Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hope some of you are still playing bridge crew on the weekend, I won't get a chance to play until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

DK2 IPD Workaround:

Exit Oculus Home
Stop OVRService
Edit the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Oculus\NetServer.cfg
On the line that says "DK2LensSeparationOverride": 0,
Change 0 to your IPD (in meters: example for 63.8mm change to 0.0638)
Save the file
Start OVRService

Note: I haven't tried this but I've just looked at that file on my PC and it is there, can't see why this wouldn't work :)

DK2LensSeparationOverride is separate from IPD, it's used for correcting for custom lens holders. I tried it anyway, it didn't really work.

It looks like the best solution is to roll back to the 0.8 runtime and use SteamVR for everything.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

The Walrus posted:

hope some of you are still playing bridge crew on the weekend, I won't get a chance to play until then.
conversely I hope some of you are playing bridge crew after this weekend, as I'm going out of town :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'll be attempting very drunk bridge crew this evening, it's gonna be a blast.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Just in case you missed it, you can get bridge crew for $39 on uplay if you use some of your uplay achievement rewards or whatever for a 20% off coupon, they then send you a steam key.

Game is awesome, did 3 missions last night with randos and had a blast.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

DK2LensSeparationOverride is separate from IPD, it's used for correcting for custom lens holders. I tried it anyway, it didn't really work.

It looks like the best solution is to roll back to the 0.8 runtime and use SteamVR for everything.

Yeah it's the nearest thing I could find to it, sorry :(
Using an old runtime would be my choice, there is a runtime switcher I used for a while, I can't even remember why now, something to do with Windows 10 wanting runtime 1.3 or something. The switcher got around that

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ugh. My Rift has developed a "hitching" problem- it's not constant like low framerate, but I notice it the picture will occasionally "jump" especially when panning my head left to right. I don't understand what the issue is, I have a 1070 and this never has been an issue before.

This is only the latest problem, after I solved my tracking issues. Honestly I'm so sick of troubleshooting this thing. If it's not one thing it's something else.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'll be attempting very drunk bridge crew this evening, it's gonna be a blast.

Did some moderately drunk bridge crew last night. Learned that you can fit a beer into the vive controller's centre hole making it so you can kind of use both hands and drink at the engineering console. Never drink and helm though. Federation DUIs suck.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah it's the nearest thing I could find to it, sorry :(
Using an old runtime would be my choice, there is a runtime switcher I used for a while, I can't even remember why now, something to do with Windows 10 wanting runtime 1.3 or something. The switcher got around that

Tried and failed. SteamVR works, but Bridge Crew doesn't seem to detect the headset at all.

I think I might just put it in the drawer till I find it 15 years later and sell it to people feeling nostalgic.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Tried and failed. SteamVR works, but Bridge Crew doesn't seem to detect the headset at all.

I think I might just put it in the drawer till I find it 15 years later and sell it to people feeling nostalgic.

UPlay was loving with SteamVR for me with the account linking thing until I restarted the game. Make sure it has the game linked to your UPlay account. (I was using a Vive though, so could be some fuckery with the game as well).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It was working with the latest Oculus drivers installed, just not on 0.8. The lack of IPD adjustment makes it too difficult to focus with my fat head, though the game is kinda playable if I pretend to be a pirate (and with some supersampling because wow I forgot how chunky the pixels were)

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Does this work in general? I have a DK2, but the computer I could use it with won't run Oculus Home (because it's on a network with group policy settings that are incompatible with Oculus service agent blah blah blah). If SteamVR works/still works with .8 that would be neato. Random Googling isn't telling me anything.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

jmzero posted:

Does this work in general? I have a DK2, but the computer I could use it with won't run Oculus Home (because it's on a network with group policy settings that are incompatible with Oculus service agent blah blah blah). If SteamVR works/still works with .8 that would be neato. Random Googling isn't telling me anything.

It works but it's a little weird sometimes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

ugh. My Rift has developed a "hitching" problem- it's not constant like low framerate, but I notice it the picture will occasionally "jump" especially when panning my head left to right. I don't understand what the issue is, I have a 1070 and this never has been an issue before.

This is only the latest problem, after I solved my tracking issues. Honestly I'm so sick of troubleshooting this thing. If it's not one thing it's something else.
You've tried running through camera setup again? If any of mine get moved then sometimes I get hitches until I redo the room setup.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

El Grillo posted:

You've tried running through camera setup again? If any of mine get moved then sometimes I get hitches until I redo the room setup.

Well, this was immediately after I set the cameras up. Actually, I've noticed it the last couple times I've set my Rift up over the past few months, as if it was a recent update that started it or something.

Might be a USB thing. Gonna futz with it tonight. But looking left to right just feels... not quite buttery smooth, not like it should be, even when it's not hiccuping.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Holy crap this Bridge Crew poo poo is fun. It's literally just an excuse for 4 random nerds to yell at eachother.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Yeah, just got done playing with a bunch of random people and everyone was having a blast with it. Random missions are pretty cool, and the TOS Enterprise is a bitch to do anything in. Which made succeeding the mission with 4% hull left all the better.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Syves posted:

Yeah, just got done playing with a bunch of random people and everyone was having a blast with it. Random missions are pretty cool, and the TOS Enterprise is a bitch to do anything in. Which made succeeding the mission with 4% hull left all the better.

TOS Enterprise gets really cool when you're comfortable enough to turn off the help tips. The ambiance is just fantastic.

I really hope Ubi puts out more missions, more options, a mission editor, anything, because its going to start wearing thin after not too long. I mean, I feel I've already got my money's worth out of it if they took it away tomorrow, but the game is a blast and I don't want to see it wither away. Limping away from mission 5 with 5% hull left, getting pounded racing to the exit waiting for the warp core to charge is one of the most exhilarating experiences I've had in a game in a while.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 1, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

@RedStorm are the developers. They didn't answer my question if development will continue, which I think they'd like to advertise if it was true, so don't get your hopes up unless this thing sells well among the market that can even play it.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Tom Guycot posted:

I really hope Ubi puts out more missions, more options, a mission editor, anything, because its going to start wearing thin after not too long.

This was my worry with the game. It feels much more like a $25 than a $50 to me, but then I'm afraid the community will be dead by the time a sale or something comes.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Who ordered the pogo stick locomotion?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3d4z9IQio

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Rectus posted:

Who ordered the pogo stick locomotion?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3d4z9IQio

The ultimate test of vr legs.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fooz posted:

Skipping gen1 is the reasonable choice for sure. I'm sort of jealous of people who ignore VR till gen 2/3, the first impression will be unreal.

At Augmented World Expo, Kopin showed their prototype of a headset which has a 2048 x 2048 120Hz OLED per each eye while being half the size of an Oculus Rift:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/01/vr-headsets-could-soon-be-half-the-size-of-the-oculus-rift/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man, Star Trek VR is kinda expensive, how deep is it? Is there a lot of missions?

I feel compelled to buy this and then roleplay as Zapp Brannigan

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zaphod42 posted:

Man, Star Trek VR is kinda expensive, how deep is it? Is there a lot of missions?

6 missions, infinite dynamic missions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

6 missions, infinite dynamic missions.

I'm watching a review and its really glowing.

Agh I guess I gotta get this.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you play with a fun crew that totally gets into the geeking out roleplay aspect and you're hearing the exchanges like "helm set heading, 135 mark 0" "aye captain setting course 135". and all that kind of stuff, its an absolute blast. Part of the odd fun for me when not playing captain is following the captains orders to the letter, even if I know they're bad because, well, they're the captain :v:

I'll give some advice though, engineer is very very poorly explained by the game and all the systems behind power. For phasers it shows the more power in them the more range, what it doesn't tell you is it also does more damage. As a baseline against a klingon bird of prey's shields, with 1 in energy you do 8 damage, with 5 in energy 10 damage, and if you reroute power from other systems and overload the phasers fully, each shot does 13 damage. Shields, at 1 energy you take 3 times the damage, at 5 you take the exact damage, no multiplier, if you reroute power to the shields fully you take half damage. Likewise the more power in engines, the faster your turning radius, not just forward speed.

None of that is explained in any way, I only know that from player testing. If you don't know how all that changes and how important it is, engineer feels kinda dull and boring, but once you know what you need to do, it becomes insanely frantic and busy in any fight.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Engineering is really the only station that has any kinda depth to it tbh, there's kind of an art to getting everyone the power they need and rerouting power around stuff that's about to catch on fire. Helm and tactical you can master in about 30 seconds.

Its not really a game you play for depth though, all the buttons and systems are really just a pretense for forcing people to yell at each other about Star Trek.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

homeless snail posted:

Engineering is really the only station that has any kinda depth to it tbh, there's kind of an art to getting everyone the power they need and rerouting power around stuff that's about to catch on fire. Helm and tactical you can master in about 30 seconds.

Its not really a game you play for depth though, all the buttons and systems are really just a pretense for forcing people to yell at each other about Star Trek.
They really did learn from Artemis

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I couldn't figure out the routing thing, even if I routed something away from something that had a lot of orange it would keep creeping up, it sort of only seemed to stop if I was routing nothing to that column

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

It's also kinda the most boring, because you're just enabling everyone else to do their job by keeping the lights on. You don't even get a decent angle to watch the viewscreen, and on the TOS bridge, they put babby in a corner!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/870444205117550594

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KakerMix posted:

Ah, yeah that's a bummer because those insightful videos were cool as heck. Still are I suppose but now I know he's ~one of those~ people.

Shamus Young is not MrBTongue, unless he has both two identities and changes his voice for each. He has written about that stuff in the past, but he did not do the Shandification video. That's someone else.

But yeah, Shamus has been disappointing me for a while. Despite allegedly wanting his site to be non-political and whatnot he let his MRA friend poo poo the forums up back during GamerGate from the look I took there, which combined with other things led to me stopping reading his blog and whatnot.

Edit: Meanwhile, on VR... I still have yet to experience it because I am broke. I really want to check this stuff out sometime too, and I know some people who I think would really like it as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 2, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bridge crew report: Fun as poo poo. Got in with a random pug that worked well together and we had a blast, scraping through with only 2% of our hull left because we were all trying to figure out how the hell to fly the Enterprise. We are spoiled by touchscreens.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Bridge crew report: Fun as poo poo. Got in with a random pug that worked well together and we had a blast, scraping through with only 2% of our hull left because we were all trying to figure out how the hell to fly the Enterprise. We are spoiled by touchscreens.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Please do not mock Ensign Snickerdoodle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there anywhere that Demos the Vive?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

veni veni veni posted:

Is there anywhere that Demos the Vive?

Do Microsoft stores still do them?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Do Microsoft stores still do them?

I think they just do rifts but I don't know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

looked into it a little further but I see nothing near Colorado/Denver. I'd really like to try one but they don't seem to be making easy.

I still need to try Rift too, but there are demos of it literally everywhere I just haven't had the time when I've been around one.