Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think Roadhog got a bad rep from how he originally felt in the game.

My experience with original Roadhog: "What?! I was around the corner!!"

My experience with Roadhog w/ hook rework: "I'll only die if I'm a complete idiot or he sneaks up on me."

Once he was changed it never felt unfair to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

Honestly? He feels awful.
This always felt like a distinct possibility given the weight of the nerf and Roadhog already not being insanely strong. That sucks.

Thanks for the thought out insights.

My prediction is that Tracer is next on the chopping block. Maybe Pharah if the complaints really ramp up after the S76 nerf. Then there will probably be a neat sounding change to Widow or Mei that won't actually help very much.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
How're people feeling about the new map? Personally I love the flavour but it's got an even worse (better?) defensive advantage than Anubis. Really not looking forward to playing it in competitive

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I think Roadhog got a bad rep from how he originally felt in the game.

My experience with original Roadhog: "What?! I was around the corner!!"

My experience with Roadhog w/ hook rework: "I'll only die if I'm a complete idiot or he sneaks up on me."

Once he was changed it never felt unfair to me.

Here's my experiences pre and post hook reworks.

Pre: *use wraithwalk/boop/flashbang once I'm reeled in* "Alright I hosed up but now I have a chance to get away.

Post: "Cool. Glad flashing you just refunded your hook. Nice having to play around it twice in two seconds/Glad you hooked me through being flashed. Pay no mind it visually broke off me. Nope just reel me in, stun and all, and one shot me still."

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So far, it feels like they added Winston simply to have a Lol Talking Gorilla and can't really figure out what to do with him. If this rumor is legitimate, adding Hammond the (Evil?) Talking Chimpanzee just means that my first impression of Winston was completely accurate.

If the anniversary card sprays mean anything they don't, Winston is the catalyst behind a new rift in Overwatch - People optimistic for a new future who want to intervene now (Winston, Tracer, Reindhart, Zenyatta), and the jaded former members who rather let things fall apart and pick up the pieces (Jack, Anna, Torbjorn, Mercy).

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I like playing Winston. Especially when teams can't figure out how to deal with you.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Mustached Demon posted:

That seems plausible actually. Employees buy coffee using quick pay via swiping their badge and entering in a pin. Espresso machine charges their credit card.

We use a similar method at work for the vending machines.

wtf kinda lovely rear end company doesnt give employees free coffee

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The kind that gets hacked in stupid ways. Come on, keep up.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Winston represents the new people that want to fix the mistakes of prior idiots, but they have not developed the plot of new Overwatch at all. One year later we still don't know if anyone even replied to the recall order aside from Tracer and what mission(s) they might have taken on since then. There is the barest cake frosting of a plot to OW, it's primarily backstory and then you make the plot up yourself.

Notable current events since the game started:

+ Mondatta ded
+ Recall order
+ Volskaya Industries is secretly working with the Numbani omnics, the CEO is now blackmailed by Sombra
+ Torb and Bastion are pals
+ Sombra and McCree are pals
+ Hanzo got a haircut and a cake child, did he already have the child before Genji shows up in Dragons, it looks pretty old wtf...
+ Doomfist gauntlet stolen

e: So don't blame Winston for the current plot being ignored. He is only extraneous as far as the plot of the game is extraneous.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 1, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The more I think about Roadhog I'm getting annoyed. Roadhog's been my "switch to this hero to turn things around," character. The hook instantly killing was a big deal in the early days but now I'm lucky to land any hooks with the ten million shields that clog every match. When I manage to spot an opening and land a hook I feel like I deserve that kill cause I feel like Luke in the Death Star trench staying on target.

I also like playing Roadhog cause it often times turns into a kind game with other players while deciding how to bait them into a hook opening, when to shoot, what type of shot, and when to heal. I guess it's time to take Zarya seriously. :(

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

this is the cycle of all blizzard games, trickle away at dps, gradually lower skill ceiling, improve healing and defensive cooldowns until every match is a 20 minute stalemate. The most pure of all 50% winrates, a game that never ends...

Keeshhound posted:

The kind that gets hacked in stupid ways. Come on, keep up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
winston isn't interesting *forgets the character is a literal gorilla scientist from the moon(?)*

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kassoon posted:

wtf kinda lovely rear end company doesnt give employees free coffee

For real? Usually it's something paid for by the staff that uses the break room from a pool of money that everyone contributes to.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

I would consider it a red flag for a toxic work environment if they didn't keep employees hopped up on free coffee by the gallon

it's just bad business

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Torb and Bastion are palsl
+ Sombra and McCree are pals

When did either of these happen? Torb hates anything remotely related to the omnics, and Sombra just needles McCree with personal information he wants hidden (... like his first name being Joel.)

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The latest comic showed the beginning of Bastion and Torb's friendship. I think Sombra and McCree is from like the Christmas comic or something?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Christmas comic showed McCree and Sombra at the same bar that you can see in Castillo. They weren't interacting but the whole page was about various heroes with their friends and family so it probably didn't mean nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Star posted:

I never understood why people felt hog was so oppressive. Many times it's really obvious when he's going for the hook so you just have to either dodge or move beyond hook range. The times he actually hooks me I've hosed up and should be the one blamed.

People really cannot deal with the idea that "being somewhere dangerous" is enough of a mistake to deserve dying for. It's the same thing that makes them so whiny about snipers, except that the snipers were dumpstered ages ago while Roadhog was still a legitimate part of the game.

Kassoon posted:

this is the cycle of all blizzard games, trickle away at dps, gradually lower skill ceiling, improve healing and defensive cooldowns until every match is a 20 minute stalemate. The most pure of all 50% winrates, a game that never ends...

Yeah this is the worst part. If it were just "Overwatch without Roadhog being good" that'd be fine, whatever, there are lots of fun, almost-well-designed heroes who suck too much to be viable, just look at Junkrat. The problem, and the really depressing part, is that they have this lovely vision for what a game should look like where anything that gets sudden, explosive kills or speeds the game up is nerfed into obscurity.

I like Overwatch because for most of its history it's been the Blizzard game least affected by this bullshit but I'm worried about what it'll look like a year from now.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 1, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Star posted:

I never understood why people felt hog was so oppressive. Many times it's really obvious when he's going for the hook so you just have to either dodge or move beyond hook range. The times he actually hooks me I've hosed up and should be the one blamed.

The only time hog feels really oppressive is if it's Lijang Garden and you lose the point, and you're effectively forced to take the back route. That's more map design than anything else

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

When did either of these happen? Torb hates anything remotely related to the omnics, and Sombra just needles McCree with personal information he wants hidden (... like his first name being Joel.)

There was an animated short about Torb and Bastion. It looked like Blizzard trying to recast Torb as more of a big softy with robot-induced PTSD than a robo-racist.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There was an animated short about Torb and Bastion. It looked like Blizzard trying to recast Torb as more of a big softy with robot-induced PTSD than a robo-racist.

Which short was this?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the Torb-Bastion thing was a comic.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
Hahaa, get hosed Roadhog.

I don't know who you were up against, but I'm a lousy rear end Roadhog while opponent Hogs always get the perfect killing blow.
Like, come around a corner, MB2 perfectly hits me in the face, dead.
Dance in fuckin circles, get hit -> hooked -> hit again -> melee, dead (if not already)

And so on, and so on, even ignoring the instant death pit-hooks. The really good Hogs hit you at least once before hooking, and those Hogs will still get their kills on most of the characters, imho.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I think the Torb-Bastion thing was a comic.

Oh, yeah, you're right. Probably explains why it didn't get as much widespread attention, heh.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Father Wendigo posted:

Lol just lol if you didn't know this was an official ship

The other bit is from Reflections and is now enshrined in the Castillo map

https://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/bastion-binary
http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/tracer-reflections

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Hahaa, get hosed Roadhog.

I don't know who you were up against, but I'm a lousy rear end Roadhog while opponent Hogs always get the perfect killing blow.
Like, come around a corner, MB2 perfectly hits me in the face, dead.
Dance in fuckin circles, get hit -> hooked -> hit again -> melee, dead (if not already)

And so on, and so on, even ignoring the instant death pit-hooks. The really good Hogs hit you at least once before hooking, and those Hogs will still get their kills on most of the characters, imho.

Pretty sure that's confirmation bias speaking. Like, once you get hooked, there's a decently high likelihood that you're going to die. But I bet you that for every hook that was a 'perfect killing blow', there was at least 1 that missed, broke, or the roadhog hosed up the combo on. But generally, if you're a lousy rear end roadhog, then the people that are at your skill rank are also just as bad as you, but the only time that you notice them is when they're getting kills.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hell, I qualify as a "really good roadhog" but i'm still going to feel these changes hit me ridiculously hard.

I'm just happy i'm maining winston right now.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

berenzen posted:

Pretty sure that's confirmation bias speaking. Like, once you get hooked, there's a decently high likelihood that you're going to die. But I bet you that for every hook that was a 'perfect killing blow', there was at least 1 that missed, broke, or the roadhog hosed up the combo on. But generally, if you're a lousy rear end roadhog, then the people that are at your skill rank are also just as bad as you, but the only time that you notice them is when they're getting kills.

No, not bias, I AM bad at Hog, but not AS bad on some other heroes I mainly play. I just don't play Hog very often. So I do meet people on my skill range that are very good hooking poor saps, because they play him almost exclusively.

(my range is between 2000-3000 lol)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think with the new changes you're going to have to be ridiculously high skilled to make good use of hog now. He's not useful to anyone who doesn't play him like the delicate flower he is now.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

ANGRYGREEK posted:

No, not bias, I AM bad at Hog, but not AS bad on some other heroes I mainly play. I just don't play Hog very often. So I do meet people on my skill range that are very good hooking poor saps, because they play him almost exclusively.

(my range is between 2000-3000 lol)
My point still stands though. Those 2-3000 roadhogs are still going to be missing a large percentage of their hooks and feeding hundreds of HP worth of ult charge because of it. You are only noticing the ones where they hit you, not where they're missing because there's no recognition of that on your screen. The best roadhogs in the world only maintain about a 60-65% hook accuracy, I'm pretty sure that the people that you're playing against are probably about 40-45 or less.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Linx posted:

How're people feeling about the new map? Personally I love the flavour but it's got an even worse (better?) defensive advantage than Anubis. Really not looking forward to playing it in competitive

i think the new map is a lot of fun, there's a lot of interesting side paths and catwalk vantage points. i don't know about defensive advantage, the first point has a decent chokepoint but there's a bunch of routes to take from there, more than most other maps i can think of. 2nd point has like, 5 routes into it as well. the few games i played were pretty even on both sides.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
1v1 is still a bad game-mode because 9/10 times the character with the self-heal is the one who's going to win. Also do they really need the intro slowly panning across both characters before every round?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

1v1 is still a bad game-mode because 9/10 times the character with the self-heal is the one who's going to win. Also do they really need the intro slowly panning across both characters before every round?

I stand by my theory that all the bullshit delays and the ludicrous number of matches in 1v1 is all done out of fear that it would be too good for farming lootboxes if it were quicker.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I like the new map but the distance from defensive spawn to the 1st point is kinda bogus because it doesn't relocate for the 2nd. Major bonus is being able to hang out on top of the tire swings. :3:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I thought in 1 vs 1 you weren't able to pick your character

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

We Know Catheters posted:

I thought in 1 vs 1 you weren't able to pick your character

They changed it to 3 mirrored choices per round

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

I like the new map but the distance from defensive spawn to the 1st point is kinda bogus because it doesn't relocate for the 2nd. Major bonus is being able to hang out on top of the tire swings. :3:

All the 2CP maps are like that, with only one defensive spawn the whole game.

I don't really have a problem with it, but they really ought to give defense a one-time forward spawn at the start of the match so the setup time can be shorter.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

but they really ought to give defense a one-time forward spawn at the start of the match so the setup time can be shorter.

Yes. For fucks sake spawn the defenders close to the attackers before the round starts and cut setup to 30 seconds. Also eliminate the 1v1 painfully long intros. Also make the round end screens cycle faster or better yet let me flip between them at my own pace. This game is great and I've been playing since day one, but hooley dooley do some parts waste your time!

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

wasting your time is integral to the game's experience. Imagine if real slot machines just immediately showed you the result? Boring! Unprofitable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008