Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

The only good Z game was 1

Hey! I liked Z2.1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey! I liked Z2.1!
I like 2.2 the best I think, despite some of the plot making no sense.

V is like Impact, a one-off transitional game to new hardware with a bunch of assets left over from the previous games, except good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think with both Z2 and Z3 my final decision is "there's one game worth of good content in there, spread over two games."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

V is like Impact, a one-off transitional game to new hardware with a bunch of assets left over from the previous games, except good.

Where's the next incarnation of Neo for the Switch then

ImpAtom posted:

I'd play Z3.1 before Z3.2. At least 3.1 has some satisfying plot beats.

A lot of them are dependent on Z1.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The best thing about z2, was rocking the world with early series low power units till the end game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I think with both Z2 and Z3 my final decision is "there's one game worth of good content in there, spread over two games."
Yeah, the other day I was listening to their soundtracks and thinking about how much better they would be if they didn't go through their entire respective first games without getting to the point. I hope they never decide to break up the games like that again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I want the games to go back to squad systems or even just partner systems permanently. A giant roster is kinda wasted if it's just single units.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I like 3.2 if only because I got to hang with my good friend Noriko and Dix Neuf.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Thanks for reminding me about Gunbuster/Diebuster because now I'm mad about that loving An'ares reveal again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can kinda get it with z2.1/z2.2 because z2 had a ton of series that had a very obvious 'split' point. gurren lagann, gundam 00, code geass, shin getter, etc.

z3 being split into two was moronic though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

z3 being split into two was moronic though.

Z3 was split into one game with the good parts and one game with the bad parts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aside from having a great LP here, I prefer Z2.1 for the non-original plots. They're all handled great, and it's fun to have the Wing boys hanging out with the Celestial Being guys.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Z3 was split into one game with the good parts and one game with the bad parts.

This is my feeling too. Part 1 has lots of neat character interactions and crossover moments, especially the Fumoffu stages. My memory of part 2 is some good crossover moments but mostly it just dumping each plot in its own little area and you go "oh this is a Unicorn stage" or "oh this is a Gargantia stage" and everything is played pretty straight and separate from each other while the mother of all overwrought OG plots stumbles to its conclusion. They have a whole sea planet and Getter 3 never goes there, that's how badly they messed up the crossover element of Z3.2. I'm glad they excelled themselves with V on that front, they just need to yell at Sunrise until they're allowed to put Graham and Patrick in the 00.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 6, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

EthanSteele posted:

They have a whole sea planet and Getter 3 never goes there, that's how badly they messed up the crossover element of Z3.2.

Getter does get to go there. I remember it vividly because Benkei gets a pre-battle convo where he's so very excited to get a chance to shine.

I think it's when Ledo wrecks the Hideauze nest?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Brunom1 posted:

Getter does get to go there. I remember it vividly because Benkei gets a pre-battle convo where he's so very excited to get a chance to shine.

I think it's when Ledo wrecks the Hideauze nest?

Piss, you're right, I could only remember him saying to AG that he really wants to go! I take it all back except the bits that are right.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I'm excited about V though I'll probably wait a bit to pick it up because $75+ is a little steep at the moment

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The one thing I remember about Gargantia in 3.2 is how one of Ledo's attacks has just about it's entire animation only happen on a kill, so if its not a kill all you get is Chamber pulling out an axe and gun, Chamber shooting said gun, and that's it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I super want Gargantia in a game that makes more sense, one that dives a little more heavily into the lost technology thing and makes that the focus of its setting.

Like Alpha Gaiden but without everyone from the first few stages, or Z but if Setsuko's half of the cast wasn't around at all

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Which is especially weird because in Z3.1 when Space Devil Dude mentions the Radiance of the Sun they go "does he mean Tetsujin?" I suppose its just yet another thing they dropped the ball on for part 2.

Yeah I guess Raid and Chain Action are mostly covered by the "use your spells properly" umbrella, I was just mentioning those specifically because they're the ones that get you the things. The other thing you'll need to master if you're doing no upgrades is the Maximum Break mechanic. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have problems regardless, but that's what the helpful Internet strangers' advice is for :)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Tae posted:

I want the games to go back to squad systems or even just partner systems permanently. A giant roster is kinda wasted if it's just single units.
This probably isn't going to be a very popular opinion, but I really don't mind if they don't go to squads (including twins) unless they have a fresh new idea because nowadays, I feel that it adds way too much Intermission fiddling and generally makes the game feel too much about managing squads instead of actual combat in the tactical map - as a mechanic it's really overcentralizing IMO and I think individual unit design stand out a lot less in such systems..

Davzz fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey wasn't that one SRW spinoff with Ultraman and Kamen Rider also on the Vita? How was that one? I loved Lost Heroes so it'd be cool having that same combination in an SRW-like

Edit: Oh hey and it's going for dirt cheap too.

Edit2: As is Pride of Justice ($11 for the import!) but apparently that one sucks (?)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Davzz posted:

This probably isn't going to be a very popular opinion, but I really don't mind if they don't go to squads (including twins) unless they have a fresh new idea because nowadays, I feel that it adds way too much Intermission fiddling and generally makes the game feel too much about managing squads instead of actual combat in the tactical map - as a mechanic it's really overcentralizing IMO and I think individual unit design stand out a lot less in such systems..

I actually really like the intermission fiddling because figuring out really good squad compositions is neat. You can run literally whatever squads you want in Alpha 3 or Z1 and do perfectly fine - I know at least one person who runs literally nothing but series canon squads in these games to the point of running units solo if their series had no canon support units - but if you set up right you get nice benefits. It adds a little bit of strategy to a series where the actual combat on the tactical map is usually tuned to be extremely easy and shallow these days.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also the main benefit is making support units like the super gundam actually relevant

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

I super want Gargantia in a game that makes more sense, one that dives a little more heavily into the lost technology thing and makes that the focus of its setting.
We've talked about this before but Gargantia honestly would have made sense to include in V. You've got its own weird alternate Earth being flooded (As a contrast to Yamato's desert Earth), you've got AI themes with Chamber, the Hideauze war could probably be worked into other series' backstories easily etc.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Edit2: As is Pride of Justice ($11 for the import!) but apparently that one sucks (?)
The difficulty was tuned higher than usual and there were EXP/Gold (and maybe items) farming DLC, which threw some suspicion on attempts of trying to scam money from players.

Though to be fair, it's "more difficult than usual by SRW standards" and not really "Thracia 776 and Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3" - I guess it's just that SRW really doesn't explain the implications of its systems very well so they generally decide to cover this by tuning most games really really easy.

I'm just mostly really ambivalent about Masou Kishin's system overall so the difficulty wouldn't really be a con factor for me in that regards.

Tae posted:

Also the main benefit is making support units like the super gundam actually relevant
I mean, they could also have a proper revamp of the gameplay so that even in a singleton game, non-mains have niches and aren't just really bad versions of the mains, but I suppose I don't really know if there's anyone actually qualified for SRPG design working on SRW any more (closest would be whoever did NEO but then they bungled it with OE) nor would they actually be motivated to do so anyway from a sales perspective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could just rip off fantasy maiden wars

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

they could just rip off fantasy maiden wars

FMW is great in terms of having awesome boss fights but cast bloat effectively killed the idea of 'unit balance' by the time of FMW4. I mean, you have stuff like Yumeko basically being Sakuya except better at everything and Byakuren who is just completely insane and eats enemy armies for lunch.

Edit: Or Flandre, who in FMW3 came with a laundry list of setbacks but made up for it by being able to put out bigger burst numbers than anyone else except a fully-specced Marisa. Come FMW4 and a bunch of characters can out-burst Flandre while having none or almost none of her drawbacks.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 6, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that seems more like fmw4 being the last one so they just gave the player a bunch of broken units to have fun with

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Flan wasn't even worth using in 3

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

The difficulty was tuned higher than usual and there were EXP/Gold (and maybe items) farming DLC, which threw some suspicion on attempts of trying to scam money from players.

Though to be fair, it's "more difficult than usual by SRW standards" and not really "Thracia 776 and Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3" - I guess it's just that SRW really doesn't explain the implications of its systems very well so they generally decide to cover this by tuning most games really really easy.

I'm just mostly really ambivalent about Masou Kishin's system overall so the difficulty wouldn't really be a con factor for me in that regards.

So would you say it's worth trying for $12? Or just a waste of time. I'm just trying to find some SRW stuff to play on my Vita that won't break the bank.

Super Hero Generation looks good so I'll probably pick it up too. I've been meaning to watch some Ultraman anyway and it'll be a good excuse.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

FMW is great in terms of having awesome boss fights but cast bloat effectively killed the idea of 'unit balance' by the time of FMW4. I mean, you have stuff like Yumeko basically being Sakuya except better at everything and Byakuren who is just completely insane and eats enemy armies for lunch.

Edit: Or Flandre, who in FMW3 came with a laundry list of setbacks but made up for it by being able to put out bigger burst numbers than anyone else except a fully-specced Marisa. Come FMW4 and a bunch of characters can out-burst Flandre while having none or almost none of her drawbacks.
I still dunno how one guy (or does he have a small team?) makes a game like this at all.

I haven't gotten 4 yet; local shops say they will be in stock in the middle of the month.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still dunno how one guy (or does he have a small team?) makes a game like this at all.

I haven't gotten 4 yet; local shops say they will be in stock in the middle of the month.

Sanbondo is a group of people. They've got artists, animators, programmers, music composers, etc. working on FMW.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Sanbondo is a group of people. They've got artists, animators, programmers, music composers, etc. working on FMW.
I knew the artists and music composers were separate but I thought the programming and game design was mostly just one guy, but I can be wrong.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I knew the artists and music composers were separate but I thought the programming and game design was mostly just one guy, but I can be wrong.

I read an anecdote on their website about how Meeko came about because the group was discussing what a copout it would be for Shiro to just be a hairball, and how Meeko became a darling of the group subsequently. That's most of where I get the assumption that it's a group rather than one Tobyfox-style dev with help.

By the way, does anyone have any opinions on existing SRW OG mangas? There's a shitton of them on Amazon and I'm not sure which ones are worth picking up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Record of ATX has great art, but will be hard to follow if you don't already know the plot.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Record of ATX has great art, but will be hard to follow if you don't already know the plot.

That's the one I was eyeing the most. There's also this SRW OG Chronicle I'm seeing, which looks like an anthology of side stories. Any opinions there? One of them has a pretty badass cover.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

By the way, does anyone have any opinions on existing SRW OG mangas? There's a shitton of them on Amazon and I'm not sure which ones are worth picking up.
There's also the Divine Wars manga adaptation, which seems okay. The artist has some...issues with drawing hair (especially spiky hair), as seen below with Katina. And IIRC, said artist managed to gently caress up Irm's mullet by flattening it.

On the other hand, this is how they defeat Judecca:

Yes, that's the Kurogane ramming the Giganscudo who is then ramming the SRX while it uses its Blade Kick move.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wow, Katina has Ryusei hair.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

On the other hand, this is how they defeat Judecca:

Yes, that's the Kurogane ramming the Giganscudo who is then ramming the SRX while it uses its Blade Kick move.

But does Ryusei yell "SRX CRASH!"??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hokuto posted:

But does Ryusei yell "SRX CRASH!"??
Here are the pages before that spread (which is all I have on hand from that part of the manga).

It looks more like Tasuku comes up with this batshit insane plan instead of Ryusei. And seemingly on the fly, no less.

• Locked thread