Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Furnaceface posted:

My favourite part of thinking into the future is that at some point a group of historians is going to be assigned to reading through the Something Awful Forums during the pre and post Trump era.

Actually I bet a sociologist could do a fascinating book or paper on SA or the Goonfleet forums. How the people on the forums aged and became more tolerant over time and stopped the unfunny ironic racism, sexism and homophobic-slandering as they aged and how new sites like reddit and voat appeared to fill the void. We've already seen reddit follow SA to a degree. It'll be interesting to see where it is in five years, and where voat is in five years.

Majorian posted:

Ahahahaaaaa! Yeah, that would be pretty galling.

That poo poo always happens though. My college (Occidental) got a brand new dorm with giant singles rooms and a nice gym immediately after I graduated. After I had lived in roach motels all four years. loving assholes.

Why the hell did you live in the dorms for four years?

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Probably a lot cheaper than paying LA rent on an apartment

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Apartments in Eagle Rock were expensive as hell and also really lovely when I was there (early-mid 2000's). Also I had a falling out with some friends halfway through, so~

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Where was this? I did pretty much the same thing in Hawaii. It was weird though, like some places closed at 2 a.m. others are 4 a.m. it felt like clubs were open longer than most bars.

NYC and the greater metro area.

Yeah, usually you can find a kind of "bar/club/after hours" pecking order in some places. I spent a month in England and after a week or so I learned that there was a whole rhythm similar to what I knew. "Respectable" bars til 10, "dive" bars till 12 or 1, skeezy clubs till 2, kebabs from food carts after.

But in a most places I've been that weren't really densely populated or more rural its a lot more a case of needing to find the one crappy bar that's open or just finding a house party.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, but whats the excuse for leftists still saying that her speech was "gently caress all of you, I hope you die in a ditch. I really hate you on a personal level and want to laugh at your pain. Bye."

Because it was more condescending dismissive "The people have no jobs? Then let them eat job retraining programs" liberal elite cluelessness.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A lot of schools, especially smaller ones, have nice dorms and students who live there throughout undergrad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Majorian posted:

What leverage does a non-binding agreement give them over the US?

Botany already covered it, but:

botany posted:

Those of you who can read German, this is a pretty good article on what exiting the Paris Accord actually means and why it's bad for the US:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/natur/donald-trump-und-welt-klimavertrag-das-bedeutet-der-ausstieg-der-usa-a-1150356.html

For those of you who can't read our gibberish, the short version is basically that the US won't be part of the talks surrounding the climate agreement anymore. Those talks are not about emission goals, since the signed states set those themselves anyway, but they are an international opportunity to make deals. Under the present agreement, countries are investing heavily into renewable energy infrastructure, which typically takes the form of, e.g., Germany investing billions into India's renewable energy sources. This means India gets top of the line technology on the cheap, while German engineering firms get lucrative contracts. Such agreements are also bargaining chips in negotiations on all sorts of deals from anti-terrorism cooperation to the refugee situation. The US is going to lose a lot of influence by no longer sitting at those tables. This will mean loss of contracts for US firms and loss of investment money, all in a country like the US, where more people work in renewable energy than in oil, gas and coal combined.

And then there's obviously the danger of global warming, which would hit certain US areas hard anyway, but this is really about a lot more than just climate change.

Basically, the US is going to be the odd man out for anything and everything that comes around as a result of the Paris agreement, which will be considerable.

Tibalt posted:

When I look at Pittsburgh, I say to myself "There is a city that loves Rust Belt capitalism. There is a city that hasn't embraced the future with a seething desperation, terrified of what it nearly became. There is a city that isn't psychologically and physically scarred by the betrayals of the Reagan years. Pittsburgh isn't a city that maniacally proclaims its bright future, to hide it's collective insecurity and existential dread. They don't watch Detroit carefully, as an omen of what almost was and could yet still be.

"Also they don't give two shits about sports there, it's really weird."

Also we're the city that hosted the Bassmaster tournament where a bunch of "world class" fisherman get skunked, or find out some/all of their vass were dead by the time weigh-in rolled around because the rivers here are still highly toxic and will likely kill you, slowly and painfully, if you were to eat the fish out of it or drink its water without lots of treatment.

Also IIRC, after that tournament a bunch of changes were made because, unsurprisingly, not as many people wanted to watch their favorite fishermen catch the occasional drum or carp. Or nothing at all over the course of several days. :v:

Josh Lyman posted:

When you turn 30, 4am becomes a pipe dream.

I'm in my 30s and I've been up until well past 4 when out at bars with people. It's not 30, it's you.

Phoix posted:

Your daily dose of what the gently caress are they doing.

https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/870420332565475328

No puppet, no puppet.

poo poo like this is why I'll never pay for the NYT.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Probably a lot cheaper than paying LA rent on an apartment

Are we talking about with roommates? Cause dorms are loving expensive. Moreso than apartments, in my experience.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Majorian posted:

Apartments in Eagle Rock were expensive as hell and also really lovely when I was there (early-mid 2000's). Also I had a falling out with some friends halfway through, so~

Good reasons.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, usually you can find a kind of "bar/club/after hours" pecking order in some places. I spent a month in England and after a week or so I learned that there was a whole rhythm similar to what I knew. "Respectable" bars til 10, "dive" bars till 12 or 1, skeezy clubs till 2, kebabs from food carts after.

But in a most places I've been that weren't really densely populated or more rural its a lot more a case of needing to find the one crappy bar that's open or just finding a house party.

Yeah. We have the same sorta rhythm here. A Friday here is happy hour for food and beer at 5, nap or pregame at 8, club at 10, bars at midnight or 1. Late night eats at 3.

Josh Lyman posted:

A lot of schools, especially smaller ones, have nice dorms and students who live there throughout undergrad.

Heh. I wouldn't know about "nice dorms." Fake news!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mr Interweb posted:

Are we talking about with roommates? Cause dorms are loving expensive. Moreso than apartments, in my experience.

lol if you aren't stacking 6 kids in a Koreatown apartment

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

STAC Goat posted:

I always forget its weird that bars around here stay open until 4. It was such a culture shock when I started traveling and found out that bars closed at like the time I would go out at home.

Yeah, this doesn't mean anything more than MAYBE Joe Biden is MAYBE thinking of MAYBE running so he's getting the ball running and doing the pre-pre-work. But he could just as easily just be raising money for other political advocacy or bar tabs or something because even if he doesn't plan to run for oldest President ever he still isn't ready to retire from the politics.

what would you do while waiting to go out ? I've never understood that. a nice nap?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I hate covfefe for making the olds feel like they get to be hip.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Evil Fluffy posted:

Botany already covered it, but:

Basically, the US is going to be the odd man out for anything and everything that comes around as a result of the Paris agreement, which will be considerable.

That's all true, but I still think people are overstating the importance of this - not that it's not extremely important, because it is, but we were already a ways down the road of isolating ourselves diplomatically through really stupid unilateral decisions.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Jaxyon posted:

lol if you aren't stacking 6 kids in a Koreatown apartment

Yeah, even with roommates. I haven't gone apartment shopping in like four years but just spitballing, a one-bedroom apartment is gonna start at around 1100-1200 per month and that's probably in a slightly lovely neighborhood without parking.

Right now I'm in a pretty lovely 2br in a decent neighborhood and it's $1500 between me and the roommate. It's rent-controlled and the original lease was signed like eight years ago so if I were to sign a lease on the same place tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 1700-1800.

Undergrads at USC were paying like $800-1000 to share a room and it's not a good neighborhood at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Confounding Factor posted:

How much sleep do you get?

About 8.5

Assume roughly one hour to fall asleep and get up at 6:45.

Bring an old man owns. Except everything hurts.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Glumslinger posted:

Hillary was too centrist for me, but sign me up for Joe Biden :downs:

Not saying that he isn't cool, but I'm sure that there are a ton of people who would unironically feel that way

Joe Biden is pretty close to actually being the corporate centrist that a lot of people accused Hillary of being, but he's an old white dude who's charismatic and also his Onion character is a lot of fun so it's okay.

But seriously, Joe Biden is going to be close to 80 in 2020. There's no way he runs. I mean I'd still vote for him in the general if it came down to it, but holy poo poo would I be disgusted with myself afterwards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, even with roommates. I haven't gone apartment shopping in like four years but just spitballing, a one-bedroom apartment is gonna start at around 1100-1200 per month and that's probably in a slightly lovely neighborhood without parking.

Right now I'm in a pretty lovely 2br in a decent neighborhood and it's $1500 between me and the roommate. It's rent-controlled and the original lease was signed like eight years ago so if I were to sign a lease on the same place tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 1700-1800.

Undergrads at USC were paying like $800-1000 to share a room and it's not a good neighborhood at all.

Jesus man, I'm paying less than you for a 2300 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Good lord does this man have a goofy face but Jon Bel Edwards has won two national elections in blood red Louisiana. He might be a good person to get on the ticket.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

rent's too drat high

LA is bad but not nearly as bad as SF or NYC, the Bay Area you're looking at more than $2k for a 1br https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/national-rent-data/

there just isn't an incentive to build new, affordable rental units

international students at USC were pretty literally stacking in 5-6 to a 1br apartment at USC, I had a friend who lived with five other Chinese students and her room was three beds squeezed in with barely any floorspace to actually walk around

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah but you have to live near Detroit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

My apartment in D.C. was a 435 square foot studio apartment in Dupont Circle for $1,935 a month.

That was with a 3% discount.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My apartment in D.C. was a 435 square foot studio apartment in Dupont Circle for $1,935 a month.

That was with a 3% discount.

To be fair, that was in Dupont.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

That depends on where you go but more and more schools have also been turning dorms into just another revenue stream. The school I went to started mandating that students live longer in the dorms. When I started I think it was a new-ish policy but you were required to live in the dorms for one year if you didn't already live within like a 30 mile radius. Like a year before I graduated that mysteriously went up to two years. Which also happened to be the year before they built some newer, fancier, belligerently expensive dorms. They were also pushing suites that, if you did the math, were bug gently caress expensive. We're talking $700 a month per person to get a bedroom in a four bedroom apartment. Mind this was in rural PA; you can rent entire houses for less than that.

So enrollment tanked, nobody wants to live in the dorms if they can help it, and the school is going "WE NEED TO INCREASE ENROLLMENT! SPEND MORE MONEY ON STUPID poo poo THE STUDENTS DON'T ACTUALLY WANT/CAN'T AFFORD AND RAISE TUITION."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lote posted:

Good lord does this man have a goofy face but Jon Bel Edwards has won two national elections in blood red Louisiana. He might be a good person to get on the ticket.

He basically won because David Vitter pissed off so many people that other Republicans refused to endorse him. He's having a really tough time trying to get anything pushed through in Louisiana right now. As it looks right now, he's probably going to be voted out in 2019 if the Republicans run anyone mildly palatable.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pellisworth posted:

https://la.curbed.com/2017/3/27/15078610/cheap-neighborhoods-santa-monica-los-angeles-rents-map

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pellisworth posted:

rent's too drat high

LA is bad but not nearly as bad as SF or NYC, the Bay Area you're looking at more than $2k for a 1br https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/national-rent-data/

there just isn't an incentive to build new, affordable rental units

international students at USC were pretty literally stacking in 5-6 to a 1br apartment at USC, I had a friend who lived with five other Chinese students and her room was three beds squeezed in with barely any floorspace to actually walk around

News in LA today was that homelessness is way the gently caress up as well as rent

We just passed a bunch of homeless housing funding but that's going to take years to happen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Insect Court posted:

Because it was more condescending dismissive "The people have no jobs? Then let them eat job retraining programs" liberal elite cluelessness.

And, you know, creating actual jobs there. But that doesn't fit your narrative, so gently caress it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

People familiar with their thinking.

People familiar with their thinking.

Hey guys I've read enough Hitchhiker's Guide to be familiar with Douglas Adams' thinking, let me tell you what he'd think about Game 1 tonight.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Silly Burrito posted:

He basically won because David Vitter pissed off so many people that other Republicans refused to endorse him. He's having a really tough time trying to get anything pushed through in Louisiana right now. As it looks right now, he's probably going to be voted out in 2019 if the Republicans run anyone mildly palatable.

The budget was a disaster going in. It's gotten a lot better. The Medicaid expansion saved the parish hospitals from going bankrupt. Sure he's going to have trouble getting stuff pushed through but the state is bankrupt and needs to find the money from somewhere. The federal funding for New Orleans was running out in 2015 so a bunch of new buildings are starting to finish. That's good because there's 50% less abandoned buildings now. The only downside is they are condos.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lote posted:

The budget was a disaster going in. It's gotten a lot better. The Medicaid expansion saved the parish hospitals from going bankrupt. Sure he's going to have trouble getting stuff pushed through but the state is bankrupt and needs to find the money from somewhere. The federal funding for New Orleans was running out in 2015 so a bunch of new buildings are starting to finish. That's good because there's 50% less abandoned buildings now. The only downside is they are condos.

Hell, the budget is still a disaster, and they can't find ways to pay for it that anyone can agree on even though everyone knew that this was the year to straighten it up. Everyone wants new roads and TOPS tuition, but I'll be damned if anyone thinks they should pay a cent in taxes to pay for it at all.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Actually I bet a sociologist could do a fascinating book or paper on SA or the Goonfleet forums. How the people on the forums aged and became more tolerant over time and stopped the unfunny ironic racism, sexism and homophobic-slandering as they aged and how new sites like reddit and voat appeared to fill the void. We've already seen reddit follow SA to a degree. It'll be interesting to see where it is in five years, and where voat is in five years.

Hopefully doing 25 upstate.

But yeah, I do often think about how SA became largely more left leaning. Significant moderation is certainly a factor, but given that the leftward bent largely came from LF self-radicalizing, it's not the obly factor.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 2, 2017

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im posting from ten pages back but goddamn fojar is stupid

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/870439851044335616
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/870403671393263618
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/870396195562074114
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/870406662582136832
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/870410293805015040
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/870393967619096577

https://twitter.com/AnnTelnaes/status/870401227514826753

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 2, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've lurked here fora bit but mainly this forum and DIY stuff.

I didn't realize this forum had a lot of racism and homophobia happening, that's why I liked it

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

NYC it was, pregame from midnight to 2, a club either near Hell's Kitchen, downtown or Dumbo until 10AM and then Afterhours until 7PM. Or you just showed up at sound factory at like 3 and stayed until midnight the next night.

I had actually encountered some of the people from MTV's True Life: I'm an afterhours clubber, specifically that eastern european chick, can't remember her name.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 2, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really hope none of you ever have to live in Boston. Good 1brs run ~$1900 to start depending on the area.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

I really hope none of you ever have to live in Boston. Good 1brs run ~$1900 to start depending on the area.

Check out the map I posted. LOL if you think a good 1br at under $2k is bad when talking to people in Cali

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
those numbers are medians btw, not upper limits

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So it looks like the CA Senate passed the single payer bill. Does the CA house have to approve it now? When should I move there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I ride the LA Metro rail pretty often, it's actually quite good it just has really lovely coverage.

The stretch through Highland Park is insanely slow due to the track being where kids play and kinda makes it unusable for me.

Never forget :911:

The Pacific Electric system also is a pretty good symbol of Trump's infrastructure plan

• Locked thread