Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Coolguye posted:

So a number of folks have asked for a full run of my singing Jason gimmick, I went ahead and did it yesterday and got lucky enough to have some Twitch streamstar on there as well reacting to it. It wasn't as good as people mistaking it for gospel music but it was still pretty amusing.

My view is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04AXaHkNhA here. Apologies for my many years old mic giving a static crackle in the background, there's not much I can do about that.

The streamer I happened to random into has her archive video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/148420657. The match starts at 56:00. I wasn't able to hear most of her reactions to my 'chanting', as she puts it, and her chat also has a pretty what the gently caress reaction to it, so it's a decent watch.

Now all we need is one of your wrestling commentator matches. Unless you've already posted that, in which case I am a dumb. Edit:Also the Twitch link goes nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

poptart_fairy posted:

I need to shut my mouth a few times but when people are having fun it's too infectious. :saddowns:

Very similar playstyle to mine otherwise though. Game is great when everyone's in on it - I just don't think it's fun to get instantly murdered, or to instantly murder.
Mind meld. I outright don't kill people pre-shift unless they try to fight me. If I hurt them and scare the piss out of them they're not getting anything done anyway, so eff it, let 'em have some high tension fun.

VolticSurge posted:

Now all we need is one of your wrestling commentator matches. Unless you've already posted that, in which case I am a dumb.

I haven't, I was planning on going silent next time I got Jason so I could do a madworld edit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You are correct.

It's one of the several reasons the remake is very good.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Mr E posted:

Should I get this game on PS4 or PC? I wasn't sure the differences between communities or if hacking was something to worry about on this.

I'm on PS4 and the couple of times I've been able to join a session and actually play have been pretty awful. Tons of lovely annoying 12 year old "epik trollz" who either give away the location of other counselors to Jason or just shoot them with the shotgun and tea bag them. The PS4 version is also super buggy right now and finding a session can take a long rear end time (sometimes up to 20-25 minutes).

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The only thing that tilts me harder than having my swing interrupted by a grab is baiting out the swing and then dying anyway because he can grab you again in the time it takes your swing to wind up.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Mister Bup posted:

Despite my personal rules I do play to kill everybody. If we're doing immersion, movies rarely end with more than one survivor you know.

I did try a no-kill round where I would just make sure nobody escaped and where all terrified by the end. Then the bloodlust took over and I started killing people. I did intend for the last girl counselor to survive, but obviously I wasn't going to make it easy and kept picking her up to truely terrify her.

Tommy came in and shotgunned her to death :ughh: Oh well, at least it was my first clean sweep.

Mister Bup posted:

Buggzy is also a good candidate for heroic sacrifices. Going ham as Buggzy with melee combat perks gets you a ton of points too and since you'll be the first one to die you'll probably get to Tommy and go for the escape.

Yea, I've been having decent success braining Jason and tearassing across the map. It seems that knocking a Jason out enrages them to the point where they ignore everyone to take you down. Works 70% of the time, all the time. The rest of the time Jason homes in on you asap and shift-grabs you the second he gets shift :negative:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Basebf555 posted:

The window kill is a concession to the movies, because in the movies Jason would murder someone before throwing them into the window, it was just a scare tactic, not an actual killing method.

Nah, there are "kills" in the fourth and seventh movies where he just flings a girl out a second-story window. Neither of them look like they'd be fatal, although one lands hard enough that it's clear Jason really got his whole body into the throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH77OHkQsZY&t=196s

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Now all we need is one of your wrestling commentator matches. Unless you've already posted that, in which case I am a dumb. Edit:Also the Twitch link goes nowhere.

The period in the twitch link got hosed up, I fixed it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Coolguye posted:

Mind meld. I outright don't kill people pre-shift unless they try to fight me. If I hurt them and scare the piss out of them they're not getting anything done anyway, so eff it, let 'em have some high tension fun.

Exactly. Looks as if progression is going to be slow enough that being uber optimised outside of private matches is daft, so just kick back and get into things.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game is cool and fun but unfortunately the population is already dying quite aggressively. There are simply too many problems/balance issues.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The window kill for anything single-story should involve Jason raking his victim across the pane' s broken glass before closing it on their skull.

Context-kills really ought to be activatable in a radius around the object, rather than a tiny, easily-missed circle that only shows up when you're five feet from it. Also there should be more of them. Where's my fence-post impalement, or car-door slam, or power-generator-assisted electrocution?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

This game is cool and fun but unfortunately the population is already dying quite aggressively. There are simply too many problems/balance issues.

maybe on ps4? on PC it's been growing steadily since release, 14k yesterday night at midnight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

That was always gonna happen, I didn't have any illusions about getting more than a few weeks out of this game to maybe a month at the most. It was fun while it lasted though!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I love genuine-sounding shriek reactions and that was full of varied and entertaining kills too. All you're doing is making me want this game more.

Pondering what kind of Jason I'd be, whether it's Gregorian chant Jason or Flock of Seagulls Jason or rapey breathing Jason or something else.

All I know is that I want to be The Chad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That was always gonna happen, I didn't have any illusions about getting more than a few weeks out of this game to maybe a month at the most. It was fun while it lasted though!

Once the space map comes out everyone will play all day errday

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I dunno man, Dead by Daylight has been a meme since it came out and it still hit top sellers with its last DLC a year later. It also had horrible launch issues with games crashing, poo poo framerate on big PCs, and eight+ survivors joining some matches, but nobody even remembers that anymore.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Even as someone who backed the Kickstarter I knew the ride wouldn't last more than a month tops, that's how these games go.

But if they can keep throwing updates at us with new stuff every once in a while, that will spike the population often enough to come back for updates.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Context-kills really ought to be activatable in a radius around the object, rather than a tiny, easily-missed circle that only shows up when you're five feet from it. Also there should be more of them. Where's my fence-post impalement, or car-door slam, or power-generator-assisted electrocution?
My larger problem with context kills being hard to activate is that there's so little time to get a kill going after you grab someone. You screw around at all and the survivor is kicking out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

...! posted:

Kotaku says this game is bad because when you're a counselor it's way too easy for Jason to kill you, and also when you're Jason it's way too hard to kill anybody. Yeah. They said both of those things.

I didn't even bother with that review after reading just a little bit of it. This game is in a weird place. It came out with major issues, is jank as gently caress and yet I can't wait to play it and I can only assume it will improve with time.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Kotaku review is the text version of that old video game review where the critic was clearly awful at video games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coolguye posted:

My larger problem with context kills being hard to activate is that there's so little time to get a kill going after you grab someone. You screw around at all and the survivor is kicking out.

You're not scaring them enough first

Use fear more

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

weekly font posted:

The Kotaku review is the text version of that old video game review where the critic was clearly awful at video games.

it's barely a review, it was like a spit take article from someone who clearly didn't give a poo poo about the game and probably made up their mind after like 30 minutes.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That expression reminds me of the time that goons collectively discovered Poser and Rapeface Captain America became a thing

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

You're not scaring them enough first

Use fear more

I typically weapon them a time or two to weaken them and it can still happen surprisingly fast at times. The whole grip/kick out thing remains a mystery to me.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is there many goons playing this on Xbox? It looks appealing but I dunno if I'd want to play without people that will communicate. I just hope the learning curve isn't as bad as Evolve was, I gave up on that once my trial was up.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Wasn't that doom?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Another day, another Chad. Check my keys

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Wasn't that doom?

If only you could talk to Jason. Oh wait...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lastdancer posted:

Another day, another Chad. Check my keys

Come back when you have a screenshot of Chad in mid-boat escape, while carrying both sets of keys and the phone box fuse.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Just climbed under a bed because Jason morphed directly onto the house I was in as soon as the game started. He walks past, suddenly my guy shouts, as loud as possible "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED."

Why do you do this poo poo, game. Is it not difficult enough to survive without you just telling him where you are?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Basebf555 posted:

Come back when you have a screenshot of Chad in mid-boat escape, while carrying both sets of keys and the phone box fuse.

You'd only have 1 set of keys in a game with a boat available. :smug:

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Coolguye posted:

So a number of folks have asked for a full run of my singing Jason gimmick, I went ahead and did it yesterday and got lucky enough to have some Twitch streamstar on there as well reacting to it. It wasn't as good as people mistaking it for gospel music but it was still pretty amusing.

My view is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04AXaHkNhA here. Apologies for my many years old mic giving a static crackle in the background, there's not much I can do about that.

The streamer I happened to random into has her archive video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/148420657. The match starts at 56:00. I wasn't able to hear most of her reactions to my 'chanting', as she puts it, and her chat also has a pretty what the gently caress reaction to it, so it's a decent watch.

Caro Mio Ben happens to be one of the songs I chose to work on in voice class in college. I like how what they're interpreting as creepy chanting is actually a love song.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yo shout out to you. Was a blast playing with you last night. You saved my rear end a bunch.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, it's a little early to tell. I thought the same thing about Payday when it first came out, and they've gone above and beyond with DLC and updates and the game is still very active.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Unbalanced posted:

Caro Mio Ben happens to be one of the songs I chose to work on in voice class in college. I like how what they're interpreting as creepy chanting is actually a love song.

I even sang the english translation briefly for the streamer since she'd made it obvious she was unsettled by it and she didn't get it until I talked about it afterward lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

I dunno, it's a little early to tell. I thought the same thing about Payday when it first came out, and they've gone above and beyond with DLC and updates and the game is still very active.

I'm not really optimistic about any substantial DLC being made though. The things I've heard them saying mostly seem to emphasize how this is the game they made and they feel its complete and don't expect that all of the sudden there's gonna be a whole Freddy Kreuger expansion or whatever. And it's not like there's an endless amount of Jason related stuff they can put in the game, almost every Jason incarnation is already there and I don't think adding new counselors is going to draw people back to the game months from now. Maybe if they added a ton of new kills, that would be something that could realistically happen and would also draw people.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Coolguye posted:

I even sang the english translation briefly for the streamer since she'd made it obvious she was unsettled by it and she didn't get it until I talked about it afterward lol

Ha, yeah I just got to the part where you hugged her to death, seems appropriate.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Ah these kids today. So uncultured. Back in my day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is there many goons playing this on Xbox? It looks appealing but I dunno if I'd want to play without people that will communicate. I just hope the learning curve isn't as bad as Evolve was, I gave up on that once my trial was up.

We had a good game going last night. Look for Friday the Goonteenth in clubs.

If you manage to roll the map perk, it's a god send at the start of the match to know exactly where the major poo poo is.

My one perfect game as Jason I played totally silent and played more on scaring the poo poo out of everyone before going apeshit and murdering them all. Silent runs are super fun, but I do really enjoy a Jason who says something funny as he's chasing you.

I did one run where my Jason was proclaiming the good word of the lord.

"I just want to know if you've accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" :murder:

• Locked thread