Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

Or they are overly concerned about in game voice being overheard?

Not if you put your voice setting to team only in the options. It takes more effort to load up discord while in a game than to hit esc and change the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Goddamn Hippy posted:

Not if you put your voice setting to team only in the options. It takes more effort to load up discord while in a game than to hit esc and change the setting.

This just affects which voices you hear, not who hears your own voice.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bardeh posted:

Why? Fairer games are better all around, and mean that people get the chance to improve gradually instead of getting crushed by people way beyond their skill level constantly.

This isn't a competitive game, and the entire point of it is that it's unfair. There is zero reason for matchmaking to exist. It just removes most of the incentive to improve since the average player will never get good enough to see a benefit from it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I'm in the same warehouse, in full sight of a guy who I just saw pick up an AR and I don't even have a melee weapon yet - am I gonna hope and pray the level 3 vest is gonna tank all his bullets and then superman punch him to death? I ran, and 95% of the time when someone is that close, they have blown me away. I can't throw AR suppressors at people if I don't have an AR to put it on. And what am I gonna do with an 8x scope in the apartments when I have a shotgun and there are multiple people around? Hell yeah it's spiteful. :coal:

But this is retarded spiteful, not smart spiteful. You're straight up loving yourself over by ditching the 8x behind a door. Instead of doing that, why not grab it and run, so you can actually use it later on when you find a proper gun? Leaving it behind a door and having to go back to that apartment to get it is silly. I've also outran people real close with AR's, most people suck dick at aiming especially if you hit em with the tried and tested serpentine maneuver.

WirelessPillow posted:

Or they are overly concerned about in game voice being overheard?

This and the fact that I really find the ingame voice chat a little janky. It's on push to talk, but it takes a few seconds for the thing to actually activate after pushing it.

K8.0 posted:

This isn't a competitive game, and the entire point of it is that it's unfair. There is zero reason for matchmaking to exist. It just removes most of the incentive to improve since the average player will never get good enough to see a benefit from it.

Watertight logic. Games like Rocket League have matchmaking, where you're pitted against players of your own skill. The part where you talk about how you wouldn't get good enough to see a benefit from it is plain garbage. You're matched against players of your own skill, over time, you become better than them and progress to the next bracket. Uh oh, these guys are tough, I better learn from my mistakes and get better. Before you know it, you're up 4 ranks and you can definitely see the progress you made.

Games that throw you in with anyone are the worst, because being curbstomped again and again doesn't give you a very helpful way of improving, it just frustrates you and makes you not wanna play. It's hard to see where you've gone wrong when you're absolutely obliterated by a dude with 300 hours, it's much easier to see where you've gone wrong when you're killed by a guy who's just a tad bit better than you are. Rocket League is a great example cause I progressed from never using aerial tactics, to being pitted against people who used aerial shots regularly (albeit badly). This forced me to up my game and learn that mechanic, as it was leaving me sitting under the ball waiting for it to drop whilst they were able to take shots. That was progress I could see when I looked back.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 3, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Why? Fairer games are better all around, and mean that people get the chance to improve gradually instead of getting crushed by people way beyond their skill level constantly.

Since the reset, of the games I played yesterday we got #2 4 times, #3 once. When you're not bogged down with 20/30 matches of not knowing what the gently caress to do the rating makes every match is a giant knock down drag out brawl.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Loopoo posted:

I really don't know why Bluehole just doesn't add a regular old Kill / Assist / Death counter, instead of just Kill count. I really hate when people brag about their kills "hur hur I have 49 kills since reset" and I'm sitting there with less, yet I know I've downed tonnes of dudes.

Even then, this is a game where those kind of stats might not matter as much as say, Counterstrike or something. I'm clearly the weakest link on my squad in terms of combat, but one of our wins since the reset had our top guy go down in a very early fight. The other two guys with me are also good, but not the mutant our main guy is, and maybe not the best with game sense. The main guy and myself are Duo partners as well and have a ton of games together, so I just stepped up and started calling the shots. Where and when to move, where to stop and hide, stuff like that. At the end of the game I correctly guessed that the circle was going to drop on the bridges near Watertown, and we had already moved there and set up a defensive perimeter. They wasted a squad trying to cross the river, we moved up and I spotted guys above us and called out for an aggressive play on them that my guys won, then I just hill peaked and made callouts that led to the last two squads fighting each other and my guys mopping them up for the win.

I had 0 kills at the end and I don't think I even fired a shot in the last 5 minutes but everyone was giving me the attaboys for my game sense, and it was probably more satisfying than getting kills considering the other two had like 15 kills between them. Situational awareness is king in PUBG.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Loopoo posted:

You're straight up loving yourself over by ditching the 8x behind a door. Instead of doing that, why not grab it and run, so you can actually use it later on when you find a proper gun? Leaving it behind a door and having to go back to that apartment to get it is silly.

It was the first thing I found when I entered the apartment building as a fresh spawn. I hid it, then worked my way up the building until I was geared enough to stand a chance in a firefight, then picked it up on my way back down and out. Using the 8x in the apartment building would have been a liability.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys I hate to break this to you but unless you actually know the goons you're playing with just jumping into the goon discord is seriously just one step removed from playing with randoms. Find the guys you enjoy playing with, people who share your own mindset about how casual\serious the gameplay should be and who care\don't-care about kill stealing and other poo poo like that and just play with them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've had mostly good experiences with playing with goons tbh.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Guys I hate to break this to you but unless you actually know the goons you're playing with just jumping into the goon discord is seriously just one step removed from playing with randoms

You know except for the infinitely better coordination and not having to use in-game chat to talk to your teammate? I legit think that I've had maybe two random pubbies out of dozens that didn't just drop wherever they wanted and didn't immediately die because of it. Only one survived longer than the rest of my group - some guy with a Russian accent who got like 10 kills and got us into the top ten.

Playing with goons is good and everyone should do it.

Senor Candle posted:

I've had mostly good experiences with playing with goons tbh.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Goons generally know more than pubbies and are more open to discussion on the game than randoms.

Feel free to quote this and joke about it also

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, that came off a bit harsh. I meant that until you have regular buddies\goons you play with nobody is going to care about your kdr or about letting you off the guys you knocked out or whatever.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

Playing with goons is good and everyone should do it.
Note: does not apply to playing with me, who you learned can go 8 or 9 squad matches without killing a soul

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Feels good man: getting ambushed by a slug in a bush and still killing him.

Feels bad man: laying a first aid trap, having someone take it, and still getting shot.

What a roller coaster this game is.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I would never stop making fun of a friend if he told me he dropped an 8x or lvl 3 vest because he thought he might die. There really aren't many situations where you can't ditch someone in a city or beat them to a gun spawn and have a fair fight. That is some scrubbbb play. Can you imagine chasing someone and having all this amazing gear start dropping like a diablo 3 loot goblin

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is really good now that it doesn't crash every 10 minutes. You guys have a discord or something I assume

You do

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Completely disagree with the people saying goons are the same as pubbies.

Just had some great games with goons including my first squad win.

Really strange, we dropped on school and there were no other squads, then we moved to apartments and again looted it with impunity. Silencers all round and fairly decent gear, then the circle for once fairly favoured us. A little hairy at the end but I believe we all survived with just one knocked down.

I was eD--De by the way, salute to my 3 teammates.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Agoat posted:

Goons generally know more than pubbies and are more open to discussion on the game than randoms.

Feel free to quote this and joke about it also

I started playing with the discord about a week ago and got 3 chicken dinners and 1 2nd place.

And I was drunk and useless for half of those games.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Loopoo posted:

Is this purely to inconvenience your enemy and make it more annoying for them to pick the stuff up? Couldn't they just keep their inventory open and pick it up all pretty easily?

inconvenience plus also its harder to find if you manage to crawl a good distance and drop poo poo all over the place

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

.Z. posted:

I think part of the problem is that our discord channel has restricted channels for high skill goons. It's hard to not care about your KDR if it's actively being used to judge you.

I too feel actively judged by by not being allowed in to the COOL GREENTEXT CLIQUE on discord *furiously types !stats in to my chat bar and cries as I press enter* maybe my application will be accepted next year

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a lot of fun playing with fellow goons on the Discord last night. Lot of fun and occasionally really dumb moments.

I have also discovered that apparently I am statistically the worst player on the Discord by a significant margin. Nice.

Hopefully people weren't too bothered dealing with my terribleness.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

8====>

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 13, 2017

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

GOD IS BED posted:

anyone else have this problem or is my tv being fucky?

If you have a Samsung tv, the same thing happened to me after a crash. I fixed it by going into windows and setting the refresh rate to 59.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Roland Jones posted:

I had a lot of fun playing with fellow goons on the Discord last night. Lot of fun and occasionally really dumb moments.

I have also discovered that apparently I am statistically the worst player on the Discord by a significant margin. Nice.

You should secure knockdown kills more :D

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Roland Jones posted:

And badsquad just chicken dinnered with everyone alive. Playing with goons > pubs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
have tried to launch twice, both times as I was about to hit the ground my game crashed for an out of memory error. I think I need to set my graphic settings to potato.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ashrik posted:

And badsquad just chicken dinnered with everyone alive. Playing with goons > pubs.

That was a fun one, yeah. My first win, which is nice even if my biggest contribution was contributing all the sniper mods I found (cheek pad, silencer, and magazine) to make someone else the ultimate sniper. And later shooting him a bit because we entered a building from opposite sides, I found his open door, then he came around a corner and surprised me. (It was fine though, I gave him a Red Bull.)

Also, from a couple games before that, fun/stupid screenshot:

I actually survived this (turns out there was space to pass by underwater), as part of an increasingly-dangerous near-death experiences. Sadly died not too long after that, but from an unrelated cause.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 3, 2017

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
How long can other players hear you after you die?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Roumba posted:

How long can other players hear you after you die?

As long as you stay on your body and don't go to spectator. We killed a dude who wouldn't shut the gently caress up for 5 minutes straight as we were stuck in a besieged house. He kept singing songs about macaroni and swearing at us in Spanish.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I'm not sure if the updates have made this obsolete but many people were benefiting from these optimization settings: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

I'm not sure if the updates have made this obsolete but many people were benefiting from these optimization settings: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

Someone on Reddit mentioned that there's no point using the -sm4 launch option after the latest patch. I decided to try it, and maybe it's placebo, or maybe there was a server-side fix, but the game not only looks better, but my framerate seems much smoother. Have not been getting microstuttering like I did before.

Also, just had an amazing round where I pulled off this slick move:
https://streamable.com/jxnd6

(I actually didn't have to go back for it, because I found another on the roof)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't get it. Why would you do that?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just had a game where I got to 16 before being run over by a vehicle. My aim sucks for killing people in vehicles...

My one and only kill came in the first minutes of the game where I hit a guy twice with a shotgun from about 100 feet away, then switched to my pistol while he stood there and finished him off.

Turns out he had a crossbow on him and nothing else. I assume he was trying to line up a shot, or missed me with a shot and was reloaded when I finished him off.

I really can't wait for the replay functionality to be released. So many deaths to learn from in this game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The only time I'd drop loot is if I'm downed and nobody is rescuing me, in which case I'll spread my gear out in the grass out of spite.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If I get downed by the edge of the circle, or even outside of it with no chance of being revived I'll crawl further in to it to prevent them from getting my meds.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't get it. Why would you do that?

To trigger goons.

EDIT: OK, a bonus one: https://streamable.com/mqp0i

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 3, 2017

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
If I get downed I scream as long and hard as I can over the mic in an attempt to hurt their ears thus making them easier prey in a possible future round.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

To trigger goons.

EDIT: OK, a bonus one: https://streamable.com/mqp0i

Wow, you sure showed us!!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slumpy posted:

If I get downed I scream as long and hard as I can over the mic in an attempt to hurt their ears thus making them easier prey in a possible future round.

Don't your parents get mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

https://youtu.be/Cc38ECLvttc

• Locked thread