Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ya'll are talking about how clowns weren't really a thing when the movie take place. You're neglecting how big Ronald McDonald was at the time. I've said it before but my ideal would be like Tom Kenny playing a very guidance counselor like Pennywise.

Tom Kenny plays a great clown in Shakes the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTXyx5zOzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Tom Kenny plays a great clown in Shakes the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTXyx5zOzE

This is still my favorite Bobcat Goldthwait movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hoo boy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The scene where they spend a day at the spa and eat ice cream?

This has to be some kind of troll. There's no way they'd put the child orgy in the movie.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hahaha holy poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like even a bunch of 12-year-olds should know how stupid of an idea that is.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Well... I, um. Huh.

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am like 90% sure that's a troll and 'that scene' is referring to the scene from the trailer where they're hopping into the river.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on they are going to actually have the distasteful orgy in the sewer scene?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

I am like 90% sure that's a troll and 'that scene' is referring to the scene from the trailer where they're hopping into the river.

Or went in the sewers. Or any scene where they could get wet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why would a little girl even troll about that? There's nothing about that tweet that isn't deeply unsettling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is hosed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am seriously laughing my rear end off at that. That's really dark, lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's good confirmation that even a bunch of 12-year-olds know dumb garbage when they read it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why would a little girl even troll about that? There's nothing about that tweet that isn't deeply unsettling.

Because even young girls have a sense of humor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you're asking on Somethingawful.com why a teenager would make a joke like that, well... the answer is because 'they're a teenager.'

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
holy poo poo if they actually put that in the movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

holy poo poo if they actually put that in the movie.

I think the director was quoted saying that they didn't.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Her troll game is strong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gotta get them pedo dollars I guess

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You're a long way from the middle school mentality.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus.

Since that's made it the elephant in the room once more, has King himself ever offered any comment on the It sewer gangbang? Like "I was really hosed up on drugs, sorry" or "people fail to grasp the metaphor"?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

davidspackage posted:

Jesus.

Since that's made it the elephant in the room once more, has King himself ever offered any comment on the It sewer gangbang? Like "I was really hosed up on drugs, sorry" or "people fail to grasp the metaphor"?

Stephen King:

"I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

That tweet looks like a photoshop, by the way. Check how the name and the twitter handle are without a space in between. Plus, the @sophialillis account is a fan account if you go check on twitter.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

My prediction is that people are going to hate this movie, and the blame will be placed on the departure of Cary Fukunaga as director.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm guessing it was just after the scene we saw in the trailer when they're jumping off a cliff into water? Makes sense to me, anyway. I dunno.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at this thread getting trolled by a twelve year old girl

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Walrus posted:

Someone pretending to be a 12 year old girl

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

absolutely

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Stephen King's 'It' Reboot Gets Official Rating. Not sure how much speculation there's been on this but it's officially :) R :) .

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They showed some extended clips and a preview of a trailer from IT at SDCC.

1) the Losers taking a swim
2) the Losers discussing Derry's bloody history
3) the Losers saving Mike Hanlon and adding him to the group

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I'm still wondering, is the plan to really make two entirely separate movie or will there be flashbacks, crossovers and some sort of call backs and interconnectivity? The adults aren't in teh first movie at all, right?

I could see it working either way but I liked the way the book jumped around between time periods to aid the storytelling. Same with the TV series. I think it works better that way - showing why the grown up characters are the way they are because of their childhoods. I'm reminded of "Sleepers" that similarly dealt with the passage of time and how childhood emotional trauma defines your adulthood and, even in that film, I often got mixed up about which kid was which adult even though they attempted to make it clear.

Thinking about "that scene", the smartest way to do it would just be to replace it with a loving, gentle or even semi-passionate kiss at the most and move on. It would still convey the original intended point and I tend to think that's how they'll handle it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think they'll elide it entirely.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope they high-five in the air, personally.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Thinking about "that scene", the smartest way to do it would just be to replace it with a loving, gentle or even semi-passionate kiss at the most and move on. It would still convey the original intended point and I tend to think that's how they'll handle it.
The thing with the scene is that it has problems beyond just being kids having sex. Honestly, It isn't the only piece of literature that depicts children in sexual situations because its easier for prose to depict sex in away that is clinical and hitting a story beat rather than trying to titilate. And there isn't the discomfort of directing real child actors.

The problem with THE SCENE is that even if it isn't meant to titilate, it speaks to a sense of vouyerism that King's narration often takes on. The amount of times a lady's nipples are used to described her mental state across his books is insane. Like a rule of writing should be don't use a lady's nipples to describe her mental state but I think it happens in It at least twice in It. And when that vouyerism is applied to children and he's discussing dick sizes and Bev's orgasms, it feels a little uneasy.

But even if the writing didn't represent King's worst impulses, the whole concept of the scene is just kinda lovely in the way that it others Bev from the group. I mean a scene with a bunch of boys lining up to kiss Bev is equally dumb even if it's not as equally gross to watch as THE SCENE as written. A strength that the 90s film had over the book is that the romantic feelings are soley between Bill, Ben, and Bev. And even then, I'd say that I'd prefer Bev's crush to be one sided. Any version of the scene or trying to adapt it ultimately devalues Bev as being truly one of the Losers and not just this girl that they all have a crush on.

The blood pack does the job of binding the kids in a way that that treats Bev as part of the group.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope they high-five in the air, personally.

only if they freeze frame and then roll the credits/Christopher Cross song

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

only if they freeze frame and then roll the credits/Christopher Cross song

I felt that was implied, but yes. Is this film set in the 80s? Get some Judas Priest in there, Parental Guidance would suit me even if Turbo hadn't come out yet.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

I felt that was implied, but yes. Is this film set in the 80s? Get some Judas Priest in there, Parental Guidance would suit me even if Turbo hadn't come out yet.

It's funny, because Priest is one of the bands that gets mentioned on a marquee as being part of the Monsters of Metal (I think that's what King went with, along with Maiden) concert in 1980's Derry in the book when Ritchie is walking around as an adult. In the 50's, when he meets IT as the statue, it's Buddy Holly and some other band, I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Is this film set in the 80s?

90's as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BiggerBoat posted:

90's as I understand it.

1989. Also they should put in Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me at the end of the movie. Then a final scene of Mike phoning Bill and the final words should be "It's back."

I'd like to thank the Academy...

• Locked thread