... off.
There's only so much time you can spend with and so many things you can do with one person. On top of that, people need differing amounts of time to themselves.

The guy is a doormat and his wife is childish if it is as he describes. Is he dating a 15 year old with that "you like x more than me, quit it for a month if you love me" poo poo? That's the only time I experienced that, and I was 16 and still didn't stand for it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Slugworth posted:

Have you lived with a girlfriend before? I have lived with my fiancée (she was my GF up until a year ago) for 7 years now, we are home together a lot, and we often do our own things. If every moment I was home, she felt we had to be doing something together, I would probably go insane or we would have broken up a long time ago.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slugworth posted:

I think most people need some amount of alone time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Couples need different amounts of time together and activity focus and all sorts of stuff. That said, if someone tells you "dont do something for x amount of time to prove you love me" you should go ahead and saunter out of there because its over. Either you truly are an addict and theyll resent you forever or, vastly more likely, they are controlling and your happiness bothers them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

I'm just saying you could take the strongest cards out, like the dragons (if it's anything like Yu Gi Oh), and then it'll be fairer. Or give the dragons to the other player.

you're really missing out if you're too weirdly hypercompetitive to ever let some teenager slowly grind you into dust at chess and then fool's mate them in the rematch, it's not too often you get to convince someone you're some kind of supervillain

Slugworth posted:

consider who the person you'd be spending that time with is in this story though

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

It's nothing like yugioh outside of there being cards and turns involved. A deck with a bunch of dragons in it is going to be absolute poo poo (although maybe he could try building dragon tribal and play it against his girlfriend).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Slugworth posted:

It's all awful. Video games are just another way to look at a flashing screen for entertainment. If you are super outdoorsy or into really active hobbies like building/making poo poo, yeah it can be an incompatibility, but if you are watching tv in one room, and your partner is playing a video game, you have 0 ground to stand on calling one or the other out unless they are dedicating unhealthy amounts of time to it.

Any time I have lived with a woman, we gave each other space at times. You just work it out. Some nights you spend all the time together, other times you do your own thing. People hardly ever have identical tastes in say, movies, so if a partner wants to watch something I'm not into, I let her have the tv and i go play a game or watch a different movie or go for a walk, or whatever.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

It's nothing like yugioh outside of there being cards and turns involved. A deck with a bunch of dragons in it is going to be absolute poo poo (although maybe he could try building dragon tribal and play it against his girlfriend).

:pseudo: Hey now, Dragonstorm, Worldgorger Dragon Combo, and Dragon Stompy were all quite viable in their respective formats! :pseudo:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Senpai noticed me

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

La Brea Carpet posted:

Ya'll nerds should have tapped more kegs and less manna in college.

I found the cheat code and did both of those things with great gusto and made sure neither social circle met.

Well, I had stopped playing cards by then and was schmoozing and boozing with a cool group of hoopy RPG froods.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

La Brea Carpet posted:

divorce this needy harpy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is it even love if you don't subjugate the entire barony just to build them an enormous, empty castle?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I Was The Fury posted:

[Relationships] How do I (25F) tell my boyfriend (27M) that my parents are first cousins?

quote:

As cousin marriage is not unheard of in Pakistan and India, this wouldn't be an awkward conversation to have if he was of South Asian heritage. But, as he is Scottish and German, I think that he will find it much harder to understand.

If a Scottish guy gives you poo poo about inbreeding, he needs a cold dose of reality.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fired a shot at my Neighbor's house, now i'm being charged [Nevada]

OP posted:

There are a lot of details to this story so I will start from the beginning. I live in a suburban neighborhood of Nevada, made up of rows of newly built property. I have a neighbor who is a man about my age (40) and lives with his wife and a young girl. He has been harassing me since I moved here from Eastern Europe in 2012. This includes playing loud music through speakers in the early hours of the morning, (he knows that I work night shifts) abusing me when I am taking out the trash and even damaging my property.

This is came to a climax in January when I was trying to sleep after a long night of work (I am a security guard) and I was woken up by the sound of loud metal music coming from this man's house. I was enraged by this and jumped out of my bed, threw on a shirt and shorts, and stormed outside only to find that this man had opened his front door to let the sound out for the express purpose of ruining my sleep. I angrily stormed into his house and got in his face, shouting at him about what he had done and told him that I have had enough.

This was made even worse by the fact that his wife and young girl were with him in his living room, and I felt sorry for them having to deal with such a terrible father/husband. The girl was crying and it made me even more angry. I shouted to the man " you don't deserve to be a father", to which he replied "I'll do whatever the f*ck I want with my kid" and without warning he punched my head, breaking my nose.

I lost my composure and pushed the man over, he landed very hard and hit his head on the corner of the coffee table. I would like to add that I did not intend to push him that hard, but this man is about 5'"5 tall and I am over 6" making it hard to avoid hurting him. I left the house and went back to my home without looking back and tried to forget about what happened.

In this time to try and forget about what happened, I drank very heavily and took some ecstasy. Things got out of hand when during the high I remembered the incident and flew into a rage. Without thinking I grabbed my Ruger 10 .22 rifle and fired a shot at my neighbour's house. Thats it. I walked back inside and didn't hear anything about it for months.

Fast forward to last week when I had police officers show up to my house and arrest me. They took me to the police station and questioned me for hours. The next day I was charged with unlawful discharge of a weapon among other charges relating to property damage.

Though I acknowledge that what I did was not responsible and an overreaction, this man is now acting as though he did nothing wrong and I am certain that he has not admitted to punching me in the face. How can I counter this prosecution by bringing up his initial attack on me? Is it possible to have my charges dropped or lessened by bringing up the fact that he punched me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:eyepop: "That's it"

quote:

Holy poo poo, you need a criminal defence attorney immediately, and you need to stop posting your story on the internet. Without prompting or any pressure whatsoever, you just admitted to multiple offences, including a couple of felonies. Off the top of my head:

-Assault
-Brandishing
-Attempted murder/depraved indifference or something else along that spectrum
-Possession of controlled substances

If all you catch for this is an unlawful discharge conviction, you'll be coming out ahead.

Shut up, lawyer up, and let your lawyer field this. Pray your lawyer can negotiate a plea bargain, but expect to be doing anger management courses and to have to complete substance abuse counselling as a condition of that deal, or of your eventual parole.
Worrying about whether he punched you first is, at this point, not urgent.

quote:

Well at least you'll never be able to own guns again

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Sorry, the link to Coral Castle wiki only hints at Edward's gooniness. This one about him, specifically, opens the story up a bit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Leedskalnin

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 31, 2017