Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I named him Joker Phantom.
Oh, I had it all wrong. They're not "Phantom thieves" because they're like ghosts. It's a "Kelly gang" situation where they're named after their leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Using your actual name is a terrible idea

But my Immersion?!

I have a default name I use for nameable MCs but I tend not change party member names even if available.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I finally beat Persona 5. Great game, would give it a “needs a better mid-game”/10

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hari Poteru, head of the notorious gang of thieves The Wu-Tang

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Here's something I wish someone told me:

Hanged Man gives you 2 proficiency a rank
Sun gives you 3 charm a rank
Devil gives you 3 charm a rank (sometimes?)
Tower gives you 3 kindness a rank, and unlocks around the time you're about to get Futaba (4 kindness)

I was neglecting starting Hanged Man because I didn't want to waste time on guts to start him meanwhile I was making tools to raise proficiency on nights he was available

That said I really messed up with the stat totals. Like with Makoto I got her to 5 immediately and here I am in December without 5 charm and it's too late to max her - the only members I maxed are Futaba, Ryuji, and I think I'll be able to max Yusuke maaaybe Haru (Ann was easy to max but lol, Ann)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Here's something I wish someone told me:

Hanged Man gives you 2 proficiency a rank
Sun gives you 3 charm a rank
Devil gives you 3 charm a rank (sometimes?)
Tower gives you 3 kindness a rank, and unlocks around the time you're about to get Futaba (4 kindness)

I was neglecting starting Hanged Man because I didn't want to waste time on guts to start him meanwhile I was making tools to raise proficiency on nights he was available

That said I really messed up with the stat totals. Like with Makoto I got her to 5 immediately and here I am in December without 5 charm and it's too late to max her - the only members I maxed are Futaba, Ryuji, and I think I'll be able to max Yusuke maaaybe Haru (Ann was easy to max but lol, Ann)

I'm gonna quote this for later

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So who's the better navigator, Rise or Futaba?

Rise's SP recovery is stronger, she can see all elemental affinities, and her general dungeon navigation is way better, since you can see enemies and chests. On the other hand, Futaba's random buffs are really good and she's better for skipping floors, generating more money, or turning battles back in your favour.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Position Hack is the sickest thing a navigator has ever done for the team in any Persona game.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the One True Name for this one

E: What're people doing for their names in general? I used my first name but the game's about the adventures of Potter-kun right now

Kiriyama Renn, aka Shotaro from Kamen Rider W. He's no nasty crimeboy, but I thought it was a good enough name :v:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rise's SP recovery is stronger, she can see all elemental affinities, and her general dungeon navigation is way better, since you can see enemies and chests. On the other hand, Futaba's random buffs are really good and she's better for skipping floors, generating more money, or turning battles back in your favour.

It's Futaba because she is infinitely more enjoyable than Rise.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plus it easier to get Futaba's 250 line trophy over Rise. Still not got the later... :smith:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Damnit. I didn't realize until June-ish that you could buy plant seeds that gave three kindness instead of 2, so I'm probably a few points off Kindness 4 and starting Futuba's link when I should. I thought it was lagging behind all the other skills, too. Worst thing is I'm about to do the Hawaii trip, and the Max Confidants guide has me thinking that I'm not gonna have a lot of free time to grind Kindness for a while since it'll be straight into a period of "don't get poo poo done because Plot."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rise has better recovery skills and better analysis, since they gave that part of the skillset to Makoto instead of Futaba.

In terms of tactical value? Futaba is so far beyond it isn't even a contest. She can give the entire party a Concentrate/Charge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Rise has better recovery skills and better analysis, since they gave that part of the skillset to Makoto instead of Futaba.

In terms of tactical value? Futaba is so far beyond it isn't even a contest. She can give the entire party a Concentrate/Charge.

I think Rise can do something similar in Golden? Or maybe i'm getting that confused with one of other new abilities she gets.

GimmickMan posted:

Position Hack is the sickest thing a navigator has ever done for the team in any Persona game.

This is what decides the answer though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Position hack (which almost always activated on ambushes for me), ultra charge, and having a cooler looking pair of personas all put Futaba as best navigator.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe? I never played Golden. It's funny, despite playing and loving every game, the series makes enough strides in each entry that I'd find it genuinely difficult to go back.

(I also abused the hell out of Treasure Skimmer and Final Guard once I maxed Futaba's Confidant rank.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Futaba isn't as painful to listen to so she wins.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Maybe? I never played Golden. It's funny, despite playing and loving every game, the series makes enough strides in each entry that I'd find it genuinely difficult to go back.

(I also abused the hell out of Treasure Skimmer and Final Guard once I maxed Futaba's Confidant rank.)

I recc'd P4:G if you own a PS TV. It's only approx 4-5 yrs old so it's not like original P3 and it's awesome tartar tower grind.

Len posted:

Futaba isn't as painful to listen to so she wins.

Agreed, Rise's JPN VA hurts my mind along with Teddy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
what situation are you in where you're listening to persona 4's japanese voices tho for it to matter? iirc there's no version of persona 4 where you can even have the japanese voices and laura bailey owns

futaba can position hack and give you mind charge/concentrate but rise is best girl of her game so she wins in all circumstances

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Rise also has the combined party-wide Mind/Power Charge in Golden. No Position Hack or Dragon Hustle though. Also she can cast an Amrita/Mediarama combo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh right, then Rise def wins. Position Hack was never more than a time saver for me, but it was still nice. Rise's Persona design was also probably the best in 4 imo. A beautiful big princess woman with a giant satellite dish face/huge gently caress off telescope face that lowers a visor over Rise's face.

e: I can't remember, did getting Rise stop Teddie's Learn More About This Person missions so you could unlock dungeons or did you still have to do that for Mitsuo and Naoto? Cause if so, hell yeah.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How long is Kawakami's "break" around rank 8 supposed to last? I was gunning to max out her social link as quickly as possible since it seems like her max s. link ability is the most useful in the game so I am a bit annoyed if the game is artificially stretching it out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moltrey posted:

what situation are you in where you're listening to persona 4's japanese voices tho for it to matter? iirc there's no version of persona 4 where you can even have the japanese voices and laura bailey owns

futaba can position hack and give you mind charge/concentrate but rise is best girl of her game so she wins in all circumstances

True fans will find a way to listen to the glorious original voices because they sound better and have more enthusiasm despite sound like noises to us untrained bakagaijin

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Position hack actually saved me a couple of times when I got surrounded by enemies because I messed up, but also Hermit links are much cooler than Lovers links sooo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Item Getter posted:

How long is Kawakami's "break" around rank 8 supposed to last? I was gunning to max out her social link as quickly as possible since it seems like her max s. link ability is the most useful in the game so I am a bit annoyed if the game is artificially stretching it out

Kawakami is unavailable during summer vacation because her events all take place at school.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

the anime
undub'd ps2 or vita versions (cfw'd/romhacked)
the fighting game maybe, i haven't played it but it's proabably got undub patched too if you want it that way
the dancing game is probably undub'd too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The anime has a dub. Golden doesn't have one but lmao.
Both fighting games and Dancing All Night are completely dubbed.

I'm just saying that saying Rise's JPN voice being bad makes her a worse character than another is a silly argument because there is no circumstance at all where you'd need to listen to it.

Unless you did mod your copy of Golden to put the Japanese voices in and are then mad about how buckwild her voice is but at that point ???

it doesn't fit the character as well imo, but lmao if you don't like Rie Kugimiya just going completely Abrasive Idol 24/7

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 3, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i have no horse in the race

i'm just saying it's not hard to get your hands on Japanese Personal Owner 4

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Moltrey posted:

rise is best girl of her game

Persona 5 sort of raised the bar on that. Rise is competing with women who have endearing traits like "bad at cooking" and "likes eating red meat".

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

The anime has a dub. Golden doesn't have one but lmao.
Both fighting games and Dancing All Night are completely dubbed.

I'm just saying that saying Rise's JPN voice being bad makes her a worse character than another is a silly argument because there is no circumstance at all where you'd need to listen to it.

Unless you did mod your copy of Golden to put the Japanese voices in and are then mad about how buckwild her voice is but at that point ???

it doesn't fit the character as well imo, but lmao if you don't like Rie Kugimiya just going completely Abrasive Idol 24/7

No, it's worse because I liked Rie Kugimiya's VA on her other roles in anime/games :smith:

I've played the undub P4:G/DAN because the power of CFW and boredom. It made the game more interesting for the 6th PT but I did not realize how annoying Teddy and Rise could be in their original voices.

btw: I don't understand the Chie fans? She's not super original and her SL goes nowhere fast. Then again, I'm a diehard Naoto fan so I am very biased.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Palace 7:

I don't get why everyone was so forgiving of Goro. Like, even until the end he was confessing new crimes of how he functionally lobotomized folks for fame.

Where was the 'Good riddance' option?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alder posted:

No, it's worse because I liked Rie Kugimiya's VA on her other roles in anime/games :smith:

I've played the undub P4:G/DAN because the power of CFW and boredom. It made the game more interesting for the 6th PT but I did not realize how annoying Teddy and Rise could be in their original voices.

btw: I don't understand the Chie fans? She's not super original and her SL goes nowhere fast. Then again, I'm a diehard Naoto fan so I am very biased.

Um Beef Waifu has galactic punt? Therefore is the best Waifu.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ApplesandOranges posted:

It depends on how often you like hearing the word senpai

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Clawtopsy posted:

Palace 7:

I don't get why everyone was so forgiving of Goro. Like, even until the end he was confessing new crimes of how he functionally lobotomized folks for fame.

Most of the party could see themselves becoming that way if they met literally no good influences in their life, or if not, they could at least relate their life experiences to Goro's. And also they chumped him so god drat hard in battle that even the ones with Goro-murdered parents could muster some pity

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Obviously Fuuka

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cospla is selling replica school bag: http://personacentral.com/shujin-academy-high-school-bag-replica-announced/

Cat not included.They also sell replica uniforms, shirts, and Joker's glasses :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Clawtopsy posted:

Palace 7:

They explicitly were not forgiving. They were understanding of his position and were willing to let him come along for the sake of his revenge, but they didn't forgive him.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Alder posted:

Cospla is selling replica school bag: http://personacentral.com/shujin-academy-high-school-bag-replica-announced/

Cat not included.They also sell replica uniforms, shirts, and Joker's glasses :v:

Not cat no sale :colbert:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Instant Grat posted:

Rise also has the combined party-wide Mind/Power Charge in Golden. No Position Hack or Dragon Hustle though. Also she can cast an Amrita/Mediarama combo.

Rise could also resurrect the MC once per battle in P4G. Also she had her own all-out attack that did more damage than the regular one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Chie starts out SO strongly cause she kicks a dude in the dick for breaking her Bruce Lee DVD and forces him to buy her food and then, much like her usefulness in battle, hits a brick wall and just stops being anything.

I think the idea of Chie and Yukikio's relationship that became posioned with them using each other to hide their own insecurities is super super interesting but nothing is done with it.

Choosing Rise to date was a complete no-brainer.

DalaranJ posted:

Persona 5 sort of raised the bar on that. Rise is competing with women who have endearing traits like "bad at cooking" and "likes eating red meat".
P5 ascended the quality of people you could date so wildly, that they had to prevent you from dating Yusuke or Goro so our heads didn't explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AG3 posted:

Rise could also resurrect the MC once per battle in P4G. Also she had her own all-out attack that did more damage than the regular one.

I think Futaba gets that first bonus too?