Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hey, y'know what the hobby really needs? Minority groups made into always evil monsters. That never turns out racist, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

JackMann posted:

Hey, y'know what the hobby really needs? Minority groups made into always evil monsters. That never turns out racist, right?

It's a proud tabletop tradition!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeahhh, I avoid buying any board game that has some kind of regressive colonization theme to it or "booga-booga" tribesmen enemies. Those games are usually from European countries who I guess just don't have the cultural awareness to realize that it's pretty offensive.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Stickman posted:

Regardless of which way you fall on the virtues of virginity, that Athena model is hyper-sexualized in exactly the same gross way that 80% of these mini games treat their female characters. It's totally unnecessary and a big black mark against the game for buyers who don't need every female character chained to male sexuality.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lmstudio/sine-tempore/description
8 dudes present: boob plate, the game

quote:

Honestly, it is the style of the game, it has a very Sci-fi /Gothic look which is traditionally Skin-tight and shows of flesh.... actually, none of the characters are wearing what you or I would consider tradtional Cloth.... every one is wearing armor of some sort, Andromeda is an android, so that is not an outfit that is her Skin, Alexandra isnt even human, she is an Alien of some sort and isn't revealing much more than people do in real life.. and the figure is busty.... Molly is in probably Armored Biker type leathers yes a bit more skin tight because it is meant for Stealth and ease of movement, I would have been upset to see her in something more flowing due to her job..... Simona is actually the first one to show A-lot of skin.. but that might be because she is designed to work in another game and this one and might be closer to that style..... and yes Omega looks fully clothed..... but as I said in the beginning, its the Sfi-fi/Gothic/Blade Runner style.. which is a bit more form fitting and a bit more leathery then others... I personally love the style as it makes sense
You don't understand, it's combat lingerie

quote:

I understand what you are saying.. and in some I agree with you... but I dont want them to compromise there vision for the game, because Society has for some inane reason become A-lot more prudish when it comes to skin..... (no not saying you are) and I am not against clothed characters, but remember Art and Miniatures are a very visual medium and Breasts, and contours are a very important to Differentiate Males from Females, which is one of the reason.. most female miniatures tend to be smaller then there counter parts or show of a bit more skin, or are a bit buster then maybe is realistic...
I wouldn't want to compromise their artistic boob vision. Was it unfair to quote the same commenter twice?

quote:

Seriously? Her nipples and butt crack are covered by a dress. I see nothing wrong with any of the female minis in this game. All are covered properly with no nudity.
Oh well it can't be sexualisation if there's no buttcra-

quote:

I think the hover bike needs a bigger trunk to fit her trunk ha ha I'm calling her booty bike girl
ha ha

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

JackMann posted:

So they're lifting old-school trolls and Warcraft trolls, the latter which is already a stew of gross Caribbean stereotypes, and adding... ugh.

The sad thing is, old-school trolls in the kind of assorted parts mix they're offering would be great by itself-- and even better if they could get some wacky gimmick going where they're modular. One of the best (and worst) things about those fuckers was that their parts would come off and keep fighting, and that would be hilarious to see on a minis battlefield.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Some of the bits, like the arm that's growing two hands each holding a spear, are actually kind of clever. It's just that it's all contained in a stew of racist colonialism.

But good news! It's not racist, because GW made orcs with London accents!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

sexpig by night posted:

Is this just Aces & Eights
It seems to have a similar resolution mechanic, just without the cards. I mean, the arts great, and while I shouldn't necessarily be impressed by awards they're presenting, it seems super legit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When you make orcs out with minority traits, it's just and true. When you make orcs with caucasian aspects, it's a joke because we can't be savages, right?

What-white-people-actually-believe.txt

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The posh v. cockney classism of Warhammer 40k is rather different issue. Related, but different.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Stickman posted:

E: How is Roll Player? From watching a play-through, the mechanics looks sound and the dice drafting looks like a nice balancing mechanic. It also looks like it should be sufficiently strategic, given the multitude of ways to score and modify your dice. Does that hold up over multiple plays?

Of the dozens of games I've kickstarted, this is probably the one I've gotten the most play out of. You've pretty much hit it, its well balanced and scores tend to end up close at the end. You see dice and you think "ugh, its a bunch of random crap" but all of the dice manipulation abilities that you get when placing the dice, plus traits and skills really helps mitigate that and turn those random dice into more strategic choices. Also, all the different combinations of Race, Class, Background and Alignment are just great. There's even some combo building possible with the skill cards that can be pretty fun and tense. Like, there's the card I really want to complete this combo, but to get first pick at the store I have to take a really lovely die, what do I do!?!?!

One minor complaint is this, the only ability that seems rather useless in the times I've played is Charisma, as it basically gives you one gold, but if you don't use it that turn, it goes away. There have only been like 2 times that its been something I needed to get what I wanted, whereas the other abilities are always useful. I guess it could be argued that even if you didn't need it that turn, it gives you an extra gold for future turns, but it always feels like "well, die isn't useful anywhere else, guess I'll put it into charisma". Which, come to think of it, is very much like old-school DnD, haha. The reason I bring that all up, really, is because apparently charisma becomes more useful with the expansion due to various thing actually caring about the dice colors/values in all of the stats, including charisma. So that's nice, charisma is useful now, much like it became useful in later versions of DnD. I'm going to back the expansion for sure, because it really seems like its going to take a great, solid dice drafter and polish it to perfection.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Headspace posted an interesting breakdown of their Kickstarter budget and finances if you want to see the actual numbers for a small project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1991378332/headspace-rpg/posts/1902466

Would love more projects to do this.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

lord_daeloth posted:

Roll Player details

Thanks! That sounds right up my alley. I'll probably back the expansion and see if I can pick up the base game from my FLGS in July.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Following on from that Headspace disclosure, Broken Ruler Games (High Plains Samurai) has just put out an update breaking down their budget and along with a spreadsheet showing the allocated breakdown they said this:

Broken Ruler Games posted:

This is where I make my second promise to you, the backers. Honesty and transparency. This is your money going into the project and I want you to know how it's being spent.

I like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You have no idea how badly I want High Plains Samurai to fund, finish up whatever it's got to do, and deliver everything before Far West comes out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

You have no idea how badly I want High Plains Samurai to fund, finish up whatever it's got to do, and deliver everything before Far West comes out.
So what's the status on our favorite ever-so-slightly-delayed kickstarter?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

So what's the status on our favorite ever-so-slightly-delayed kickstarter?
Last update was a month ago (he said he'd have something in two weeks), and like a week ago he had to spend a day rebooting/fixing the software for the official Far West forums, which hasn't had a post since loving January.

And again, as I always remind people: this is a classless d20 game with Fate's aspects, where the mechanics and setting are all written, and all the rules chapters have been provably laid out. And it's over five years late, and at this point theoretically waiting on him to write the GMing chapter.

e: there are people on the KS comments who are still supportive of GMS and that fact is loving mind-boggling to me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Evil Mastermind posted:

A large part of why I am a backer, though I am a sucker for anything Western themed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Last update was a month ago (he said he'd have something in two weeks)
:D
Never change, GMS. Never change.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is someone still maintaining that excuse website?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

Is someone still maintaining that excuse website?

I think inklesspen let it go because it was just getting so sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

A large part of why I am a backer, though I am a sucker for anything Western themed.

yea the main reason is I love the idea of mixing old samurai stuff and old western stuff, but also because it's gonna own to get this before the KS that ended years ago.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If Zero Hour had come with 50 minis instead of 50(!) dice, it would have funded already. I played an early version of this and it was interesting in the way that I think Yacht-style games are interesting, with variable player powers and variable endgame. The art is by the guy who worked on Borderlands.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just got my copy of Blades in the Dark's special edition. It's gorgeous. Really slick presentation, no text on the outside at all, just a pair of abstract knives on the front and two symbols on the spine. Has a satin finish, too.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Arivia posted:

I think inklesspen let it go because it was just getting so sad.

Yeah, I ran it for two years and despite a personal attack from Garethman it's really hard to see the point anymore. He's stopped giving deadlines and his career in elfgaming is ruined, because nobody can hire him as long as Far West isn't out. Best to let it and him be quietly forgotten.

That said, I have my own half-finished western&wuxia game still. I should get back to working on that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, I ran it for two years and despite a personal attack from Garethman it's really hard to see the point anymore. He's stopped giving deadlines and his career in elfgaming is ruined, because nobody can hire him as long as Far West isn't out. Best to let it and him be quietly forgotten.

That said, I have my own half-finished western&wuxia game still. I should get back to working on that.

I'm not disagreeing with anything else, but this bolded part is, beyond all reason, incorrect.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I was only counting deadlines for the release of the final PDF or shipment of the books. Lately all he gives are deadlines by which he will give further news, which is noteworthy only in that he's still blowing those deadlines.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

inklesspen posted:

How hard, seriously, can it be to just stich together some crap and put it out? Like, at this point, just bite the bullet, splooge something out, and call it done to get the noose off your neck. You'll have to eat poo poo for a little while, but that was inevitable at this point.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

How hard, seriously, can it be to just stich together some crap and put it out? Like, at this point, just bite the bullet, splooge something out, and call it done to get the noose off your neck. You'll have to eat poo poo for a little while, but that was inevitable at this point.

It can be devastatingly hard to actually get something written if you're in a particularly bad place. Most people in such a place probably stop loudly making unasked-for promises after the first couple years, though.

I'd have a lot more sympathy if the book hadn't been "printer-ready in a few days, I swear" years ago, and fewer years ago still needed serious amounts of writing and art done.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Just hope you never get to that place, because

That Old Tree posted:

It can be devastatingly hard to actually get something written if you're in a particularly bad place.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't want to dogpile on here, but I write for a living. I also suffer from bipolar disorder, and if my meds aren't working and I'm in a lovely place, there's zero creativity coming out.

HOWEVER, I'm also very open about telling bosses, clients, etc. about that, and setting expectations appropriately. If that's what's going on then I feel nothing but sympathy for the man. He should just be upfront about it and say "yeah, I'm in a bad place, sorry, it'll get done when it's done!" Because setting unrealistic deadlines that you then miss is a self-fulfilling prophecy for someone already depressed: "I know what will work, I'll finish this thing by next week! Oh god I missed it I'm so worthless! I know what will make me feel better, I'll finish this thing by next month!" And that just sucks.

It breaks my heart because I believe he's a really good guy, and he constantly sets himself up for more pain and failure. And man, that's hard to watch, especially when it's a behavior you yourself have worked really hard to overcome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That Old Tree posted:

I'd have a lot more sympathy if the book hadn't been "printer-ready in a few days, I swear" years ago, and fewer years ago still needed serious amounts of writing and art done.

Yeah it's hard to have sympathy for a guy who's consistently over promised and under delivered for years now. Most people get the hint and stop publicly setting deadlines that they will then miss without explanation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think it's even the missed deadlines so much as the fact that he's clearly lied over and over again about how complete it was. When the actual kickstarter ran he claimed the content was nearly complete, and he's said things to that effect repeatedly as well. And then it became clear he still had several chapters to write from scratch.

On top of that, there's his extremely bad attitude about refunds.

I have a lot of sympathy for people struggling with mental illness, but a lot less sympathy for serial liars who rip people off when they don't deliver what they promised.

e. Oh yeah let's also not forget his "art" that consists of photoshopping other people's copyrighted works

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is GMS actually mentally ill or is this that thing where the internet decides to intercede on behalf of someone who is acting like a dipshit and decide that they must be mentallly ill, and therefore deserves our sympathy and not justified anger? (which neatly serves to actually further the stereotype of mentally ill people as untrustworthy or 'damaged people'.)

Even if he is, mental illness isn't a magical shield against being, or being called, a dipshit.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly don't know if GMS suffers from depression or anything, and if he does believe me I honestly don't want to denigrate (correct word?) his condition. It's a serious problem to have to deal with and I completely understand that.

But.

Regardless of anything else, GMS has treated a lot of people in the hobby and the industry like poo poo. He's burned pretty much every industry bridge he's had at this point. He stays quiet on projects that at 5+ years late that he already accepted money for. He's refused to give refunds to people despite being unable to deliver promised products. And then, when people have the temerity to ask where the stuff they paid for is, or ask for a refund on something they're sick of waiting for, or even ask for a general status update, he attacks them.

As has been pointed out, he's been holding up Far West because he's been trying to write one chapter for I think over a year now. He kept saying "On <date> I'll release whatever I have no matter what", then vanishing and <date> comes and goes. On top of that, he has a history of changing what the "current status" of the book is in terms of chapters written or laid out. And again, when people call him out on this stuff he attacks them.

GMS catches poo poo and gets pretty much zero sympathy from most of the hobby/industry because he's spent years getting into fights, being ridiculously unprofessional, and burning pretty much every bridge he had because people disagreed with him. He doesn't have any respect for his customers or backers; in fact, he doesn't consider the people who gave him money in the Far West kickstarter "customers" (he's the source of the old "you backed a process, not a product" line).

Again, I don't know if he does have a condition that keeps him from getting stuff done. But regardless of if he does or not, he's damaged his own reputation probably beyond repair.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Assholes are not immune to mental illness.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

homullus posted:

Assholes are not immune to mental illness.

Correct, and I can feel empathy for him and think he's a total self-sabotaging bag of dicks at the same time.

I have no idea if he is mentally ill or not. The only thing I have to go on is that writing when you're fighting the black dog is drat near impossible, so that is one potential explanation for what's going on, and if it is the case, I feel sorry for what he's going through. His actions are his own responsibility though, and he seems to not be able to do anything but self-sabotage at this point.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Peas and Rice posted:

It breaks my heart because I believe he's a really good guy

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've heard people say for years that "GMS on the internet isn't the same as GMS in person and he's actually a really nice and cool guy" but I don't believe that how people act on the internet is really this vastly different alternate personality from how people are in real life such that they might as well be two separate people and GMS on the internet is a complete rear end in a top hat who unironically acts like an internet tough guy and tries to sue random mailboxes.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Has he burned bridges with industry types too? I thought he was only screwing up with fans and customers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lifg posted:

Has he burned bridges with industry types too? I thought he was only screwing up with fans and customers.

Someone who remembers more details about it should recap the whole deal with GMS, his work for the Icons superheroes RPG, and Cubicle 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lifg posted:

Well, let's see...

Steve Kenson took the Icons license back away from him around the same time the Icons Team-Up fiasco happened. Part of that was that Cubicle-7 was going to help Gareth by printing up the physical copies of ITU, but then they backed out and GMS attacked them. Admittedly I don't know the exact details but I seem to recall something about how it'd cost C7 too much to do it.

I know he's also gotten into slapfights with other designers; GMS once said that Evil Hat's good customer service methods were just a ploy to get people to buy their products (no poo poo). I also remember him getting into a huge Twitter argument a while ago with verified non-rear end in a top hat Cam Banks over something political; with GMS and politics despite the fact that they're both very left-leaning.