Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

"Millstone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Amazing Zimmo posted:

So it looks like CIG is going to miss E3 again this year.

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/alphalist.cfm?alpha=C

also no RSI.

Crytek will be there though lol

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

MilesK posted:

Why… why did the UEE kill my family?

I grew up in a poor mining village on Lago in Nexus. I can barely remember my childhood… the love of family, a warm bed, stories my Mother told me of heroes fighting monsters. Little did I know that I would become the monster.

In 2933 my life abruptly changed. I was only a child then. One day I was salvaging parts off of a wreckage… and it began. The UEE unleashed a brutal assault on my village. I could see the smoke rising in the distance. I ran home only to find my family had been murdered and my village destroyed. A pirate found me searching through the rubble and offered to let me board his ship. We escaped and hid in Cathcart before the UEE could find us.

I lost everything that day.

I had nowhere to go. He took me under his wing as his own child. He taught me how to survive… how to fight. Most importantly, he taught me the old ways… the Lemegeton… how to hack consciousness with ritual… with blood. I fell in love with him… but I never revealed it to him… or anyone.

We operated in very nefarious parts of the galaxy… sometimes profitable, but always dangerous. One day, while doing a drug trade, we were caught in a UEE sting operation. We were tried and sent to prison.

I never saw him again.

In prison, I was treated like a piece of meat. Every night the guards took turns having their way with me. I’d close my eyes and pray… I prayed to the spirits for vengeance. One night, the guard that came into my cell was drunk, he could barely stand. I knew this was my opportunity. As he began to violate me, I shanked him in the eye. After quickly grabbing his weapon and key codes, I released as many of my cellmates as I could. We overtook the complacent guards and made our escape sustaining only minor injuries.

I’ve been on the run ever since.

I reunited with my old comrades and began preparing… preparing for my fight against the system. With hate in my heart, I began to assemble a fleet… waiting for the day my love would be released from prison and together we’d unleash our vengeance. This was the birth of the Anarchy Crime Network… and the day I became 4narchistX.

Join the fight.

:gonk:

I lost it here

quote:

… and the day I became 4narchistX.

Is this the new Fourth Stimpire?

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 3, 2017

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Check out the video from 20:15 - 23:05. Here, we learn the development strategy CIG is using to rework the Item 2.0 system. This strategy is considered "Best Practice" in the industry, as large companies begin to lose control and maintainability in their systems. Large applications or businesses made up of many different large applications lose the ability to create new functionality and maintain the code they have if everytime they need a task done, they write new code to do it. This sounds like the method taken in the original item system that has been a nightmare to maintain and increased time on creating new mechanics.

My only programming experience is writing little things to do simple jobs at work in C# and learning stuff in university, but holy poo poo, just watching that part blew my mind. What libraries in C++ are was literally like the first thing they taught us.

If that's not proof that the current "game" has been panickly rushed out and hacked together piece of poo poo to just get something in backers hands, I don't know what is.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Sappo569 posted:

Crytek will be there though lol

Yeah apparently they'll be showing off a free to play game called Hunt: Showdown. I hope they went with a decent engine like unreal or unity :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt:_Showdown

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amazing Zimmo posted:

also no RSI.

Intel has only reserved a pair of marketing rooms as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rudager posted:

My only programming experience is writing little things to do simple jobs at work in C# and learning stuff in university, but holy poo poo, just watching that part blew my mind. What libraries in C++ are was literally like the first thing they taught us.

If that's not proof that the current "game" has been panickly rushed out and hacked together piece of poo poo to just get something in backers hands, I don't know what is.

This is the equivalent of discovering that Excel has a "SUM" function when you've spent years manually adding cells in your spreadsheet together, right?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

what even is all that stuff? is it from their store that only lets you buy 1 item at a time with full S&H?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

WarpDogs posted:

what even is all that stuff? is it from their store that only lets you buy 1 item at a time with full S&H?

Good point. You are probably looking at $300 shipping and handling charges.

What a farce.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Amazing Zimmo posted:

also no RSI.
:ohdear:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Amazing Zimmo posted:

also no RSI.

I imagine thousands are tearing up their tickets now since there is no use in going.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Don't worry, commandos can go and sit in the cafeteria which is a good representation of what progress is being made.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is the equivalent of discovering that Excel has a "SUM" function when you've spent years manually adding cells in your spreadsheet together, right?

More like going sum(1,2,3) instead of sum(a1:a3) where 1 2 and 3 were copy pasted from the cells A1, A2, A3 and then changing one of the values in the one of cells and having to copy paste the value's in again, oh but now you're using the value for A1 in 10 different sums and you forgot to copy paste the new value into one of those sums and now that sum is broken and incorrect, but you can't figure out why because your excel sheet is a jumbled mess of hard coded, copy pasted numbers instead of a nice clean cell references.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Don't worry, commandos can go and sit in the cafeteria which is a good representation of what progress is being made.

On a scale of 1 - 10. How much fidelity?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Amazing Zimmo posted:

So it takes 10 minutes to find a seat?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Virtual Captain posted:

10 but only if someone clips through a table.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

So it takes 10 minutes to find a seat?

Seat finding function has been delayed until 4.0

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Also Amazon isn't showing up, I would of thought that they would want to peddle Lumberyard but I guess not.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
guess my SandE3 jokes will have to wait yet another year

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SC_Facts/status/870375851245715456

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I have read that sentence (?) like 6 or 7 times and now I'm worried I've been activated

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Sounds like a dig at CRoberts managing style.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Truly an example of fiction.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't see people talking about this little piece of ATV that absolutely could be the most important aspect of item 2.0 and more importantly, the future of Star Citizen. Forgive my formatting, I'm on mobile...

Check out the video from 20:15 - 23:05. Here, we learn the development strategy CIG is using to rework the Item 2.0 system. This strategy is considered "Best Practice" in the industry, as large companies begin to lose control and maintainability in their systems. Large applications or businesses made up of many different large applications lose the ability to create new functionality and maintain the code they have if everytime they need a task done, they write new code to do it. This sounds like the method taken in the original item system that has been a nightmare to maintain and increased time on creating new mechanics.

Breaking code out into reusable components is the way of the future... this code is then never copy pasted into new code blocks, but rather is referenced by the code that needs it. What that means, is when you go to implement a functionality in 1 ship, it carries over the existing, WORKING, logic to handle that action. If a change is needed to that functionality as a whole, it's 1 code change in 1 place for potentially DOZENS of use cases across all ships, stations, buildings, etc.

What we see here is not just an optimization for the 3.0 release, but an investment in the games future and maintainability. These kinds of development strategies mean we can see new content created faster, and existing content balanced, with fewer bugs.

That's not what they meant. They're targeting microservice architecture which makes each component of an application 100% independent so that there isn't conflicts.

What you are referencing is the node.js approach where you "never rewrite code ever" and modularize common code to import.

This is worse than monolithic architecture as it creates dependency hell on a scale you can't even begin to fathom and useless outside of front end web dev.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Amazing Zimmo posted:

also no RSI.

Unless someone else paid for the booth or they're piggybacking on another booth.

But you're probably right. I'd be surprised to see them at any convention outside of maybe gamescon.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Virtual Captain posted:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"For the past 400 years..."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I insist every CEO have expertise in 30 different field of science and engineering

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They would deserve 30 different salaries to that way obviously

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Sounds like a dig at CRoberts managing style.

depends on if this anvil company ever actually produced a ship

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Snazzy Frocks posted:

depends on if this anvil company ever actually produced a ship

The sickening truth of the Anvil corporation is no one has a loving clue how many chairs should be in their ships.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

starkebn posted:

They would deserve 30 different salaries to that way obviously

Don't CEOs already get 30x the average salary of their employees?

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

Lol he could have just said he really really loves his wife, but no... he said star citizen

His wife is that blue haired animu in the background isn't it

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Time for some stories:

So I fired up Bridge Crew for the first time today. After a brief time playing around in the tutorials I decided to launch a single player mission rather than inflict myself on anyone else as a bridge officer. The basic setup for single player is that you are in the captain's chair, and generic AI npc's are sitting at all the other stations. You get the objectives and the big picture and you can touch various buttons on your chair to pull up additional information, and send commands to the npc crew by gesturing at them and picking off a radial menu. You can also take the stations over and do the jobs yourself, but the AI are generally competent. Except for Ensign Rao. gently caress that guy.

Our first mission is some kind of shakedown cruise- it's possible that Starfleet did not trust me to handle their fully armed "Science vessel" after some incidents during simulation. Apparently you shouldn't tell your instructor "Today is a good day to die!" the second he hands you control of the helm. So we're out doing the usual star trek poo poo- scanning a bunch of hosed-up cargo ships that all seem to have flown into a space minefield(!) somehow. Let's talk about space-mines for a minute. Shouldn't these be really easy to avoid? Like, in a normal minefield, you've got to walk across the flat surface that they are presumable buried under. But in space you can just fly around them. Well, you could. Ensign Rao apparently came from the Khan school of piloting, the one where they don't teach you about the third goddamn dimension. Also for some reason he had a disturbing tendency to read the "Engage target" order as "Fly directly at the target and rub it on your cheeks like a downy bunny."

So this predictably leads to several moments of panic as I, Engineering, and Tactical are all scrambling to make up for Helm's incompetence. I boost phaser range up past 20km and order tactical to begin sniping the mines out of the sky long before Ensign Rao can give them a hug. Crisis passed, we come to our first downed cruiser. Something something radiation, something something quantum neutrinos, beam us off the ship, I'm not really listening... wait, did they say scuttle? I get to blow up a friendly ship, on my first day in starfleet! They'll even thank me for it! I order tactical to begin beaming everyone aboard and begin counting down the seconds until I can issue that sweet sweet fire order. Finally, the moment arrives.

Three problems with that, as it turns out. First of all, Ensign Rao has not given up on his commitment to personally inspecting the loving grundle of every goddamn space object that I target, and while we've been beaming people aboard, he has crept within 5 km of this ship. Second, ships tend to make... really big explosions when you blow them up. Safe range for this thing is like 25km. I'm not a nuclear physicist but I'm pretty sure that's a whole loving lot of megatons, especially in space where there's basically nothing to transmit the energy. Third, that whole thing with beaming people aboard? Apparently it requires lowering the shields. Tactical didn't deem that important information, I guess. They also didn't feel like raising them was a high priority afterwards.

So this thing goes up like someone left the gas on over the weekend in grandma's apartment while we're right up its rear end in a top hat with absolutely no shields. The entire bridge kicks like Ensign Rao finally got that close encounter he keeps aiming for, and suddenly half of my bridge is on fire and the other half is eyeing the escape pods. Somehow, miraculously, the ship holds together. I shove Engineering out of the way and take over the repair crews- 26% hull and virtually every system is crippled. But whatever! It's my first day on the job, I'm sure every captain comes back from his shakedown cruise with just a little more than one quarter of his ship still displaying the original paint. I give all of my crewmen the stink eye and explain that nobody is ever going to mention this. Nobody. Also, I resolve that Ensign Rao is going to have an unfortunate airlock accident the second we get off duty.

Damage contained, for the most part, I sit back down in the captain's chair. Looks like there's one more ship they want me to go inspect before I get back to base. Okay, fine, how bad can it-

It's last reported position was just across the border in the Neutral Zone.

Ship name: The Kobayashi Maru.

Oh, just gently caress me then. Ensign Rao, go prepare a second seat in that airlock. I think my tour's ending here.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for some stories:

So I fired up Bridge Crew for the first time today. After a brief time playing around in the tutorials I decided to launch a single player mission rather than inflict myself on anyone else as a bridge officer. The basic setup for single player is that you are in the captain's chair, and generic AI npc's are sitting at all the other stations. You get the objectives and the big picture and you can touch various buttons on your chair to pull up additional information, and send commands to the npc crew by gesturing at them and picking off a radial menu. You can also take the stations over and do the jobs yourself, but the AI are generally competent. Except for Ensign Rao. gently caress that guy.

Our first mission is some kind of shakedown cruise- it's possible that Starfleet did not trust me to handle their fully armed "Science vessel" after some incidents during simulation. Apparently you shouldn't tell your instructor "Today is a good day to die!" the second he hands you control of the helm. So we're out doing the usual star trek poo poo- scanning a bunch of hosed-up cargo ships that all seem to have flown into a space minefield(!) somehow. Let's talk about space-mines for a minute. Shouldn't these be really easy to avoid? Like, in a normal minefield, you've got to walk across the flat surface that they are presumable buried under. But in space you can just fly around them. Well, you could. Ensign Rao apparently came from the Khan school of piloting, the one where they don't teach you about the third goddamn dimension. Also for some reason he had a disturbing tendency to read the "Engage target" order as "Fly directly at the target and rub it on your cheeks like a downy bunny."

So this predictably leads to several moments of panic as I, Engineering, and Tactical are all scrambling to make up for Helm's incompetence. I boost phaser range up past 20km and order tactical to begin sniping the mines out of the sky long before Ensign Rao can give them a hug. Crisis passed, we come to our first downed cruiser. Something something radiation, something something quantum neutrinos, beam us off the ship, I'm not really listening... wait, did they say scuttle? I get to blow up a friendly ship, on my first day in starfleet! They'll even thank me for it! I order tactical to begin beaming everyone aboard and begin counting down the seconds until I can issue that sweet sweet fire order. Finally, the moment arrives.

Three problems with that, as it turns out. First of all, Ensign Rao has not given up on his commitment to personally inspecting the loving grundle of every goddamn space object that I target, and while we've been beaming people aboard, he has crept within 5 km of this ship. Second, ships tend to make... really big explosions when you blow them up. Safe range for this thing is like 25km. I'm not a nuclear physicist but I'm pretty sure that's a whole loving lot of megatons, especially in space where there's basically nothing to transmit the energy. Third, that whole thing with beaming people aboard? Apparently it requires lowering the shields. Tactical didn't deem that important information, I guess. They also didn't feel like raising them was a high priority afterwards.

So this thing goes up like someone left the gas on over the weekend in grandma's apartment while we're right up its rear end in a top hat with absolutely no shields. The entire bridge kicks like Ensign Rao finally got that close encounter he keeps aiming for, and suddenly half of my bridge is on fire and the other half is eyeing the escape pods. Somehow, miraculously, the ship holds together. I shove Engineering out of the way and take over the repair crews- 26% hull and virtually every system is crippled. But whatever! It's my first day on the job, I'm sure every captain comes back from his shakedown cruise with just a little more than one quarter of his ship still displaying the original paint. I give all of my crewmen the stink eye and explain that nobody is ever going to mention this. Nobody. Also, I resolve that Ensign Rao is going to have an unfortunate airlock accident the second we get off duty.

Damage contained, for the most part, I sit back down in the captain's chair. Looks like there's one more ship they want me to go inspect before I get back to base. Okay, fine, how bad can it-

Oh, just gently caress me then. Ensign Rao, go prepare a second seat in that airlock. I think my tour's ending here.

and that's the day you became 4narchistX.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Krycek posted:

Don't CEOs already get 30x the average salary of their employees?

70 times with the highest paid averaging 300 times or more. That's before stocks. http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/ceo-pay

quote:

The average CEO-to-worker pay ratio for the 168 companies included in this report stands at about about 70-to-1, with some CEOs making more than 300 times the median salary of their employees – just in cash (base pay, bonuses, profit sharing, etc.). Many CEOs receive substantial stock/option grants and perks as part of their compensation, which can more than quadruple their total annual pay. But similar data for employees by company is not readily available, so we looked solely at cash compensation for both CEOs and workers to calculate ratios for this report.

Larry Merlo, the CEO of CVS Health Corp, made roughly 434 times the salary of the median CVS employee in 2015, the largest ratio between CEO and employee pay at any company on this list.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 3, 2017

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for some stories:

I would just like to take this tine to thank you for one hell of a laugh. Totally worth it.

Mandroid Candycorn
Jun 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life posted:

He has a heroic rapsheet at least.
That's nothing.

Mandroid Candycorn
Jun 2, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Not sure how I feel about an Idris now being worth 200 of these bad boys (up from 125 two years ago).

E:

do you guys think divinity taken human form actually poops?

Mandroid Candycorn fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mandroid Candycorn posted:

Not sure how I feel about an Idris now being worth 200 of these bad boys (up from 125 two years ago).

Ten bucks for a digital outback dunny? Tell him he's dreamin'.