Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

You have to admit, that would have been a pretty phenomenal tie-in/reveal.

DIANA! *circle button prompt magically appears over Wonder Woman's head*

To this music. They used the same techno from BvS in this. :cry:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSQbgJvTcU

Wonder Women even copied the Rage of Sparta.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was happy to forgive Zeus and Ares being given a god-and-the-devil bent to make it more approachable, given that they had the guts to make them actual gods, be responsible for the creation of mankind, etc., as compared to Thor's cop out with the Norse gods just being super-science aliens. I wonder if confirmed-Christian Superman is going to have any questions about that when he inevitably returns from the dead.

Same, but I wish each god's skillset had been more thematically distinct OR that counter to all expectations, tweedy mustachioed Ares was a flimsy elusive wizardy guy the entire way through and Diana's challenge was to pin him down and finish him off rather than slug it out with a similarly super-potent brawler.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So was she on vacation during ww2?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
From the story of the movie it almost seemed like she helped out the germans with WW2.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I really liked the movie, but I really didn't like that it did not use the clay origin. Literally nothing would have been lost if the movie stuck with the "Zeus breathed life into clay baby Diana" story. Would the general public really be that turned off if the most well-known female superhero had some similarities with Adam and Eve, who are pretty well-known themselves?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Equeen posted:

I really liked the movie, but I really didn't like that it did not use the clay origin. Literally nothing would have been lost if the movie stuck with the "Zeus breathed life into clay baby Diana" story. Would the general public really be that turned off if the most well-known female superhero had some similarities with Adam and Eve, who are pretty well-known themselves?

They did use it, though?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

hiddenriverninja posted:

They did use it, though?

They didn't use that, right off the bat they were saying she can never know the real truth of what she is. We then find out towards the end of the film. She's the daughter of Zeus and the Amazon leader. Personally I don't mind either way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
^It's...vague. Ares calls her the daughter (child? I don't remember which) of Zeus and Hippolyta, and Diana calls him "brother" at the end. But it's not mentioned whether that just figuratively means Zeus and Hippolyta created her together by her making the clay and him bringing it to life, or that they literally had sex and Hippolyta gave literal birth to her.

The "real truth" of what Diana is could merely be referring to her status as Godkiller, not necessarily the manner in which she came to be

Neo Rasa posted:

This is what they are in the comics.
Not really. In the Thor comics the gods have actual magic and divinity in ways that are not comparable to "super-advanced alien science," and any notions of them being just another powerful alien race in the universe are very downplayed.

It's similar to how the Doctor Strange movie attempts to depict its magic as some sort of metaphysical new age science, but in the comics, nah, it's just magic. It's magic with demons and spells and pentagrams and the whole nine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Saw this last night. It was all right, but it has absolutely no faith in the viewer to understand anything -- if someone has an ideological position you can be sure that they'll practically look at the camera and explain it to the viewers two or three times, sometimes verbatim, to make sure you get it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wonder Woman is the best super hero movie to date. Loved it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This was way better than I thought it was going to be. Really enjoyed the hell out of it. The ending could have used some work and it could have went a bit more into how bad rear end Dianna is but otherwise it was perfect.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I said come in! posted:

Wonder Woman is the best super hero movie to date. Loved it.

can we slow our rolls with this? Like, movie was real good, definitely better than any of the Marvel origin stories save Iron Man, Cap, and Guardians, but it's not the best one.

I'd say from about The arrival into London until Diana leaves the village full of dead people is pretty perfect, and most of the stuff on Themyscara was very good also, but the ending was lame, and I thought the whole Diana walks in on Steve Trevor while he's naked scene was literally (like traditional definition of the word literal) the most cliched thing they could do. And I could have done with just a touch more of Steve's backstory. You get that he has an issue with his dad (who I assumed was a war hero or something) but he hung his head in shame at his past one too many times to not have it explained beyond "well i did something bad/shameful/lazy/whatever so now I'm trying to repent for that" which feels like it was added in to not make Steve Trevor just Steve Rogers with the edges sanded off.

and i swear to god can we please be done with the whole IT WAS THE POWER OF LOVE THAT GAVE ME THE ABILITY TO KILL THIS GUY thing? They had done 95% of the work getting Diana to a point where she was motivated not by the loss of a loved one, but the sacrifice he made for the greater good, and then just decided to be super fuckin' lazy and say "nah he dead she sad she mad she win". Like I think I could remove about 10 words from the script and make it a million times better. Everyone in this movie had a real problem with just completely word vomiting their motivation (or having someone else do it for them) which I suppose was probably a turnaround from Man of Steel and BvS not doing that and everyone having a big ol' poo poo fit. And if that sounds like it is directly at odds with my complaints about Steve Trevor's Mysterious Dark Past, you're probably right, but I think fixing one of those two problems might make the other seem less prevalent.

I will say that the end where Ares dying makes the war magically end did not come off as poorly as I expected from reading the spoilers before the movie. Taking place about a week from Armistice Day was the right call, but I still definitely have questions about what happened in this world in Germany post-war that still leads to WWII.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DC Murderverse posted:

can we slow our rolls with this? Like, movie was real good, definitely better than any of the Marvel origin stories save Iron Man, Cap, and Guardians, but it's not the best one.

Please, the movie used bullet time so sparingly and perfect it makes the matrix movies look like garbage.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tenzarin posted:

Please, the movie used bullet time so sparingly and perfect it makes the matrix movies look like garbage.

two of them already are, and i guess we're just gonna have to disagree about the other one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I will say that the end where Ares dying makes the war magically end did not come off as poorly as I expected from reading the spoilers before the movie. Taking place about a week from Armistice Day was the right call, but I still definitely have questions about what happened in this world in Germany post-war that still leads to WWII.

Yeah. The plot is that they're trying to stop Ares's pawn from stopping the armistice. The implication, including things like Ares clothing himself in shrapnel, is that he's as much the embodiment of the war as the creator of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'm guessing it's akin to super soldier serum but Doctor Poison doesn't know fully how it works since Ares is the one whispering the recipes and junk. What's the deal with Ares chucking lightning? Something else weird is the timeline. Is Diana actually thousands of years old? Cause if she is Zeus's daughter and Zeus died pretty early on, it only makes sense that she's up there in age.

Well lightning was kind of zeus's thing, so with him dead his kids split the power?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm thinking it was so it wouldn't be compared to Captain America, I could be wrong but that was my guess.

That's probably the real answer, but within the movie it's because that's when planes first started exploring more of the world (or maybe her braceletsplosion weakened the barrier hiding their island? It was unclear

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sucks she forgot she could fly and shoot lightning out of her hands in BvS.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

CONS:

- Hey, we slow danced, I guess that means we fall in love and sleep together

I wouldn't say it started right there. She totes threw down the gauntlet when sharing the conclusions from Cleo's pleasures of the flesh encyclopedia thing.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is Wonder Woman not bullet proof?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Codependent Poster posted:

I believe DC actually had a reason why the superheroes of that era couldn't kill Hitler, and it had to do with him having the Spear of Destiny or some other magical artifact.

Hellboy mentioned him in a throwaway line iirc

Yaws posted:

Oh wow, I guess this means WW will be forgotten the second one leaves the theater.

Honestly, kinda yeah :( it's pretty straightforward. It's not like Chappie where you can discuss it for hours

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yaws posted:

Is Wonder Woman not bullet proof?

It's debatable. It seems her abilities are really linked with her mental / willpower which I think is really interesting. She doesn't really know what she is capable of and doesn't really "try" , but yeah she seems pretty invulnerable.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

got any sevens posted:

Well lightning was kind of zeus's thing, so with him dead his kids split the power?

Was I the only one who noticed that it was her gauntlets that absorbed the lightning from Ares and that's how she was able to shoot it back at him? She doesn't have innate lighting powers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

She's basically learning all the abilities she has during this movie. She absolutely flies at the end in the battle with Ares

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Hollismason posted:

It's debatable. It seems her abilities are really linked with her mental / willpower which I think is really interesting. She doesn't really know what she is capable of and doesn't really "try" , but yeah she seems pretty invulnerable.

Every time I've seen her in stuff, she used those bracers to deflect bullets and other small projectiles. She could probably take a few slugs better than your above average human, but isn't impervious by any stretch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tenzarin posted:

Sucks she forgot she could fly and shoot lightning out of her hands in BvS.

Using lightning on Doomsday would not have ended well for anybody. The approach she took in that fight was the right one, it just had... ...bad results.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

Every time I've seen her in stuff, she used those bracers to deflect bullets and other small projectiles. She could probably take a few slugs better than your above average human, but isn't impervious by any stretch.

The bullet in the beginning straight up ricocheted off her and left a scratch that was healed when she got to the healer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It would be amusing if she were 100% bulletproof and didn't even know it and was wasting all this energy dodging and blocking bullets

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 4, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One Piece logic: Even if you're impervious to bullets, that poo poo hurts.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on, she was immune to bullets lol. Basically the entire middle act is nullified because of this fact. Haha man this movie is so bad.

The queen's sister dies for nothing hahahahaha.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

It would be amusing if she were 100% bulletproof and didn't even know it and was wasting all this energy dodging and blocking bullets

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also what is her shield made out of that can take machine gun fire? Knights in armor couldn't even stop crossbows and her shield stops machineguns cause?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So many questions are answered now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Also what is her shield made out of that can take machine gun fire? Knights in armor couldn't even stop crossbows and her shield stops machineguns cause?

It's no different then Captain America's shield.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn't make mention of it earlier but her fights with the lasso were loving gorgeous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

In the comics I think a lot of her equipment was made by Hephaestus and is magical

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought the idea was that her gear wasn't magic, it was Diana herself empowering it with its supernatural qualities.

The lasso being the exception.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tenzarin posted:

Knights in armor were limited by the thickness of metal a human body can support. She's super strong so if she's just lugging around a two inch thick hunk of steel smal arms fire isn't gonna do anything. Also it's probably Magic

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My second screening was ruined by chucklefuckers on either side of me not knowing how to whisper or, you know, not loving talk at all during the movie.

Noticed more of the costuming on the Amazons. Both of Hippolyta's armor sets had the eagle design, one of them using negative space. I thought that was neat.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Hollismason posted:

The bullet in the beginning straight up ricocheted off her and left a scratch that was healed when she got to the healer

I don't recall that. Darn, I guess I'll just have to see it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also in the Paradise Island section You can see women holding hands and such all through out it. Plus you got that one scene where her teacher dies and her partner runs up and falls down crying . So they kind of subtle nudged that in there

• Locked thread